No Right Answer: Videogame Franchise that Needs to Die the Most

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Videogame Franchise that Needs to Die the Most

Sometimes the only thing keeping a franchise alive is nostalgia.

Watch Video

It's not just CoD that needs to die as a franchise, but rather the whole genre of spunkgargleweewee.

I knew Sonic was gonna be one of the options and that it would win before even loading the video.

Happy but also a bit sad to be right...

Please just die old friend :[

Should have gone with Resident Evil instead of CoD...

HOLY SHIT the guys are back on games again =O

OT: I would of chosen Resident Evil and Final Fantasy personally... but Sonic and CoD aren't bad choices either.

SO... MANY... CHOICES!

Metal Gear is my nomination. You thought Call of Duty felt like watching a movie?

Could probably fit Dynasty Warriors in there too, come to think of it.

Hey I LIKED Sonic Adventure 2!

Killing Call of Duty won't do any good as long as Battlefield still exists.
My vote goes for Dead Space.

I would play any game with "Advanced Dick" in the title.

I wouldn't argue CoD needs to die, but the style of modern warfare games needs to die... NOW.

Sonic has a Saturday morning cartoon

The Sonic series has actually improved recently with Colors and Generations. It only took them years, but they finally figured out how to make a playable and enjoyable Sonic game in 3D. I do agree that Adventures 1 and 2 aged like milk left in the hot sun, though.

Urh:
It's not just CoD that needs to die as a franchise, but rather the whole genre of spunkgargleweewee.

Really the only thing that needs to die is that term

Dan automatically lost when he said Sonic Adventure 2 was a bad game.
Just... no.

CoD: You looked at the past 3 years, which all had games in the series with very slight changes.
Sonic: You looked at the 10 years BEFORE those years, which at least had significant changes.

No need to look at Sonic's recent history, right? Just keep thinking about the middle-aged glitches, werehogs, and bad controls. There wasn't even a 3D Sonic game in 2012, because the developers probably figured, "Eh, we did our little celebration of the past 20 years and made up for it with VASTLY IMPROVED LEVEL DESIGN for the AWESOME levels from our most popular games back then. Let's give it a rest."

Seriously, go play Sonic Generations (or Colors, its prequel on the Wii) and see what I mean.

erttheking:

Urh:

Everytime someone copies Yahtzee's terminology a koala gets its spine torn out. I can hear them screaming.

I like Call of Duty, I think it's valid and fun, what I don't think we need are copycats of Call of Duty

Casual Shinji:

erttheking:

Urh:

Everytime someone copies Yahtzee's terminology a koala gets its spine torn out. I can hear them screaming.

What's a koala doing fighting Sub-Zero?

Personally, I want CoD to die more than Sonic. While the Sonic games may be atrocious, they are not doing the damage to the game industry that CoD's popularity and sales have.

And that is why these "SONIC HASN'T BEEN GOOD IN YEARS" arguments are really fucking outdated.

Good win for Sonic.
Maybe Mario or Resident Evil could've beaten his blue ass...

Some funny oneliners, so it's also a win for me as a viewer ;)

I found the DS Sonic games to be really enjoyable...

I'm liking the hilarious lines that ask for the likes; sadly, I don't have The FaceSpacebookkit.

Yeah, I'm an old-timer who played the original Sonics on the Genesis and loved them, always been critical of the 3d sonics. But Sonic Generations is good, and the most interesting thing after playing it was that I found the "modern Sonic" levels more fun than the "classic Sonic" levels.

On some level teabagging is fun? Why the hell did he get a point for that?

Ugh... Bring up sonic and i'm out. immediately. I know what you're gonna do and i'm tired of it. So go ahead and dump on Sonic and get it over with. I'm out.

And wrong franchise, CoD is fine, Medal of Honor franchise needs to die. Also, Star wars as games.

Casual Shinji:

erttheking:

Urh:

Hahahahahah. Koala's suck, they're not even actual bears.
Spunkgargleweewee is a great term, just like Spectacle Fighter, Charismatic Stallion, Pants on head retarded, Feces Powered Airplane and the Putrescent Waters of Knowledge.

rayen020:

Medal of Honor franchise needs to die.

I see someone hasn't heard the news yet. ;)

Firefilm:
Videogame Franchise that Needs to Die the Most

Sometimes the only thing keeping a franchise alive is nostalgia.

