Escape to the Movies: Broken City

Pages PREV 1 2

No, not Gremlins, please no! NO!

vxicepickxv:

SadakoMoose:
Forget the Gremlins reboot, who the hell wanted another version of Taming of the Shrew?

A producer who said I don't want writers or to pay for a script.

Of course, those are some pretty big shoes to fill.

Well yeah, but I mean of all the Shakespeare plays, why Shrew? Aside from arguably popularizing the formula used by ever creepy misogynist rom-com ever, it's probably one of Shakespeare's least valuable plays. Hamlet, when re-purposed to appeal to a modern audience no problem. Shrew's history is just too problematic. You can't adapt Shrew without dredging up it's difficult and uncomfortable history. One time, I saw a performance of Shrew wherein they kept the dialogue almost exactly the same, but modernized the costumes and setting. It was worse than any Jennifer Aniston vehicle you could possibly imagine.

I'd prefer a sequel to gremlins over a reboot, and even then I wouldnt want that.

Pyrian:
Whoa. That's a lot of Hathaway side-boob. 8)

You apparently need to see that Jake Gyllenhaal Anne Hathaway movie "Love and other Drugs." You see a lot more.

I've never been a fan of Taming of the Shrew. I also don't like Romeo and Juliet yet call myself an otherwise "fan" of Shakespeare. I guess I'm just a bit odd.

That being said, I guess I don't get why you would "giggle" at Hathaway being in TotS. Is it because she used to be "innocent" in a lot of her earlier films? Or that she just doesn't fit the character of Kate?

Wait is that James Ransone I saw for the briefest of moments then? I like his work, I might try and check this one out.

I would totally watch a reboot of Gremlins if Dante did it. Yes I would. Third best Christmas movie, right after Die Hard and A Muppet Christmas Carol, and above Bad Santa and the original Miracle on 34th Street.

RTR:
Someone's gonna have to explain the Hathaway joke to me

Shakespeare's wife (I'm assuming you know it was Shakespeare who write Taming of the Shrew, right? Escapist peeps are generally pretty savvy about that sort of thing but you never can tell, so I apologise if I have besmirched your intelligence) was also called Anne Hathaway. So you have someone with the same name as Shakey's wife starring in an adaption of a Shakey play. Ho ho ho the hilarity

Got to see "The Last Stand" and movie Bob is right. It was fun enough. Nice, relatively A grade production values kind of grade B action movie. But I just read it and Broken City are both tanking at the box office likely for the same reason: we can get these sort of things on TV in our nice comfortable homes.

YAWN!

I wish Yahtzee did movie reviews. Then we wouldn't even need this 'movie bob'.

Gremlins reboot?

To quote the ever-relevant Will Smith, aw HELL naw.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54301)