Escapist Podcast: Used Games, B-Movies & JRPGs

Pages PREV 1 2

Mr. Gray:
On the not of LoL. I play Dota 2 and other moba with my friends, many of them are super competitive in LoL. It's a very hostile community, but it's not because it's "Part of the culture" It's so hostile because it's a highly technical genre that forces you to play for 30-60min or you're punished for leaving. If you were forced to be killed and over and over because one person was making more mistakes than is acceptable at your MMR then you're going to be angry. Not that I condone abusive behavior, but a game that requires so much skill and reliance on others is going to make people assholes.

Oh yeah, I can attest to the aggro in that game. I don't think I've ever been encouraged to avoid PvP based titles before, but seeing my buddy play the game and hearing his conversations over vent, it's worse than hardmode raiding in World of Warcraft, which is pretty brutal on it's own right depending on the guild leader and expectations. However, I've always been more of a challenge game person than a competitive game person. Whenever I'm on break and not burned out on college/university I tend to enjoy games like Dark Souls and Ys Origin, while during the college weeks I'm usually stuck with WoW raids assuming I can keep up with all of the raid prep busy work.

Cause I heard it here first, I have a question about the Sony patent. What if you console breaks? If they were to use this disk tying technology, would you have to re-buy your library of games? That seems fucked up because consoles do break.

bdcjacko:
Cause I heard it here first, I have a question about the Sony patent. What if you console breaks? If they were to use this disk tying technology, would you have to re-buy your library of games? That seems fucked up because consoles do break.

Keep in mind, there's no official word from Sony that this will actually be implemented. But I'd imagine if you tied the game to your account and your console breaks, you could then set it up on another console and keep your library intact.

Greg Tito:

bdcjacko:

Keep in mind, there's no official word from Sony that this will actually be implemented. But I'd imagine if you tied the game to your account and your console breaks, you could then set it up on another console and keep your library intact.

Yeah, I was keeping in mind that this was hypothetical. And hypothetically if they went through with this, it would also cause havok with the rental market, unless they sold special disks to rental outlets or you would only get to experience X amount of hours/levels with the game or all the things that you guys were discussing on the podcat.

But if you only got to play a "demo" or limited version through rental, that would undermine the basic premise of like Gamefly's keep it as long as you like policy. So if you only got 5 hours or the game or a handful of plays, why bother keeping the disk for longer than a weekend?

As you guys (and gal) pointed out in the Podcat, this opens up such a big can of worms, I can't see them using it without pissing off everyone.

Eleima:
Enjoyed the podcast, as always! To answer Susan, I didn't send any e-mail with Christmas decorations because we didn't have any this year. We've moved abroad, and with no close friends or family to spend it with, plus the tropical clime, I just couldn't get in a Christmas-y mood.

As for New Year's Resolution... my resolution is to cull my game backlog. Because it's gotten really, really out of hand... I need to get on top of this, and start doing something about it, because it's just getting ridiculous. So that's my 2012 goal.

Ha. I have that same resolution every year. I really wish the games industry could just stop for maybe a year or two to give me time to catch up.

Oh, and thanks to the Escapist crew for answering my question. My daughter Audrey currently has five six nerdy onesies in her wardrobe. I have no issues dressing her in boy clothes! :)

My bigger concern is just when she grows older and starts to be aware of that boy/girl clothes divide. If she winds up liking princess crap (Andraste help me) then fine, but if she likes things of the nerdier variety, I don't want her in that position of feeling like she shouldn't like something because of arbitrary gender lines. I don't want her to be the girl who gets bullied for having Star Wars water bottle in elementary school and I feel like half of making it "normal" for girls (and boys!) to like something is giving them a viable way of doing so. Makes me want to start my own clothing line. Kickstarter, here I come!

I also concur that Final Fantasy really lost it's appeal when it took a turn for the sci-fi. I've just been content to replay VI once every couple of years.

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SUSAN!
I really, really advice you to go for a True Ending in Persona 4: Golden, the reason for that is that if you go for True Ending new Epilogue will be available. I won't spoil anything, but that 6-7 minutes cutscene totally worth it!
SO DO IT! DO IT NAO!

My multi-tasking while gaming got extreme one summer when, mostly unemployed, I would have a game running (probably N64 version of OoT), the computer on next to it with some random fansite, the TV flipping between OoT and constant cable news, with the radio on in the background. Those were also the days of radio (no iPods yet!) and lots of Diablo II SP grinding. Now I'm content with podcast listening while I grind out levels or pick up collectibles in games. In fact, the only time I really listen to podcasts, all of which are gaming related, when I grind/play a mindless game.

