Jimquisition: Only The Lonely

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Stay the line, Jim. It's not often I want to thank god for anything, but I'll do it every time for you.

Frankly, I don't like playing online a lot. I don't often play the kinds of games where I want to just jump into a random game with 20 other people. I enjoy those kinds of games for a shorter period of time than I do single player games. But, I do have plenty of games that I play with friends. But, I don't always play these games. Sometimes I don't want to coop something, but want to feel the crushing depth or majesty of doing it all on my own. The most annoying thing, personally, is finding out that content has to be unlocked in multiplayer, or that half the content on the disc/download is for a mode I want very little of. It really makes me feel like I'm paying for wasted space. The idea of an online pass would be fine, if I could buy just the single player game at a price less the cost of the pass, but nope, it's still $60 for it, all the time. And that's just not as good.

I'm an extremely extrovert and social person with loads of friends, but I NEVER EVER play multiplayer-games. I hate playing online and I hate having to interact with others while playing my games. So for me this newfounded idea that singleplayer-games are for lonely asocial suckers and everything has to be multiplayer is not only not to my taste, but rather insulting I think. And I am very sad that two of my favourite games to play alone (Diablo and Sim City) has chosen to abandon me in favour of the always-online argument which I will not condone.

Well said. I'm absolutely going to quote you whenever someone gets up in my grill for not being hooked up to an IV of Facebook.

yeah... I'm not watching this show anymore. I don't hate anybody for having their own beliefs, because I don't "hate" anybody. I don't think that spending time watching a person who is willing to blatantly demonstrate such an grandiloquently offensive and sacrilegious attitude is a good use of my time. I'm afraid Jim has lost a viewer.

the word you're looking for Jim is "solitude" and Jebus himself went in for it multiple times...sometimes weeks at a time.

surprised you didn't pick up on that ;P

wikipedia states "A distinction has been made between solitude and loneliness. In this sense, these two words refer, respectively, to the joy and the pain of being alone"

Funny, serious and right on the ball, to fucking funny. Good ol' Jimquisition.

Yeah you're right, if TES or Fallout went coop/multiplayer, I'd flip a table. I'm highly sceptical about Sim City's multiplayer right now.

A Curious Fellow:
There is absolutely no problem with having more options in a game. I've enjoyed, greatly, playing multiplayer in Minecraft and Mass Effect 3, for example. I wouldn't play Minecraft if I was FORCED to be alone, and the multiplayer in Mass Effect is incredibly deep and rewarding, nevermind wildly well-supported by the Bioware and EA.

I don't understand why you would talk down at a game developer for wanting to make a more rounded experience for the player.

The problem is that most of the time these extra options take extra resources. Mass Effect 3, while it has a good multiplayer (from what I've heard), is still played for the most part for the single player. Maybe the campaign wouldn't have been so bad, maybe the ending wouldn't have been horrible, maybe they could've put more Role playing elements.
Sure it's nice to have options, but those options shouldn't take away from the core experience, in fact having more options may limit the depth (and thus more options) of the game. In an opposite example, I think CoD should be online only and shouldn't have single-player.

The best games are those that offer a great single player that can be adapted easily into an online mode, like Tetris.

Sleekit:
the word you're looking for Jim is "solitude" and Jebus himself went in for it multiple times...sometimes weeks at a time.

surprised you didn't pick up on that ;P

wikipedia states "A distinction has been made between solitude and loneliness. In this sense, these two words refer, respectively, to the joy and the pain of being alone"

I didn't know the English language had a word like that. Maybe cause in Spanish we only just use the word "soledad" to refer to being left alone.

Being solitude is a great thing, I think plenty of people need to have some hours a day for themselves. Being forced to socialize all the time is one of the great ills of our society. Some people can't unglue themselves form their phones or Facebook.

That's me :)
I tried playing with other people, really tried
Still best experience is with either people who I can throw paper balls at (in case they are being pricks)
OR
with me and myself
SO this online BS developers/publishers are trying to shoehorn in every game just makes me angry
Example
X-Com:Enemy Unknown
How much of you played its multiplayer?
I personally didn't even watched at the MP button.
Edit: Well ok, I noticed it once, after it my mind blocked it out of my sight.

