Trailers: Cyberpunk 2077 - Teaser Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2

synobal:
Poor CD Projekt Red you make 1 game where you collect cards by sleeping with women and everyone thinks you're the creators of leisure suit Larry. I'm honestly not sure if this is going to move the medium forward. Everyone being hypersensitive about how women are portrayed.

Don't you think some people are being hypersensitive about a few people's objections? It's really not that bad. :)

Elamdri:
Ok, the sexism argument is completely missing the point.

Of course it's sexist. it's CYBERPUNK! It's SUPPOSED to be sexist! Sex and sexism are a large part of the cyberpunk genre.

Except nothing about cyberpunk is sexist. If anything it's the most sexually equal fantasy setting out there since technology has done away with any logical gender difference that we can every think might exist. Humans can quiet literally swap their brains out between android bodies (or even largely human ones) each any sex they want. That said cyberpunk is supposed to be sexy because as bodies become commodities that can be changed and upgraded on a whim they simply become status symbols so instead of just buying a sexy car or suit you also have to buy a sexy body to drive the car while wearing the suit.

That said nothing about this teaser trailer was remotely sexist either. It was a well made piece of visual art which at first tried to illicit sympathy from the audience by showing an attractive woman being shot and then subverted this by having the bullets do nothing. As the scene builds out the story keeps changing and instead of her being shot at random, she is being attacked by the police and the officer shooting at her seems scared.

Then as it pans out you see it isn't just one officer, but an entire unit and that woman, isn't a woman at all she is either a weaponized cyborg or an android who killed dozens of presumably innocent civilians around her while the police wait for support hoping they can hold the line in case she decides to get up and continue her assault.

chimeracreator:

Elamdri:
Ok, the sexism argument is completely missing the point.

Of course it's sexist. it's CYBERPUNK! It's SUPPOSED to be sexist! Sex and sexism are a large part of the cyberpunk genre.

Except nothing about cyberpunk is sexist. If anything it's the most sexually equal fantasy setting out there since technology has done away with any logical gender difference that we can every think might exist. Humans can quiet literally swap their brains out between android bodies (or even largely human ones) each any sex they want. That said cyberpunk is supposed to be sexy because as bodies become commodities that can be changed and upgraded on a whim they simply become status symbols so instead of just buying a sexy car or suit you also have to buy a sexy body to drive the car while wearing the suit.

There's quite a lot of Cyberpunk that is sexist, but my point was that the sexism is intentional, it's meant to be a part of the story because human beings are sexist. You don't think there is anything sexist for example in the plot of kidnapping young women and copying their souls before implanting them into sex-dolls?

My point is that there is a difference between making something sexist because for example you believe your audience is sexist and therefore it will sell better

versus

Making something sexist because sexism exists in real life and you are including the sexism as a part of social commentary.

Tell me I get to play as a cyborg lady with praying mantis arms and I'll get excited.

dystopiaINC:
also PLEEEEEESE DON"T BE PS3 EXCLUSIVE!!!! the last 3 original IPs I wanted to play are all exclusives wtf man

CD Project Red doesn't do console exclusives, they do PC exclusives.

bringer of illumination:

dystopiaINC:
also PLEEEEEESE DON"T BE PS3 EXCLUSIVE!!!! the last 3 original IPs I wanted to play are all exclusives wtf man

CD Project Red doesn't do console exclusives, they do PC exclusives.

Thanks, now I feel bad for never having played any of their games :/

Though I guess there's still some time left to play the Witcher games until Cyberpunk comes out ;)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here