Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

You know what makes me feel like an idiot? I didn't see the big yellow and white bold-texted spoiler warning sign the first time I read the comic. I played all of those games, though, so I'm not upset.

Also, I quite enjoy your honorable mentions.

Oh wow, I really should have been able to call that. I played all the way through it in practically one sitting and loved it, although I agree with you on the fact that the third act feels a bit tacked on and superfluous.

MetalMagpie:
Soooooo, is Thomas Was Alone basically 2012's Braid?

I think Thomas Was Alone is better than Braid even, for the very reasons you describe. Thomas Was Alone tells a really neat little story with interesting techniques, and it never feels the need to stare up it's own arse like Braid did. The writing is far more tight and never gets anywhere close to the level of pointless ambiguousness that Braid had, which is added to by the pretty friendly narration that will make you feel nostalgic and fuzzy inside.

Grey Carter:
nothing released in 2012 (or 2011, or 2010, for that matter) comes close to matching Thomas Was Alone's narrative punch

Capitano Segnaposto:

Wait, so you didn't cry or tear up at "To The Moon"? You people really are heartless banshies! (j/k)

PhoxHound:
I never played Thomas Was Alone so I won't disagree with your assessment. But if you love games with a powerful and emotional narrative, I have to agree with El Capitano here and say that you would probably love To The Moon. It is light on gameplay but it tells an incredibly powerful story unlike anything I played this year.

I actually came in here to say To the Moon as well. Not ashamed to say I cried like a baby on finishing that game (well, pretty much for the entire last chapter) and still mist up on listening to the sound track.

Beautiful story underscored by beautiful music, game play is a little scarce as poster above said but the story...

I had just finished Walking Dead a day or two before To the Moon and that hadn't even caused a slight tear but when finishing To the Moon? Those weren't even manly tears I was shedding.

I can't say much about it without spoiling it so I'll link a trailer:

You might look at that and think "Oh, it's clearly going to play off the fact he's dying to get the audience to empathise" but nope, that's not how it goes down.

Edit: Whoops, forgot my On topic.

Ot: I loved these five comics and have to say that the handwork necessary to get these written and drawn for a 5 day period? Totally worth it.

I recognise that shot of Thomas was Alone, I did that sequence in exactly the same way*.

*excuse me I think I have something in my eye.

Honorable mention list:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Skullgirls
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Primordia
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Spelunky
Gravity Rush
Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending
The War Z

Not sure how much of this is a joke and how much is real...because xcom is there but so is The War Z and ME 3.

I haven't played To the Moon but I'm always fairly wary of games/movies/albums that everyone proclaims is so good and emotional and tearjerking. It says to me "this game is less subtle than a Japanese eroge." Not saying that's what the game is, just saying I'm hesitant and/or unlikely to buy it so long as people proclaim it to be so sad and "touching."

What was the third myeh game?

Grey Carter:
The War Z

Heheheh, oh Grey, you so funneh!

Borderlands 2 did give me a few sharpe digs in the feels, really surprised me. Those echo recordings of Tina's parents... shit got real.

Nice to see Analogue A hate Story getting mentioned.

Scorched_Cascade:
snip

Laura Shigihara man... the sheer range of dem feels... happiness, sadness, nostagia, hope, pure animal lust! Shes amazing at what she does.

Oh boy, first Jim with 'Last Survivor' and now this. I'm going to have to go out and find whoever's vending this (hopefully steam) and play it to see what the fuss is about. I had taken note of it before, but I don't like platforming or minimalist graphics, so I passed. It is painfully obvious however that mainstream games are not at the point to really make me care. It irks me when the 17-thousandth 'Which games made you cry' is dominated by

and try as I might I could hardly muster a moistening of the eyes at that scene.

No game has ever made me cry. I don't think I'm alone in this either, I don't believe gamers are a bunch of hardened people.

I do not however agree that 2 'games' which are essentially visual novels are top-ranking tear-jerkers. If you're going to laud their achievements why don't we just go right ahead and start reading The Color Purple or any other literary work from the past century.

Ideally I'd like to have a choice in the matter, as was a major complaint in a slightly different vector for Spec Ops. Simply having something out of your control happen is akin to crying at pictures of stray cats in Afghanistan.

jehk:

I love that game. It did almost make me puke though >.<

D Moness:

jehk:

I love that game. It did almost make me puke though >.<

I guess that's a good thing?

jehk:

I guess that's a good thing?

It means for me it is written so that i can visualize it.
So for me it is a good thing :)

So, is this a spoiler for Mass Effect 3 or the Walking Dead?

Someone's baiting the trolls.

Huh, no Hotline Miami. Kinda surprised. Mostly due to how everyone else falls all over it.

Thomas was Alone was good, but it wasn't game of the year good. It fools you by being pretentious and out of the ordinary, but when it comes right down to it the story and characters are actually pretty shallow, and everything else was pretty generic. Certainly great by indie standards, but really nothing all that special overall.

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:
Thomas was Alone was good, but it wasn't game of the year good. It fools you by being pretentious and out of the ordinary, but when it comes right down to it the story and characters are actually pretty shallow, and everything else was pretty generic. Certainly great by indie standards, but really nothing all that special overall.

P.S. Thanks

What was pretentious about it? I liked it because it wasn't pretentious, it just told an interesting story in a nice way and then left it at that. It didn't have a really ridiculous and weird epilogue like Braid, and it didn't leave an ambiguous ending like Limbo just for the sake of it.

Captcha: cup cake. So sweet and tastey.