Not all games should have or need multiplayer, that said I also don't subscribe to the belief that certain series could and should NEVER have multiplayer features even if it could be great.

I love playing skyrim by myself, but I could definitely see having a small scale co-op option in the series. Not open to anyone, not an MMO, but being able to explore a world of that scale and detail with a friend or two sounds like a blast.

I find the basic rule is that if the "add multiplayer" comes from executive decisions and not from the team wanting to add a great experience that it will immediately be on the wrong footing.

When will the next Movie Defense Force be?

Susan Arendt:
Hey, folks, lay off the "hahaha devout people are so stupid" characterizations. Mocking someone for their faith is decidedly uncool - as would it be if they mocked you for your lack of it.

The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith. Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?

gonephishing:
yeah... I'm not watching this show anymore. I don't hate anybody for having their own beliefs, because I don't "hate" anybody. I don't think that spending time watching a person who is willing to blatantly demonstrate such an grandiloquently offensive and sacrilegious attitude is a good use of my time. I'm afraid Jim has lost a viewer.

And also, if you keep watching this heathen's videos, God will send you to hell. Amirite?

/sarcasm

Moth_Monk:

Susan Arendt:
Hey, folks, lay off the "hahaha devout people are so stupid" characterizations. Mocking someone for their faith is decidedly uncool - as would it be if they mocked you for your lack of it.

The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith. Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?

This is not a discussion about how reasonable it is or is not to be devout. You're welcome to your opinion, just as others are welcome to theirs.

What scares me is that Valve is going along with this. They did say that Portal 2 was their last game with truly isolated single player.

WWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!???????????????

Whats wrong with playing a game on your own? Or reading a book or watching a movie? Everything seems geared towards the facebook people. How they cant go without 3 seconds without stating what they are doing. Its pathetic. Gaming is escapism. Escape from people and life. F3 or Skyrim isnt lonely, your the king making your own choices and being yourself. I am annoyed by the fact that every game seems to have a multi player, for instance the new tomb raider has one. Why? I see the death of single player gaming. Such a shame as it will be the death of gaming for me.

Invadergray:
When will the next Movie Defense Force be?

This Thursday. Unlike Jimquisition, MDF is out every two weeks.

Mr. Omega:
Well said, Willem.

OT: I agree.

Slightly off topic: One other big problem I've been having with this whole "everything needs multiplayer" mentality? That they've also been cutting out couch co-op. I don't mind online multiplayer, but when my brother or cousins come over, I want to be able to play with them without each of us having our own copy of the game, console and TV.

Thank you for saying this! My husband and I use to be able to pick up any game that said multi-player and start playing. Now we need to have 2 copies and be connected to the internet, even though we're literally sitting next to each other. Sometimes you just don't need 2 PS3s...

OT: I adore single player games, especially RPGs. I feel like all weight is lost when there are lots more people that are also the "Chosen One!"

Moth_Monk:

gonephishing:
snip

And also, if you keep watching this heathen's videos, God will send you to hell. Amirite?

/sarcasm

Knock it off, Adolf.

OT: Yeah there is this irrational obsession with social interaction in our society, which has bleed into gaming. The phrase, "Hell is other people," was coined for a reason. Too often having to deal with other people is maddening. Too many times have I had to put up with people being obnoxious, annoying, or just plain sickening to be around.
Be it people who can't take "no" for an answer, people who think irrational hatred is a form of enlightenment, people who seem unable or unwilling to take note of the obvious, or people that are just plain irritating; this people have proven that being social is overrated.

I believe that forced social activity is more damaging, then voluntary solitude.

The annoying fact is that multiplayer (as far as suits are concerned) just makes more money. So unless wise people like Jim tell them to fucking stop, there's going to be wads of spambots champing at the bits to shove their way into every sandbox game, Mario game, horror game, etc. And I'm sure it wont stop there: figure out a way to charge people for it and we can get social media into movies, into books. Don't you want a running commentary from your friends while you're reading 50 Shades of Gay?

So please, Jim, keep it up. Remind people that there's a time and a place for multiplayer and a time and place for single player, and that they don't have to meet.

