No Right Answer: Videogame Franchise that Needs to Die the Most

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I don't like either franchise mentioned here (I liked SA2 when I had it for the Gamecube, but haven't been back to it for years), so I wouldn't mind the death of either. However, never going to happen.

Thing that really caught my attention, though, was The Avengers and Cabin in the Woods being framed between the two of them on the shelf in the background. I'm hoping this is foreshadowing in some way, as where that might lead could be interesting...

i like how the only people to hate on newer Sonic games are people who haven't tried them. I actually really enjoyed Sonic Heroes and Sonic Colors. they still seem to be selling so somebody must like these games.

Most of the time the haters try to complain about the gameplay but they don't have enough to go from so they do what these guys do, mock the superficial elements. "Sonic's running from a truck, it's a bad game". Or "Sonic turned into a werehog, it's a bad game". While I hate those concepts just as much as the next guy, those concepts don't actually ruin the game at all.

The sonic games have always been average at best but it seems the older generation has a different idea as to what Sonic was in the 90's. Sonic The Hedgehog was never a great game, it was just a mildly fun game and most of Sonic's games are still fun. (not all though)

As for Call of Duty, i have nothing to say about that series. I'll agree that it isn't even a franchise at this point, there are multiple developers making multiple games all being labeled Call of Duty just to increase the sales of each game. it's tough to call it a series at all. I like shooters, i do, but i haven't liked a military shooter since the beginning of military shooters. It's over-saturation and it will naturally kill itself. No entertainment franchise can survive long on doing the same thing. (and some day the entire shooter genre will die out the same way platformers did)

Sonic is showing signs of improvement (or at least, not sucking nearly as much), thanks to Colors and Generations.
On the other hand, you should look at this video, and play his best of 2012, to get why CoD MW has to just die
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6677-Top-5-of-2012

I actually really liked SA1+2. The main problem for me is that they've aged very, very poorly. I guess I need to go back and replay them to see if I actually like them.

But Sonic has seen some general improvement. Generations and Colors were supposed to be good. I personally didn't care for Generations, but I was never a big fan of the 2D sonic games either. CoD is a much bigger problem though. Not only are the games themself uninspired (though I do love me some zombie mode), but they're having a fairly large impact on other games. So many of the same type of game are being made because of it's success. So many other games are having gameplay impacted to be 'more like Call of Duty' by having things like multiplayer forced in. The multiplayer thing was a trend that Halo started, but didn't become forced on almost every game until CoD's multiplayer hit it big. And that's why I think CoD is the one that needs to die more. And this is coming from somebody who doesn't actually mind the games themselves.

I would have agreed with sonic needing to die if it wasn't for Generations. they should improve on that, first by removing the god awful stories they force on people with terrible voice acting. if mario can survive for 25+ years with simply "save the princess" why can't sonic survive with "save the animals, defeat Robotnik/Eggman"?

Resident Evil needs to die or at least get a reboot.

Just want to compliment the video editor for those incredibly hilarious images!

Just people some people don't like a franchise doesn't mean it has to die, as long as some people still enjoy it and it, who's it hurting. I've never understood this stance, like with CoD and how people think it needs to go away, it's not hurting people who don't play it. I don't play it, but it doesn't bother me either.

It just seems like a childish thing to say about any franchise, because we have all seen franchises get rebooted or get sequels that breathe new life into the IP with new ideas.

Sonic, easily. CoD may be repetitive but I would never say they were bad games. There is really wrong with them outside of a lack of any meaningful change from game to game.

Meanwhile Sonic has had truly terrible game after terrible game. The brief sparks of life that was part of generations and colors were little more than someone sticking the corpse's finger in an electrical socket.

I love Sonic, but a lot of people are leaving out the travesty that was Sonic 4 episodes 1 & 2. Those games should never have seen the light of day and are so incredibly bad.

With that said Colours, Riders, Rush and Generations were all awesome. My younger cousins love current Sonic almost as much as I loved the original titles. I do think that it is often considered trendy to hate on Sonic games even though they obviously still have an audience. That audience is quite young or nostalgic, so generally is undefended on forums. Yeah the old "hasn't been a good Sonic game since Adventure or whatever is completely invalid.

Call of Duty doesn't have the potential to be a great series. It is what it is and will continue to survive because of that fact. It is an arcade style FPS game. It's something to do just because you want to waste time. There are both short term and long term rewards, kill streaks and gun unlocks. Even rip offs do well like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. There's a big demand for simplistic multiplayer in that type of game.

Basically No Right Answer was lazy and covered two of the more "popular" choices for bashing as opposed to coming up with original ideas or arguments.

If it was me? I'd go for Prince of Persia or Diablo. Prince of Persia for the PS2 I loved, but I don't think the recent releases are a reflection of it's hayday. I know it's going on Hiatus for a while... It's probably for the best. Diablo I just never really got into... it was pretty much a game to play with friends but failed to hold attention as much as other games. Blizz's terrible handling of the RMAH, automated bans and post release testing (they didn't thoroughly test Inferno Difficulty), really destroyed the last release for me and my friends.

