Reel Physics: The Rock - Trolley Car Launch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Rock - Trolley Car Launch

This week we find out just how scientifically sound is Michael Bay's The Rock.

Watch Video

Thanks for watching everyone! We read every suggestion and really encourage your feedback to make the show even better. We are working on more visuals and diagrams for future episodes to help make the presentation of information more understandable.
Thanks for supporting the show and if you like it, tell your friends and share it so others can discover it!

Jason Dean
Reel Physics

lol. its obvious that is hollywood. one of my favorite action movies since die hard though.

maybe you guys should cover the scene from the first die hard movie when john mcclain jumps off the roof when it explodes and how he can untie him self from the fire hose.

Holy crap. A milimetre. Wow.

I remember this scene... it has to be the worst Hollywood physics I've ever seen.

It just looks so shoddy I wonder what the hell the Director was thinking not leaving that on the cutting room floor... I know this is Michael Bay we are talking about here, even Nic Cage and Connery to save this film. Frankly you could lock those two actors in a lift and it would be entertaining, this is just, what am I even looking at. That incredibly heavy tram, moving so obviously like it's being lifted up well balanced like a crane.

How can a man make explosions and flying locomotives seem so stilted and flat?

To be honest I wasn't expecting the trolly to lift up at all. Didn't think it'd overcome the weight and lift at all. Still really enjoying this series. Not too many suggestion but I'd think the X-Men live action movies have to be ripe for some silly scenes. All of them.

Wow! 1.1 millimeters of lift never looked so high! ;) Seriously, though. Flying Saucers from Independence Day- wouldn't they crush everything underneath them?

ok this one was quite obvious but i never would have thought it was THAT off the target.
and more michael bay sounds great, i challenge you i find a single big action scene of his without something that is actually impossible!

I think you guys don't see the potential in Michael Bay movies...not the actual movies of course, but what you can do with it - I suggest like a Michael Bay Month (so 4 episodes, maybe even more than 1 scene per episode). Like a special edition of sorts, like Movie Bob has Schlocktober etc.

There's really a lot of stuff in MB movies that's way to easy to disprove even with the simplest knowledge of physics, but you can still offer more thorough and precise calculations which makes the scenes even funnier, so maybe format of special edition months would be nice. Just a suggestion.

In any case, so far pretty interesting show.

I can deal with a ridiculous scene, but Bay has no sense of tone... he CONSTANTLY shifts between melodrama and slapstick. I mean he wants to have a dumb actions movie, then suddenly tries to have a really conflicted villain with a noble cause... EEUUUGHH!!?!?! Which way do you want it?

If you are going to have a plot like "take over Alcatraz prison and threaten San Francisco with Nerve Gas missiles" you can't have such a dastardly plot and not have a dastardly villain.

Compare some of the "action" scenes of The Rock with the deliberately funny fight scenes of Austin Powers.

And all the time that Tram is careening I'm worried about the unfortunate Tram driver, unfortunate for being a buttmonkey to dance and be an idiot for Michael Bay's amusement. Everyone else jumped off, why couldn't he jump off? Why did they keep showing shots of him using the brakes when it was obvious he was well off the tracks?

The tram seems no threat to Cage's character at all. At worse it would bump into his car and push it to the side.

It could have been played for laughs... but it wasn't. Any humour is crushed out of concern that that poor tram conductor was burned to death or dying inside the tram.

Anakinnnn:
Thanks for watching everyone! We read every suggestion and really encourage your feedback to make the show even better

well, alll righty then while i do admire your planned journy to crush michal bay's credibility from a purely mathematical standpoint i hope you remember to keep things varied because not everyone has a
vendetta against the poor logically challenged fellow

also have you ever thought of making the outtakes into a new show? or maby collect them up into a 'what you missed' episode dunno how that would work but it's an idea to float around it's cool however you present it just keep doin' it

also, request!

'Cracked glass' the scene from Jurassic park where the trailer gets dumped over the edge of a cliff and sarah falls on the glass, breaks it and it cracks painfully slowly would she just be a red stain on the floor right now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxwR_9EhlY

and / or could a 4x4 hold, or pull said trailer back up assuming the movie conditions?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2kxdQf3t0

been wondering this literally since i saw it, and that's a long time to wonder something

I don't know how hard this one might be, but when Jason Bourne is falling from the top of the stairs (I think from the first film?) on top of the corpse and uses it to cushion his fall:
Assuming that it is Reel Physics, how fat would the guy actually have to be so that Bourne survives?

Furthermore, just watch Shoot 'Em Up and take anything from that film, it's totally off the rails.

Keep up the good work guys, it's really interesting.

