No Right Answer: Best Tom Hanks Movie Ever

Pages PREV 1 2

I haven't seen all of his films, but I consider Saving Private Ryan one of the greatest ever so I would pick that.

scrivello:
Joe Versus The Volcano. End of thread.

You know it isn't as clear cut as you think, because well, Bachelor Party.

"What did you say Stanley? What did you say?"

Still...Joe Versus the Volcano is the only time Eric Burdon's version of Sixteen Tonnes has ever sounded good. Plus a great cast, Dan Hedaya, Ossie Davis, Lloyd Bridges and Abe Vigoda...magnificent, it's just a shame it has Tom hanks in it.

Out of the two they picked, I would go for Apollo 13 because I was a space geek when I was a kid so I watched it about as often as I watched the original Star Wars Trilogy (aka a lot).

With Forest Gump, there was always something...wrong about it. I know it was the story a mentally handicapped individual who went through life like many did in the '60s, except it felt so belittling to Forest as a character. Throughout the whole movie I felt like the director wanted us to sit and watch the troubled individual, who went through so much, and point our fingers at the screen. I can't explain it well, I only know that the movie never settled well with me.

Saving Private Ryan, while good, got shadowed for me by The Thin Red Line, which, imho, was so much better than the regular Hollywood WWII film they made with the former. Green Mile was another excellent film yet I think his best, for me, will be Philadelphia.

There, end of thread.

I only like him as a comedian. Don't care for anything he did after 1993.

I'm not overly fond of Tom Hanks (a lot of that has to do with me hating Forest Gump with a passion) but he has been in quite a few good films here and there though discounting the Toy Story films I'd say my favourite would have to be Road to Perdition and probably where he gave his best performance as well.

Kenjitsuka:
I'd have gone with Catch me if you Can, but I just hate Hanks and have hardly seen anything with him in it.

Yeah... I cant stand tom hanks... hes a horribly generic typecasted nice guy. And has never done anything decent to show any acting muscle.. Even in Philadelphia which was his moment to do something different, he never moves away from all things expectable.

-IF- I had to pick.. I guess I'd go with the ladykillers (Forrest Gump is a sappy bundle of everything without the slightest focus, and Apollo 13 is just bad).. but that's solely because the Coen brothers can make even the lamest actors perform admirably.

But it's still not great.

Dan seems strangely mellow in this episode.

Anyone remember Bachelor Party? It's kinda cool how Hanks' character in that is a real perv but also just a really cool guy.

When people talk about Hanks' movies, Road to Perdition doesn't seem to come up that often. I've always thought it's one of his most unique roles, namely how he's playing a mafia hitman, which just feels so alien to his public persona.

Sleepless in Seattle. Horny sleepless dude looking for love. After that he just got too serious.

Rogue 09:
Ugh... Couldn't even finish this video, the arguments were so poorly formed. Do you people have any sense of professionalism at all? It's like you pick a random topic, film two minutes talking about it without even thinking through your points, and edit it with pictures with dialogue that doesn't even resemble witty. You have this really unique opportunity, please stop taking a dump all over it.

We film more episodes at the end of the month, at which point I promise to be more professional and not to take any more dumps on this unique opportunity.

May I ask for suggestions? What would you have liked to have seen more of? Was it a frustration with the debate topics, or a lack of energy, or just that we rub you the wrong way? I'm genuinely curious.

Rogue 09:
Ugh... Couldn't even finish this video, the arguments were so poorly formed. Do you people have any sense of professionalism at all? It's like you pick a random topic, film two minutes talking about it without even thinking through your points, and edit it with pictures with dialogue that doesn't even resemble witty. You have this really unique opportunity, please stop taking a dump all over it.

That is how I feel about this show in general. It really is a horrible feature, and I wish they would stop. I usually only watch until the frame with the two choices, then close tab.

No mention of Big, at all? Seriously!?

This is the first of these that is pointless in my eyes.

How are you both so very, VERY wrong? It's obviously 'Toy Story' you cads!

scrivello:
Joe Versus The Volcano. End of thread.

Agreed =]

No matter how well anyone will defend Forrest Gump, my view of it has been poisoned by my secondary school (yes, all of them) laughing at it because Forrest was retarded; and it was played as many times as was allowed.
Haven't seen Apollo 13, so can't comment.

I barely recognise Tom Hanks as an actor, maybe he's got a blank face?
Dan's reaction shot was coupled with a spot-on edit, well done.

Cast Away had to have been his best work... he was the only actor in it for the whole movie!