I was actually kinda hoping for some good ol' fashioned Christian backlash but haven't seen any yet. Oh well. Better luck next time?

Well yeah...

I damn well hate multiplayer. None of my friends play the same games as me, and when they do we play them at woefully different rates (My failed experience buying Borderlands 2 to play with friends... who rapidly eclipsed me in level because I went on vacation and then didn't feel like playing when I got back blah blah blah).

Videogames are my solo activity, I have a social life, one in real life, a second one on the internet, I don't need one in my videogames as well. Hell if I can coordinate 4 friends we'll likely be doing something else other than playing videogames, especially since most devs have decided that Same Screen Multiplayer is for losers.

Mostly though, I'm pretty sure most games are so multiplayer heavy these days because it's cheaper and you don't need to program other people like you do AI opponents, you also don't need cool set pieces, voice actors, writers... everything that makes games GOOD for me... and people still buy them by the boatloads.

To be honest, part of the problem is that there's a market segment with folks going "It doesn't have multiplayer? Not gonna buy it."

No matter how much you tell them that the single-player for Title X is worthwhile, they'll retort "Yeah, but it doesn't have multiplayer. I don't like single-player gamees."

Which is fairly ironic, as I don't believe that there's any way for any gamer to discover the medium with multiplayer titles, to actively play multiplayer titles and NOTHING BUT multiplayer titles.

Actually, scratch that. I remember meeting guys in Champions Online and City of Heroes/Villains who honestly didn't touch anything OTHER than MMOs.

The funny thing is, even with other players running around, most MMO participants tend to clear out the solo aspects of the gameworld on their own. MMO devs are considerate enough to set up quest tiers specifically designed for solo play!

Wait... so what I do in MY city will affect the people around me now?!

I need to get this game and crank up the pollution and crime!

I agree 100%. I'm an introvert and love playing games by myself. I'm not anti-social or deprived of friends. I have Facebook if I want to talk to people. I can't stand that media is pushing me to be an extrovert. Not every video game needs to have multiplayer.

For someone who is an observant person making a living in the industry, fully immersed in day to day affairs, trends, outcomes and even has a webshow based around being insightfully observant. How can you look the effect and disregard/ignore/miss the cause?

Its simple, the concept of ostracizing single player is an intended effect. These people WANT you to feel bad for not playing with other people. They want you to think every game MUST have multiplayer components. They want online connectivity to be a standardized gaming element.

These people do not care how "unhealthy" it might be to not socialize. They actually like it when players spend 16+ hours a day playing their products instead of engaging in real life. It does not bother them when a kid dies of DVT due to abysmal habits and failing priorities.

They proactively are pushing this to indoctrinate gamers. They want gamers to accept these impositions as givens to create industry standard.

Why?

Because it gives them the ability to control the products, even after sale which they have no right to. It grants them accessibility and freedom to utilize their product as marketing tools to spur on further and perpetual sales. They view their games as gamers willingly paying to have a full size corporate owned billboard in their front yard. It gives them a foot in your door to push DLC, expansions, sequels, other products while you foot the broadband bill to deliver their "important messages from our sponsors" How can they achieve this level of free marketing, guilt sales, cosmetic add ons, DLCs all the while keeping you connected to THEIR servers to ensure that despite proactively purchasing it, you arent pirating it? If you arent plugged in they have to go back to relying on expensive techniques like paying for advertisements, or developing a game good enough to generate word of mouth buzz. Worst part is, you cant even fault them for trying to do it, because it is just an extension of what they are supposed to do as a company, generate profit while reducing overhead. Capitalism Ahoy! Right?..... Right?

Getting tweaked over the effect is impractical if you did not see or chose to ignore the cause.

Moth_Monk:

The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith.

Um....

Moth_Monk:
Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?

You insulted a random person on the internet, for no apparent reason, on no personal basis. Simply because they believe differently than you. How stupid is that?

hmmm....

Wow... page three before someone commented on the intro in a negative fashion... that honestly surprises me.

gonephishing:

Not that this is likely to change you mind, but if you compare the way Jim speaks in his intro/conclusion with the way he talks in the main portion of his video, it's pretty obvious that he isn't expecting himself to to be taken seriously in that part. The main portion of his video has some good points, as usual, and the rest is merely entertainment. Does he have a generally mocking attitude? Sure, but what's wrong with being lightly mocked from time to time? As usual, XKCD puts it best:

Thank God for Jim indeed.

