Trailers: The Elder Scrolls Online - The Alliances Cinematic Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Elder Scrolls Online - The Alliances Cinematic Trailer

I don't know about you but none of the factions seem all that intent on peace.

Watch Video

not a single Argonian or Khajhit. Not that i could spot at least. What do we get? Humans and elves. No offence, but I see human and elves so often it doesn't stur anything in me seeing them as the only races that exist in fantasy. Tolkien get's a free ride because he helped to define the trope.

dragongit:
not a single Argonian or Khajhit. Not that i could spot at least. What do we get? Humans and elves. No offence, but I see human and elves so often it doesn't stur anything in me seeing them as the only races that exist in fantasy. Tolkien get's a free ride because he helped to define the trope.

I couldn't agree with you more, and if they HAD to stick with the old tropes they could have at least showed off the Dark Elves more, since they're the only interesting elven race (in my opinion at least).

This video was a mixture of real actors and digital effects, pulling off Khajhit and Argonians wouldn't have been that difficult since you can do anything you want now with enough computer animators and digital artists.
I mean, I think those things in the skull masks behind the High Elf at the end might have been Kahjit? Or maybe they were supposed too be.
If they wanted to showcase every race and the conflicts they face based on their faction alliances, I'd say they failed pretty hard as if I were just an ESO layman watching this video for the first time I'd have absolutely -no- idea who is on who's side.

I don't really see the point to cinematic trailers like this. Obviously the gameplay is going to be nothing like that. I'm very skeptical about this game, which is a pity because the other elder scroll games have all been pretty good so far.

The cinematic itself is awesome - I wish we could get a single player with such multi kill moves and climbing XD

"The armour, it does nothing to blades! how do we defend ourselves from such unstoppable weaponry!?"
oh wait.

sorry, pet peeve, but if your armour has no function in your own universe then why would you wear it?

There is an argonian, he's just very sneaky - 0:15 and 1:00.

SNEAKY DUDE WHAT ARE YOU DOING! If they see you, you don't get bonus damage!

Honestly, there wasn't much elder scrolls here. The argonian is there for like, 5 seconds. The whole cinematic just seems bland. It's like a bad action movie, it tells you nothing. Bethesda (and Zenimax online studios (bethesda's unconfortable corporate cousin)) I am dissapoint.

Mega_Manic:
SNEAKY DUDE WHAT ARE YOU DOING! If they see you, you don't get bonus damage!

Don't worry. It was Altair or Ezio who accidentally stumbled into the wrong Video Game cinematic.

But yeah. I think Warhammer Online had a better representation of PvP in a cinematic trailer. Even if it did randomly have some monster destroying the keep at the end of it (Magus Uber spell?)

Ugh. It would be hard to make it look more bland and uninteresting. Where are the unique races and cultures of Tamriel? Where are the fantastical locations? Where are the races other than Nondescript Man, Elf, and Nord? Where is the Elder Scrolls?

I like the elder scrolls series, I really do. The games are like a good book that you don't want to end, so I've been digesting Skyrim over the last year or so. That being said, I see no way that this will not be a steaming pile of dookie in the same vein as SW:TOR.

What the CRAP!

Elves in Elder Scrolls do NOT look like that. It's one of the more charming and unique aspects of the universe. Fuck you Zenimax.

very pretty trailer... that told me absolutely nothing and if you cut off the titles I could have thought it was for one of a million generic fantasy games

well that told me bugger all about why i should care about this game.

sure it looked good, and was even fun to watch, but it also didn't tell me anything about gameplay, who these people are or anything relatively important

Way I see it trailers are to games what covers are to books.

A game shouldn't be judged by it, not even if it's a gameplay trailer, and it's generally in the publisher's best interest to have one that catches the eye easily.

So I guess it's a pretty good trailer with that in mind, nothing special though.

Anyone but me who was annoyed at the fact that the elves had human eyes? Anyone? Have I just been spending too much time with Skyrim lately?

OT: If their goal was to tell a story, meh. Not very well done. If it was to make me go "WT---DID YOU SEE THAT?!" about thirty times in five minutes then, yeah, success.

Still, who's betting on a subscription fee for about a year after launch and then F2P witch an in-game store and all that jazz?

dragongit:

Agreed. I was really expecting some lizard and cat people. Aside from that though, the trailer almost makes me want to play the game...if it wasn't for it being an MMO. And I really dislike them. But watching the trailer reminded me of my thoughts for the trailers for Starcraft 2. Why don't Bethesda Softworks take a year or so and make an Elder Scrolls movie? That trailer was incredibly awesome.

Dimitriov:
What the CRAP!

Elves in Elder Scrolls do NOT look like that. It's one of the more charming and unique aspects of the universe. Fuck you Zenimax.

It wasn't quite so prominent until Skyrim though. Back in Oblivion, they looked a little more human-ish.

Souplex:

Dimitriov:
What the CRAP!

