No Right Answer: Best Silent Protagonist Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best Silent Protagonist Ever

It's been said that less is more, and nothing proves that point more than a good silent protagonist.

Watch Video

Of the two, Gordon. He has no "well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess" hanging over his head.

Overall? Chell. Always Chell.

Crono from Chrono Trigger is the best imho.

Gordan "The Free Man". He literally saved someone's life. There's a song about it and everything.

Am I the only one who was slightly disappointed that they didn't try to mime the whole thing with subtitles?

KoDOmega:
Of the two, Gordon. He has no "well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess" hanging over his head.

And she's easily the hotest one :P

Edit:

I think this episode's pre-title card intro is one of my favorites.

I think the best argument against Gordon Freeman that Kyle made was that there is some level of useful knowledge he would be able to share if he could talk that would benefit everyone. Though I don't think "what would Link even say" is exactly a point is his favor either.

Though the real answer is obviously Crono.

Very good episode. Because you guys had fun, I had fun watching you.

Also; yay, Link won!

I also have to say Link. Why? Because Gordon doesn't develop, as a character. On the other hand, Link has to grow into an adult througout Majora's Mask.

DVS BSTrD:
Am I the only one who was slightly disappointed that they didn't try to mime the whole thing with subtitles?

KoDOmega:

And she's easily the hotest one :P

Edit:

It's from the 90's cartoon.

Kyle convinced me. Gordon's world is to real and his character is to real. Something should have happened to him and he should have been able to talk to all the scientists around him. It's not bad, it's just a little weird. And if you think too hard about it, it makes him seem ridiculously unproactive, mutely blindly stumbling the paths that others left whilst they all yell praise at him and he stands there confused with his blood splattered face unable to communicate to the world the helplessness of his position.

Link is some young kid in a nintendo game.

If we can still call Link a silent protagonist after Zelda 2 and the cartoon, surely we can forgive Samus from Other M.

So, I'd say Samus is better that Freeman and Link.

Absolutely nobody. Because a silent protagonist has no character beyond what they player gives them (which is on par with fanfiction most of the time anyway)

All I can say is that Corvo of Dishonoured should NOT have been a silent protagonist.

He was the freaking Lord Protector, bodyguard to the empress - possibly her baby daddy - and apparently more of a secret agent than the freaking spymaster (that's right, the best agent of the crown AND assassin of the crown is NOT employed by the SPYMASTER). This guy was -somebody- freaking important before the Outsider showed an interest, not nobody like Gordon Freeman.

Of the two? Link, easily. Gordon is the worst sort of silent protagonist. Silent Protagonists exist to allow the player to essentially become the character and embue them with their own characteristics. It's basically you assuming that role. With Gordon, however, he already has a predefined role, a predefined personality, predefined relationships with the rest of the cast, and even a very calculated predefined appearance that stares back at you from the front of the game box. Making him silent just basically makes him mute, not a proper silent protagonist.

I'm going to have to go with Alcatraz from Crysis 2. It's heavily implied that the reason he doesn't speak is that he CAN'T

i can't stand silent protagonist's anyway. both Gordan and Link suck as characters because they aren't characters. they have as much personality as a rock.

i'm okay with playing as a character and feeling like them but in that case, i really do think it's best to allow you to name the character or not bother with the name at all and have the supporting cast not really speak a name when talking towards you. this was done in Final Fantasy X quite well. To be honest it's not all that unnatural either, i rarely speak anyone's name when talking to them, nor do most people speak my name.

if a game has a silent protagonists it would make more sense to give the player some customization if they are to fill in the blanks of this silent character. Otherwise all characters should have dialogue and personality. that just makes sense when your trying to write a good story right?

Link, Chell, Gordon Freeman, The Lone Wanderer, The Courier ... silent protagonists star in almost all of my favorite games!

And the de-fanged head-crab was named Lamarr. As in: HEDY LAMARR. It's a science joke. (Look it up!)

Gordon Freeman as a good silent Protaganist is undermined by the first person perspective, because you can not see the character emote the way you see link do in various games

the7ofswords:
Link, Chell, Gordon Freeman, The Lone Wanderer, The Courier ... silent protagonists star in almost all of my favorite games!

And the de-fanged head-crab was named Lamarr. As in: HEDY LAMARR. It's a science joke. (Look it up!)

Insert Blazing Saddles reference?

Clearly the greatest silent protagonist is the neon-green haired gunman of the capital wastes: Killmonkey.

Also, Dark Cloud guy.

Thats right, he has a poncho.

Well it certainly wasn't the Grey Warden or either of the first 2 Fable protagonists. Damn, some of those scenes were creepy without speech!

I don't mind a silent protagonist so long as there's a reasonable explanation for it. In a game like Dragon Age where you have people talking at you all the time, it just feels weird not to respond in an audible manner. People may hate on Bioshock 2 but at least Subject Delta had a reason to be silent.

Red/Blue from Pokemon? Not a word spoken, and can um.. catch Pokemon!

Bhaalspawn:
Absolutely nobody. Because a silent protagonist has no character beyond what they player gives them (which is on par with fanfiction most of the time anyway)

I'm guessing you're not a fan of RPGs or fanfiction. Personally I find that if I add a voice, sometimes out-loud and other times not, to a silent protagonist I get more invested in the story than those that are voiced. Of course, it depends on the game. But my character in Skyrim being voiced? Never.

OT: Between the two, I'd have to say Link as well. Other than that many protagonists from RPGs also work well, like your character from Dragon Age: Origins or Fallout 3.

Aptspire:
I also have to say Link. Why? Because Gordon doesn't develop, as a character. On the other hand, Link has to grow into an adult througout Majora's Mask.

He grows from a scientist so awkward he can't even use a microwave properly into an intergalactic mercenary and hope and savior of humanity.

That's quite a bit of development if you ask me.

Marik Bentusi:

Aptspire:

He grows from a scientist so awkward he can't even use a microwave properly into an intergalactic mercenary and hope and savior of humanity.

That's quite a bit of development if you ask me.

The one Free Man.

Well, when it comes to Best SILENT Protagonist, Gordon wins. Link just can't speak in any language.

I feel like I'm the only one who noticed...

I really don't like Gordon Freeman, and get a bit annoyed when people call him one of the best videogame characters of all time. I don't consider silent protagonist to be much of a 'character' since they don't normally get much characterization. You get people saying stuff about them from time to time to understand backstory of course. But you never learn anything about them as a person because... well, they aren't people. They're mindless drones that we're meant to project onto. Most of the time I do think they'd be better if they actually had characterization to add to the story (as long as it's done well of course).

Now when it comes to which of the two make a better silent protagonist, I'm not sure. One of the main problems with Link as a choice is that there isn't just one of him. There are so many different versions. At the same time, it did seem like there was a lot of situations where Gordon could have just said something to someone to stop them from being stupid. By instinct I'd go with Link, but I'm willing to admit that's likely due to outside bias. Though reading another comment, there's a good point on first-person prospective hurting silent protagonist since you don't get any of the emotion the character is feeling.

Of course, my real choice would be Chell. She's one of the few characters that really feels like she wouldn't ever have anything to say anyways. At least in the first game that is. She's stuck in a bunch of test chambers, alone, and is being taunted over the intercom by some nutjob. Realistically saying something wouldn't make any difference or have any effect in this case. Even when she does get to the end, there's not much to say to GLaDOS. She's not a very good character by any means. But she is the best example of a game where the silent protagonist makes the most sense.

screw Gordon Freeman :P just taking the amount of Half Life games vs Zelda games, Link is clearly the best silent protagonist ever ;)

I'd say Link because he actually shows emotion, so at least he has a little personality, and it is implied that he's saying something occasionally. Besides, the games wouldn't be improved in any way by Link having a voice; there were times when it would've been much better if Gordon could speak.

But link talks a bit in Skyward Sword, how else could you give answers to questions etc.

Oh, come on. Link's not a silent protagonist. He goes "Yah! Yah! Hyah! Hyeh!" constantly.

Bhaalspawn:

deathzero021:
i can't stand silent protagonist's anyway. both Gordan and Link suck as characters because they aren't characters. they have as much personality as a rock.

If the existence of a voice is what defines a person, that means people who are mute somehow have "less character" and personality due to the lack of a voice.

That's ridiculous. I still don't have any idea why people claim that a silent protagonist is devoid of personality, emotion, or character. Link, in many of the games I've played, expresses more emotion and personality than 99% of other video game protagonists (especially in Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess).

The phrase "actions speak louder than words" is very true, and it is ESPECIALLY true in video games, which is a medium DEFINED by player-action. What a player, and by extension the characters within it, do defines them. It's why the ACTIONS of Wander in Shadow of the Colossus are so powerful, why the ACTIONS of Jack in Bioshock resonate so well with the story, why the ACTIONS of Commander Shepard defined them rather than their gender or voice.

It's the reason Samus in Other M is so badly portrayed since her ACTIONS in that game do not reflect her ACTIONS in prior Metroid games. It's the reason Cloud in Advent Children is less interesting because, despite having an actual voice, his ACTIONS do not match those of his original game. It's the reason Chell in Portal can be an honestly interesting character defined by her intellect, resourcefulness, and unyielding endurance rather than appearance or her voice.

Actions will forever speak louder than words, and many silent protagonists (not all, but many) display a wide range of emotions and character-defining actions within their stories and game universes.

Good job on the background, guys. Fallout 3, Bioshock, sending a subliminal message?
I don't get the need for silent protagonists in such story-driven games. You would think the other residents of Hyrule would ask Link why he doesn't say anything back to them in their "conversations". And Gordon doesn't have to be the guy who hangs a lampshade on what's going on around him, but talking would have helped him connect with the other characters on his side. Although whenever I play a Half-Life game, I fill in gordon's side of the conversation and it amazingly fits. Something I don't get from Link.

search_rip:
screw Gordon Freeman :P just taking the amount of Half Life games vs Zelda games, Link is clearly the best silent protagonist ever ;)

Quantity over quality, man. Quantity over quality.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here