Escape to the Movies: Gangster Squad

Pages PREV 1 2 3

On the Subject of The Expendables and Bullet to the Head...and while we're on the subject The Last Stand.

Please don't let this be the opening salvo in an onslaught of every single cast member of those two god awful films starring in solo projects that all boil down to "I may be old, but I can still punch a guy in the face."

You said what I expect of it. Though thank you for mentioning Bugsy Malone. I can go cheek that out with a friend, instead of going to see Ganster Squad.

Seriously bob, liking a stallone movie but no gangster squad? It's like you don't want anybody's respect. I think your a hack now. Go do something else.

persona J:
Seriously bob, liking a stallone movie but no gangster squad? It's like you don't want anybody's respect. I think your a hack now. Go do something else.

It's "you're", not "your", and if you don't like him, maybe you should go do something else. Also, why would he like Gangster Squad? He stated why he didn't like it.

Never heard of this movie before. Sad to see it's not a Police Squad style movie.

I went into the movie with no previous knowledge of it except that it was a gangster movie and I've never got on with gangster movies.

I enjoyed it.

Diddy_Mao:
On the Subject of The Expendables and Bullet to the Head...and while we're on the subject The Last Stand.

Please don't let this be the opening salvo in an onslaught of every single cast member of those two god awful films starring in solo projects that all boil down to "I may be old, but I can still punch a guy in the face."

It is. Enter: "A Good Day to Die Hard"

and hey, at least that new Universal Soldier movie takes care of two of them.

persona J:

The part he clipped out of that shows perfectly why: A comment like "What are we, vikings?" when the protagonist starts a fight with an axe is comic relief.

Kind of like they have Jason Statham fighting Sem Schilt in The Transporter 3. Schilt is a kickboxing world champion, likely the best heavyweight around, known for using his brains during his fights, and he is a giant, he is 2,13 metres tall. You see, that's comic relief, that's funny. It's the thing you grin at for a split second just before more action starts. That's what sets a well-written and engineered movie apart from a bad one.

While this gangster movie comes across as a ten a penny stereotypical action flick. Even if you haven't seen it, the cast instantly gives away how shitty the movie is: A black person and an hispanic in side roles for stupid American political correctness, a young woman in a heavily cut red dress, cuz, titties. None of which would ever, ever happen in those days, where in the setting of that time and location, only white men meant anything in society as it was, so it invalidates any historical accuracy.

And that's a total killer if an action movie hasn't got another reason to be interesting, like for instance being hilariously over the top (Kill Bill) or be a comedy-action (Expandables). Maybe one could argue that if those two aren't there, very good choreography and action could save it (Ong Bak being a good example. Shitty movie, rescued by good action) but what indication is there that this gangster movie has that?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here