In regards to the Sony patent on used games, we're forgetting that the future may well be in digital distribution. Steam has already embraced it, and may well become a console contender, but they don't give users a way to resell the games we download. Sure, their prices are easier to stomach, except this could be right where the industry is headed.

On the multitasking point, I do it a lot as it is, as my computer and my consoles are close to each other. I tend to have a random episode of something like Doctor Who, or Nevermind The Buzzcocks or something like that, as just noise. I remember reading a study somewhere that showed our brains need multiple sensory inputs at once. Even if we don't consciously pay attention to some of them, our sub conscious uses the input. Ever sense reading that, I have been doing it. It's probably placebo, but I do seem to be able to focus on multiple things much better.

IllumInaTIma:
I really, really advice you to go for a True Ending in Persona 4: Golden, the reason for that is that if you go for True Ending new Epilogue will be available. I won't spoil anything, but that 6-7 minutes cutscene totally worth it!
SO DO IT! DO IT NAO!

Well, I am about to get on several planes, so I could just bring Persona with me...

Susan Arendt:

IllumInaTIma:
SO DO IT! DO IT NAO!

Well, I am about to get on several planes, so I could just bring Persona with me...

Atta girl! Just don't get shock when you see new Kanji

You know, I think I don't like console games as much as I should simply because I can't multi-task with them (we've got multiple "TV"s next to each other, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fiddle with any of that wiring...). It's bad to the point where I won't play as many story-based games, because my brain can't wrap itself around two sources saying two different interesting things at once (this can be absolved through pausing Netflix, which works sometimes). Maybe I just haven't found any games lately that get me back into story-based-games, but when I can watch all of Star Trek and play nothing but Minecraft all day anyway...

For the conversation around 1:18:00ish, that's what I do with your podcast. I'll play xcom, civ v, or fire emblem and listen to your podcast or LRR or media sandwich, something that has no visual media that I need to look at in order to enjoy.

edit: 1:30:00 so he's greed from full metal alchemist?

StewShearer:

Eleima:
As for New Year's Resolution... my resolution is to cull my game backlog. Because it's gotten really, really out of hand... I need to get on top of this, and start doing something about it, because it's just getting ridiculous. So that's my 2012 goal.

Ha. I have that same resolution every year. I really wish the games industry could just stop for maybe a year or two to give me time to catch up.

Well, I'm not looking forward to much this year aside from Heart of the Swarm, so maybe I'm safe. You should join this support group I'm in, it's called the band of backloggers. ^_^

StewShearer:
Oh, and thanks to the Escapist crew for answering my question. My daughter Audrey currently has five six nerdy onesies in her wardrobe. I have no issues dressing her in boy clothes! :)
My bigger concern is just when she grows older and starts to be aware of that boy/girl clothes divide. If she winds up liking princess crap (Andraste help me) then fine, but if she likes things of the nerdier variety, I don't want her in that position of feeling like she shouldn't like something because of arbitrary gender lines. I don't want her to be the girl who gets bullied for having Star Wars water bottle in elementary school and I feel like half of making it "normal" for girls (and boys!) to like something is giving them a viable way of doing so. Makes me want to start my own clothing line. Kickstarter, here I come!

And this is exactly why I'm somewhat relieved I had a son instead of a daughter. ;) Unless, of course, he ends up enjoying princessy stuff, and then every moron from here to Nantucket is going to call him names. *sigh* It never ends, when you're a parent, does it? :D

bdcjacko:
So Persona has lousy Smarch weather?

I was thinking the same thing.

Susan Arendt:

It actually happens in February, which in the original game, you just blow right through. (The game effectively jumps from December to March.)

But as for the bonus dungeon in Persona 4: Golden - they could simply have added the bonus content once NG+ is unlocked. Makes sense to me.

redknightalex:

In regards to the Sony patent on used games, we're forgetting that the future may well be in digital distribution. Steam has already embraced it, and may well become a console contender, but they don't give users a way to resell the games we download. Sure, their prices are easier to stomach, except this could be right where the industry is headed.

After gaming for 30 years, if everything goes DD - I may take my leave of this hobby.
The price being lower is a fallacy. My ISP is sure to charge me for the extra Gb's it'll take to download full sized AAA games that SHOULD have been released on disk.

For those that think that the Sony/ Microsoft DRM will be good for developers in that there will be no used game sales, that's also misguided. Why?

Since the game is only usable on one system, people are more likely to stick to big name AAA games (FF, COD, Halo, etc.) Why on Earth is someone going to take a chance at wasting money on an unknown franchise if they can't rent/ borrow/ re-sell. That means less risk taken. That means less new IPs, not more.

So, frankly, if the industry wants to shoot itself in the foot, then go ahead, make it one system per game.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here