DMC: Devil May Cry Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Rocklobster99:

Archemetis:

Name some that don't relate to your personal preference.

The story being a ripoff of They Live

The writing being so terrible that they made the main villain more sympathetic than the heroes

The dialogue

The combat

The hamfisted social commentary

360 noscope abortions

An ending that makes almost zero sense

I want no more spoilers.

BUt I must say you missed out the butchery of Sparda. Sparda got captured and exiled by some demons? Fucking really? Because the rest of the series myhtos has Sparda as a nigh-unstoppable killing machine.

Look, here's the thing... the first, third and fourth Devil May Cry games had some of the best melee combat of any game ever. In terms of the hack-and-slash genre, I'd only put the Ninja Gaiden games as being of equal calibre purely in terms of combat engine. Especially with DMC3, the guys at Capcom managed to create some truly game changing, top of the line gameplay. You simply don't get much better than the combat in DMC3.

If you're going to continue a series, then I would expect the developers and publishers to build on that. If your previous game had one of the best combat engines ever, then the obvious decision for a sequel is to make it even better. And if you can't do that, what's the point of even making a sequel?

This new DMC reboot should have better combat than either 3 or 4. While DMC 4 had many flaws, Capcom at least managed to polish the combat even more. They should have gone further with that. Instead, they gave the series to a developer who has only ever produced mediocre-at-best combat engines, and started taking steps backwards. I wouldn't mind Ninja Theory taking over the series if they managed to make the combat better. I wouldn't even mind them rebooting the universe and pushing their new Dante in everyone's faces if the fighting was at least a step up from previous games. But that simply doesn't seem to be the case. Not only have they wound everyone up with all the canon-rebooting, but they simply don't seem to have justified it with improved combat at all. In every bit of footage I've seen, the combat has seemed serviceable at best- some depth, but seemingly laggy inputs, no real sense of flow, and dumb enemies who telegraph their every move. Any other game, perhaps, that wouldn't be a problem. But Devil May Cry has long been the benchmark against which game melee combat is measured, and standards should be higher for it than for other games. If Ferrari followed up something like their Enzo or F35 supercars with a Vauxhall Nova knock-off, then it doesn't matter how serviceable and fuel-friendly it is, it's still a step down in performance.

Ninja Theory were simply a poor choice of developer. Their prior games haven't had anything close to stellar combat, and the Unreal Engine (which they use extensively) simply isn't built for fast-paced, reflexive hack and slash games. If any third-party developer out there is capable of taking up the mantle, it's Platinum Studios. Not surprising considering that they have some of the same guys who worked on the original Devil May Cry games. The DMC reboot should have brought the same refinement to the genre that Bayonetta did, and that Metal Gear Rising looks to. Instead, as a hack-and-slash game, the mechanics just look... meh. And no amount of pretty scenery can make up for that.

Very disappointing to see The Escapist has given this polished turd a pass. I've known it would come to this since the debut trailer for this game first came out. I REFUSE to support Capcom with my money by paying for this gutted, pandering, hackjob that thinks it's my beloved Devil May Cray. Fuck Capcom and fuck Ninja Theory. I'm playing Bayonetta 2.

Archemetis:
Also, I'm sorry, but am I reading comments in regards to the writing being worse than the original games?

You people realise you're talking about Capcom's writing, right?

Just so we can be clear on this one...

(Just to add: I love Capcom games, but I sure as hell don't love them for their writing.)

CAPCOM didn't write or develop it, those are both on NT. Secondly, while the DMC series wasn't exactly Planescape Torment, it was self-aware enough to not take itself too seriously so you could laugh WITH it instead of AT it and the characters at least had some charm and were likable. This...this tries SO HARD to be taken seriously and FAILS at every turn. NT's version of Dante is like Travis Touchdown played straight and as such he comes off as a complete twat-racket.

DragonWright:
I've played the demo, and it's competent, could've been fun. If this was a new IP, marketed as a DMC-inspired Capcom/NT collaboration, I might've bought it.

But, taking over DMC, giving us this foul-mouthed, unlikable protagonist? I'm passing.

