The Death of Mario

Pages PREV 1 2 3

As of right now, Mario is in a really bad position. He's a character that people can place in many different positions (plumber, street cleaner, galaxy hopper), but is constantly being pushed into the same tiny window of sequels and remakes of the same game.
I played through New Super Mario Bros. U in less than a weekend, and I felt that it was one of the most unentertaining games I've ever played. It was trying to be exactly like it's already weak predecessors, where it would try to give you a million and one different concepts, so that each and every level was filled with a different way of playing. The problem with that is that the game then feels the need to teach everyone how to play every different thing, so the difficulty can't progress nearly as high as something like the original Super Mario Bros.
I'm getting off track...
Mario's problem is that he's constantly being thrown into the exact same games that don't offer any challenge, throw in no bits of originality or charm, and are formed in typically either three niches that Nintendo can't seem to escape; Super Mario, New Super Mario, or obligatory kart and party games.
Now, it's been shown that Nintendo can make original, witty, and entertaining games (Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Mario Superstar Saga, Super Mario Sunshine), and are able to make a design for side games where you do nothing but play a board game or go go-carting (Mario Party and Kart are fun).
But, Nintendo keeps basing the success of its future mario games on the sequels of all of these games, and recently nothing original or unique has been coming out of their doors. All of their recent releases (and even premiere releases for their new system) have all been just "sequels" (I hate to say sequel because that would require the game to be different somehow). If they don't want their mascot to fall under and become just that creepy uncle we used to like, they need to come up with an original game that is as charming and unique as some of the past games were.

SkarKrow:

Moth_Monk:
I don't understand why people think that Sonic is in a worse situation than Mario. At least Sonic still is a character...

I keep telling people on this site that Colours and Generations are fantastic games but they just don't listen.

I remember when it started, I still have my Sega CD game, I even remember the big brouhaha over stacking cartridges.

Now all I see are chilli dogs, and my youthful memories reduces to a bland purple-flavored ooze.

It was time many, many years ago. It's truely sad to see such a renowned franchise fall further and further each game release.

The death of mario will be when nintendo believes they won't get tons of cash when they put him in games.

I still want to see a Mario game with a proper plot and characters. That would be an interesting new direction.

Icehearted:

SkarKrow:

Moth_Monk:
I don't understand why people think that Sonic is in a worse situation than Mario. At least Sonic still is a character...

I keep telling people on this site that Colours and Generations are fantastic games but they just don't listen.

I remember when it started, I still have my Sega CD game, I even remember the big brouhaha over stacking cartridges.

Now all I see are chilli dogs, and my youthful memories reduces to a bland purple-flavored ooze.

Never had a Sega CD when I was a kid, couldn't afford that kind of luxury, our Mega Drive was given away to us.

I like the chilli dogs, it's a nice nod to other things. I wish they'd take more from STC though, Vector is the brains of the Chaotix crew damn it not the muscle > >

It was time to retire mario.... 10 years ago. Its like a guest that has outstayed its welcome and tries to bribe you to stay when you start pushing him out of the door. no, scrap that, he does nto try to bribe, he hits you on the head so you would not push him out.

As long as the games starring Mario keep being fun, I see no reason to be rid of him. Opinions differ on this, but I still enjoy many of them.

Why am I reading this out loud in my head in Moviebob's Boston accent?
Maybe irony?
No idea, but it sure is fun.

Mahoshonen:
Interesting points by Yahtzee, but it seems that the only alternative to what's going on with Mario is to look at what happened to Sonic. And I doubt anyone wants to wind up in that situation.

Exactly... this is the problem. People criticize Sonic for continuing to churn out crap but then when the creators don't have anything new to give out they are accused of being protective of the IP. They can't seem to win this time.

"But when was the last time Mickey Mouse actually did anything? Anything besides being plastered across toys and clothing by the massive corporation to which he is enslaved? Epic Mickey, granted, but it's been a long fucking time since he starred in a cartoon short or a film, which was where he built his appeal"

Your forgetting about reruns. Aslong as Tv keeps spouting the reruns, the loony toons can never be forgotten and stay "new", using that word in a very weak way. Its like what TV is to video games sequels for popular Nintendo characters/franchises. Its basically the same thing repeated over and over again.

"Maybe it goes further than that. Maybe we are living in a post-mascot age"

Exactly thats what I thought when I heard of Mario.

"We don't need to work at building a relationship between you and our characters anymore. We're just going to dictate what you like. Whether or not a character proved popular is no longer relevant, we simply act under the assumption that they are. I mean, Fat Princess? Seriously?"

Yeah it would be like entertaining the notion of adding in Rayman to Super Smash Bro's, a character not even associated with Nintendo (but playstation and one which was not a rival to any other character unlike how Sonic is to Mario)

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here