Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #3

Five days. Five of 2012's best games.

Read Full Article

It's not really that bad when any dipshit with no training can repair the engine given enough time.

You have to insectdecide quickly, or the game will bite your head off.

erttheking:
It's not really that bad when any dipshit with no training can repair the engine given enough time.

This is very true, I always have to wonder at the effectiveness of fixing a hullbreach by hitting it with a rock...

"Cory Rydell and Grey Carter are ordinary men, come have a look in their eyes".

I see what you did thar guys. You've been listening to that song "Bullets" from the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer...

What was the subject again?

The alien kind of reminds me of Zorak!

I don't think I'd have the patience for FTL in all honesty.

Fappy:

Holy shit you're right!

And now I find myself missing The Brak Show and Space Ghost again... sigh.

Loving these #5 comics guys, keep it up.
I've got 57 plays and only 3 victories...on easy

Even funnier (not sure if intended), Mantises suck at making repairs!

I had been hoping for (or hoping to make myself) a game like FTL for ages, and I just hope that, like Minecraft, their success opens the floodgates for new games in this style to crop up.

People with the Star Trek IP, listen up, these indies have made the best Star Trek game ever, and it isn't even Star Trek! You'd better be taking notes, because this is the feel Star Trek Online should've had.

As for the game itself... I don't find the boss that terrible (granted, I haven't faced it on normal yet), as long as the missile launcher DIES.

What I find as the epitome of bullcrap is when you get into an ion-storm, combined with the "pirates have hacked a subsystem" event which instantly and irrevocably disables shields and weapons for the duration.

Funny you guys should mention FTL, I've just (as in five minutes ago) unlocked the stealth prototype ship. The layout upgrades look a bit of a faff, guess I'll have to upgrade the cloak to max for those ones.

OT: Too true! The AI in FTL can be a bit ruthless, although I have been comforted a number of times knowing that the enemy crew will follow me to the grave shortly after my ship explodes/is gutted by fire/undergoes total decompression in similar situations to this one.

'Tactical genius' indeed.

I can't think of anything witty so I'll just stick to the facts.

FTL is fun and frustrating at the same time which, with many other good games, is the point of the experience.

Stupid bullshit boss.

Did someone say TACTICAL GENIUS?!

Fappy:

This game is both tedious and amazingly rewarding at the same time. I have never gone from frustration (expecting to lose a battle), to elation (winning the battle), to despair (realizing you're boned anyway) as quickly as I have playing this game, and then started playing it again immediately after losing. While Dark Souls left me wanting to punch walls, this game left me surprisingly accepting my numerous failures as part of the game play.

Hmmm, those insectoid guys aren't too bright are they?

The thing that got me into the game was that it's far deeper than I expected. There are so many valid upgrade roots and uses for scrap which I though was really refreshing compared to many games were some upgrades outstrip all the others in terms of usefulness.

I also love all the ways you can manage to screw yourself over by trying to be smart. In one game, I kept getting boarded so I decided to leave the airlocks open and vent to space all the sections that weren't occupied by my crew. I found the glaring hole in my logic when my door control was damaged and then my oxygen generator. My crew suffocated before they could fix the oxygen.

FTL is probably my favourite game of last year.

If you think the Rebel Flagship is bullshit, you should see some of the Elite Cruiser designs DrkTemplar came up with for his "Infinite Space" sandbox mod. They soundly spank the Flagship and send it back to its corner whimpering in fear...

Very pleased to see FTL made your list, it definitely deserves every bit of praise and attention it gets.

Damn you and your comic. I have skipped all the games you have listed so far because honestly never caught my attention, but now, JUST AFTER THE SELLS PASSED, i feel compelled to buy them...

FUUUUUUUUU.... mind doing this BEFORE the deals are over next time?

Tanakh:
Damn you and your comic. I have skipped all the games you have listed so far because honestly never caught my attention, but now, JUST AFTER THE SELLS PASSED, i feel compelled to buy them...

FUUUUUUUUU.... mind doing this BEFORE the deals are over next time?

It's still only like 7, hardly expensive :P

OT: Had so much fun with this game, haven't beat it yet though...

