The Time I Was a Social Outcast

Pages PREV 1 2

FargoDog:

Res Plus:
I do love the way "problematic" is employed by the supercilious sanctimony brigade, so euphemistically aggressive; as they march on, turning everything utterance into an "-ism" in an attempt to utterly sanitise all discourse.

The tone is deliberately adopted to make a point, not sure how one could be so wrapped up in a desperate attempt to underline one's own hyper "liberal" credentials that could be missed?

You think problematic is a bad word to use? The line is a problem, for a variety of reasons, and is therefore problematic. This is not a difficult concept to understand.

I could go with 'borderline offensive and should never have slipped through editing, regardless of intent' but I'm afraid that might upset you. Isn't that wonderfully ironic?

I don't think it is a problem but we will never agree on that. "Regardless of intent" is extraordinarily worrying though. You want to censor certain words or phrases completely, no matter how they are intended? Really? Criminal law rest on the nature of mens res or mental state, that is how the startled home owner who screams and stabs the interloper doesn't go to jail for twenty five years. Intention is everything. Blanket bans are for repressive regimes, if you want to ban "offensive words" not matter the sentiment you are one step away from FargoDog land where everyone thinks Fargo thoughts. Surely?

FargoDog:

I could go with 'borderline offensive and should never have slipped through editing, regardless of intent' but I'm afraid that might upset you. Isn't that wonderfully ironic?

"I am incredibly offended by the fact that you found something borderline offensive!"

Res Plus:

I don't think it is a problem but we will never agree on that. "Regardless of intent" is extraordinarily worrying though. You want to censor certain words or phrases completely, no matter how they are intended? Really? Criminal law rest on the nature of mens res or mental state, that is how the startled home owner who screams and stabs the interloper doesn't go to jail for twenty five years. Intention is everything. Blanket bans are for repressive regimes, if you want to ban "offensive words" not matter the sentiment you are one step away from FargoDog land where everyone thinks Fargo thoughts. Surely?

I don't think you quite comprehend the meaning of the word "censorship". You appear to be one of the many people who are suffering under the misconception that "freedom of speech" means "freedom to say whatever you want and not be criticised for any of it".

But then, I'm trying to rationalise with someone who uses the phrase "supercilious sanctimony brigade" without a trace of irony, so I might be wasting my time.

Obviously just like life you didn't read the instructions that come with the game. Once you get the hang of it the card game is pretty easy.

Badum TSS

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or