Cultural Thievery

Pages PREV 1 2

I can't be bothered by any form of thievery that doesn't involve taking away things from others.

Come on now... when was the last time you saw a scroll painting with text that legible?

this will lead to a terrible prophecy:

my big fat chinese wedding.

comming soon....

2xDouble:
To be fair... Star Wars kinda was taken from samurai stories... and mixed with Westerns.

It's hard to be influenced by one and not the other, since there was a huge back-and-forth between old American westerns and Japanese samurai movies.

Nice art for the comic this week.

*looks at linked article*

Yeah, no I think it's a hoax. The paint that is shown in the article looks less like the original alien and more like the later renditions of the creature. There is only one way to explain it...

It's a hoax, I'm calling it.

The aliens in the picture more closely resembles the praetorian aliens from the Alien vs Predator games that came out later, long after both Giger's drawing and the original 2 movies.

Unless someone invented time travel I don't see how this could predate Giger's drawing.

Piorn:
That's like saying Egyptians invented Stargate, because all the symbols and things were used in pyramids first.

No, they were used by aliens first. Weren't you paying attention?

Spygon:
The funny thing is that you have the Norse god of thunder and lighting in the picture while trying to joke about culture stealing.

Damn Norse, stealing Thor's likeness like that....

OlasDAlmighty:

The aliens in the picture more closely resembles the praetorian aliens from the Alien vs Predator games that came out later, long after both Giger's drawing and the original 2 movies.

Unless someone invented time travel I don't see how this could predate Giger's drawing.

Not only that, but if you look at Qi Baishi's paintings, he seems to have an obsession with making things flat,
This is about as much atmospheric perspective as you'll get from his paintings. Blurring things out like the third alien in your original pic is not something you'll ever find in a Qi Baishi painting.

Not only that, but everything Qi Baishi painted was painted from observation and has a lot in common with gesture drawings. That alien painting is neither painted from observation nor a gesture painting.

I actually really like that painting.

It's o-fcourse a load of old bullshit, but it's nice.

So if this is to be believed, Giger saw this mans work, and ripped it off to make something that looked tangentially similar, and then a film series was made from that tangentially similiar artwork and itself only looked tangentially like Givers work and eventually ended up looking just like the original piece that no one else knew Giger had ripped off as a result.

........... OKAI!

It's clearly a painting of what the Xenomorphs were like in the later films, comics and games. Not really anything like Gigers work at all.

I am deeply ashamed to even have watched such RIP-OFF films! It's just the white western monopoly trying to steal more cultural treasures like SpongeBobuuuu, Non-Disneyland, and Wing Xing Tu-Beng (roughly translated: Starwars).

canadamus_prime:
I wonder if Gieger had ever actually seen that painting and this is all a major coincidence. ...or a hoax.

My money is on a hoax.

The xenomorph chinese painting is rather pretty though

SirDerick:

OlasDAlmighty:

Not only that, but if you look at Qi Baishi's paintings, he seems to have an obsession with making things flat,
This is about as much atmospheric perspective as you'll get from his paintings. Blurring things out like the third alien in your original pic is not something you'll ever find in a Qi Baishi painting.

Not only that, but everything Qi Baishi painted was painted from observation and has a lot in common with gesture drawings. That alien painting is neither painted from observation nor a gesture painting.

I dunno...but...

...what if all those ancient alien folks...were...you know Right! He mighta seen the xenomorphs man!

whats the difference between inspired by and stolen?

because by that logic EVERYTHING was stolen

2xDouble:
To be fair... Star Wars kinda was taken from samurai stories... and mixed with Westerns.

Specifically Kirasawa films, not samurai stories. Just try to watch The Hidden Fortress without seeing a version of The Phantom Menace with all the stupid drained out. :p

The Chinese painting sure is cool. But it is not by Qi Baishi. If it was, the professional artist would have dated the painting and stated where he painted it. This artwork only bears his name.

Not to mention, as stated above, that they look exactly the xenomorphs in the second movie.

To be fair, the east rips off just as much from us as we do from them. Nothing is truly original anyway.

The sad thing is, their hats are far shinier than ours.

Vault101:
whats the difference between inspired by and stolen?

because by that logic EVERYTHING was stolen

Penny Arcade answered that question a long time ago.

Hoax ot not, the paintings worth more now than before the claim.

I'm just admiring how somebody manages to paint individual teeth in watercolor.

Well for an example of the opposite, Yoshiyuki Tomino, whom is the creator ofMobile Suit Gundam, cited Robert A. Heinlein's Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers as a source of inspiration.

I took think it's a hoax but I have to comment that it doesn't resemble the aliens from the second film at all aside from their posture. The head's dome is completely flat and smooth unlike the warriors from Aliens who had ridges. The dome is actually closer to that of the Queen's, or Praetorians for those who read the comics.

Is the whole "stolen" thing ironic?

Farther than stars:

And Picasso's not the only artist. Ayn Rand's Objectivism actually suggests that all art is based on natural observations.

So you mean she actually read a theory of art textbook once? Typical of Rand, after all she took sophomore-level philosophy and economic theory and claimed she'd created some amazing new philosophy.

A valiant effort at ukiyo-e Cory. Good on you. The faces could've been a little more rounded, but I got a laugh.

But but...Star Wars is from Kurosawa films and Thor is from Norse mythology...intentional? I don't...my head hurts.

Aw come on, buddy. This was the most obvious and predictable joke you could have ever made on that subject.

rhodo:
Aw come on, buddy. This was the most obvious and predictable joke you could have ever made on that subject.

We made it for you, loyal reader.

Grey Carter:

We made it for you, loyal reader.

Try harder! ヽ(ー_ー )ノ

Just wanna point out, that last line of text in the Darth Vader had Hiragana and Katakana, the Japanese alphabet; as in, not Chinese.

Also, what the hell? "Robotto ni" wha? I really gotta practice up on my kanji...

Grenge Di Origin:
Just wanna point out, that last line of text in the Darth Vader had Hiragana and Katakana, the Japanese alphabet; as in, not Chinese.

Also, what the hell? "Robotto ni" wha? I really gotta practice up on my kanji...

If you read the blurb under the comic they explain why that is, "The story that inspired this strip came from China, but Cory is more familiar with Japanese art."

This was on Kotaku's front page:

http://kotaku.com/5975671/how-star-wars-mightve-had-a-different-darth-vader

When I borrowed a DVD of The Hidden Fortress, the synopsis was written by George Lucas and included a documentary where he talked about how Kurosawa and specifically The Hidden Fortress influenced his films and how he asked Toshiro Mifune to play the part of Obi Wan and Vader.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here