I totally agree with you man. I'd have been fine if this was just "Angel/Demon Protagonist game #473" and classed as a new IP. But rail-roading the Devil May Cry franchise and abandoning the games that already exist just feels wrong. I was looking forward to an actual Devil May Cry 5 and I'd have bought it, so would new people to the franchise but it looks like I won't get that long awaited sequel now, at least not for a very. very long time. Sad really. Everyone could've got what they wanted fan-boy or no, but sadly it just hasn't turned out that way.

Its a better game than the last at least in trems of game play and in that it might be the best, difficulty is so so and the new design is stupidly annoying.Its a begrudging 7 if that. That is all......

Well. Finally played the damn thing. It surprises me that I don't hate it as much as I thought it would. Though that's like saying a root canal only hurt slightly ass much as you expected.

The game is okay. Not the complete flop fan boys expected it to be. But my god, this has no business calling itself a Devil May Cry game. All the fun has been sucked out of what story the franchise had, and fucked over the combat quite a bit.

I'd give this a pass.

Danial:
I hope the writing and voice acting can live up to the stellar stuff we got from the first 4 games.

Oh and thanks for the stellar line of spoilers here guys. Its a just a shame that The Escapist doesn't have say, Spoiler tags for hiding spoiler plot points

Oh and the Dante with white hair cut scene is what we call a joke, Its a new thing to the internet i know but try goggling the word, you'd be surprised on how many of them there are out there. Hopefully the internet can one day learn not to act like Islamic extremists when someone in power slightly mocks their silly self righteous anger.

Yay for original thoughts...

Yeah. People use that one scene a lot to say DMC's writing wasn't much to write home about in the first place. But thst's one overly dramatic scene that makes up 1% of all the cutscenes.

Aiddon:

Xcell935:
This game was literally as if Grass growing and Paint drying made a video game. The very definition of a rental.
As a Devil May Cry game, its horrible.

The characters even Dante are wooden and unlikeable, the "ground breaking writing" from NT is as cliche as it comes and is heavy on bad dialogue, the gameplay is slow but tight but compared to DMC standards it is sub par, humor is not "Shakespearean", and the ending is flat and predictable. Yes this game wasn't the horrible abomination people predicted it would be, but it still suffered the same fate as RE6. When you cut off a large portion of the demographic, and show disrespect towards the original source material, you lose sales, A LOT of sales.

In a nutshell saying that this games "success" in not being bad "silenced the haters", you are dead wrong. All it did was prove our/the fans points that has nothing to do with change really, just bad decision making on Capcom's end. Its a damn shame, I really wanted a DMC5.

At the very least, it's just difficult to recommend this game when there are other, BETTER options out there. The DMC HD Collection, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, God War 1, 2, and 3, El Shaddai, Asura's Wrath, and Bayonetta are all cheaper, and just BETTER (or at the least just more unique). Heck, I'd even say just wait for Metal Gear Rising which has been looking GREAT so far (and heck, people will probably make a more concrete decision with the demo coming out next week). And if it's story, you're not playing the DMC series ANYWAY; if you did play this, you're just gonna be disappointed at the least

I probably should have mentioned that I did play it beginning to end, pretty much the perks you get for having a cousin whose second job is to get early access to games in order to review them.

I merely mentioned the bad story because this is Ninja Theory (Fact: Fans of the game pre-release even voted that they cared more about the story then the gameplay, a weird fact indeed...), you'd think they would have hired a good writer like they did their previous titles but no. Not to mention DMC's story in general was never anything to brag about but at least some of its previous title's stories were simple, this ones is trying too hard to be something revolutionary and ends up hopping the bandwagon of all cliches.

Funny you mention MG Rising, I played that demo and I can honestly say I have the feeling it'll turn out great. Sure the being able to cut anything and everything isn't original but what Rising has that the DMC reboot lacks is the fun. I got nostalgic DMC3 chills when I played Rising, not only that but DMC's original creator is directing it, and the combat is not only fluid its also fast. I can only imagine the possibilities when it comes to the challenge it will bring.
Sometimes its wise to do research and get an idea before you spend your small fortune of 60$ after all.

