Trailers: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jack the Ripper Trailer

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jack the Ripper Trailer

I would not want to be the person that they are getting Revengeance on as that is one sharp sword.

Watch Video

Why did the police seem evil? And why was Raiden not surprised in the slightest?

That blood berzerker mode at the end seemed cool though.

Is that initial monologue from Raiden? The voice sounds differently (and quite awful).

It's like Kenji Saito sat down and said "Let's see just how unlikable we can make a character in seven minutes."

The gameplay reminded me of Bayonetta.

Except the voice acting

The voice actig was better in Bayonetta.

It's impossible for words to describe what it's necessary for those who do not know how bad this is.

DVS BSTrD:
It's like Kenji Saito sat down and said "Let's see just how unlikable we can make a character in seven minutes."

I think Quinton Flynn was playing up that inexplicable rasp that Raiden had in his voice on MGS4.

Also, is it just me or does that trailer look like it doesn't even take place in the Metal Gear Solid Universe?

Every other trailer at least felt like it, but this looks like it jumped right out of Bayonetta or Darksiders.

So, Raiden's really gone off the mental deep-end in this game and really enjoys all this slicing and dicing.

But that's okay. Because I enjoy it greatly too. All that slicing never ceases to amuse me.

Gameplay looks great too. So excited for this game.

Somehow this reminds me of green goblin from spiderman, raiden even sound, act and talk like one.

hermes200:
Is that initial monologue from Raiden? The voice sounds differently (and quite awful).

It's definitely still Quinton Flynn voicing Raiden but it sounds like he's doing a Christian Bale and trying to make the character sound like he has a throat full of gravel.

OT: I had my doubts about this game when it was announced, especially when it was revealed that it would take place AFTER MGS4 rather than between it and MGS2, but this actually looks quite fun. I'm just going to ignore the ridiculous subtitle.

My suspension of disbelief won't hold out for too long though. I'm going to need some explanation for how Raiden went from whiny crybaby in MGS2 to near intolerable cocky bad-ass in no time at all. Aside from plot convenience that is.

Wait... wait... wait... Guns = Non-lethal force, Stun Batons = Lethal Force?

Proverbial Jon:

hermes200:

It's definitely still Quinton Flynn voicing Raiden but it sounds like he's doing a Christian Bale and trying to make the character sound like he has a throat full of gravel.

OT: I had my doubts about this game when it was announced, especially when it was revealed that it would take place AFTER MGS4 rather than between it and MGS2, but this actually looks quite fun. I'm just going to ignore the ridiculous subtitle.

My suspension of disbelief won't hold out for too long though. I'm going to need some explanation for how Raiden went from whiny crybaby in MGS2 to near intolerable cocky bad-ass in no time at all. Aside from plot convenience that is.

I thought it was because "intolerable cocky bad-ass" is the only thing Platinum uses to write their protagonists.

I really want to like this game, but that trailer hurt more than it helped. I am hoping the game has an option to change dialogue to Japanese so I don't have to hear that awful voice acting.

Wait, I thought Metal Gear was a stealth series? Unless I'm mistaken that is distinctly a 3rd person slasher.

How come, every single thing that is released about this game manages to make it look worse?

You'd think that there would be at least something that came out at some point that made it sound slightly better than before. But no, each time they release something about it it manages to be worse than what they last released... ..that takes skill.

Norix596:
Wait, I thought Metal Gear was a stealth series? Unless I'm mistaken that is distinctly a 3rd person slasher.

I thought Mario was a platforming series? Why would they even think to make games about racing, sports, and paper that does battle? How dare they!? How dare they branch off or make a spin-off! The nerve! They're not ever allowed to try something different!

What's that!? Halo came out with a strategy game that isn't in first person? Well, it's lawsuit time!

Proverbial Jon:

hermes200:

Quinton Flynn voice in this game is so different even comparing it to MGS4 Raiden.

Why does Raiden's teeth look all weird at the end of the trailer(that metal thing around his jaw looks so weird)

Raiden is also fucked up in the head he was getting off killing guys!!

ForgottenPr0digy:
Quinton Flynn voice in this game is so different even comparing it to MGS4 Raiden.

Why does Raiden's teeth look all weird at the end of the trailer(that metal thing around his jaw looks so weird)

Yeah, that metal jaw is quite disturbing. He did have it in MGS4 but it seems he's gone through quite the redesign between games all the same.

I'm interested to see how they bridge the gap between his condition at the end of MGS4 and his current bodily state in Revengeance. Players of MGS4 should know what I mean, not that it's a huge spoiler.

The gameplay looks great, I look forward to slicing things, but the story? Why do I want to be a cop murdering psychopath?

Proverbial Jon:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Yeah, that metal jaw is quite disturbing. He did have it in MGS4 but it seems he's gone through quite the redesign between games all the same.

I'm interested to see how they bridge the gap between his condition at the end of MGS4 and his current bodily state in Revengeance. Players of MGS4 should know what I mean, not that it's a huge spoiler.

In one of the gameplay trailers I know Raiden loses his eye in a fight with that dude who looks like Vamp during a earlier mission that happens before(weather will get to see or play that part I'm not sure yet)

Let me get this straight...

You play as a gigantic douche bag who gets off on killing people who has the voice of 70 year old woman with a hole in her neck. You run around chopping people up and almost all of your kills require you to do something that amounts to no more than a QTE (instead of buttons you're waggling your arm). Your killing is done against idiot cops who decide that the best way to kill you is to throw away their guns and use stun batons. All of this is set in a nice grey world that looks rather ugly.

I'll admit I was intrigued the first time I heard about this game but every single thing I've seen since has made me want to avoid it at all cost.