"Myeh"? Don't you mean "meh"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGuSeidtew

Interesting choice, I enjoyed Thomas Was Alone, I never though I could care so much about coloured blocks.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Grey Carter:
Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

Five days. Five of 2012's best games.

Read Full Article

Wait, so you didn't cry or tear up at "To The Moon"? You people really are heartless banshies! (j/k)

If there is someone who didn't cry at To The Moon that is a person with no soul. Even I cried at that game and I've been said as having a swinging brick for a heart :P

War Z

Oh you guys.

*opened post*
*read the Spoiler warning in big text*
*figured it meant the Mass Effect 3 ending clearly visible right underneath it*
*scrolled down to see the punchline*
*got The Walking Dead spoiled*

*sad bunny*

If those honourable mentions are supposed to be a joke (and I hope so, just for the sake of The War Z) then I'm sad to see Dust: An Elysian Tail is also a part of the put-downs. I loved that game.

.. Wait.

You didn't feel anything when *The Walking Dead SPOILER* Clementine had to shoot Lee at the end of episode 5?
I'm not going to assume you're trolling because you listed Mass Effect 3 extended cut because some people do like that, but I find it very hard to believe you had no feels at all for her ending Lee's life after all of that.

People (or least a majority do) consider that the most emotional part of gaming history. It may not be the saddest thing to ever happen in everyone's eyes but I cried so much when the girl I helped survive that nerve-wrecking apocalypse had to shoot me especially after Lee (I) said, "I'll miss you.." I feel like crying again just remembering.

Though I didn't feel emotional when Roland died because he wasn't fleshed out to me.. but I did feel bad for Anderson when he bit the dust. A ping of sadness but sadly I never got to bond with him- however Clementine I totally love as a character and whom I respect greatly. Everyone in The Walking Dead I came to admire and really believe to be people for they're highly fleshed out.

.. .. So ... you saying meh to that sort of, well... offends me. Not like I am going to judge yah or anything, but you didn't feel anything? >_>

Myeeeeeeehhhh.

Sure, the narrative is interesting. But that's all the game really has going for it, unless you really dig puzzle-platformers.

I dunno, I guess I prefer a narrative punch to be delivered with as little obstruction from the gameplay as possible, if it's going to be delivered at all, and that's something puzzle games can't really capitalize on. It's part of the reason why while I liked Spec Ops: The Line, I'm not going to put it on any pedestals, because especially in the later sections the gameplay started actively detracting from the strength of the narrative.

The thorough snubbing of Journey makes me question my reality, though.

rhizhim:

Honorable Mentions:
The War Z

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Personally, I say "well played, Critical Miss!"

Admit it, you just put this one in the top slot so you could type the sentence "2012's most rounded game character was a rectangle" :P
I now feel obligated to play it due to your endorsement. I'd heard good things, but none this positive.
You guys wanna clarify how much of your Honorable Mentions we're supposed to take seriously?
Because you're on the record for a few of them, but I was wondering what your opinions are on Zero Escape (beyond "This shit is bananas!") and Skullgirls (one of my favorite fighters in a long time).

Sejborg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGuSeidtew

There was a time before the Simpsons where people actually had different ways of saying essentially the same thing.

It was a scary time when memes were much harder to spread and people didn't just post "this" to express their opinions.

Thomas was alone...never heard of it...also the list...is gray trolling us?

Zachary Amaranth:

rhizhim:

Honorable Mentions:
The War Z

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Personally, I say "well played, Critical Miss!"

let me rephrase that
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

Caramel Frappe:
.. Wait.

You didn't feel anything when *The Walking Dead SPOILER* Clementine had to shoot Lee at the end of episode 5?

first, spoilers, thank you very much.

second, shooting him was optional. he would only be still chained to the radiator.

Sejborg:

he is canadian.

rhizhim:

You may now disagree.

i disagree for the sole purpose of disagreeing to something!

ditto :P my first impression is "most heart-warming in-game romance was between a rectangle and a square" <--- myeeeeeeh, but I will try and play 'Thomas Was Alone' before further comments...

Well, Thomas Was Alone is in my Top 5 of 2012 (I played it on Jan 1. 2013 though, so it didn't make my list in time), so I agree. It was a too easy puzzle game, but a great, lovely experience. Very charming, and evoked a gamut of emotions I didn't expect. The soundtrack is spot on too; after hearing and watching the game on YouTube for about 30 seconds, I felt compelled to play it and bought it on Steam and played it immediately. I liked the prologue too, other than the random villan shoehorned in for no reason. The scene in the comic broke my heart for a good little bit of time :)

I am partial to puzzle platformers and British narrators though, so I'm biased. The integration of the narrator in this game made it for me, much like the narrator made Bastion for a lot of people.

Falsename:
I don't care what you did or didn't like... You write (bad) comics. Just focus on them, not your likes and dislikes because your opinion is as varied and opinionated as anyone. Are you a reviewer legitimately?

Yes.

Sorry but these comics are pretty terrible. Wasn't there like a moment where some blonde guy was hanging the main character out a window or something then we just kind of.... moved on?

Retire, please.

No.

your opinion is as varied and opinionated as anyone.

Really.

You all realise that To The Moon came out in 2011, right? I guess not. I liked it too but you can't put it in a list for 2012.

Can't fault the choice really, I don't play a heap of games but Thomas Was Alone is one of the few that have stuck with me, and I dislike puzzle platformers.

I have to agree. Got it over the Steam sale for $5. Felt ashamed that I skimped the developer out of another $5 because the game is just so pure.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here