Xcell935:

I probably should have mentioned that I did play it beginning to end, pretty much the perks you get for having a cousin whose second job is to get early access to games in order to review them.

I merely mentioned the bad story because this is Ninja Theory (Fact: Fans of the game pre-release even voted that they cared more about the story then the gameplay, a weird fact indeed...), you'd think they would have hired a good writer like they did their previous titles but no. Not to mention DMC's story in general was never anything to brag about but at least some of its previous title's stories were simple, this ones is trying too hard to be something revolutionary and ends up hopping the bandwagon of all cliches.

Funny you mention MG Rising, I played that demo and I can honestly say I have the feeling it'll turn out great. Sure the being able to cut anything and everything isn't original but what Rising has that the DMC reboot lacks is the fun. I got nostalgic DMC3 chills when I played Rising, not only that but DMC's original creator is directing it, and the combat is not only fluid its also fast. I can only imagine the possibilities when it comes to the challenge it will bring.
Sometimes its wise to do research and get an idea before you spend your small fortune of 60$ after all.

Actually Rising isn't being directed by Kamiya (he isn't even REMOTELY involved in development) as he's already directing The Wonderful 101. Still, it is looking good so far and even the demo seems to trounce this...THING'S attempts at gameplay.

Shadowstar38:
Yay for original thoughts...

Yeah. People use that one scene a lot to say DMC's writing wasn't much to write home about in the first place. But thst's one overly dramatic scene that makes up 1% of all the cutscenes.

It's one example of many, Capcom games have the same ideas towards writing as Jimmy Savile had towards the year 6 netball team i.e. nothing good. DMC 1-4 all contained some really awful writing and in 2 of the games terrible stories (2/4), I'm an undying fan of DMC3, its one of the best games ever made and also holds one of my only ever real achievements in a game (finished on DMD mode) but as good as the main story was, the writing to get their was in parts teeth gratingly awful ("This Party's getting CHRAZEH! lets rock!").

DmC, from the 3 hours i have played is...Not a great deal better story/Writing wise I'll admit, and doesn't hold a candle too 3, It so far feels like a good solid 7/10 game, But people are comparing it to the old games and holding them up as pure bastions of greatness that are being besmirched by the fact that one out of context scene and the fact that Dante looks different, I cant in any way shape or form see why people hate this and still defend DMC2, which was genuinely terrible.

Its a good game, It's not as good as Bayonetta or DMC3, or possibly MGSR (i refuse to call it Revengence, that is not a real word) but its hardly a 0/10 abortion that the people who, as far as i can work out have mostly not bothered playing the damn thing) seem to think, but then again holding fan review meta critic marks as anything other than a /v/ Revenge kick is usually a bad idea.

Aiddon:

Archemetis:
Also, I'm sorry, but am I reading comments in regards to the writing being worse than the original games?

Just so we can be clear on this one...

(Just to add: I love Capcom games, but I sure as hell don't love them for their writing.)

CAPCOM didn't write or develop it, those are both on NT. Secondly, while the DMC series wasn't exactly Planescape Torment, it was self-aware enough to not take itself too seriously so you could laugh WITH it instead of AT it and the characters at least had some charm and were likable. This...this tries SO HARD to be taken seriously and FAILS at every turn. NT's version of Dante is like Travis Touchdown played straight and as such he comes off as a complete twat-racket.

While I'm not disagreeing with the bulk of your post, please realise that when I wrote my post, not once did I say that Capcom developed or wrote this iteration of DMC.

What I did say, in case it wasn't very clear was that people were complaining about the writing by comparing it to the previous games, which were developed and written by Capcom who I was quick to remind everyone can't write for toffees.

Steve Waltz:

Archemetis:

Actually, no. We're talking about Ninja Theory's writing. Ninja Theory developed this game, Capcom only published it.

Like I just said to the other guy who misunderstood this, I didn't say Capcom wrote this game, I said they wrote the games before it (and that the writing wasn't exactly stellar then).

This was in response to people comparing the writing of then and now and somehow coming out thinking Capcom were writing gods.

Thank you.