RedDeadFred:

I'll help!

You play as a gigantic douche bag who gets off on killing people who has the voice of 70 year old woman with a hole in her neck.

He sure has come a long way from little douchebag who has the voice of a bratty teenage girl... sigh.

You run around chopping people up and almost all of your kills require you to do something that amounts to no more than a QTE (instead of buttons you're waggling your arm).

I'm confused. You mean the zandatsu mechanic?

You don't need to do the QTE at all. You can zandatsu just fine by ignoring the QTE prompt altogether, and you can still collect spines off the floor without the QTE cutscene.

If by waggling your arm, I assume you mean that the slow-mo cutting mechanic is just aimless spamming your sword in any direction. It isn't. You actually need to be precise and aim your sword if you want to zandatsu enemies. You need to time it right, and do it fast, otherwise your focus(aka 'sword time') will run out and enemies will leap out of the way, it's definitely not as easy as it sounds. And in order to get upgrades, you need to slice off the left arms of enemies, also not as easy at it sounds.

I suppose you can just spam your slices at every enemy in sight. But doing so means you won't be collecting spines, wasting your focus, and won't be collecting upgrades. Not an ideal way to play the game.

Your killing is done against idiot cops who decide that the best way to kill you is to throw away their guns and
use stun batons.

Remember, we're talking about the Metal Gear universe, where ninjas deflect bullets. And are almost always dealt with through melee attacks, since guns are often useless against them. Grey Fox, sword Tengus, etc.

hell In an earlier trailer, we saw Sam charge a high calibur machine gun, deflecting every single bullet before killing the gunner.

Once you're face to face with a ninja, you'd better get your sword out. Because guns aren't going to cut it.

Admittedly, the environment in this trailer looked dull. But the action looked incredible.

Tohuvabohu:

RedDeadFred:

I'll help!

You play as a gigantic douche bag who gets off on killing people who has the voice of 70 year old woman with a hole in her neck.

He sure has come a long way from little douchebag who has the voice of a bratty teenage girl... sigh.

You run around chopping people up and almost all of your kills require you to do something that amounts to no more than a QTE (instead of buttons you're waggling your arm).

I'm confused. You mean the zandatsu mechanic?

You don't need to do the QTE at all. You can zandatsu just fine by ignoring the QTE prompt altogether, and you can still collect spines off the floor without the QTE cutscene.

If by waggling your arm, I assume you mean that the slow-mo cutting mechanic is just aimless spamming your sword in any direction. It isn't. You actually need to be precise and aim your sword if you want to zandatsu enemies. You need to time it right, and do it fast, otherwise your focus(aka 'sword time') will run out and enemies will leap out of the way, it's definitely not as easy as it sounds. And in order to get upgrades, you need to slice off the left arms of enemies, also not as easy at it sounds.

I suppose you can just spam your slices at every enemy in sight. But doing so means you won't be collecting spines, wasting your focus, and won't be collecting upgrades. Not an ideal way to play the game.

Your killing is done against idiot cops who decide that the best way to kill you is to throw away their guns and
use stun batons.

Remember, we're talking about the Metal Gear universe, where ninjas deflect bullets. And are almost always dealt with through melee attacks, since guns are often useless against them. Grey Fox, sword Tengus, etc.

hell In an earlier trailer, we saw Sam charge a high calibur machine gun, deflecting every single bullet before killing the gunner.

Once you're face to face with a ninja, you'd better get your sword out. Because guns aren't going to cut it.

Admittedly, the environment in this trailer looked dull. But the action looked incredible.

Thanks for the info. You put the game back on my radar. The combat does actually sound quite interesting.

Agent Monocle:

Just what i was thinking. "Go lethal", and they pull out sticks. WTF?

Anyway, a typical Japanese game. Way over the top, and better not to approach it with common sense. I mean, if the sword can rip through metal like butter, why does it take more than one hit to slice through a human? At least have humans wear some sort of super-future-metal-armor people...

proghead:

Anyway, a typical Japanese game. Way over the top, and better not to approach it with common sense. I mean, if the sword can rip through metal like butter, why does it take more than one hit to slice through a human? At least have humans wear some sort of super-future-metal-armor people...

Because those "humans", are cyborgs. In other words, their bodies are made of super-future-metal-armor.

And if your sword killed everything in a single hit, that wouldn't be a very fun or challenging game.

I'm a little on the fence about this game. Don't get me wrong, i don't care that it's not a stealth game; hell, I'd be disappointed if a game series containing cyborg-ninjas DIDN'T have a hack'n'slash spin-off. However, I do hope that the story turns out to be at least decent, but I haven't seem much to do with the story yet. The gameplay and action scenes look delightfully over-the-top, but I hope that the writers can balance that well with the story. It would be a little jarring to go from the over-the-top hack'n'slash fun to a cutscene that tries too hard to be dark and melancholy ( I actually just had a little chuckle when imagining a melancholy moment in this game with Raiden's voice actor using the same voice that he used at the start of the trailer :P ).

Tohuvabohu:

proghead:

Because those "humans", are cyborgs. In other words, their bodies are made of super-future-metal-armor.

And if your sword killed everything in a single hit, that wouldn't be a very fun or challenging game.

If that's true, ok. Didn't know that. But i didn't say everything, just humans.

proghead:

Agent Monocle:

Just what i was thinking. "Go lethal", and they pull out sticks. WTF?

Well, from what I could tell, he was only able to slice through people when the slow-motion (swordtime/focus) power was enacted. Also, they might have been blocking with their "sticks". I couldn't tell for sure. That might've done something.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here