I really like FTL, but I hate having to restart every fifteen minutes (My usual life expectancy). I would love it even more if the game let you save. Like, give it more systems to go through, all still completely randomized so replays are different, but let me save when I wish. Hell, I'd even settle for check points at the start of each system.

After dozens of playthroughs I've only made it to the big badass ship once and was utterly destroyed. It's quite demoralizing...

Toasty Virus:
It's still only like 7, hardly expensive :P

OT: Had so much fun with this game, haven't beat it yet though...

Not about the price, but about knowing those were 50% or better just few days ago! The burn of missed sales hurts my soul.

Hm...from all the comments of this thread, and the comic itself, Im guessing this FTL game is pretty fun. I should get it, as well. It`s 10 euros on Steam at the moment, but I`ll be looking out for a sale. Tight on cash, and all that.

I HAAAAATE THIS GAME!!! REALLY I DO!!! *200 jumps later* DAMN IT!!! I HAAAAATE THIS GAME!!! Why do I keep doing this to my self? *2 hours later* F*CK YOU CLOAKING END BOSS! THIS GAME IS SUCH BS! Maybe if I went with a pike beam next time......*100 jumps later* DAMN IT!!

Typical play session. I am sure that the people who made FTL soaked the code is Cocaine and Heroin.

My strategy is to (hopefully) meet slavers, attack them, then get them to send me one of their slaves. It makes for a highly adaptable crew.

Love this game, though I haven't unlocked very much.

Although for a sequel, I'd like an exploration/trade/sandbox mode where you just fly around etc... maybe with less scrap to not make progression too fast. Being chased only lasts so long and turning it off with mods is kinda cheating.
Would also like ground missions where you send your crew down to a planet to explore/whatever or where your job is to capture a giant enemy warship (with several floors, not just one).
I'd also like if there were more options to the energy management system. Maybe a battery cell consumable/upgrade that gives you 1 or so energy more for 60 seconds or so... and maybe the ability to supercharge your shields or weapons at the cost of shutting down another system (nearly) completely. I loved the energy and shield systems in those old space sims... freespace and some others, don't remember the names.

I have never even seen the final boss I only managed to make it to the fifth sector I think.
One thing I did learn always buy the airlock upgrade quickly you're going to need it if fire ever starts spreading.

I roll like pirates. You board and you kill, then strip the ship. The more mantis, the better, though rock are good at holding the fort down. Once I unlocked the mantis cruiser...ah...so sweet.

I have 103 total playthroughs and 73 hours logged in steam. only have won 12 times, one of which was on normal (my crowning achievement!) I REALLY want more of this and wish there was more content to the game. I have unlocked almost all ships and their alternate layouts (I lack the mystery cruiser and the mantis cruiser.)

Fappy:

And once I finally buy this game, I will forever name any mantis crew member I start with Zorak.

This is how I felt about Liquid's plan in the first Metal Gear Solid. He needs Snake in order to complete his plan, but he needs to kill Snake so he doesn't interfere with his plan. Brilliant plan, guy.

P.S. Thanks

Okysho:
Did someone say TACTICAL GENIUS?!

That's when the mantis realized his captive human was a 300 ton battletank. JUST AS PLANNED!

Also, as far as systems go in my playthroughs, Damage evasion>weapons systems>life support>subsystems in the upgrade paths. For repairs in case shit happens, medbay>>>>>doors>Shields>controls>engines>O2>weapons>most anything else. I cannot count the times that having a repaired medbay has saved my ass. Everything else can be destroyed completely and the medbay is the key to defense.

rofltehcat:
Love this game, though I haven't unlocked very much.

Although for a sequel, I'd like an exploration/trade/sandbox mode where you just fly around etc... maybe with less scrap to not make progression too fast. Being chased only lasts so long and turning it off with mods is kinda cheating.
Would also like ground missions where you send your crew down to a planet to explore/whatever or where your job is to capture a giant enemy warship (with several floors, not just one).
I'd also like if there were more options to the energy management system. Maybe a battery cell consumable/upgrade that gives you 1 or so energy more for 60 seconds or so... and maybe the ability to supercharge your shields or weapons at the cost of shutting down another system (nearly) completely. I loved the energy and shield systems in those old space sims... freespace and some others, don't remember the names.

