Zero Punctuation: DMC: Devil May Cry

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

DMC: Devil May Cry

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews DMC: Devil May Cry.

Watch Video

I want to burn every copy of this game for nothing more than "He's the product of a demon and angel"

Basically the same as every other review who isn't blindly throwing a 10/10 at it cause Capcom advertises on their site: It plays well, it's easier, the characters have the personality of a pre-teen who loves ICP, and it needlessly craps on a series that was much better before it got rebooted. Worth playing if you have zero attachment to the DMC series as a series and just want to hit things with a big sword while the characters randomly string together vulgarity cause that's what a 12yr old thinks is cool.

Well, I got my Run DMC joke. I'm happy X3

And enough wiener jokes for the week also.

The thing is the aesthetic is obviously done to distract from the fact that the actual level design is completely BORING. Seriously, the platforming sections are just ramrod straight filler used to pad out the game because the designers couldn't think of anything more complex lest the Unreal Engine put a gun to its head and say "fuck this." Plus the combat is a complete snooze. Just mashing buttons should NOT be the way to be at a game like this.

Lol- that was a Lelo Gigi. At least good taste was used when plugging the holes. In the rowboat, of course. ...the blue would've went better with water than the pink one though. Now I've said too much.

So, it's good, but not great.

I can live with that...

The amount of Ninja Theory's ego in this game is enough reason for me to burn as many copies as I can. I'm kind of surprised Yahtzee gave it a thumbs up, guess he saw something I didn't. I thought for sure he would rag on enemy design or fixed grapple points.

This was surprisingly positive given how ham-fisted the story was. Then again, I really can't deny dem gorgeous environments and there's always the mute button for when people open their mouths.

Since we're big on acronyms, I wonder if the heros call themselves GROSS: Get Rid Of Slimy Succubi.

So fun but not to be taken seriously - pretty much the same as the last few Devil May Cry games except the dev team spent forty hours huffing nitrous oxide while watching Fox news.

That being said I'm delighted my favorite movie starring Rowdy Roddy Piper finally got a video game adaptation.

Yahtzee was a lot more civil to this one than I expected. I've never been DMC's biggest fan anyway, so if this is an awful pile of whatever, you couldn't prove it by me. I dug the first one. But that's about my extent of DMC knowledge and experience.

So... whatever new game. I was never going to play you anyway. White hair, black hair or otherwise.

The one positive I come away with in this review or some of the other ones, "At least it looks pretty"

As a game by itself, this probably would have been passable. But given the franchise it's supposed to be rebooting, this is Sonic 06 levels of disappointment.

Thank you Ninja Theory for ruining one of the greastes capcom series ever.

OMD Yahtzee actually liked a DMC game I should go look out my window and see if the world is on fire.

Another fantastic game by Ninja Theory. Probably the best Hack N' Slash I've played in a good long while. I had pretty much given up on the genre after the snore fest that was Darksiders and Bayonetta.

I wasn't overly fond of it when I tried the PS3 demo but I played a bit of the PC version recently and have really enjoyed it. It would seem that they picked the dullest level in the game for the demo. I seem to remember finding the demo really, really ugly, too but, well... the game's actually kinda pretty.

I much prefer DMC1 and 3 but I've enjoyed this one much more than 4 so far. I'll probably buy it for myself when I get some money.

Sylveria:
The characters have the personality of a pre-teen who loves ICP, and it needlessly craps on a series that was much better before it got rebooted. Worth playing if you have zero attachment to the DMC series as a series and just want to hit things with a big sword while the characters randomly string together vulgarity cause that's what a 12yr old thinks is cool.

Were we watching the same video? Because I don't recall him saying any of that...

Sort of how I feel: combat is decent, if at times lacking or constrained, and the levels feel good, while the story is a lot to be desired, and this feels a lot like a masturbatory product from NT. I can't help but think though that, since this is actually the first game NT has fully written, if they sort of felt like they could be all smarmy with the mop joke and kind of douchy behavior in the credits (yes, you're so badass for giving the finger while riding on a skateboard, I bet you were the coolest kid in school *yawn*)

I think the boss fights were overall fine. However both final bosses felt rather lacking (the actual final boss was too easy and had a contrived way of winning), and I think the Lilith boss fight is a good example of why a lack of lock-on doesn't work.

