Zero Punctuation: Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Sticker Star was the biggest disappointment for me last year. If it didn't have the Mario characters in it, it could stand as a completely different IP.

On top of that, I found the sticker mechanic to be boring, the puzzles to be obtuse and the bosses to be, well... lame. There was literally no plot to keep me invested despite all of this, and even the music is just a conglomeration of tracks we've heard in previous Mario games!

In as few words as possible, Sticker Star is 1.) Not a Paper Mario game, and 2.) Not fun.

Doesn't Yahtzee also fancy the Mario & Luigi games? I think that's another thing that Nintendo keeps under the door, along with Mole Mania and Metroid Sidescrollers.

Also it seems that SS is a bad acronym for a series, first it was Skyward Sword (Which I thought was a very flawed masterpiece) and now Sticker Star, will the next Donkey Kong be Supreme Simian or something?

Let's do hope the next Mario & Luigi game can make up for Sticker Star.

RIP Kammy Koopa :'(

Yes, Nintendo. Where IS Wario? He was suspiciously absent in that other game you made where the entire points was collecting as many coins as possible.

darkszero:

Kuomon:
To answers Yahtzee's question, Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a puzzle game with adventure elements, a Puzzle adventure if you will. This is clear by how the game approaches sticker use and how it rewards you for winning battles in a single turn. I'll agree though that this game would have been probably better served not being related to the Paper Mario series.

The real question is whether it is a good puzzle game, and although I'll admit I'm enjoying the game thus far, it does need a lot more polish, and I fear that it's the series' classic comedy that's keeping me entertained as opposed to the game mechanics. If you have a 3DS give it a try and decide for yourself.

This game is a Paper Mario in the sense of "a mario game where everything is made of paper, and built around this fact" and not "part of the Paper Mario series". It's relevant to point that the N64 Paper Mario is known as "Mario Story" in Japan.

I agree with your choice of "Puzzle Adventure" for this game's genre, it certainly fits. I played this and I had lots of fun with it, in particular with the matching music and the bosses (and the music in these fights). But yeah, if you play this expecting something like TTYD, you'll be VERY disappointed...

Naming inconsistencies aside (which was a big problem for most of the 90's), you can't really extricate Sticker Star from the Paper Mario series just because it's a departure from the original way the series was designed. Hell, before being Mario Story, the original Paper Mario was going to be Super Mario RPG 2.

Ah, to be young and collect and trade Panini football stickers. Good times. Here in Mexico people still trade those, come World Cup season, BTW.

Yeah, the main reason I play Paper Mario is for the partners and the stories. If they skewed everything for that then I can safely say that it was a good idea I asked my mom not to get it for me during Christmas.

Beat boxing Yahtzee.

I want that ringtone!

All this video has told me, is that I should play Paper Mario.

okay now that episode had me laughing back and forth

but seriously time to play some Paper Mario on the ol' GameCube

This is one episode where I feel Yahtzee actually implies (either deliberately or accidentally) a good point about things. At what point does a franchise become old and stale such that it's time to retire it. Surely there must be a point at which there is just no more money or excitement to be bilked from it. Everything has a lifetime; the trick is knowing when something's time has finally expired. (Of course, in some cases it's not that the franchise or idea has expired; it's more the creative soul has been sucked out of it by the corporate suits).

Actually, the saddest thing about PMSS is that even the premise they had made could have worked, but Nintendo blew it. If they had added badge stickers that would affect your stats, doing things similar to TTYD, it would have solved the need for proper collectibles that the game has, and it would have created an interesting player chosen balance between permanent upgrades and items for attacks. If the player was given a way to swap such badges into and out of inventory, there would have been much more strategy than there was before.

However, it would also have to replace the settings with something interesting, return the battle system back to the single damage system that the series invented (and threw away with this game) that made the mathematics behind the game easy to think about and plan with.

Kuomon:

Mr.Tea:

Rorschach II:
You have to give PM:SS credit where it is due. Atleast it tried something different with the mechanics rather than rehashing the same mechanics and putting a slightly higher number on the end of the title a la NSMB and Galaxy.

Wasn't his point that they rehashed everything else instead?

I feel he's exagerating on this point. Was anyone really that angry when they reused art assets from Megaman in Megaman 2? Assets from Mass Effect 2 in 3?

You just used a 30-something year old game in making your argument regarding something that is a current release.

I want you to think long and hard about that. And consider the undying shame you have brought to yourself.

(and I'm intentionally ignoring your point about ME. Your first comparison is just that stupid.)

Tsk. I guess I should be grateful that this video has removed yet another temptation to buy a new console I don't need or especially want, but still, disappointing that the game sucks.

Incidentally, I was eating lunch when I watched this, and "...I've just been advised not to finish this sentence" ended with marinara sprayed across my monitor, so take some pride in that, Mr. Croshaw.

Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty, you're listening to the boy from the big bad city. This is jam hot.

UNTS UNTS UNTS UNTS

Kargathia:

GonzoGamer:
Was the neglected child under the stairs always a "thing" or do we have JK Rowling to thank for that?

Probably Rowling and everyone else adapting to modern houses not having a basement. Gotta stuff those ginger step-childs somewhere.

They all had a Dickens of a time.

Edit:

Something something Cinderella, something.

*snores...zzzzZZZzzzz.....*
...Wha? What? Another Mario 3DS game, and it seems like it's completely phoning it in?
How utterly shocking. I had never considered this possibilit-*snores...zzzZZZZzzzzz....*

Yahtzee, if you were disappointed with Sticker Star, you should check out "Virtue's Last Reward". Much better.

Kuomon:

Mr.Tea:

Rorschach II:
You have to give PM:SS credit where it is due. Atleast it tried something different with the mechanics rather than rehashing the same mechanics and putting a slightly higher number on the end of the title a la NSMB and Galaxy.

I feel he's exagerating on this point. Was anyone really that angry when they reused art assets from Megaman in Megaman 2? Assets from Mass Effect 2 in 3?

I feel you haven't fully watched the video because it wasn't just art assets he was talking about. If you had watched the entire thing you would know that.

Xman490:
You know what's not even let to slip out of that cupboard? Wario LAND. That series had a great formula: interesting and often unique worlds with little puzzle dungeons scattered inside them, coin collecting, and psychedelic bosses.

And then Wario Land 4 and Wario Land Shake It came out and pissed all over that with terrible level design (all the levels are designed for running back to the starting point, and thus are a complete bore on your way to the thing that activates "rush back to the start" mode), putting health back in the game and making it based on that instead of Wario's cool transformation abilities, and that really stupid "rush back to the start of the level" thing isn't even fun despite them basing the levels around that with no regard to the game experience on the way to the end point.

Nintendo ruined Wario Land. Let it stay in the cupboard.

Nintendo has been taking the Mario franchise in this bizarre direction for the longest while now. It always seems to be about going "back to basics". With the NSMB series they've essentially taken out all story elements and just left you with the old "Peach captured by Bowser" bit, and they did that with SM3D Land as well.

I feel like saying "but Nintendo! You aren't Sonic Team! You're actually good at creating new characters and stories within the franchise, why are you so scared to do that?"

Anyway, glad to see Yahtzee enjoys the series. I love Thousand Year Door, and consider it easily one of the greatest games ever created. A solid, fun RPG wrapped in endless charm and originality.

I don't own a 3DS, but if there was one game series that I was really looking forward to enjoy in 3D, it was the Paper Mario thingamabobs.

Tinker Tailor: Soldier Spy is a big letdown, because the sticker mechanic feels like a mix between Little Big Planet and World of Wankcraft for retards. I really, really don't get it and neither does the poor person that bought it, hoping we were in for some 3D laughs and some official Big N wonkiness.

REALLY didn't like Paper Mario: Sticker Star, massive disappointment. And ironically enough, it's mostly the fault of Shigeru Miyamoto. He felt the original version of this game was too much like The Thousand-Year Door, and decided to move the focus AWAY from the RPG elements, and AWAY from the story and AWAY from the interesting characters and just focus on the tedious sticker system. Seriously, this game feels so generic and homongenous, I just gave up after the beginning of the second world. There are NO unique characters or enemy designs, and yeah, the witty dialogue is still there but pushed to the side, as if to say "Okay, here's some witty dialogue I guess, but take it quickly before we get back to the REALLY important stuff, like backtracking to collect MORE freaking stickers!" Also, no exp. makes me sad. Now all you get are coins which are primarily used to buy, wait for it, MORE FUCKING STICKERS! Also, you can use them to gamble for more chances to use your stickers in battle, but seriously, I'm not motivated at ALL to play through this game! The story's so simplistic with nothing to really motivate me to move forward other than "what new stickers will you find?" Also, Kersti is THE worst Paper Mario partner, at least from what I've seen. Now, sorry to sound mean towards people who like it, but if you enjoy it, fine, hooray for you, I just find it an incredibly let-down, ESPECIALLY after hearing it could have been like TTYD. >:(

mjc0961:

Kuomon:

Mr.Tea:

I feel you haven't fully watched the video because it wasn't just art assets he was talking about. If you had watched the entire thing you would know that.

Considering I own the game I felt really comfortable in my assertion, but just to humor you I went and watched the episode again. Besides the art assets and the game not being very good in terms of game design (which I mentioned I agreed with in a separate post earlier in the thread) the only other thing he complains about is the awkwardness of the 3D "things" you collect in the game, and while, granted, these don't fall under the rehashing qualification, I think it's pretty clear that they are ART ASSETS.