Knusper:

Furthermore, just watch Shoot 'Em Up and take anything from that film, it's totally off the rails.

in the most positive way possible, though

anian:
I think you guys don't see the potential in Michael Bay movies...not the actual movies of course, but what you can do with it - I suggest like a Michael Bay Month (so 4 episodes, maybe even more than 1 scene per episode). Like a special edition of sorts, like Movie Bob has Schlocktober etc.

There's really a lot of stuff in MB movies that's way to easy to disprove even with the simplest knowledge of physics, but you can still offer more thorough and precise calculations which makes the scenes even funnier, so maybe format of special edition months would be nice. Just a suggestion.

We've discussed this very situation before but not limited to just Michael Bay... we've considered an Arnold Schwarzeneggar month, a Michael Bay month, a Will Smith month, a Brett Ratner month, a Sylvester Stallone month... and if not several episodes, then maybe a single mega-episode doing mini-calculations on several scenes for each theme... be on the lookout for possibly something like this coming up!
Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback on the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Still think you guys are a bit too giggly in the lead up, but still enjoying the physics.

Scripted laughter can be tricky. =.=

Treblaine:
And all the time that Tram is careening I'm worried about the unfortunate Tram driver, unfortunate for being a buttmonkey to dance and be an idiot for Michael Bay's amusement. Everyone else jumped off, why couldn't he jump off? Why did they keep showing shots of him using the brakes when it was obvious he was well off the tracks?

Any humour is crushed out of concern that that poor tram conductor was burned to death or dying inside the tram.

Good news! The scene ends with the tram driver standing over to one side throwing a fit at how someone destroyed his trolley car! So at least he survived. ;)

Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Another entertaining episode. I really enjoyed the behind-the-scene footage, keep adding it please.

Treblaine:

The tram seems no threat to Cage's character at all. At worse it would bump into his car and push it to the side.

Well. There's what, two car-lengths of room behind the Ferarri?

Seems to me that old-n-heavy trolley would be very likely to push the car straight into the brick wall behind it, and then crush at least half of the car, with Goodspeed in the way.

I'd be getting the hell outta Ferarri too.

I always wanted to know if that giant spider from Wild Wild West was in any way plausible...

Wild Wild West, the original Django Unchained ;)

Too bad you didn't include an estimate of how it *could have happened* (faster explosion? How fast? What kinda explosive can get a trolly up that high? etc.)

Or calculated how much forward momentum it has afterwards, and what can stop it (the ferrari would get crushed?).

Both the production values and the jokes are getting better.
Great job, guys!

Michael Bay just blowing stuff up? That sounds so unlike him. :P

Good show though!

Meters and Celsius? Where did my feet and Fahrenheit go?

Edit:

The Lugz:
to float around it's cool however you present it just keep doin' it

also, request!

'Cracked glass' the scene from Jurassic park where the trailer gets dumped over the edge of a cliff and sarah falls on the glass, breaks it and it cracks painfully slowly would she just be a red stain on the floor right now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxwR_9EhlY

and / or could a 4x4 hold, or pull said trailer back up assuming the movie conditions?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2kxdQf3t0

been wondering this literally since i saw it, and that's a long time to wonder something

Oooooh... good ones.

Seconded.

Anakinnnn:

anian:

We've discussed this very situation before but not limited to just Michael Bay... we've considered an Arnold Schwarzeneggar month, a Michael Bay month, a Will Smith month, a Brett Ratner month, a Sylvester Stallone month... and if not several episodes, then maybe a single mega-episode doing mini-calculations on several scenes for each theme... be on the lookout for possibly something like this coming up!
Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback on the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

save that for the discovery channel show specials. ;p

neat idea can take movie by movie basis and break down famous films and scenes, can do actors, can do directors, all sorts of ways you can roll with it.

yep yep, I actually remember that I was profoundly puzzled by it.. So very unnecessary for the movie too. It was dumb, for sure, but I also recall it being very entertaining when I was young...

Anakinnnn:
Thanks for watching everyone! We read every suggestion and really encourage your feedback to make the show even better. We are working on more visuals and diagrams for future episodes to help make the presentation of information more understandable.
Thanks for supporting the show and if you like it, tell your friends and share it so others can discover it!

Jason Dean
Reel Physics

If I may make a suggestion, if what your doing turns out false then you should say what it would take to actually make that happen. As in how much energy or gasoline or whatever would it have taken to make the trolly go as high as it did.

Though I'm going to guess an explosion of that magnitude would probably have destroyed that whole city street and the surrounding buildings.

Anakinnnn:

Treblaine:

Any humour is crushed out of concern that that poor tram conductor was burned to death or dying inside the tram.