Those ideas are more or less what I want to see out of the game, but when you consider that this was a first installment made by 2 people and cost $5-10 then it's easy to forgive... and set your expectations higher for any sequel!

I sunk about 28 hours into the game, beating it a few times on easy and normal. Kind of annoyed that after all that time I only unlocked 2 new ships and my 3 alternate designs.

If I can give some quick advice for beating the game on normal though, play on easy to unlock the type-B layout of the Kestrel. This guy starts the game with 4 simple lasers, which through the first few sectors is usually good enough to wipe out the enemies weapon systems on the first volley. This let's you breeze through the beginning racking up money for upgrades rather than spending on ship repair and missile/drone stock, as well as stockpile missile/drone parts for the latter stages and/or final boss. It also makes for an easy upgrade path, as you wait to find a mark I/II laser or Hull breach 1, then with a single upgrade to weapons system + energy you can add +1/2 shots to your volley. The original Kestrel's design of 3 laser shots plus 1 missile isn't as effect because they take longer to fire, the timing's off, and missiles are a limited resource.

For a few tips to beating the last boss, I'll put in spoilers:

That's more or less what got me through it.

Now back to the frustration element, was the biggest source of frustration for anyone else how the auto-fire option doesn't turn back on when you save and quit? A couple times I was having a solid game, saved it and came back later, but got crippled in a fight because while multitasking my crew I didn't immediately notice my weapons stopped firing because you always have to turn that damn option back on.

Also, is it ever a good idea to send in assistance against giant spiders? There's one ship upgrade/part that gives you a blue option, but I've only ever lost crew members on this event. Same thing with bringing the crazy guy back to your ship.
[/spoiler]

uchytjes:
Everything else can be destroyed completely and the medbay is the key to defense.

Medbay is the second key to beating intruders, really. You still need to maintain the shield and weaponry section of your ship in order to beat the enemy ship, all the while battling intruders. Maxing doors is slightly more important than medbay, because suffocating the enemy, while they're unable to get through your ship efficiently, makes it much easier to beat them when they finally do get through. If you're clever, you can route them to the medbay and beat them easily after they're near-death due to lack of oxygen.

Last boss is a pain in the ass if you're unprepared, but having your own cloak and some guys to infiltrate the ship is a life saver. The weapon sections are completely cut off from the rest of the ship, meaning that you can transport your characters to those sections at any time, overpower the single human enemy there and break its weapons one by one, all the while spamming cloak and keeping your shields up (augmentations help). Disabling rockets first is key, as those go through shields.

Of course, having a good ship really helps. I had a Noether (zoltan B) with cloak and pre-igniter, which is pretty goddamn deadly if you can find a good weapon such as the burst II for it (of which I found two). Most ships never made it through my defenses.

RandV80:

Now back to the frustration element, was the biggest source of frustration for anyone else how the auto-fire option doesn't turn back on when you save and quit? A couple times I was having a solid game, saved it and came back later, but got crippled in a fight because while multitasking my crew I didn't immediately notice my weapons stopped firing because you always have to turn that damn option back on.

Also, is it ever a good idea to send in assistance against giant spiders? There's one ship upgrade/part that gives you a blue option, but I've only ever lost crew members on this event. Same thing with bringing the crazy guy back to your ship.

Yeah, that was a bit annoying, but I did have a Zoltan B, so at most I'd only lose one or two bars of my extra 5-bar shield, so it was never a problem. I eventually learned to check my weapons every time before battle.

Medbay upgrades do sometimes give you a blue option and you should always use it when available. If they're asking for help against giant spiders and you have no blue option available, NEVER try to help. You should only provide assistance against spiders if you do have a blue option available, because otherwise you're practically just throwing a team member away. Crazy guys, when used the blue option, always become peaceful and join my team. It is really recommended to upgrade your medbay to at least lvl 2 asap. Same with blast doors.

Steam says I have played around 40 hours of ftl. I haven only beat the boss 2 times, both on easy. I can usually get through stage 1, but after that I pray I have all the right upgrades for my ship. I do love this game though.

erttheking:

Which you don't have when you are near a star going supernova...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here