Dead Space 3: The Line

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Agreed really dumb idea. Games become a lot less scary when you have someone to dick around with.

Also didn't know helghast were in the game now.

I would've gone with Necromorph Soup, personally.

And now I have that song stuck in my head.

Damn you Grey!

NightHawk21:

Damn, Why do the space Nazi's hate the space zombies? It makes no sense!!

Now what would be interesting is, if in co-op mode, you were capable of becoming separated from your partner and run around the levels trying to find them again. Might make things a tad more interesting and bring back that sense of isolation.

Nothing like losing what you took for granted.

Was there ever any tension to begin with?

God damnit, I just spent last week trying to get that song out of my head!

I'm being coerced into playing Dead Space 3 by a friend. I hope there is still some of the terror, 'cause his screams are hilarious. :D

Because a game series where the main character can stomp hard enough to cause earthquakes is ALL about the terror! ~_~

NightHawk21:
Agreed really dumb idea. Games become a lot less scary when you have someone to dick around with.

I'm surprised neither of them were wearing the N7 armor.

So basically don't play Dead Space 3 co-op? Noted. But I'll be honest, there was never any terror in Dead Space so twice the amount of nothing is still nothing. So I guess the whole co-op killing the tension and terror thing is a bit of a moot point.

Be it books, games, movies or real life the fear is weakened if you are with someone.

Grahav:
Be it books, games, movies or real life the fear is weakened if you are with someone.

Co-op book?
How it can be even remotely possible?

Laura Miele, EA Marketing Head:
We were hearing feedback that they love the thriller game, but it was pretty scary, and the obvious next step was that they wanted to play with someone. So we introduced co-op into the game.

So, yeah... that was pretty much intentional.

NightHawk21:

i think the point is that dead space never was really that scary since you could just blow the necromorphs legs off and stomp them to pulp in all the previous entires of this particular series.

just like in dark messiah where you just stopped using your sword and other weapons and sparta kicked the shit out of every opponent.

or like dead island where you could kick every zombie to death (again) without using up any kind of stamina.

It can't be as bad as Battletoads co-op... can it?

Isn't that how you normally play Dead Space anyway? Or am I doing something wrong?

Why am I reminded of this song when I read this comic:

I just want a scene where Isaac Clarke downs a necromorph and then tells it to bite the curb.

blackrave:

Grahav:

Co-op book?

Read it to someone. Children like that.

I still find it strange that there's co-op in Dead Space. This is gonna take some getting used to, and I'd image the last panel will go down like normal co-op would.

sky14kemea:

I'm being coerced into playing Dead Space 3 by a friend. I hope there is still some of the terror, 'cause his screams are hilarious. :D

While I agree that that damn song is now stuck in my head, but how in the hell did you manage to hear it before now?

Grahav:

blackrave:

Grahav:

Co-op book?

O_O
I...
You...
It...
...actually makes sense :/

Oh awesome, thank you I needed that laugh today,

It's true, when someone else is there, it does diffuse some of the tension of a horror situation...of course, you could argue having ONE other person with you can only do so much for your confidence when you're facing a slathering horde of THOUSANDS of twisted abominations from an insane asylum inmate's nightmares, some of them the size of a freight train. But that depends a lot on how immersed the two of you get into the game. If you both talk in calm tones and tense whispers about the game's content, that maintains focus and atmosphere. But if you start shooting the breeze about the Super Bowl or how much the latest Michael Bay film sucks, then that's definitely going to break the mood. Of course, as some have already pointed out, Dead Space hasn't been supremely scary in general; not in the same way as games like some of the Silent Hill franchise or Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I'd call it a good sci fi thriller with its good startling moments, but not often that genuinely SCARY. So adding a co-op really won't do all that much to it, I figure.

Oh, and as for the comic..."Cotton-Eye Joe" isn't bad, but I would have gone with "The Hamster Dance".

Yeah, you look positively terrified there Erin.

BTW thanks Grey, now I have that song stuck in my head!

I don't understand the title.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I still find it strange that there's co-op in Dead Space. This is gonna take some getting used to, and I'd image the last panel will go down like normal co-op would.

sky14kemea:

While I agree that that damn song is now stuck in my head, but how in the hell did you manage to hear it before now?

I like listening to really old 90's music when I draw...

Lazy:

It is a play on "Spec Ops: The Line". "Cotton-Eyed Joe", the song they were singing and dancing to in the last panel, is a line dance, and they are playing Dead Space 3. Hence the "title Dead Space 3: The Line"

Oh mah god that song. How could you do this to us?!

I guess this would have been too obvious...

RandomMan01:

Lazy:

It is a play on "Spec Ops: The Line". "Cotton-Eyed Joe", the song they were singing and dancing to in the last panel, is a line dance, and they are playing Dead Space 3. Hence the "title Dead Space 3: The Line"

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm still shocked people forget that Dead Space: Extraction had co-op. But it was on the Wii, so, like, I guess nobody cared.

Some people may be outraged at the idea of a survival horror franchise going more towards action and less towards horror/terror, but hardly any series manages to keep up that aspect, inevitably after you'd been facing the same threat and just upping the ante, it's going to turn into an action series.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, see Resident Evil 4.

Trishbot:
I'm still shocked people forget that Dead Space: Extraction had co-op. But it was on the Wii, so, like, I guess nobody cared.

People didn't care when it was ported to PS3 with Move controller either.

People just don't care about rail shooters. I don't know why, or if that is even true, but yeah.

knight steel:
Why am I reminded of this song when I read this comic:

Dude, I seriously used to hum that while stomping on Necromorphs back in the first two. Also of note, the comic got that bit from the song wrong- its actually "I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Hold on". (Goodness knows I have heard me mum sing it enough...).

I seriously wished they didn't add co-op. Maybe they felt because the game isn't that scary but just tense overall, you can just play it with a friend. You may lose any fear you had (even if it was a little bit) but maybe gain more fun or companionship with that person you're playing with?

... I would of preferred no co-op because not only is it less scary if not scary at all, but your partner is a grunting soldier who scolds Isaac who's dealt with two entire necromorph invasions. Just saying.

blackrave:

Grahav:

blackrave:

Co-op book?

O_O
I...
You...
It...
...actually makes sense :/

In long car trips I used to read "Choose your Own Adventure" books to my sisters. Fun, and a great way to kill time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here