OT: I can identify with everything Jim said. There are just some occasions where I want to get lost in a large open area without running into any other player-controlled being. It just feels like quality time to gather your thoughts or just totally immerse yourself in the experience.

gonephishing:

If your god is so fucking thin skinned that he is honestly hurt that fucking Jim Sterling, a guy who made videos asking Cliffy B to fill his 'epic hole' and to tell gay Mass Effect fan fiction, is making fun of him, then he truly is lucky that Jim would note him as beneath him.

Statements like the one from the Sims City guy are what makes me very weary of so many of the big named western developers. They're so quick to use marketing to tell us what we want. Rather than trying to actually identify an untapped or viable market they would rather convince you that you're playing the wrong games. Marketing and game development is to chummy and its ruining the industry.

There is a market out there for light RPGs in the vein of JRPGs, or some good, old fashion hack and slash games but as the presence of Japanese developers slips away from the US market rather than trying to tap into a demographic with little, or no, competitors the US industry leaders would sooner belittle you for playing those games in the first place, rather than waste a cent trying to make a game that actually appeals to your demographic.

It all boils down to these, big budget, AAA games, those soulless, one size, fits all experiences. Companies like EA and Activision would sooner make a single game that everyone buys than have to pander to various interest groups and thanks to the power of marketing that's exactly the sort of industry we're looking forward to, one where publishers won't greenlight anything remotely different or new. When you starve so many demographics and genres for so long it's no wonder that everything but a few sure things shrivel up and die.

Jim

You are beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, and utterly utterly legendary.

P.S. your video was good too....

Speaking as an introvert, you hit the proverbial nail on the head for me. I view games as pure escapism (not unlike the site name) and quite frankly thanks to wow, i no longer enjoy playing with other players online. Why would i ruin my free time worrying/dealing with drama queens on power trips who think that seniority in a game entitles him/her to be an arsehole, when i can immerse myself in a single player experience that works/plays/developes at my level and speed and gives me nothing but escapism and fun.

This episode was bang on. This is probably one of my biggest problems with gaming.

I'm an introvert, therefore I don't want to be around people all the time. I don't enjoy going to parties, meeting dozens of new people at a time, or small talking with people I don't know. This translates directly into the way I game. I play multi-player games when I feel like it, and 90% of the time I don't feel like it.

Raso719:
Statements like the one from the Sims City guy are what makes me very weary of so many of the big named western developers. They're so quick to use marketing to tell us what we want. Rather than trying to actually identify an untapped or viable market they would rather convince you that you're playing the wrong games. Marketing and game development is to chummy and its ruining the industry.

Shhhhhh, can you hear that?

Some of the greatest life lessons I ever learned were from playing single player games. Games like Wild ARMs, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Grandia (see avatar), LUNAR and LUNAR 2 - these games have enriched my life and my point of view.

ANImaniac89:
I just love how I can't watch anything gaming/comic/movie/geek culture in general without eventually getting some sort of diatribe about the presenters beliefs, or in the case lack there of. I honestly don't give two shits about Jim's beliefs, Christ complex (be it real or satirical). The reason I watch his stuff and Moviebob's well we're at it is because I find there work pertaining to geek culture interesting. Not because I want to hear about Christ or how Geeks should be worshiping at the First Church of the Spider-man.

As for the episode it's self; fine work as usual.

Then you obviously missed the bru-haha that erupted in his past video. Some twat got overly religiously zealous in his attacks towards Jim, this was just a jab at them, nothing more. Its always been more than painfully obvious that when he says "thank god for me", its a part of his grandiose caricature he's presenting for entertainment value.

But yes, great episode as always Jim. Though I would like to say this, after the back and forth between me and a coworker based around Skyrim, I wouldn't mind a bit of.... interactivity with her game. Namely the idea of horrifying her lvl 12 with my lvl 50 character as I tell her to once again to, how I say, "go sit on a dragon"!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here