Gardock:
Everyone says the tonal update was necessary, that the old Dante looks silly now instead of badass. Especially Ninja Theory.

Here's the thing: that's the point! He was ridiculous and campy and dated-looking in 2001, too. He looked like an anime vampire who had raided Michael Jackson's closet. That was the tone of the games; it was all ridiculous metal album grimdarkery in the setting, cruised through by a guy who's too "cool" to be taken seriously, especially considering how extremely flamboyant he was at the same time. Trying to make Dante less faboo so he can be "legitimately" badass is a horrible case of missing the point, and if anything just makes him seem dumber for trying to be handled with a straight face. The last thing I want from this series is actual attempts to be edgy; I want effeminate men loudly lamenting their cliched tortured pasts in rooms with all the walls covered in ebony skulls that bleed from the eyes.

Yeah I thought that was the point too. But now that I think about it, old Dante was cheesy and silly in a Japanese anime way while new Dante is cheesy and silly in an American B movie summer blockbuster way.

Kinda cool now that I think about it

PoolCleaningRobot:

Yeah I thought that was the point too. But now that I think about it, old Dante was cheesy and silly in a Japanese anime way while new Dante is cheesy and silly in an American B movie summer blockbuster way.

Kinda cool now that I think about it

Problem: Ninja Theory aren't AWARE that their Dante is at best a B-Movie knockoff. They're playing straight and are ending up as the bigger joke

Was the review shortened for some reason? There's only a few references to story, characters, and none at all about music. Plus a lot of the arguments were turned on their head at the end. Mostly I'm stuck wondering how it got a decent score when most comments are negative and the ones that are there sound as though the author is cringing. Especially with this line:

Encaen:
it is possible for a mini-boss to fail to spawn when it should, which leaves you trapped in a tiny area. In order to proceed, you're forced to restart the entire level, which can be maddening

if I saw that happen while I had to write a review about a game, I wouldn't give the game anything above one unless the rest of the game is pure joy and feels like the game blows me while I'm playing. Especially the comment about how multiple play sessions are recommended, isn't a good game one you lose sleep on and don't want to leave well past the ending?

Kitsune Hunter:
Good review, defiently going to pick it up, but I wonder what the naysayers think, now that their hopes of the game being a flop have been dashed, will they accept it and give the game a try or continue to whine about dante not having white hair anymore

Let me put it like this: if a shit-covered donut has black sprinkles instead of white sprinkles, it isn't going to make a lick of difference. And you know why that is?

It's because the donut is made of shit.

Dante is an absolutely abhorrent bastardization of what once was a fun, zany, and very likeable character. And no amount of hair dye will fix that.

Take it away, Hyper:

To be honest, if they had stuck with what they were planning early early on (A prequel, maybe something like based off the novels so it's about Dante during his Tony Redgrave days). But I bought this game, hoping that maybe it would be better if I thought of it as a DmC inspired game. But no, not even my love for games So Bad they are Good couldn't help (and I rank Damnation as one of my favorite games). New Dante is a complete twat, New Vergil has basically no style (the trailer for his DLC made me weep) and the gameplay just sucks.

I played it and liked it. I guess that is some sort of sin or something on these forums.

Vanitas likes Bubbles:
I played it and liked it. I guess that is some sort of sin or something on these forums.

I don't get it. We voice our complaints, and people rain down upon us like we're preaching that the Earth is flat.

You're more than welcome to enjoy this game. Hell, if I hadn't played the originals and was still in a daze of blissful ignorance, I might actually think the new title's gameplay is pretty fun.

I just get annoyed when people insist that we're angry about the title because of some insignificant trite like "the character's hair has changed color," when there is much, much more to complain about.

It's like a valet crashes your car, and you go to complain to the company that he works for. And they respond with "well, you only hate it because the valet is wearing a black vest," it doesn't change the fact that he still crashed your goddamn car.

Come again!

josh4president:
Looks fun.

Hope they patch that problem with the mini-bosses not spawning, though.

Having to restart an entire chapter just because of one bug is maddening.

Is that a thing? I finished the whole thing without any problems, apart from those damn Dreamrunners. Bastards just wont die.

