Unskippable: Final Fantasy XIII-2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Join Graham and Paul as they're dropped into the middle of an epic battle.

Watch Video

Wow usually the climactic battle happens at the END of the game.

*checks*

Yep. Whenever you say "that cosplay is impossible", the cosplayers say "challenge accepted".

canadamus_prime:

Unless it is the climatic battle at the end of the previous game. In that case, it is totally fine.
Or when 90% of the game is a flashback.

Unfortunally, this is neither. This is Final Fantasy, common sense does not apply.

Was'nt this "climactic battle" a playable DLC add-on for XIII-2 later on?
*only played the main game, no DLC stuff*

I was looking out for FFXIII-2 (most ridiculous acronym name ever) because I thought the story of FFXIII was pretty good even if it was told in such an atroscious way as to rip all joy from it...

but this isn't looking like it keeps to those standards or improves the weaknesses (except for maybe actually having a proper villain).

And I liked the old character designs (except Vanille and Fang), these look stupid even for an FF

canadamus_prime:

Wait... This counts as climactic now?

I mean there were a lot of lights and stuff, sure...

But any sense of impact or emotion? They could've replaced every character with differently colored versions of Pac Man and it probably would've felt more meaningful. The final clash between white Pac Man and purple Pac Man!

Or maybe that's just me not getting Final Fantasy games or most Japanese things in general.

You would think by now S-E would have hired someone to say, "Okay, guys, yes, this is technically English, but it's so purple it glows under a black light."

Bindal:

canadamus_prime:

Unless it is the climatic battle at the end of the previous game. In that case, it is totally fine.
Or when 90% of the game is a flashback.

Unfortunally, this is neither. This is Final Fantasy, common sense does not apply.

Yes... that is true. Certainly that is true of the most current Final Fantasys

Also do you get the feeling that Square Enix is trying to one up themselves?

Is she ridding Thor in Valhalla?
And fighting emo Jesus?
What is this? Godyssey?

DVS BSTrD:
And fighting emo Jesus?
What is this? Godyssey?

Lighting was riding Odin.
Cauis Ballad is not Jesus(or John the Baptist) but he can transform into Chaos Bahamut

Hagi:

canadamus_prime:

Wait... This counts as climactic now?

I mean there were a lot of lights and stuff, sure...

But any sense of impact or emotion? They could've replaced every character with differently colored versions of Pac Man and it probably would've felt more meaningful. The final clash between white Pac Man and purple Pac Man!

Or maybe that's just me not getting Final Fantasy games or most Japanese things in general.

Well it's climactic in the sense that it's an over the top fight scene.

Anyone know the units for "currents of time"?

Right - she floats. So she is a witch and must be burned. And she did burn.

I'll go take my coat.

Well, that was certainly.... a sequence of pictures played in rabid succession, creating the illusion of movement.

But I did enjoy the part where purple space Jesus turned into a demon and then smacked the bird-murderer around.
Man, Final Fantasy always has the best stories.

Final Fantasy, erm, I feel you may have lost touch with... everything. Crazy hair, overly large/shiney doo-dads and physic's breaking can only hold up so much of... whatever the hell that was.

I'm not an avid player of FF games but do they ever explain where all the FEATHERS keep getting conjured from? In the first bunch of scenes they're raining from the sky, and every time the girl moves her sword more feathers burst out of it.

It's like they were aiming to do particle effects but "particles" got replaced with "feathers" :P

edit: double post, this site is behaving strangely over the last day or so

Spoken dialogue does nothing for me in an RPG. Anybody feel the same?

"She just Yoshi'd her horse."

In this day and age, people question the use of referencing as a legitimate form of comedy. This is how you elevate referencing into a true joke.

The pants comment was fantastic; I was thinking along a similar vein.

Sooo... Sephy wannabe with a Soul Edge gets all pissy that someone died and wrecks Valhalla...

Man, the Final Fantasy series just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. I hate the direction they have gone with the art and the worlds they design.

Points for a Shadowman reference.

I'm not seeing the connection between Noel and The Doctor, though.

ForgottenPr0digy:

DVS BSTrD:
And fighting emo Jesus?
What is this? Godyssey?

Cauis Ballad is not Jesus(or John the Baptist) but he can transform into Chaos Bahamut

*wince*
Sleipnir. She was riding Odin's horse Sleipnir (I assume, I didn't see the 8 legs). Whose mother is Loki if you go back to the original legends, because he's wacky like that.

Damn you unskippable!!! Final Fantasy 13 is currently the most expensive unfinished game in my collection due to.. not caring enough about anything going on with it even though I spent like $30 on the collector's item hint book! Now I almost want 13 part 2!!!!

All I could think of while watching the opening to the video is why is Liara narrating a Final Fantasy Game

Illessa:
*wince*
Sleipnir. She was riding Odin's horse Sleipnir (I assume, I didn't see the 8 legs). Whose mother is Loki if you go back to the original legends, because he's wacky like that.

No, she was riding Odin.

In FF13 all the summon ALSO turn into transport (I mentioned the Shiva sisters turn into a motorbike), and Odin turns into a 4-legged horse. Sleipnir isn't in the game.

You know... I stopped playing Final Fantasies after 10 and I didn't think that was soon enough. This just makes me think I lucked out by stopping at 10... because it seems it could only get a whole lot worse.

I don't know who I'm supposed to be rooting for...? I'm so confused.

Illessa:

ForgottenPr0digy:

DVS BSTrD:
And fighting emo Jesus?
What is this? Godyssey?

*wince*

In final fantasy games you can summon Odin and in final fantasy XIII Lighting can summon Odin(who also transforms into a horse which lighting can ride into battle)

ltmarcos:
All I could think of while watching the opening to the video is why is Liara narrating a Final Fantasy Game

fun fact:Ali Hillis the voice actor for Lighting also did Liara from mass effect series

Graham_LRR:

Illessa:
*wince*

No, she was riding Odin.

In FF13 all the summon ALSO turn into transport (I mentioned the Shiva sisters turn into a motorbike), and Odin turns into a 4-legged horse. Sleipnir isn't in the game.

Oh god yeah, XIII did the same thing didn't it? I guess I saw mentions of Thor and Valhalla and my already hazy recollections of that game just exited my brain to be replaced by Norse mythology and vague images of previous FFs where they just got the number of legs wrong. Damn Squeenix and their wildly inconsistent cultural appropriation. And apologies ForgottenPr0digy for doubting you! :)

HELP!!! I have no idea what dafuq I just watched! The best thing about these FF openings that they're so nonsensical, Graham and Paul get out their gold material. Well done, guys!

captcha: The Hopper from DISH
I know captchas are made to set us apart from adbots, but are the adbots now making the captchas?

Y'know, as someone who stopped caring about Final Fantasy after 6, these cinematics are alien to me. Maybe if I knew anything about FF13 this would have made some sense, but this intro tells you nothing about the game.

The plot line for Final Fantasy XIII-2 is cyclical so it is basically the final climactic battle you're seeing. It goes on for another 15 minutes or so but it's pretty much more of the same.

The plot-line of FF XIII-2 is basically unconnected to FF XIII except a few shared characters and the setting. You don't even get to play as Lightning, you have to play as her annoying little sister and some random idiot.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here