The game is kind of nice but the lack of unique humor and sceneries is a real loss to the series. Is happening with other Nintendo games too. it's getting more serious and boring, I think this change is to please the hardcore gamers. (Wow, can't believe I already miss the Wii.)

Anyway, I hope that the same doesn't happen with "Mario & Luigi".

The single use attacks are what's really keeping me from this game. I'm an item hoarder in RPGs and this mechanic would drive me nuts.

I'm playing through the game right now, and the feelings expressed in this video are pretty much identical to mine. The Paper Mario series was always one of my favorites. This one doesn't feel like a Paper Mario game at all. It feels like they tried making Paper Mario into normal Mario with a few BS mechanics thrown in. I despise the inventory puzzles since it always means I have to go back to get a certain sticker to do it. They're more of a chore than anything. All of the charm of the previous games is also gone. We get one new character, the sticker guide thing. She's pretty decent, but participates so little I sometimes forget she's there.

But there are a few stand-out levels that I enjoyed so far. The level in the forest where you lose all your stickers, your hammer, and the ability to paperize was interesting. I also liked the game show level... though the 'games' in it were dull and uninspired. Whack-A-Mole, quiz time, ball under moving cups, and quiz while whacking stuff. Meh.

Don't even get me started on the bosses either.

Gilbert Hays:
The credits raises an interesting question: What would Yahtzee make of any sort of new Conker game?

He'd probably jump to the same conclusion as the rest of us if a new Conker game was made: Rare lost it's spark years ago and this new Conker game is an absolute travesty that comes nowhere near the heights of the original.

Pretty much just take any review or Banjo Kazooie Nuts N' Bolts and substitute the name for 'Conker' and you can call it a day.

To be honest, I actually completely agree with Yahtzee for once. The sticker system is just flawed and annoying, and the game would have been much better without it. Nintendo, we don't want annoying new gimmicks in our Paper Mario games. We just want Paper Mario.
Also, surprised that Yahtzee didn't mention the EXTREMELY annoying NPC character that you see in every 3D Zelda game.

shiajun:
at Yahtzee doing the level remix dub and the 3DS pleasure sounds.

I heard that Skrillex is already on his way to Australia.

I would have bought a 3DS just to play this game. I can confidently state that Paper Mario is my all time favourite game, with TTYD coming in close second. Was super excited when I found out that the game play was going back towards the style of TTYD and away from SPM, but after reading the reviews I sadly decided to give this game a miss. When we get a true sequel to TTYD, then I will quite happily buy it. Until then, well, I feel like pulling out the N64 again and booting up the original.

Nintendo's problem is that they count entirely too much on their customer's loyalty to sell a product. I feel like every Nintendo-brand game that's come out in recent years has been lazy and half-hearted. People buy Nintendo systems because there are always five or six stellar titles that make the system worth owning, something which I suspect Nintendo has caught on to.

I love Paper Mario, but I got bored with Sticker Star so quickly that I was baffled as to why I bought it in the first place. Like everyone else says, it doesn't really 'feel' like a Paper Mario title. It's just hashed together junk that Nintendo knew it could sell us by attaching a name. Makes me worried about Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

Actually Yahtzee, I think Conker got transferred to the closet underneath Microsoft's staircase.

sethisjimmy:
Nintendo has been taking the Mario franchise in this bizarre direction for the longest while now. It always seems to be about going "back to basics". With the NSMB series they've essentially taken out all story elements and just left you with the old "Peach captured by Bowser" bit, and they did that with SM3D Land as well.

I feel like saying "but Nintendo! You aren't Sonic Team! You're actually good at creating new characters and stories within the franchise, why are you so scared to do that?"

Anyway, glad to see Yahtzee enjoys the series. I love Thousand Year Door, and consider it easily one of the greatest games ever created. A solid, fun RPG wrapped in endless charm and originality.

Kinda have to agree about Mario. I was recently over at my sister's house with my nephews and we ended up playing New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii U. It felt so dull and copy pasted from previous games that I felt sorta sick playing it. I mean seriously, that flying squirrel power up is almost exactly the same as the raccoon suit. Are you even trying anymore guys?

In comparison, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, another game I played with my nephews, was boat loads of fun. Even if it is a "back to basics" kind of game like NSMB.

On the subject of Paper Mario, I have yet to finish either of the first two games. I need to rectify that sooner or later.

hurricanejbb:
Yahtzee, if you were disappointed with Sticker Star, you should check out "Virtue's Last Reward". Much better.

Its an anime game. He will NEVER play it no matter how good it is.

With the sticker thing, maybe Nintendo thought Little Big Planet was so successful because of the sticker collecting. I would invest in the idea of a Refrigerator to couch conveyor system.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here