Escape to the Movies: Gangster Squad

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Gangster Squad

MovieBob gives us an inside look into The Untouchables Gangster Squad.

Watch Video

The trailers look......generic, to say the least.

They cut the entire movie theater scene? I thought they were just putting off the release until everything calmed down. Ugh, I wanted this to be good because I love this genre and I'm really disappointed it's a dud.

The most dramatic part of the whole movie is the one part they didn't have the balls to show.
Nice to see how we're still letting that shit stain control us.

Safaia:
They cut the entire movie theater scene? I thought they were just putting off the release until everything calmed down. Ugh, I wanted this to be good because I love this genre and I'm really disappointed it's a dud.

But heaven forbid they don't include that scene in literally every trailer they air on television.

You know whats cool? Going into the Hobbit wondering when the hell that 'Monsterpocalypse' movie is gonna come out and not 30 seconds later seeing 'Pacific Rims' trailer, AND THEN seeing that Idris Elba's going to be in it... good times.

Once again, I notice it. When Bob gets worked up, his accent comes to light. Damn, I had a friend that really wanted to see this too. Oh well, he probably won't mind as his taste in movies is a bit on the "Blow shit up" side.

I was hoping for a surprise. My thoughts on seeing the trailer were, "Hey. That looks like it could be interesting" followed by, "Why is it coming out in January?" I was hoping Bob would tell me it was an exception to movie release scheduling.

You still don't get it Bob, you didn't get flak for hating the Expendables, you got it for pretty much insulting the audience by calling them meatheads and calling those who went to see it instead of Scott Pilgrim "sheep". And you got it once again after your review of Expendables 2 by failing to acknowlegde your mistake of insulting the audience and simply believed you got hate just for hating the 1st film

DVS BSTrD:
The most dramatic part of the whole movie is the one part they didn't have the balls to show.

Safaia:

But heaven forbid they don't include that scene in literally every trailer they air on television.

{Warning random guessing that could result in an unknown spoiler of Gangster Squad}
Well there's more to the scene than the shooting likely the events tied to it have been either been removed/altered or broken up and done separately like if they needed X,Y,Z,R,I and D killed attacked so they planned to do it all at once so they invited/ made sure to do it when they were all in one place. Unless it was a random show of force to intimidate someone(s)

{Again Don't take the above to be a spoiler or not I haven't seen the film I could of fluke'd into being right I don't have a clue.}

I'm kinda surprised no one's tried to link that unfortunate event with Inglorious Basterds now that I think about. It wasn't to long ago.

I was really hoping that Gangster Squad would be 2013's The Grey. A surprisingly good January movie that tides us over until March. Looking at the other movies coming out in January (Hansel and Gretel, The Last Stand, Broken City, etc.) it doesn't look like there will be any really good movies for a while.

Lucane:

DVS BSTrD:

Safaia:

{Warning random guessing that could result in an unknown spoiler of Gangster Squad}
Well there's more to the scene than the shooting likely the events tied to it have been either been removed/altered or broken up and done separately like if they needed X,Y,Z,R,I and D killed attacked so they planned to do it all at once so they invited/ made sure to do it when they were all in one place. Unless it was a random show of force to intimidate someone(s)

{Again Don't take the above to be a spoiler or not I haven't seen the film I could of fluke'd into being right I don't have a clue.}

I'm kinda surprised no one's tried to link that unfortunate event with Inglorious Basterds now that I think about. It wasn't to long ago.

I'm actually certain that was the case given how prevalent the scene was in the hype.

Silly Lucane, you know shootings in movie theaters only matter when the victims are American ~_~
(Or at least not Nazis)

Kitsune Hunter:
You still don't get it Bob, you didn't get flak for hating the Expendables, you got it for pretty much insulting the audience by calling them meatheads and calling those who went to see it instead of Scott Pilgrim "sheep". And you got it once again after your review of Expendables 2 by failing to acknowlegde your mistake of insulting the audience and simply believed you got hate just for hating the 1st film

Well, he does have a point. Most moviegoers are sheep - sheep who would rather watch bland, completely uncreative garbage over genuinely good, inventive films. As for the "meathead" thing, he was basically only saying that people who think the brainless, idiotic action movies of old - which The Expendables is supposed to be a throwback to - are better than the much more intelligent, well-written and well-acted action films of today (y'know, like Scott Pilgrim) are meatheads. And he wasn't wrong about that, either ...

With a name like "Gangster Squad" I never expected anything good, even with the cast. Seriously, Gangster Squad? What a terrible title.

When I saw the trailer, even knowing that this movie was coming out, I saw Ryan Gosling's character and immediately thought that this was supposed to be LA Noire.

Seriously, Gosling in the suit & hat is a dead ringer for Cole Phelps. He even romances the glamorous girl for no goddamn good reason.

DVS BSTrD:

Lucane:

DVS BSTrD:

I'm actually certain that was the case given how prevalent the scene was in the hype.

Silly Lucane, you know shootings in movie theaters only matter when the victims are American ~_~
(Or at least not Nazis)

Oh you're right, silly me indeed.

But if that's the only qualifier then you'd think a lot more locations would be off limits in media though I guess there's an un-written grace period till you can do something similar to real life tragedies(even if it's not directly inspired by it) and Gangster Squad just came along a touch to late and way to soon at the same time.

This is a silly question, but in all the trailers all the faces look a bit CGI'd to me. Is there a reason for this or am I so involved with videogames I've lost my ability to recognise the real world?

I only know of Nick Nolte because Rifftrax/MST3K make fun of him all the time.

I know what you mean about Pacific Rim. Movie looks so damn cool I can hardly wait. I don't often go to theaters. I prefer DVD/Blu Ray for a variety of reasons. But I'll be there for that one.