I mean who else could have turned a ball into someone you cared about at the end? lol

Chris Pranger:

Rogue 09:

We film more episodes at the end of the month, at which point I promise to be more professional and not to take any more dumps on this unique opportunity.

May I ask for suggestions? What would you have liked to have seen more of? Was it a frustration with the debate topics, or a lack of energy, or just that we rub you the wrong way? I'm genuinely curious.

There is no problem with the debate topics, lack of energy, or any rubbing that you do. The problem is that you kids don't seem to research your positions and come up with talking points prior to the debate. It seems like a last minute affair where you try to come up with things to support your position as you go along.

This makes for a sloppy and boring debate. If you guys would actually try to come up with reasonable arguments for your side and weren't slurring your way through half the video, it would have the prospect of being entertaining. That's just one man's opinion. Thank you for responding and listening to criticism, that is definitely a strong point with your group.

Rogue 09:

Chris Pranger:

Rogue 09:

There is no problem with the debate topics, lack of energy, or any rubbing that you do. The problem is that you kids don't seem to research your positions and come up with talking points prior to the debate. It seems like a last minute affair where you try to come up with things to support your position as you go along.

This makes for a sloppy and boring debate. If you guys would actually try to come up with reasonable arguments for your side and weren't slurring your way through half the video, it would have the prospect of being entertaining. That's just one man's opinion. Thank you for responding and listening to criticism, that is definitely a strong point with your group.

The hard part is that much of the format is based on improv. The three of us will sit down either the night before filming or typically the day of and come up with a list of about 10 episodes, most of which we'll film in a single day (I live in Seattle and Dan and Kyle live in Portland, so the 4-hour time difference demands bulk film shoots).

From there we rely on our pre-existing knowledge of the topic and at times our own fanboyish to fuel our arguments as honestly as we can as our shtick is meant to be different forms of Internet commenters with Kyle being the TL;DR fueling sort, me being the blind ranter of "facts" as I see them, and Dan being something more like the hopeful optimist in the sea of overwhelming anger.

With this format, it makes pre-scripted debates more difficult as the goal is to be more a jumping off point for the greater debate within comments rather than a definitive conclusion, as if we really did sit down and start talking about a geek topic without a clearly-defined objective beyond proving our friends incorrect. Some people like this style and we like them for it. Others don't, and we like them as well but probably not as much as the people who like us. But we always aim to make a good product within our means, even if it strikes out with viewers every now and then.

Apollo 13 isn't even Hanks' second best movie. Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan are vastly, VASTLY better than Apollo 13.

Chris Pranger:

Rogue 09:

Chris Pranger:

The hard part is that much of the format is based on improv. The three of us will sit down either the night before filming or typically the day of and come up with a list of about 10 episodes, most of which we'll film in a single day (I live in Seattle and Dan and Kyle live in Portland, so the 4-hour time difference demands bulk film shoots).

From there we rely on our pre-existing knowledge of the topic and at times our own fanboyish to fuel our arguments as honestly as we can as our shtick is meant to be different forms of Internet commenters with Kyle being the TL;DR fueling sort, me being the blind ranter of "facts" as I see them, and Dan being something more like the hopeful optimist in the sea of overwhelming anger.

With this format, it makes pre-scripted debates more difficult as the goal is to be more a jumping off point for the greater debate within comments rather than a definitive conclusion, as if we really did sit down and start talking about a geek topic without a clearly-defined objective beyond proving our friends incorrect. Some people like this style and we like them for it. Others don't, and we like them as well but probably not as much as the people who like us. But we always aim to make a good product within our means, even if it strikes out with viewers every now and then.

Eek... I didn't realize you guys live in my area, now I'll have to peek over my shoulder shopping to make sure I don't run afoul of you. Please forgive me!

On a serious note, you might try restructuring your prep so that you guys are able to better counter one another's arguments. Electronically setup topics, have each person pick a side without knowing what the others have chosen (or make one person a ref who gets the sides so there are no duplicates) and then bone up (snicker) on whatever topic you've got.

Once you have a fresh perspective and knowledge about what you're defending, you can callously attack the other persons position while keeping up a strong defense and make for a more entertaining product. I love the idea of a debate show, but the improv nature is keeping it from really shining.

While it saddens me that I am in the category of "less well liked" (though I no doubt deserve it), I have to say that I am really very thankful that you've responded in such an open and professional manner. It will cause me to continue to watch your videos, and I shall keep any future attacks to limited and non-repetitive positivish comments in the future.

1. Forrest Gump
2. Castaway
3. Da Vinci Code
4. Green Mile
5. Terminal
6. Road to Perdition
7. Saving Private Ryan

Almost all Tom Hanks movies are great.... He did inspiring movies......

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here