Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Five days. Five of 2012's best games.

Read Full Article

You may now disagree.

i disagree for the sole purpose of disagreeing to something!

now i have to play tomas was alone...

also:

Honorable Mentions:
The War Z

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

edit:

yes that game exists. and its not attacking any goverment funded anti alien organisation.

http://www.thomaswasalone.com/

you people are just too mainsteam.

now i just need to claim that i have anectodal evidence on Grey and Cory corrupcy, financed by the shadowy and evil indie industries..

You always love making edgy choices, and you have a nack for dragging out your point.

Grey Carter:

Read Full Article

Wait, so you didn't cry or tear up at "To The Moon"? You people really are heartless banshies! (j/k)

I have no idea what I'm missing...and can't tell if this is a clever troll to get me to try some obscure indy game or just an outright troll. Either way, I'm thoroughly confused here.

I'd probably be likely to disagree with the honourable mentions, 'cause I'm not sure how Skullgirls got there.
Sure it's a indie good game, also being the fighting game I've enjoyed playing the most, but that Final Boss doesn't feel like it was designed right; Bosses should be an equal challenge for every and all characters you can play, but as it stands some characters have it as a cake walk (like Peacock) and for others it can a nightmare due to limitations (Cerebella can't use throws against her, has no ranged attack, and her lvl 3 'blockbuster' does equal to chip damage when it should hit like a truck).

Huh. All I could think of while looking over that comic was...

"Dude. It was a sucky year to be a black guy in videogames."

Okay, knowing how this webcomic typically is, so is Thomas was Alone really like that?

SOMEBODY'S, SOMEBODY'S LITTLE GIRL!
DREEEEEEEAMS OF THE THINGS SHE'S READ;
OF THE MONSTERS IN HER BED! WHO HAAAAAACKED HERRRRRRRRRRRRR!

...What? 'Interprets the law as aging with its eyesight failing' is a lyric from the Dissentience, and I lurv me some Protest the Hero. Canadian prog metal is surprisingly well-rounded.

It's a good song, okay?

OT: I enjoyed these comics. I don't know why, but the prominent swirl pattern that served as the thumbprint made me chuckle every time I saw it. I'll admit, though, I've never heard of this Thomas Was Alone game, so now I'll have to look into that.

I thought the list was pretty good, though I really don't agree with Mark of the Ninja. Maybe I was expecting too much because of all the praise it's getting, but as good a game as it was, I wouldn't have put it in my top 5 for the year. That's my only hang-up, though. The rest of the list was agreeable enough.

I have to say, the one part that made gave me feels in Borderlands 2 was

Also, I have to agree with this, excellent choice.

ShirowShirow:
Huh. All I could think of while looking over that comic was...

"Dude. It was a sucky year to be a black guy in videogames."

Yes.

OP: While I appreciate the irony in your honorable mentions, I am curious as to whether or not Skulgirls was a part of that irony, and why/why not.

I'm interested in the game, but there's no PC release yet.

And now this is the excuse I needed to play Thomas Was Alone.

Yay disagreeing!

Crusader Kings 2 should have at least received an honorable mention. Grand Strategy with excellent longevity, tons of role-playing options that make the game personal and a fully organic environment that changes as you play along in interesting ways.

A shame about the godawful tutorials making the game hard to actually figure out though. But oh so rewarding once you start to actually play.

Well your honorable mentions seem somehwat sarcastic for a few of the entries...

Mass Effect 3's excellent ending? Really? REALLY?
War Z? yeah yeah yeah.....riiiiiiiiight.....

you know spoiler warnings arent all that great if you don't know what game they are for...*sigh*

EDIT: and ME3 its probably the most emotional I'll EVER get over a piece of fiction...the good and bad parts

Bolt-206:
I'd probably be likely to disagree with the honourable mentions, 'cause I'm not sure how Skullgirls got there.

rhizhim:

Honorable Mentions:
The War Z

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I notice that "Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending" is also on the honourable mentions list. Which makes me suspect there may be a fair amount of joking going on.

shadowmagus:
I have no idea what I'm missing...and can't tell if this is a clever troll to get me to try some obscure indy game or just an outright troll. Either way, I'm thoroughly confused here.

maybe you should change "troll" with something that wont get you banned..

Don't Be a Jerk
This rule trumps any other. Any loophole you think you've found in any other rule is covered by this one. If you make our forums a less pleasant place to be, we don't want you here and we have no problem revoking your account. Here are a couple of the things you should stay away from:

°Flaming
Calling people names (or groups who may visit The Escapist), this includes calling others a troll

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

just sayin

MetalMagpie:

Bolt-206:

rhizhim:

Honorable Mentions:
The War Z

I notice that "Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending" is also on the honourable mentions list. Which makes me suspect there may be a fair amount of joking going on.

some things are not meant for joking.. /joking.

Vault101:
you know spoiler warnings arent all that great if you don't know what game they are for...*sigh*

EDIT: and ME3 its probably the most emotional I'll EVER get over a piece of fiction...the good and bad parts

Yeah, I mean... are we only meant to read on past the spoiler warning if we've played every game in the last year?