BrotherRool:
This is a silly question, but in all the trailers all the faces look a bit CGI'd to me. Is there a reason for this or am I so involved with videogames I've lost my ability to recognise the real world?

I don't know if you care or not, but this actually made me laugh out loud. So, you know, thanks for that. :)

I'm sorry, but did you say 30 Minutes or Less wasn't good?
Or that Zombieland was better than it?
This, combined with your claim that Family Guy got better after its corpse was zombified, leaves me with no other option.
I'm revoking your opinion license.

On an unrelated note some good things do come out in the beginning of the year. The Grey and Chronicle were both pre-March.

BrotherRool:

Can't tell but it might have been "enhanced" a la 300 or Sin City, but to a lesser extent than those blatant examples. A lot of times a significant amount of work goes into cinematography and lighting, and then is polished even more in post-production to create a subtle level of sur-reality, but it often goes unnoticed unless it's heavy-handed like the aforementioned. See also: Scott Pilgrim

So, a gang of badass LA cops who go off the grid and straight-up murder the bad guys in pursuit of the greater good. I liked that idea better the last time, when it was The Shield.

Markunator:

Well, he does have a point. Most moviegoers are sheep - sheep who would rather watch bland, completely uncreative garbage over genuinely good, inventive films. As for the "meathead" thing, he was basically only saying that people who think the brainless, idiotic action movies of old - which The Expendables is supposed to be a throwback to - are better than the much more intelligent, well-written and well-acted action films of today (y'know, like Scott Pilgrim) are meatheads. And he wasn't wrong about that, either ...

A-fucking-men. And seriously anyone who still has a chip on their shoulder about that after TWO YEARS: seek help, you need it.

Anyway, kinda sucks how this turned out to be mediocre. I'm always up for a good gangster flick. Also, January is the dead zone for games as well. Literally nothing besides Anarchy Reigns looks remotely interesting.

I wonder if Bob liked Blankman. Jon Polito was in that.

Markunator:

Kitsune Hunter:

This is nonsense. I like intelligent, well-written, well-acted movies, but Scott Pilgrim just didn't appeal to me. I saw The Expendables and enjoyed it, and then Bob insulted me for having the gall to hold an opinion contrary to his own.

He also later talked about "At the Mountains of Madness", and personally put blame for its cancellation on anyone involved in geek culture who didn't put money into Scott Pilgrim. Even if there's a cause-and-effect there, I still don't want to put money into a movie I don't enjoy.

bob, when did this turn into a trailer show? there was a lot more trailer footage without your lovely voice talking over it than usual, was the movie really that uninteresting?
also yes, if you didn't go watch Scott Pilgrim because you wanted to watch the expendables you are directly responsible that we will not be getting "at the mountain of madness". and i am pretty sure ten years from now nobody will remember the expendables but Scott Pilgrim will be one of those movies that tanked but is largely beloved by the people who have actually seen it.

So, we have 2 months of Movie Bob being able to review basically whatever the hell he wants. Might as well go with B movies, I'm sure it would be more entertaining. I want to hear Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter reviewed by a critic.

For a movie that talks so much about betrayal, the screenwriter didn't seem to understand how it works. Here's how you get a major character to feel betrayed: have somebody the major character trusts implicitly do something the major character doesn't want them to. This literally never happens in Gangster Squad.

The girl who's deathly afraid of the main gangster and keeps sleeping with him even though she's also banging one of the good guys? Unshakably noble. The unknown Latino guy who joins up just because he overheard the good guys' plans? A rock. The informant Gosling literally has a warrant for who's seen hanging out with the main bad guy and only stands to gain from selling him out? Suicidally dedicated to his friends in the face of a man who literally ripped a guy in half.

Hats off to whoever made that trailer though. Those things are an under-appreciated art form all their own.

Aconite333:
I only know of Nick Nolte because Rifftrax/MST3K make fun of him all the time.

You know what I want? I want a movie where Nick Nolte stars alongside Tom Waits. If you thought Christian Bale's Batman talking to Tom Hardy's Bane was illegible, just imagine those two having a conversation!

Souplex:
I'm sorry, but did you say 30 Minutes or Less wasn't good?
Or that Zombieland was better than it?
This, combined with your claim that Family Guy got better after its corpse was zombified, leaves me with no other option.
I'm revoking your opinion license.

You can do that? Wouldn't we have live in some fucked up, orwellian government with no respect for people's individuality for you do that?

Well, at least Jon Polito is in it.

Well that's a shame. I was really looking forward to this movie as I haven't seen a good gangster movie in a long time. I'll probably still watch it myself but I usually trust your opinion on these things.

Loved the tag at the end, Bugsy Malone is great. Just made my GF sit threw it a few weeks ago... she felt differently.

BOB! Bob, Bob listen to me, are you listening? Because you need to be listening. The reason why people get on you for the expendables review is because YOU ARE HYPERBOLIC IN YOUR REVIEWS, of the expendables franchise at least. With the first movie you were almost decrying its popularity as the end of fucking civilization, the second movie, aside from being hyperbolic, you just called all the characters different names as it related to them from other movies, which isn't funny, that kind of thing has never been funny, it is a shallow attempt at humor, it is less of a low hanging fruit, and more of a piece of fruit that's been lying on the ground for several weeks and is now infested with worms. Please get this through your head, it wasn't because you gave them a bad review, it's your hyperbole, no one likes straight faced accidental hyperbole.

Safaia:

Basically it's one of those "wait for the Blu-Ray UNCUT edition" movies I guess... But by then we all might have our attention elsewhere...

I was going to say rewatch Public Enemies as it's recent then I checked and it came out over 3 years ago :| time really does fly doesn't it.

So instead go watch Broadwalk Empire season 3 (or at least the last episode) instead for gangster action.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here