Unskippable: Borderlands 2

Borderlands 2

Join Graham and Paul as they learn about vaults and the people who hunt them.

Watch Video

I couldn't help but notice that the narrator's accent is different than last time.

"Uh... Mr. Jack? I have a question: Why are we doing all this? I mean, this seems to be an offly large dedication of resources for... whatever it is we're doing... I mean, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just send someone to follow them and then kill them when they find what we're looking for/trying to protect?"

Pandora: full of poop. Paul, you should really become a travel agent.
Also, is it really hunting when the vault just sits there & waits for people?

I'll say this for Pandora, they have a great PR team! I mean, they hire little people as their dual-assault rifle-wielding gunzerkers!

The Gentleman:
"Uh... Mr. Jack? I have a question: Why are we doing all this? I mean, this seems to be an offly large dedication of resources for... whatever it is we're doing... I mean, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just send someone to follow them and then kill them when they find what we're looking for/trying to protect?"

You forgot to mention the part where Hyperion owns the respawning system that keeps bringing the Vault Hunters back to life when they die.

The Great JT:
I'll say this for Pandora, they have a great PR team! I mean, they hire little people as their dual-assault rifle-wielding gunzerkers!

They need all the good PR they can get, what with the high rate of STDs among the population.
Haven't you heard? Pandora is a total...

*puts on sunglasses*

... clap trap.

I loved the opening for Borderlands 2 but this is one the better commentaries I've heard from you guys.

But, let's recap:

Borderlands: Vault 1.0 (It had some issues)
Borderlands 2: Vault 2.0 (more social media! ...meh)
Borderlands 3: OTV (One True Vault)
Borderlands 4: Revenge of the Skags!

The Gentleman:

"Great idea! You know what, for suggesting such a great idea, I'll assign you to do it. And guess what, there's a new group of them coming in. So I'll just send you off to do that now. You better hurry, you have a train to catch!"

THANK YOU. I'm so sick of everyone talking about what a great villain Handsome Jack is when nothing he does makes any sense.

Also, I lost it at "Well, that's what gunzerking is".

This video actually highlights some of the main problems I have with the story of Borderlands 2.. which is really quite frustrating because it could have been fixed so easily.

1. Jack knows where a map to the "main" vault is. But it's guarded by nasties. So Jack invites Vault Hunters and steers them toward the map vault.

2. At the same time, he doesn't want too many vault hunters running around, as their kind of anarchic, so attempts to kill them, and records and broadcasts their adventures. This explanation could be handled through one additonal communications from Jack. "Hey Vault Hunter.. I bet you're wondering why I invited you here and then tried to kill ya? Turns out, there's a lotta people out there who'll pay good money to see turkeys like you smeared all over the place. So, do me a favor and make your death memorable, wouldja?" Also, attempting to kill them serves as "testing" to make sure they're strong enough to handle the maproom guardians so that he doesn't give that information out to just anyone. The "broadcasting" easily ties in with other parts of the story where you find Jack investigating the various vault hunters.

3. Vault hunters find "leaked" information from Jack as to where the Vault (actually the map room) is, and chase it down (probably into the caustic caverns as that gives them a reasont to exist beyond side missions). While down there, they also do something that disrupts Jacks' broadcasts of them (important for later). Jack's guys get in and beam the relevant maguffin out of the map room to decode it. This would requires a few additional guardian class monsters, and some additional mapping/object work and textures for the map thing. Also, a couple of extra messages from Jack congratulating the vault hunters for being so gullible and defeating the guardians for him so he could take the map to find the real vault.

I think that answers all the main plotholes that the Borderlands 2 story creates, and would have taken very little investment from the dev team and even the voice actors.. which is why it's a shame it wasn't done.

we still have DLC 4 to take care of.

i hope for the hyperion moon base and the return of jack and the the guy that died(not saying more else it would be spoilers).

coolbond:
we still have DLC 4 to take care of.

i hope for the hyperion moon base and the return of jack and the the guy that died(not saying more else it would be spoilers).

Kwil:
SNIP

Well, the largest plot hole is easy to explain.

WHY DIDN'T JACK JUST GO TO THE VAULT FROM THE START?

A: Key wasn't charged.

I bet hansome Jack is one of those rich guys who can build a replica of england underground only to destroy it. Why else would he decide to use expensive methods to kill vault hunters?

6th And Silver:
THANK YOU. I'm so sick of everyone talking about what a great villain Handsome Jack is when nothing he does makes any sense.

A cartoonish supervillain not making any sense in his actions? Thank God you warned me. That would totally ruin the immersion of a down to earth video game about insane guns, psychic powers, and scads and scads of unobtanium!

Zachary Amaranth:

6th And Silver:

A cartoonish supervillain not making any sense in his actions? Thank God you warned me. That would totally ruin the immersion of a down to earth video game about insane guns, psychic powers, and scads and scads of unobtanium!

Oh, I get the game's crazy tone. But judging from a lot of threads from a few months back (when the game had just been released) a lot of people on this site don't.

From today's video, I got 2 impressions:
1) Borderlands 1 had a dissapointing ending, probably with some BS "It's not the destination but the journey, Maaaaaaan!" message. My rebuttal to that is [GUNSHOT] "WHERE"S THE DAMN TREASURE?! If we're talking Vaults, I'll settle for a friggin' Piece of Eden by now."

2) Handsome Jack is very bad at his job. He makes the morons who ran Umbrella Corp. look like geniuses.

Next week: Assassin's Creed III?

captcha: It is different
Well, at least the characters are.

You know, I think you're being too harsh on this Jack fella. If you look at his billboard, the two missing pieces as perfectly symmetrical, so it's unlikely they were just missing; they were deliberately removed, maybe to give it an "edgier" feel. And as for his plan, well, if his guys had won, he just didn't set off the bomb, and wouldn't be out of a train. I appreciate someone who is willing to go all the way.

"Good PR, Bad strategy team"
-Handsome Jack summed up right there.
I mean, the guy builds an entire city in his honour, but continues to let the vault hunters use the Hyperion-owned New-U stations, effectively making them immortals...

I always love the double take Axton does after Zero drops into the train. Just a great detail.

"those raiders must be very bored"

Or, y'know, hungry.

Oh, and it was actually the turret guy that survived the initial crash...

And with regards to electric vs moar bullets, I think you'll find corrosive is the one that works best against hyperion bots.

Normally the guys are pretty funny, unfortunately, they're not quite as funny as anything that Handsome Jack says in game.

Now, back to Buttstallion and my mansion made of other, smaller mansions.

Borderlands 2.

It is to the original Borderlands as Diablo 3 is to the first two Diablo games. An inferior product that is only really good enough for the first play through.

6th And Silver:

Zachary Amaranth:

6th And Silver:

Oh, I get the game's crazy tone. But judging from a lot of threads from a few months back (when the game had just been released) a lot of people on this site don't.

People like him because he is charismatic, and has a lot more personality than all the villains in Borderlands 1 (except maybe General Knoxx)... not because he is particularly competent.

6th And Silver:

Okay that? That scares me a little.

...A lot.

...Someone please hold me.

hermes200:

6th And Silver:

Zachary Amaranth:

People like him because he is charismatic, and has a lot more personality than all the villains in Borderlands 1 (except maybe General Knoxx)... not because he is particularly competent.

I always wished Baron Flynt got a little more development in the first game. He was a normal-looking dude that somehow ended up as a badass bandit king.

I watch this cutscene on purpose a lot when I load up the game. I'll just turn it up and dance around my apartment, like it's a music video or something.

Nasrin:
I watch this cutscene on purpose a lot when I load up the game. I'll just turn it up and dance around my apartment, like it's a music video or something.

It is just an awesome song isn't it?

I can't decide whether I love this one (Short Change Hero) or Borderlands 1 (Ain't No Rest For The Wicked) more!

OT: As per usual, guys, quite enjoyed this one. The fact that there's awesome music in the background just makes it better.

That last quote basically sums up my opinion of gearbox with this game. Great PR poor execution.

Handsome Jack really did help make Borderlands 2 more playable :D

the description of tentacles and disappointment for the first vault really did sum up the first game for me haha

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here