Nachtmahr:
Vergil was a godawful pussy. He couldn't even take out a few demons by himself. He was one of the biggest badasses in DMC.

Remember when Vergil was a proud swordsman who refused to use guns because they weren't the weapons of a true warrior?

Ninja Theory doesn't.

I beat the game Friday. Some of the worst garbage I have ever dealt with. I took notes while playing and immediately after finishing the game which I hope to post soon. I thought this would be an alright game but a bad DMC, but it isn't even a decent game when you forget about the franchise it is supposed to be a part of.

This guy put it best. Sadly little other reviewers seem to take a look at the story at all.

Some of the cons:

lapan:

This guy put it best. Sadly little other reviewers seem to take a look at the story at all.

Some of the cons:

I am honestly surprised they were allowed to release the game THIS unfinished. It just reeks of sloppiness on NT's part. Considering how Tameem has brushed people off on Twitter blatantly SHOWING him glitches I doubt they're gonna be patched. At the very least, the game probably doesn't have a chance of reaching DMC4 numbers. It's just gonna be swept under the rug and forgotten

BleedingPride:

josh4president:
Looks fun.

Hope they patch that problem with the mini-bosses not spawning, though.

Having to restart an entire chapter just because of one bug is maddening.

Is that a thing? I finished the whole thing without any problems, apart from those damn Dreamrunners. Bastards just wont die.

Yeah that's a thing.

Be glad the glitch-fairy passed your house by on that one.

Devil May Cry looks like it is a pretty good game. I can't wait to get it on PC. Does it have any side missions or is it pretty linear?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Look, here's the thing... the first, third and fourth Devil May Cry games had some of the best melee combat of any game ever. In terms of the hack-and-slash genre, I'd only put the Ninja Gaiden games as being of equal calibre purely in terms of combat engine. Especially with DMC3, the guys at Capcom managed to create some truly game changing, top of the line gameplay. You simply don't get much better than the combat in DMC3.

If you're going to continue a series, then I would expect the developers and publishers to build on that. If your previous game had one of the best combat engines ever, then the obvious decision for a sequel is to make it even better. And if you can't do that, what's the point of even making a sequel?

This new DMC reboot should have better combat than either 3 or 4. While DMC 4 had many flaws, Capcom at least managed to polish the combat even more. They should have gone further with that. Instead, they gave the series to a developer who has only ever produced mediocre-at-best combat engines, and started taking steps backwards. I wouldn't mind Ninja Theory taking over the series if they managed to make the combat better. I wouldn't even mind them rebooting the universe and pushing their new Dante in everyone's faces if the fighting was at least a step up from previous games. But that simply doesn't seem to be the case. Not only have they wound everyone up with all the canon-rebooting, but they simply don't seem to have justified it with improved combat at all. In every bit of footage I've seen, the combat has seemed serviceable at best- some depth, but seemingly laggy inputs, no real sense of flow, and dumb enemies who telegraph their every move. Any other game, perhaps, that wouldn't be a problem. But Devil May Cry has long been the benchmark against which game melee combat is measured, and standards should be higher for it than for other games. If Ferrari followed up something like their Enzo or F35 supercars with a Vauxhall Nova knock-off, then it doesn't matter how serviceable and fuel-friendly it is, it's still a step down in performance.

Ninja Theory were simply a poor choice of developer. Their prior games haven't had anything close to stellar combat, and the Unreal Engine (which they use extensively) simply isn't built for fast-paced, reflexive hack and slash games. If any third-party developer out there is capable of taking up the mantle, it's Platinum Studios. Not surprising considering that they have some of the same guys who worked on the original Devil May Cry games. The DMC reboot should have brought the same refinement to the genre that Bayonetta did, and that Metal Gear Rising looks to. Instead, as a hack-and-slash game, the mechanics just look... meh. And no amount of pretty scenery can make up for that.

uhh, maybe play the demo dude

most of the videos have the difficulty on normal, when in my opinion DmC doesn't even start until you get on Son of Sparda, which ups the AI, and gives all the enemies new attacks. Not to mention that the combat has exactly as much flow as you are capable of putting out. It gives you every tool you could possible ask for, a whip to bring yourself to enemies, a whip to bring enemies to you, and 8 delicious weapons to use however you want.

i am kind of disappointed that you would attempt to gauge a games mechanics (literally the mechanism of action by which the game rests on) by watching someone else play the game.