I hope the guys put more effort into their next vid.

It would have been hilariously ironic if he'd argued for killing off Medal of Honour instead of Call of Duty. Since it, you know, actually was put down earlier this week.

ciancon:
Just want to compliment the video editor for those incredibly hilarious images!

Why thank you, we try!

canadamus_prime:
Hey I LIKED Sonic Adventure 2!

So did I and most of the gamers i know, at the least the sound track was mostly cool. And it's rare for anything sonic related to end on a downer, if it hadn't been for Sonic we wouldn't have had Crush 40. I'm still waiting for sonic adventure 3 though. The sonic Advance Games are great (the first probaly being the best) i like Rush however since Advance 2 they (Dimps) are starting to be generic with all the boosting.
I'm obviously a sonic fanboy (well, fanatic) so you can imagine how furious I was with Sonic 06 my gawd, suck great fury!
Haven't played Sonic4 yet but Colours, Generations and Half of Unleashed where good too great (i liked the werehog stuff on it's own but it makes a bad Sonic game). In short there are more good and unique sonic games hard to say that about Cod Beyond Modern Warfare, i'd say. Oh and that sonic racing game is really cool too.

Anyway CoD is weird the thing is it can't die because it's barely alive most are the same and boardering on offensive (story wise) the latest game has some cool stuff in it but it's short lived in story mode meaning you get the same as the last game.

Really most companies are having this problem with their franchises, I don't even think it's the lack of new ideas but rather their lazy execution

"NOBODY'S ENJOYING SONIC ANYMORE HE'S IN A KART RACING GAME!?"
Dude, was that a rip on Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed? I'm sorry, but have you even PLAYED it?
It's way freaking better than Mario Kart's last few outings, that's for sure.
Dare I say I enjoyed it more than some of the last few actual Sonic games I played -- and while I know that doesn't help Sonic's case much, you really shouldn't rip on a solid, enjoyable, and well-put-together game just for being "hurr durr kart racer".

FoolKiller:

Casual Shinji:

erttheking:

Really the only thing that needs to die is that term

Everytime someone copies Yahtzee's terminology a koala gets its spine torn out. I can hear them screaming.

What's a koala doing fighting Sub-Zero?

Personally, I want CoD to die more than Sonic. While the Sonic games may be atrocious, they are not doing the damage to the game industry that CoD's popularity and sales have.

Yeah, I think for the sake of our image as gamers, CoD's got to change it's style or stick a fork in it.
Some more game franchises that have run their course are God of War, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy. Eachnew installment just feels like an empty cashing in on the name at this point.

Im fine with shit games exsisting, its when good games get passed over for the same old shit that pisses me off.

It should have been madden instead of cod

Red X:

canadamus_prime:

So did I and most of the gamers i know, at the least the sound track was mostly cool. And it's rare for anything sonic related to end on a downer, if it hadn't been for Sonic we wouldn't have had Crush 40. I'm still waiting for sonic adventure 3 though. The sonic Advance Games are great (the first probaly being the best) i like Rush however since Advance 2 they (Dimps) are starting to be generic with all the boosting.
I'm obviously a sonic fanboy (well, fanatic) so you can imagine how furious I was with Sonic 06 my gawd, suck great fury!
Haven't played Sonic4 yet but Colours, Generations and Half of Unleashed where good too great (i liked the werehog stuff on it's own but it makes a bad Sonic game). In short there are more good and unique sonic games hard to say that about Cod Beyond Modern Warfare, i'd say. Oh and that sonic racing game is really cool too.

Anyway CoD is weird the thing is it can't die because it's barely alive most are the same and boardering on offensive (story wise) the latest game has some cool stuff in it but it's short lived in story mode meaning you get the same as the last game.

Really most companies are having this problem with their franchises, I don't even think it's the lack of new ideas but rather their lazy execution

Yeah, why does everyone ignore the existence of the Sonic Advance games, esp. those who pine for the old 2D platforming? I mean it'd be one thing if they did the usual dipshit fanboy thing and whine about how they still involved all of Sonic's friends that everyone hates, but nobody ever mentions them EVER. WTF?

Urh:
It's not just CoD that needs to die as a franchise, but rather the whole genre of spunkgargleweewee.

I really can't take anyone seriously if all they do is regurgitate Yahtzee's soundbytes instead of coming up with their own rationale.

I have a friend who, on several occasions, has quoted a Yahtzee review almost verbatim when prompted for this thoughts on a new game. When asked how he formed that opinion, he just shrugged and said "that's what I heard". He didn't play it. He didn't read reviews. He didn't even know what it was about. He just knew that Yahtzee thought it was shit.

If we limit ourselves to a binary consideration of shit that Yahtzee likes or doesn't like, we are severely limiting our capability to just enjoy some fucking games. Portal and Silent Hill 2 are wonderful, but they're not all there is to gaming.

Pretty much the adventure games were the best and its gone down hill from there, mix that with zelda and larger environments and you have pure win! Cod piece can die tho....