It occurred to me the other day though when thinking about the game's story that, all things considered, the villains are actually very non-threatening. Think about it, we never actually see the effects of virility on humans, Raptor news doesn't actually seem to be brainwashing the people if no one on the street recognizes Dante, and we never actually see what Mundus does that makes his "control the world through debt" plan all that effective or scary.

The reboot is definitely easier than the old games. In fact, the "hardest" mode of DmC is easier than the second easiest mode in DMC3.

crimson sickle2:
The amount of Ninja Theory's ego in this game is enough reason for me to burn as many copies as I can.

Agreeing with this. Tam Tam has flipped off the fans enough times in addition to self inserting on an established character, calling his adolescent level writing "artistic satire" and "Shakespearean", then deciding to insert his Twitter profile into the game's #DEMONS #YOLO ending.

Sylveria:
Basically the same as every other review who isn't blindly throwing a 10/10 at it cause Capcom advertises on their site: It plays well, it's easier, the characters have the personality of a pre-teen who loves ICP, and it needlessly craps on a series that was much better before it got rebooted. Worth playing if you have zero attachment to the DMC series as a series and just want to hit things with a big sword while the characters randomly string together vulgarity cause that's what a 12yr old thinks is cool.

Basically, only cut about half of that out, pass it through the "things Yahtzee always says" filter and end with "I can recommend DMC."

crimson sickle2:
The amount of Ninja Theory's ego in this game is enough reason for me to burn as many copies as I can. I'm kind of surprised Yahtzee gave it a thumbs up, guess he saw something I didn't. I thought for sure he would rag on enemy design or fixed grapple points.

Indeed, they're pretty burying themselves as a developer at this point. Sales for the game haven't even touched DMC4's numbers so looks like they paid the price.

There really is a scene where a mop falls on his head, giving him the old look, and then tosses it away? I guess the devs didn't take well to the fans/fanboys complaining about the new look. Rather than just making their new game and see if people appriciate it, they open up by saying "Fuck everyone who prefered the old look, we think it looks stupid and we're making the game, not you, neiner-neiner". Can't deny that it's a funnier response, but I don't think it's a good buisness practice. Plus, seeing Dante's new look on the screenshots, I can't say I find it looking any less stupid.

Aiddon:
The thing is the aesthetic is obviously done to distract from the fact that the actual level design is completely BORING. Seriously, the platforming sections are just ramrod straight filler used to pad out the game because the designers couldn't think of anything more complex lest the Unreal Engine put a gun to its head and say "fuck this." Plus the combat is a complete snooze. Just mashing buttons should NOT be the way to be at a game like this.

I agree.

The aesthetics and platforming feel the same all the way through the game. Just the same static trod forward from encounter-to-encounter until the level ends. Although I think NT did a good job with the platforming, it starts to feel samey fast, and the quality of levels takes a nosedive towards the end of the game when it abandons the visual coolness of limbo and everything just looks like shit and is even more boring to trod through.

While Dante does have a good number of toys and moves to play with, the cast of enemies often times makes it impossible to have fun with your weapons. Makes me wonder how much these reviewers actually play the game, because I think it starts to fall apart fast when you play it on harder difficulties.

I think playing it through on Nephelim, I could say I might recommend it too. But after playing through the game on SoS and Dante must Die, all of the problems became magnified and impossible to ignore. So I withdraw my recommendation and would rather tell others to stay away from it.

I like Devil May Cry as much as the next person, and while I'm not universally in love with DMC (it's a step down in some areas, a step up in others), you can't honestly say it's a worse game than Devil May Cry 2.... Seriously. People who claim the franchise is ruined apparently have selective amnesia about the utterly bland, piss-easy, emotionally stunted game that was Devil May Cry 2.

I'd even say this is better than Devil May Cry 4, overall.

It's certainly not better than Devil May Cry 1 or 3, but being the "middle" game in a franchise with two objectively worse installments isn't that bad.

Aiddon:
The thing is the aesthetic is obviously done to distract from the fact that the actual level design is completely BORING.

Aesthetics aren't good either. Everything is red and yellow and too fuckin' bright. Which is weird because everything also looks filthy. It's lazy and uninspiring. Original series had a much better environment design with it's Gothic architecture mixed with Japanese atmosphere.

DVS BSTrD:
Since we're big on acronyms, I wonder if the heros call themselves GROSS: Get Rid Of Slimy Succubi.