Watch Video

Sir! Engage Flame Shields!

Sonic Adventures 2 was good though I agree the remakes didn't change at all had both the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions and they were virtually the same.

Why kill them? why not fuse them! Imagine Call of Sonic: Modern Hedgehog! Running at the speed of sound whilst shooting robots and freeing the cute little animals. It would be a grand game with little to no flaws, and the graphics would never look dated due to them being stylized.

I can hear the rumbling stampede of angry fanboys from this episode.

I must say, much of sonic is kind of on the downhill and needs to peter out......but I liked adventure 1&2.....

The problem with call of duty is that it has potential for being a great series to make a long run of because you can have a literal progression of technology to expand the game every time, but they just don't pull it off right. Then it all just falls back to point gun, kill dude in the same way it has been. Tricky to expand that in a realistic setting, lo the death of it is needed.

In the end....I would probably agree with Sonic. Both keep on being samey, but at least call of duty has more potential behind it. Breaking from those, I agree with the guy saying resident evil. When a game moves from survival horror to a shooter in a horror setting, it gets rather suspect.

God of War needs to die and I say this as a god of war fan.

I'll give Ascension one last chance to end the franchise on a high note but after that it needs to die.

He's killed Zeus, he's killed Titans, he's killed the sisters of fate. You can't really ratchet it up more after that unless you take it to a whole different mythology.

But even if you did take it to Egyptian mythology or whatever, Kratos has become one dimensional and the storyline over 5 games has become a mess. I think they should make a spiritual successor set in Egyptian mythology and leave Kratos and company out of it entirely.

Don't get me wrong the gameplay is still fun but I think it's being milked for sequels right now.

I would so play Carl On Duty: Black Cops II.

But yeah, maybe it's just Sonic's time to go. Character's appeal is in the toilet, he just seems to be the default guinea pig for whatever twisted, unethical experiment Sega wants to perform, his personality is annoying, put him out to pasture for a few years.

I'm curious what Sonic is going to do next. Considering the game that made it "good" again was a greatest hits collection, where Sega finally got their thumbs out of their asses and just made a game without a secondary gimmick, and it was good. Or at least it seemed like it. There actually was a secondary gimmick: Classic Sonic.

The question now becomes if they can make an actual, genuine, honest-to-god modern Sonic game with just the version we saw in the day stages of Unleashed or modern stages of Generations without something else slapped on it to try and change purely for the sake of change. No treasure hunting levels, no fishing trips, no team mechanics, no retro throwbacks, no color powers, no werewolf transformations.

Sega, you have something here. Just one simple game is all I'm asking for. Sometimes simple is best. Because honestly, if they can't make that, maybe Sonic does deserve to die.

Also, as for my own choice, I second the God of War series. Even if they took it to fighting other gods, which they don't seem interested in doing, Kratos has just become so unlikable it wouldn't be as fun.

Every time I hear someone cite the older Sonic games as the better ones, I can't help but to imagine what would've happened if Sega had taken the Nintendo path and just churned out 2D clones of the game over and over again. We'd probably hate it, but at least it would let us appreciate what the 3D Sonic games try to do. I mean, yes, their quality may be questionable, but they at least try to be different in terms of story each time.

What the franchise needs is better writers who respect the universe a little more. Shadow's game was below mediocre because it had interesting ideas but had shitty execution, terrible controls, and abysmal writing; basically lost potential at its finest. 06 was unfinished and is something no one wants to shut up about because it's the only game that everyone agrees sucks. Unleashed was a good game, just didn't have anything to write home about.

But it needs to die? Really? I guess the new games suck now that Sonic is no longer fighting robotic ladybugs that pop out little animals with heads so big their continued existince is impossible with a single predator lurking around.
I could at least agree that the locations from the older games were more varied, but the idea that the older games were superior? No, you just lost interest in the franchise.
I could just be bitter that you said Adventure 2 sucks when it's the only game that made me give a shit about the plot of a Sonic game...

The sad thing is, there's no reason Sonic had to become the joke he is now

Sonic Colors proves that the Blue Blur can be just as fantastic as ever, but Sonic Generations proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sonic Team doesn't have a clue what makes a good Sonic game anymore.
Every once in a while they put out a game that's fun & full of potential, then they go right back to curb-stomping that renewed faith & hope it gave us for the franchise

(P.S.: I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1, & SA2 had an awesome final boss at least)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here