Sonic doesn't need to die: unlike Call of Duty, Sonic isn't afraid to innovate and indeed the last few games have been different to each other. There was the colors-based one, the omage to the series past, the Hog-Wolf one, the Black Knight and, Arabian Nights one and, the unofficial 3rd installment to Adventure this generation alone (not counting the digital release of Sonic The Hedgehog 4 and his appearance in Smash Bros).

Call of Duty hasn't really introduced much more than 'zombies' and as far as innovation goes that's about as risky as adding pepperoni to your pizza. Granted way back in 05' or 06' the franchise decided to make their fourth numbered title a modern day affair rather than another WW2 shooter so there's a point-and-a-half to Call of Duty.

I think one of the major lessons from this thread should be, if you haven't played the most recent iteration in a series then you really have no place commenting on it's longevity.

Stop and think, "Did you even play it?".

rayen020:
Ugh... Bring up sonic and i'm out. immediately. I know what you're gonna do and i'm tired of it. So go ahead and dump on Sonic and get it over with. I'm out.

And wrong franchise, CoD is fine, Medal of Honor franchise needs to die. Also, Star wars as games.

well I have some good news for you then. Medal of honor is dead. The last game sold so porly that the franchise has been dropped.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121799-Electronic-Arts-Drops-Medal-of-Honor

You know, as long as people continue to buy and enjoy games, I see absolutely no reason for "killing" a franchise. The sole exception is probably Sonic due to the fact that they have deviated so much from what made Sonic fun to play with in the first place. That or series that wrapped up nicely, but which the developers drag out to make a quick buck on an established IP.

Looking right at you Halo 4.

You know, I really don't understand why so many think Resident Evil needs to go the way of the dodo instead of Call of Duty. At least RE innovates, has an interesting story, characters you actually remember and like, and isn't the cause of every game series heading toward some sort of dumbed-down, mediocrity singularity.

Someone on the Facebook comments pointed out that the CoD series has none of the DRM bullshit that is dragging down AAA gaming. It just suffers from familiarity of experience, using the SAME FUCKING ENGINE FOR HALF A DECADE, and overpriced (but ultimately unnecessary) map packs. But seriously when a game series has, for four games in a row now, broken the previous sales records, and it has NO DRM, that is something to be CHAMPIONED. CELEBRATED. DON'T KILL THAT.

I dunno.. I would think that the better route would be to simply stop pining over what you used to like if it has since changed and just move on to play something you do.

Sonic as it exists now doesn't somehow eliminate the fun I had with the series up to Sonic 3. CoD as it exists now doesn't somehow eliminate the fun I had with Modern Warfare. I don't play either series now and I still have more games I want to play than I have the time or money for.

In this case, perhaps more than any other, I would say that the title "No Right Answer" is an apt one.

I suppose what I think about is: What would we lose if said franchise stopped?
In CoD's case: Not much. There's no shortage of Multiplayer FPS games, and certainly no shortage of modern military shooters. There are so many CoD imitators, reminding me that CoD started life as a Medal of Honor imitator.
Unless they wanted to do something more interesting with WW2, like exploring some of the less famous parts of the war, then there's not much else for them left to say.

With Sonic, we'd be losing one of the more colorful franchises still in existence. Even when it's made failed attempts at being serious and dramatic, it's still proud of the fact that it LOOKS like a video game. Even with a handful of awful games in the series, it's still Sonic the Hedgehog and it's an important part of video game culture both historically and in image. CoD is basically a dull Michael Bay film for X-Box live trolls.
I'm not saying that it didn't have major impact on the culture, I'm just saying it's impact might not have been the most positive thing to have happened.

Besides, Generations and Colors have thoroughly proved Sega's ability to produce decent Sonic titles when they put their mind in the right place.
CoD, on the other hand, will be exactly the same the next time you play as the last time you played it. It will innovate only when it absolutely has to, and will never stop trying to screw you over on DLC and other shady practices, because that's what Activision does.

I'd buy a game called "Advanced Wardick" just for the name alone. Imagine the conversations it would start when someone walks into your room, and sees that game laying around!

Advanced War Dick... still not a sillier subtitle than Warfighter.

Milanezi:
I like Call of Duty, I think it's valid and fun, what I don't think we need are copycats of Call of Duty

So...Call of Duty?

There is a greatpoint made in this video, that the more recent CoD clones probably wouldn't have sold as well if they neglected the Call of Duty name. It's just a typical Activision move, flogging the dead horse of a formerly good franchise until it runs in to the ground and then blame the market. Kind of like Guitar Hero.

Excellent debate. Dan in particular was in fine form today. Also very topical since I just watched a let's play with the HAWP crew of Sonic Adventures 2 which really is a slow, terrible game. That being said, wasn't Dan supposed to get the final word given that he won?

Sonic might be something I don't enjoy but it doesn't spill over into other genres.

Spunkgargleweewee however does encroach on other genres.

Sonic is harmless outside its fanbase, Spunkgargleweewee is not.

canadamus_prime:

AGREED!

Honestly when he said there was an HD 3D remake at PAX my joy levels rose to maximum levels!

I think Sonic vs Final Fantasy would have been a closer contest. :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or