:p

I began playing it last weekend, it's not a bad game but all the "FUCKING AMAZING!!!" feel it has in the first few moments seem to pass away quickly :( After a (rather short) while the whole "turning into limbo" visual effects and "crumbling passages" platform became quite repetitive, also the fighting system is a bit off, it's not "stylish" as the old DMC nor brutal like God of War, it's somewhere in between, some place that, to me, is just sorta boring.
In short, I was expecting much more of this game, it's not bad, but it's not something I think gamers will remember after a few years...

Bat Vader:
Devil May Cry looks like it is a pretty good game. I can't wait to get it on PC. Does it have any side missions or is it pretty linear?

VERY linear, which isn't a bad thing at all, and is to be expected in the genre. What you DO have are collectibles that might take you "slightly" out of your way and certain locked doors that can be opened to challenges.

I liked it. Good review, though i dont agree with getting lost and needing a "Superb Sense of direction". I spend hours being lost in skyrim, but i made it through the game with no trouble. Its pretty linear.

Its a great game though. Combat is great, the level design is amazing, and while there are a few minor problems i have with it, im not going to bash it for them. All games have problems, this one has some of the least game changing.

Im happy to have rented this game, and may purchase it in the future.

Kitsune Hunter:
Good review, defiently going to pick it up, but I wonder what the naysayers think, now that their hopes of the game being a flop have been dashed, will they accept it and give the game a try or continue to whine about dante not having white hair anymore

As a former Naysayer, I can at least take solace knowing that the game was decent gameplay wise.
I was amazed that the Donte actually had character development and was somewhat likable.

The story however...laughably stupid. Even more stupid because of how serious the game is taking itself. And my biggest complaint is the boss fights being too easy other than a few exceptions like Bob Barbas.
And the ending was just downright pandering and was such an asspull. I know Ninja Theory was trying to appeal to new comers and even older fans of the franchise, but it felt so half-hearted at the very end that the conflict between Dante and Vergil held little to no emotional weight along with Kat's forced romantic interest.

Still though, it's a good game by technicalities. Gameplay and Combat is solid, while a bit lacking along with the platforming actually surpassing that of the original DMC games. (FINALLY! CONTROLLED JUMPING)
Also the environments in DmC are FAN FUCKING TASTIC!!!

Just don't go in the game expecting strong characterization for anyone other than Donte.

"The story being a ripoff of They Live"

Oh yes, the original Devil May Cry was original. Well, original in a parallel dimension where Vampire Hunter D and Blade don't exist. Or an old anime series called "Cobra"---->http://static.minitokyo.net/downloads/20/15/443270.jpg

"The writing being so terrible that they made the main villain more sympathetic than the heroes"

This makes me slap my forehead. DmC isn't exactly Godfather level writing, but this is your bias showing. Devil May Cry's plot since day 1 had this nasty habit of stumbling around, forgetting it existed half of the time and only waking up from its stupor for no more than 2 cut scenes. DMC3 was the only one out of the original series that kept a consistent plot going through the entire game.

"The dialogue"

Would you like to get this party crazy, or fill my dark soul with LIIIIIIGGGGGHT?

"The combat"

Oh, this is funny. So far, the same hardcore crowd that valiantly rushes in to defend broken game mechanics goes bonkers at the lack of auto-aim. Sorry, but this is the only, ONLY complaint I've ever heard about how trashed the combat system is.

The hamfisted social commentary

Its about as "hamfisted" as a movie like The Warriors. It's not like they're giving Metal Gear Solid/ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution level critiques on the state of the nation.

"360 noscope abortions"

Uh...wuh?

"An ending that makes almost zero sense[/quote]"

What didn't make sense about it? I won't go into spoiler territory...but what didn't make sense? Really? I mean, unless the credits freaked you out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here