Reel Physics: Live Free or Die Hard - Cop Car Helicopter Takedown

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm not sure why people were so hung up about this scene anyway. People have been doing way bigger jumps in cars before live audiences for decades. It was a relatively tiny jump.

Anakinnnn:

In an extremely basic example, if you have a chunk of metal that is 1.1 meters long and you need to put it inside of a casing of some sort, you can't round down to 1 meter. It won't fit. That's the kind of stuff you think about differently contrary to rudimentary mathematics rules later on. ;)

That is why you design things with specific tolerances to make sure they fit.
Also if the casing was large enough to take a 1.1m long piece, then a 1m piece would fit too.
It would be a sloppy piss fit, but it would fit :)

i am still loving this show keep it up
suggestion: take on the truck flip from dark knight.

empirialtank:
i am still loving this show keep it up
suggestion: take on the truck flip from dark knight.

i can answer that for you. ok, maybe not the way these guys do it but i will make it simple.

its real. they really flipped a truck. not a miniature, no CGI effect. the real thing. why i know it!? because of the making off.
nolan dint expect it either that the truck will flip like this. he expected that the trailer will flip to the side but it dint.
so yes, its real physics.

Anakinnnn:

Guffe:

Anakinnnn:

Here's why... we said 30 feet or around 9 meters... so then we chose 3x30ft...90 feet..... and 90 feet is 27.432 meters and since it was above 27 meters, I rounded up to "around 28 meters."

Well I still learned in maths that it's rounded up when it's .5 or more and yours still was 27.43 so it STILL should've been 27!!!
/make sure to read that in a very squicky young, very very very annoying small kids voice :D

Nah it was just a small "haha got you" moment for me : )
And yes, you said "about" :P

Still enjoying the show :)
P.S. thanks for also bringing in the metric system :D

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Well that explains a lot : )
I have never done anything with engineering so that's something new for me :D
Yay, the lesson of the day achieved :P

Epic, just the scene I wanted!
Keep up the good work you guys!!! ^_^

DVS BSTrD:
I wasn't surprised, you can always tell when it's practical effects.

These days I find it incredible hard to tell when it's a practical effect, as even when they do practical effects, they throw in a lot of CGI and composition effects on top of it, be it just basic color grading or as here inserting debris, explosions and rotor blades. I am actually surprised at how much cheap looking CGI turns out to actually have been an practical effect afterwards.

As for toll both car jumping, some drunk women actually did that a while ago in real life:

For another ridiculous Bruce Willis action scene, how about you guys breakdown that scene from RED where he just casually steps out of a spinning cop car, guns blazing.

Simon Leonhart:
For another ridiculous Bruce Willis action scene, how about you guys breakdown that scene from RED where he just casually steps out of a spinning cop car, guns blazing.

That scene is amazing. So sexy.

Anakinnnn:
We talked about this a lot!! But, alas, we are engineers... not anatomy experts or biologists. My guess is he would be in the hospital for a while... if he even survived!

You should throw a dead pig out of a moving car. You should also try this with bad-ass pigs and wimpy pigs to see if that makes a difference.

Maybe I've watched too much Mythbusters...

Nice episode guys. got an idea for you, I just watched "Wanted" and I was wondering if you could flip a porsche like that and knock over a bus and then drive off it... because i don't think you can... just wondering...

No chance in hell I thought when I watched this. This was one of the scenes I recall that made me upset about how ridiculous and over the top todays stunts get... I'm sorry. I guess I should have focused on the computer mumble jumble...

I like this show so far. Especially how the "e" spins from "reel physics" (as in, movie physics) to "real physics". Very clever.

As far as this scene goes, though, I find it easy to believe that the stunt was possible with an appropriate ramp... But I find it very hard to believe that the toll booth would have actually acted as a ramp in that way. Frankly, I think they would have ploughed straight into it.

Still, the maths were well-presented as always, so kudos for that. :)

ReelPhysics:
Live Free or Die Hard - Cop Car Helicopter Takedown

Find out if John McClane is as much of a badass as he wants us to think.

Watch Video

The car had a skid plate under it and there was probably a ramp. So stop pretending that it was "real" physics! You can't just ignore that the bumper in front of a toll booth is build to STOP cars. REAL physics would mean the car crashes into that bumper and that's it.

Your approach reminds me of a joke: How do you catch a lion? You build a cage. Now if we ignore friction the gravitation will sooner or later draw the lion into the cage.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here