Waiting For Godot

Pages PREV 1 2 3

NinjaDeathSlap:
Snip

Ah.
That makes sense.
Thanks for the explanation.

Alright, can I be honest about something?

Despite having to study this play in Drama (and getting a B, mind you), I still haven't a fucking clue what it, or absurdism, is about.

Helen Jones:
This is a play about the pointlessness of life.

It is mainly about two men, Estragon and Vladmir, who are waiting for a man Godot, a play on the word God.

No, Samuel Beckett publicly stated that Godot does not symbolize or represent god, and that if he intended to mean God he simply would have said put God not Godot.

And, since I'm sure some people are reading it wrong in their heads, the t in Godot is silent.

Dohoho, I get it.

In the play, Waiting for Godot, two characters, Estragon and Vladimir, wait all day for Godot. Godot is a man who will give these two characters meaning, jobs, and will just all around make their lives better.

So they wait and wait at a particularly dreary country road and Godot never arrives.

The joke here is that if Tim Burton were to make the play, he'd cast Johnny Depp as Godot and shove him in every scene to be weird and wacky.

Hannibal942:
Dohoho, I get it.

In the play, Waiting for Godot, two characters, Estragon and Vladimir, wait all day for Godot. Godot is a man who will give these two characters meaning, jobs, and will just all around make their lives better.

So they wait and wait at a particularly dreary country road and Godot never arrives.

The joke here is that if Tim Burton were to make the play, he'd cast Johnny Depp as Godot and shove him in every scene to be weird and wacky.

Thus completely eliminating the purpose of the play and ruining the story for the sake of said whacky Depp. I actually agree quite a bit with this one. Even though Burton is not directing this upcoming Lone Ranger adaptation, but the fact that Johnny Depp is obviously cast in a screen-hogging quirky role that totally craps all over the original program makes me feel pretty sick. Even if Burton isn't the director this time, he pretty much popularized the use of Depp in this way. Ugh *rant rant rant* I HATE THIS WORLD AND EVERYONE IN IT!!!!

I *think* I've heard of this play. The only thing I'm aware of though is this character (maybe the titular character?) either can only talk or becomes smart whenever he puts on a hat and then goes on about nothing for about an hour.

Helen Jones:

It is mainly about two men, Estragon and Vladmir, who are waiting for a man Godot, a play on the word God.
There are only two other characters, Pozzo, a slave-master, and his slave Lucky. If this seems like a tiny cast it's because it is, it's desolate. Lucky only has one line in the entire play, but this one line (in my version of the text) takes up 3 entire pages, it's complete gibberish.
(Also saw the Ian McKellen version, and I really wish I could find a recording of Lucky's speech, it was brilliant.)

Point is, God(ot) never shows up, Johnny Depp will never get his part. The play ends with them agreeing to leave and not come back, but they freeze, they never exit the stage.

There was also this lovely story that came out-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1277418/Sir-Ian-McKellen-mistaken-tramp-rehearses-play.html

To lighten the mood at the end, McKellen and Roger Rees did a tap dance. Y'all missed out.

And this is why i go to the comments section to hopefully have someone explain the joke/point because this one was to me at least too obscure to be gotten, sorry grey.

Oh God(ot), no. Nonononononononononononononononono!
All of my nope.

That's just incredibly wrong.

Way too many people here haven't even heard of that play. This is why we can't have nice things. :/

What do you kids learn in school these days?

I'm only familiar with the basic plot of the play, but count me in with those that see this as "Burton is so desperate to find a role for Johnny Depp that he'd even shoehorn Godot in as the star of the adaption."

The saddest part about this is that Godot's costume here almost doesn't seem ridiculous enough.

I think I get it. Let me into the Cool Kid's Club.

Just google the title of the play and wikipedia does the work for you.

I did my dissertation on this play. This made me chuckle a bit.

Grey Carter:
I just want to point out how weird it is that the strip about absurdist theatre is getting fewer confused responses than the strip about Blade Runner.

It is probably we are all pretentious wankers who are not nearly as smart as we think we are, and have never actually seen anything of any major artistic import, we just look it up on wikipedia. So, in light of that, it makes perfect sense that a joke that requires one to have actually seen the film in question flies over people's heads while the joke that requires someone spent a little bit of time on Wikipedia looking up artsy plays is much more widely understood. :P

Well, I thought it was funny.

9 years of acting and I get this. BAHAHA

That's basically what Johnny Depp (is/) does in all his movies right??? Right guys?? Ahhh.. ehhh.. /sigh

OT: Still a good one even if a tad obscure.

This was the first comic you guys have ever posted where I laughed out loud for a good 5 minutes. Good job. This is utter brilliance.

Farther than stars:
Bit of a waste of his talents. That's like casting Judy Dench as 'Bystander #3'.

Don't worry. They'll rewrite it so that he is prominently featured and playing Johnny Depp, rather than doing that weird "acting" thing that people expect of everyone else.

AzureFlameLord:

Thus completely eliminating the purpose of the play and ruining the story for the sake of said whacky Depp.

And all is normal in the world.

Helen Jones:

There are only two other characters, Pozzo, a slave-master, and his slave Lucky. If this seems like a tiny cast it's because it is, it's desolate. Lucky only has one line in the entire play, but this one line (in my version of the text) takes up 3 entire pages, it's complete gibberish.
(Also saw the Ian McKellen version, and I really wish I could find a recording of Lucky's speech, it was brilliant.)

Point is, God(ot) never shows up, Johnny Depp will never get his part. The play ends with them agreeing to leave and not come back, but they freeze, they never exit the stage.

There was also this lovely story that came out-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1277418/Sir-Ian-McKellen-mistaken-tramp-rehearses-play.html

To lighten the mood at the end, McKellen and Roger Rees did a tap dance. Y'all missed out.

Woh! It isn't about the pointlessness of life! It's about the pointlessness in searching for the significance of life - a very big difference. It's just opinion (and what else are we here for), but it's for this reason that I think Lucky's name isn't ironic - he's the most contented character of the four.

I got the joke.

I died a little bit.

But I still laughed my ass off.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook