Reel Physics: The Dark Knight - Truck Flip

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Dark Knight - Truck Flip

This week we learn just how powerful the Batman really is.

Watch Video

I don't even to watch this video to know that flipping a truck is possible. Why? Because in filming THEY ACTUALLY FLIPPED IT!

EDIT: Derp. I r dumb.

erttheking:
I don't even to watch this video to know that flipping a truck is possible. Why? Because in filming THEY ACTUALLY FLIPPED IT!

they mention that, and that they used a piston to flip it

erttheking:

Well, yes, with the help of a whopping great pole. :) The point of the video is, could it be flipped the way it's actually presented in the movie?

ok i don't believe i ever commented on that but really like the background music. and i really liked the cg model of the truck, it makes everything more scientific.

That truck managed to flip while it was still moving forward. It must have been using the suspension of disbelief.

This week is another viewer suggestion thrown out there for you guys. Thanks for watching... and for those of you who bail at the "end", be sure to stick around during the credits for the blooper reel. I have seen several people not even know they have been there every episode!

Thanks for supporting the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn:
This week is another viewer suggestion thrown out there for you guys. Thanks for watching and supporting the show... and for those of you who bail at the "end", be sure to stick around during the credits for the blooper reel. I have seen several people not even know they have been there every episode!

Thanks for watching and supporting the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Which is a shame because they're some of the best parts of the videos!

Under no circumstances should anyone watch the bloopers. They are funny, but in an embarrassingly awkward dorky way. Why can't I laugh without collapsing like a powered down robot?

Colby Dane

Oh man, I cannot stress enough how much I am enjoying this series. It might not be for everyone, but it's a great watch personally. You guys really seem to have a lot of fun and it translates to your audience really well. You take the math seriously but don't present it in a way to bore us all. I agree with the previous poster that the visual aids really help us less mathematically inclined understand whats up. The bloopers on every episode never get old and those Hoth puns were terribly great. Great fun and an enjoyable series I have even gotten my father into watching.

The beginning made me think of this xkcd.

That is really weird. I was telling my friend about this show a few days ago and the trolley car one from last week, then he brought this up, and then this was today's episode.

One thing I'm a big fan of with the series is how you find a very simple, elegant way to look at the stunts. Were I given the same problem you did here, I imagine I'd get bogged down in minutiae rather than just seeing if there's enough kinetic energy to convert to the new potential energy.
Would have liked to see at least a rough estimate of what force the stunt would put on the cables, just to see what kind of cables would be needed to withstand that (like, conventional steel cable or cutting-edge-science cable or magic super science cable.) But still a fun episode to watch.

Still loving the series. Though I find myself fully won over by the outtakes. Hilarious stuff.

Always a fun time watching this, but if it wasn't for the animations, I would get very lost.

el_kabong:
Still loving the series. Though I find myself fully won over by the outtakes. Hilarious stuff.

This and so this xD
The bloopers at the end ar hilarious and shows how it actually seems to be fun making these videos

As always, very nice vid even if I understood nill about the calculations

RobotDinosaur:

Would have liked to see at least a rough estimate of what force the stunt would put on the cables, just to see what kind of cables would be needed to withstand that (like, conventional steel cable or cutting-edge-science cable or magic super science cable.) But still a fun episode to watch.

Going from the numbers in the episode and some rough guesses from the video, each cable would need to be able to withstand a stress of 11000 GPa (1595000psi). This is a lot for conventional materials but several high-tech materials exist that should be able to handle it. So... they were Tungsten cables or something similar apparently wikilink

I am really (reelly)loving this new series. I shared it with my friend who is a high school physics teacher and he loved it. He can't wait to incorporate it into his class. Thanks!

Anakinnnn:
This week is another viewer suggestion thrown out there for you guys. Thanks for watching... and for those of you who bail at the "end", be sure to stick around during the credits for the blooper reel. I have seen several people not even know they have been there every episode!

Thanks for supporting the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

The bloopers are fantastic, they're funnier than most of the content on this website ;D
"That joke is cold" got me.

However I don't think this truckflip should be awarded the Real Physics, as you had to make quite a few assumptions (Truck able to withstand load, the trailer+rig being "one").

Not to pick nits, but I was cross-referencing the gesticulation with the equations and I never saw you account for the lift provided by the bird.

WTF = 4.687611... HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I didn't know you could quantify acronyms.

OT: I really like the show but I still think realistically (without help) I don't think that truck would have flipped the way it did in the movie. It might have enough energy but I still don't think it would work.

So it's possible to flip a truck like that without pistons provided the truck itself is made out of an entire piece of melded metal and the trailer is welded to the truck rather than attached like normal.

Kuredan:
*snip*

Guffe:
*snip*

Hopposai:
*snip*

el_kabong:
*snip*

RobotDinosaur:
*snip*

Mouse_Crouse:
*snip*

Irridium:
*snip*

teebeeohh:
*snip*

Thanks everyone for the insanely positive feedback we are getting on the show. It's been a blast to produce this series so far. Colby and I really are grateful for all of your kind words and we look forward to every Tuesday when the comments and support start pouring in.

The show is still a bit new of course so if you enjoy it, please share it whenever and wherever you can so other people can discover it too!

Thanks again for all of your support!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

The animations make your show even better; yay!
Have to agree with everyone, the outtakes are the best ;)

Anyway, keep it up. For science.
Speaking of that quote, this ep really reminded me of the Batman uses a hook to get around a corner episode of Mythbusters...
Turns out cables are NOT very strong in general when having to deal with moving cars.

Damn!! I guess I can no longer mock how stupid this scene looks. Damn you reel physics!

I enjoy this series a lot but I have to call you guys out about one bad habit that as a maths/science teacher I'm always having to explain to my students: inappropriately accurate values.

If you have chosen to estimate a number in your calculation, such as the 75km/h figure, you can't then turn that into a value in mi/h that's accurate to 6 significant figures. Similarly, you can't end up with a final answer that's quoted to the same degree of accuracy. The accuracy of your answer can never be higher than the accuracy of the numbers used in the calculation (and if those numbers themselves were estimates, you really should drop down by one significant figure). If you *do* use a pseudo-precise figure, it gives a misleading impression of the accuracy of the original measurement.

It's a bit like in news reports where they say something like 'The project cost $10m (6574663.27)'. Unless the project literally cost $10,000,000.00 to the cent, that value in pounds has got to be incorrect.

I really liked the cg model and graphics on this one, it really helped me understand what you guys were talking about.

Good episode guys, the show is turning out great! It is crazy just how much credit you gave this one, but I guess it is justified by the numbers. I love your description of batman, it is pretty accurate. Damn cos players, the next terrorist menace.

Assuming indestructible cables, a trailer welded to the top of the truck cab and bumper attached so solidly it is just ludicrous then this could actually be done with energy to spare... Impressive...

And these out-takes were the best ones yet!

the maths make my head hurt x.x

OT: Still love the show, but the one thing that stuck out to me is that in the truck scene, batman did a very nice job weaving through the poles...but didn't anchor them. So there was never anything to even slow the truck down. Kinda cool to see that it could have possibly worked though IF he'd bothered to.

Are these advertising captcha's in the videos going to be a permanent thing?

I really have to disagree with you guys on this. In order to use the assumption that all the linear energy was converted into rotational energy, you also have to assume that the moment arm produced was great enough to flip the truck.
Given that the bottom of the bumper, where the cable applied the force, was so close to the center of gravity, I would think that the resulting moment applied would not be enough to flip the truck.

This was the first episode I just didn't like.

I don't know if it was the nature of the scene, or the call based on how ridiculous that scene actually is...

I also REALLY miss the system I understood. I don't know how much weight 10000kg is...

Can you put conversions in the description or something...?

At least I know it was 45ish miles an hour... that was one term I didn't have to ponder.

My biggest complaint about all this, since it's been two episodes in a row... is every time I hear a measurement I don't understand, I stop listening to the video and think about how much I have no idea what that translates too... which detracts from my enjoyment of the video.

since we are talking about flipping trucks. how about this van flip scene from the russian movie nightwatch.

that scene were these 3 guys sit in the van, drive really fast and suddenly they see a man standing on street and they break and imply the handbreak at the same time and the flip over the man and land on all 4 weals and keep driving.

that would be interesting to see how much of it is actually possible.

this is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows on the escapist. i would love it if you would go into a little more detail about the calculations and formulas you use. keep up the good work!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here