Also, I can't tell if "Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending" is a joke or not. Not that I think it should be or anything, I just can't tell if Grey is trying to say "FUCK YOU I LIKED IT!" or "FUCK YOU IT SUCKED!"

I really hope people take the "Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending" comment seriously. The rage will be delicious.

Vault101:

Ah you must be a Vulcan then or least Sheldon Cooper.

Yup, no Outlying Macaroni.
I guess not everyone's into LSD.

This was a pleasant surprise. I'm sick of TWD getting all the accolades, and Thomas Was Alone was more emotional and a better game than TWD. Well done Critical Miss!

I disagree about the ending. It rounded off the ideas about artificial intelligence and computers - that the game was constantly toying with - quite nicely.

Something tells me the honourable mentions are a lol.

I might pick up Thomas was Alone. I'm not a fan of platformers and for some reason I don't gel well with indie titles unless they're absolutely superb, but I will certainly give it a shot when I can. TB's WTF is... seemed to compliment it in ways that tick with me, and your blurb of it does the same thing but literately.

Pie.

Soooooo, is Thomas Was Alone basically 2012's Braid?

Either way, I think I'll give this one a miss. It's probably fun, but your description really puts me off due to the above comparison. The text sections in Braid were pretty hilarious to start with (especially reading them out loud to my boyfriend) but got tiresome really quickly. I enjoyed the actual game more once I stopped reading them.

WanderingFool:
Okay, knowing how this webcomic typically is, so is Thomas was Alone really like that?

It has a metascore of 77 (whatever that means to you) and appears to be a narrative-driven platformer. So yeah, this comic is probably not ironic.

Something no one else seems to be considering (as far as I can tell) is he may be talking about ME3's EXTENDED ending, which still has me tearing up every time I see it (finished it again a few days ago). Of course, for all I know he is speaking genuinely about the original version, or he is trolling.

Can't fault him in any case. Even the original ending had me choked up until I realized how excruciatingly short it was.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Grey Carter:

Read Full Article

Wait, so you didn't cry or tear up at "To The Moon"? You people really are heartless banshies! (j/k)

I never played Thomas Was Alone so I won't disagree with your assessment. But if you love games with a powerful and emotional narrative, I have to agree with El Capitano here and say that you would probably love To The Moon. It is light on gameplay but it tells an incredibly powerful story unlike anything I played this year.

So, I was going to disagree, and then I saw that X-Com EU got a honourable mention. Good enough for me.

...That was unexpected.

I would love to comment on how wrong/right this entry is, but I have yet to play Thomas Was Alone and thus have no opinion on it.

Trying not to judge Thomas Was Alone based solely on the description of the game, and a quick look at you YouTube walkthrough, because I just haven't played it. However, I know the Game Journalism Industry seems to have a real liking for indie games, at least for the past few months, but I'm starting to get annoyed by it. I'm glad to know of the games that release without the spectacle of AAA games, but, um, blocks?

May give it a try, may not. Agreed with your other suggestions but this one is a tad much.

And those honorable mentions? It is your own opinion, after all, so who am I to judge? I think this is why I hate awards of any kind. Just creates Drama.

What? I haven't even heard of this game.

Falsename:
I don't care what you did or didn't like... You write (bad) comics. Just focus on them, not your likes and dislikes because your opinion is as varied and opinionated as anyone. Are you a reviewer legitimately?

Sorry but these comics are pretty terrible. Wasn't there like a moment where some blonde guy was hanging the main character out a window or something then we just kind of.... moved on?

Retire, please.

As a journalist, I love hate mail like this. Shows that you dislike it to the point that you were willing to waste precious minutes typing up how much you dislike it. Feels good, ya know?

OT: Haven't played it, but I'm more of a game play than story person. Reason why I like FFX-2 and one of many excellent reasons FFXIII and its creators need to be purged from orbit.

Also

Rainboq:
I have to say, the one part that made gave me feels in Borderlands 2 was

Also, I have to agree with this, excellent choice.

I thought the whole sequence

WanderingFool:

Yeah, their description of that game is accurate. I personally found the gameplay very tedious and quit halfway through, but the narrative is pretty good. There's a demo online if you're interested.

Consdiering I have neither played, nor even seen any gameplay I really can't comment. I haven't even seen it on anyone elses top 5, though that's not really a criticism consdiering my own GoTY didn't make it either.

And that would be Crusader Kings 2. Each time I just start playing it and suddenly 4 hours have passed. o_o

I... I think I might have to hate you for all eternity on account of that second "myeeeh".

Bolt-206:
Sure it's a indie good game, also being the fighting game I've enjoyed playing the most, but that Final Boss doesn't feel like it was designed right; Bosses should be an equal challenge for every and all characters you can play, but as it stands some characters have it as a cake walk (like Peacock) and for others it can a nightmare due to limitations (Cerebella can't use throws against her, has no ranged attack, and her lvl 3 'blockbuster' does equal to chip damage when it should hit like a truck).

Playing Skullgirls for the single player is like playing Spec Ops: The Line for the multiplayer.

The real problem with Skullgirls is that it was unfinished by the commercial release. The new patch fixes that, though.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here