Good news! The scene ends with the tram driver standing over to one side throwing a fit at how someone destroyed his trolley car! So at least he survived. ;)

Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Oh god, I remember that now... as implausible as it is you'd think it would be played so well for Austin-Powers style spoof comedy him stepping out of a such a shattered and burned out wreckage without a mark on him.

But before you see him fine (which is kind of a cop-out) when the trolley car is careening down towards Cage's character, where is the concern for the hero-protagonist Cage? Where is the tension in him escaping from the airbag? Minor compared to the concern you have for the most human character we've seen yet in the movie.

If I wanted just one person in the movie to live, it would be the exuberant tram driver, to spite having only 2 or 3 camera shots on him so far at least he hasn't been a dick to anyone. That's something. And as far as I can tell, I just saw him get killed in a fiery explosion, oh but I'm supposed to care that his fiery tomb might bump into Goodspeed's supercar?

I get it that he'd want to get out of that supercar, but I wouldn't really care if he didn't. I'm really glad they had the shot of the tram-driver alive and well, but why did Bay set up that situation for what has so far been a fun action movie? I just wonder, how can you screw up action scenes so much? Do people who keep going to see his films REALLY not care about the actions scenes as long as they are there. Do other directors just refuse to give the explosions that audiences want so they'll take whatever they can get?

[/film_geek_rant]

Thanks for the response, and great video btw. I'm really hooked on this series now and looking forward to what you'd do next. I can't decide which I like more, the ones showing how hilariously wrong some stunts are or how some stunts that seem impossible may actually be possible/survivable when you think they wouldn't.

Eric the Orange:

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
Reel Physics

If I may make a suggestion, if what your doing turns out false then you should say what it would take to actually make that happen. As in how much energy or gasoline or whatever would it have taken to make the trolly go as high as it did.

I think they did that for the safe heist of that movie, oh what was it called, Fast And Furious 11: Search for Curley's Gold? They said they needed like 10 wheels and each car had to have massive static ground-force.

Personally I'd have just lubed up the safe real good. Then you just had to keep it moving.

This is my new favorite show here :3
You guys just seem so personable, and look like you're having a blast making these.
I do love this movie, but this scene bothers me more than most.

Verlander:
I always wanted to know if that giant spider from Wild Wild West was in any way plausible...

Wild Wild West, the original Django Unchained ;)

That might be more of an engineering/technical challenge than a raw-physics one.

I think no one-part of the giant spider broke obviously defied any fundamental physics, it's just the implausibility of this ever being constructed. And if they could construct this, why wouldn't they just make something like 1000 tanks instead?

Anyway, I think the Giant Spider would have been a bit more accepted if they'd introduced such over the top steampunk elements sooner. Really it was just kind of a big "fuck you" having this thing appear out of nowhere. Like if in the opening act they'd fought an 8-foot tall "Steam powered Mech" (like we see in Bioshock Infinite trailers) to prelude these things you never saw in any history book.

Prediction: Next to nothing happens.
Yeah I think most of us predicted that too.
Really starting to like these guy, hope they stick around.

Ok guys just linked my account just to comment, and ask you to do this scene from TORQUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxoVMuWkluA

you've probably been asked this before

Draconalis:
Meters and Celsius? Where did my feet and Fahrenheit go?

IMPERIAL HAS NO PLACE IN SCIENCE, DAMN IT!
But seriously, Imperial isn't really suitable for this show in my opinion. Considering this is regarding physics I think it's best to keep it in SI units. We use both Imperial and Metric in the UK and the general rule is imperial for guesswork and big scale stuff, metric for precision and science.
That and pretty much nowhere outside of the US uses Imperial any more.

EDIT: A pint will always be a pint however!

Techno Squidgy:

Yes... but half the site is from the US. (I'm guessing... but I wager it's not a small percentage)

And I have literally no idea how hot 900 C is... which is my biggest complaint.

Draconalis:

Techno Squidgy:

Yes... but half the site is from the US. (I'm guessing... but I wager it's not a small percentage)

And I have literally no idea how hot 900 C is... which is my biggest complaint.

Well water boils at 100C (which I'm fairly certain is common knowledge wherever you're from), so it's pretty damn hot. It's 1652 F, which means nothing to me and other Europeans.
Pure Copper melts at 1085 C if that helps.

Regarding the percentage of visitors, I admit, a large portion will be from the U.S. But I imagine physics taught at a University or High School level would be taught in SI units, as the rest of the scientific world understands it. It would make no sense to teach potential future scientists in a format that the scientific community at whole doesn't use. It just makes sense to me to have a show about physics (and a rather in-depth show about physics) in the units of physics.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here