Not enough profanity. Unless the periods in G.R.O.S.S are tiny bubbles that scream "fuck you!"

I thought this game was very, very entertaining and most certainly worth playing. While I admit I didn't have much of an attachment to the series beforehand (only really played through DMC3 and thought it was alright), I found this game quite enjoyable, with very pretty visuals, entertaining characters, and an enjoyable combat system. While certainly not as good as Bayonetta (all hail the Queen of Spectacle), certainly a great game on its own.

Much as I thought. Probably quite good, but not really DMC. Not really sure why they ever decided the series needed a reboot in the first place.

I'll just take a sec to say that, yes, I like boss fights that challenge, but I'm a little tired of "And now that you're down to your last shred of life we'll introduce another form whose attacks you have know way of anticipating or countering, oops, too bad, go back to the beginning of the encounter and fight the first form again you loser." (Or its more obnoxious cousins, "Go back to the beginning of the boss's interminable unskippable monologue" and "Go back to fifteen minutes before the boss fight and try not to lose any health en route because it would be a shame if you were to lose the boss fight before it even began *snort, snicker*") Taken against any of that unholy trio, I'll generally take "a little too easy" and raise a glass in thanks.

Tohuvabohu:

I agree.

The aesthetics and platforming feel the same all the way through the game. Just the same static trod forward from encounter-to-encounter until the level ends. Although I think NT did a good job with the platforming, it starts to feel samey fast, and the quality of levels takes a nosedive towards the end of the game when it abandons the visual coolness of limbo and everything just looks like shit and is even more boring to trod through.

While Dante does have a good number of toys and moves to play with, the cast of enemies often times makes it impossible to have fun with your weapons. Makes me wonder how much these reviewers actually play the game, because I think it starts to fall apart fast when you play it on harder difficulties.

I think playing it through on Nephelim, I could say I might recommend it too. But after playing through the game on SoS and Dante must Die, all of the problems became magnified and impossible to ignore. So I withdraw my recommendation and would rather tell others to stay away from it.

The platforming FUNCTIONS, but that's not the same as being GOOD. It's just too simplistic and rote to garner any actual praise. Even DMC4 had more complex design than that. When I think GOOD level design I think of Mario Galaxy, not NT's Introduction to Platforming.

I really like the combat, level design and the general aesthetic of the game. The story and character development...well, it's a Capcom game, but New Dante, as he must now be called, looks like one of those annoying Tumblr swagfags crossed with one of those fake-harcore bands that consist of androgynous teenagers. I don't agree with all of the 10/10 being thrown at DMC's way, but it has certainly better combat than God of War and is rather satisfying. I kind of like it.

Shadowstar38:
The one positive I come away with in this review or some of the other ones, "At least it looks pretty"

As a game by itself, this probably would have been passable. But given the franchise it's supposed to be rebooting, this is Sonic 06 levels of disappointment.

Lolwut? While I don't play DMC, you cannot say that a game that actually functions is even comparable to how bad Sonic 06 failed. Unless the new DMC is chocked full of game-breaking bugs and who's framerate can't even handle a handful of enemies at a time without completely tanking, it's not even close to being on Sonic 06's level.

Trishbot:
I like Devil May Cry as much as the next person, and while I'm not universally in love with DMC (it's a step down in some areas, a step up in others), you can't honestly say it's a worse game than Devil May Cry 2.... Seriously. People who claim the franchise is ruined apparently have selective amnesia about the utterly bland, piss-easy, emotionally stunted game that was Devil May Cry 2.

I'd even say this is better than Devil May Cry 4, overall.

It's certainly not better than Devil May Cry 1 or 3, but being the "middle" game in a franchise with two objectively worse installments isn't that bad.

Exactly. All the complaints that were brought up pre-game release aren't really that valid anymore. I can actually say that the younger Dante is kinda believable as a younger version of a cocky cock from the later games. Granted, he's still a cocky cock, but slightly more restrained.

Also, the people complaining that the easiness of the game ruins it, hear this from a hardcore Demon's/Dark Souls player: It's a game, not a final exam for college-level Calculus. Besides, no one is forcing you to play it on easy. The difficulty option can still be bumped up.

Whilst I am not the target audience of the original Devil May Cry or this reboot, I can understand the frustration of having a game series feel like it's lost its sense of challenge. That aside, I also have a new favorite euphemism now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here