It wasn't quite so prominent until Skyrim though. Back in Oblivion, they looked a little more human-ish.

LIES! TREACHERY! DECEIT!

But seriously, it was Oblivion that was the aberration. In Morrowind, and even Daggerfall and Arena, they looked much more like they do in Skyrim than Oblivion.

Dimitriov:

Souplex:

Dimitriov:
What the CRAP!

LIES! TREACHERY! DECEIT!

But seriously, it was Oblivion that was the aberration. In Morrowind, and even Daggerfall and Arena, they looked much more like they do in Skyrim than Oblivion.

The Daggerfall elves look about as human-ish as the Oblivion ones, and the Morrowind elves look more human-ish than the Skyrim ones.
I guess they keep switching back and forth on how human they look, and since Skyrim went extreme with how alien elves look, Online has to go extreme with making them look human?

In terms of how excited i am for this. I already signed up for beta

Great a cinematic that, doubtless, has no bearing on the game play at all.

Ftaghn To You Too:
Ugh. It would be hard to make it look more bland and uninteresting. Where are the unique races and cultures of Tamriel? Where are the fantastical locations? Where are the races other than Nondescript Man, Elf, and Nord? Where is the Elder Scrolls?

Yeah what I've read about it pretty much said that too. It's standard Tolkien-esque fantasy world setting #1, with a few names you might recognise from Elder Scrolls games.

Wow, awesome trailer! But I get the feeling that we won't actually be doing things that cool in the game itself.

dragongit:

Are we afraid that the beast races aren't in the game? They most certainly are, sais so on the official site.

Spaggiari:

dragongit:

Are we afraid that the beast races aren't in the game? They most certainly are, sais so on the official site.

I know what it "sais" But this is their cinematic trailer, which is pure eye candy to potential buyers. And what do they showcase? Humans and Elves. My point is that someone could slap any Fantasy Title over this, and people probably couldn't tell the difference. Argonians and Khajhit help to define this particular series apart from others is my point. The uneducated and uninformed could easily mistake this as Lord of the Rings if not for the title "Elder Scrolls" stuck at the end.

This looks more like an Assassin's Creed trailer then an Elder Scrolls one. The flippy rogue/thief with throwing daggers takes up a good 2/3 of it.

Combustion Kevin:
"The armour, it does nothing to blades! how do we defend ourselves from such unstoppable weaponry!?"
oh wait.

sorry, pet peeve, but if your armour has no function in your own universe then why would you wear it?

I have to second that. Thrown daggers shouldn't go through armor.

That they passed up the opportunity to showcase Khajiiti battlecats completely rendering those walls useless makes me afraid the big kitties won't be in the game. I want the freight-train-sized Khajiit!

dragongit:

Spaggiari:

dragongit:

I know what it "sais" But this is their cinematic trailer, which is pure eye candy to potential buyers. And what do they showcase? Humans and Elves. My point is that someone could slap any Fantasy Title over this, and people probably couldn't tell the difference. Argonians and Khajhit help to define this particular series apart from others is my point. The uneducated and uninformed could easily mistake this as Lord of the Rings if not for the title "Elder Scrolls" stuck at the end.

Hmm, it's almost like they chose to exclude the beast races for some marketing purpose. I don't have a clue about the game's stats so I could be completely wrong here but I'm pretty sure most people played as a Nord in Skyrim. I'm assuming that the beast races are their least played so they chose to market their more popular race.

Don't get me wrong though, I have both a Kajiit and an Argonian in Skyrim.

Did the elf girl get eyebrow reduction surgery? Because I played elder scrolls games I know what elves look like, giant eyebrows with faces (barely) attached.

I think we're all missing the most important thing here...The Nord dude was clearly the best.

Those are some bitching beard-dreads.

(Also, signed up for the beta)

RedDeadFred:

Hmm, it's almost like they chose to exclude the beast races for some marketing purpose. I don't have a clue about the game's stats so I could be completely wrong here but I'm pretty sure most people played as a Nord in Skyrim. I'm assuming that the beast races are their least played so they chose to market their more popular race.

Don't get me wrong though, I have both a Kajiit and an Argonian in Skyrim.

It doesn't matter what the most popular race is, they did nothing in this cinematic to make it looks at all like the elder scrolls. If i watched the cinematic without reading the article i probably wouldn't be able to tell that it's an elder scrolls game. They could have done something. Maybe a few orcs in the imperial ranks (they are imperials right? the guys with the useless armor. I can't tell), a few best races scattered around here and there. It really looks like the developers are going for the most bland safe MMO ever to exist.

Watchin this cinematic was like watchin a Michael Bay movie. Cuts everywhere. Shitty as all hell lightin. Generic as fuck action scenes.

At least show some Khajit damnit, or an Argonian. Hell, I'd take a Breton just for some variation from the standard humans and elves or a Redguard so not everyone is white.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here