Dead Space 3: The Line

Pages PREV 1 2

I don't know, if the game is frightening to begin with co-op can be scary. System Shock 2 used to be scary, but then again that meant there were even less weapons and ammo to go round. In a game like Dead Space that has no tension to begin with I can't see how it would matter.

(checks youtube to see if someone has made this mashup)

ah well, only a matter of time.

redknightalex:
Now what would be interesting is, if in co-op mode, you were capable of becoming separated from your partner and run around the levels trying to find them again. Might make things a tad more interesting and bring back that sense of isolation.

Nothing like losing what you took for granted.

Thats a good idea.

OT: I don't think the idea of having a partners SUCH a bad idea but coincidering how 'killy' the guns can get, two moving ordanace platforms might be overkill.

I watched a let's play of the Dead Space 3 demo online recently and it seems that the co-op characters sometimes suffer from hallucinations (ala Issac in Dead Space 1 and 2) but because it's only one character at a time, the other player can't see what their partner is seeing. I can't see that element alone solving the co-op problem but it did look like it was a way to start driving the feeling of separation between two players,

EDIT: Here's the vid:

Aw, it's good to see those two getting a long better now. Oh, you meant the tension in the game. I didn't know there was any.
Makin' necromorph soup, necromorph soup,
It's a very simple recipe, just giblets, guts, 'n' goop.
Why didn't you guys have them sing that in panel #3?

sky14kemea:
God damnit, I just spent last week trying to get that song out of my head!

I'm being coerced into playing Dead Space 3 by a friend. I hope there is still some of the terror, 'cause his screams are hilarious. :D

Wha? Spidergirl? The Heck?

From the look of things, it sounds like they missed a golden opportunity to pull a twist in the co-op. My original idea was that co-op wouldn't have significantly affected gameplay or mission structure in exchange for pulling a Fight Club-esque reveal, that Carver was a hallucination all along. That, or he was some sort of embodiment of Issac's psychosis. A drop-in, drop-out mechanic would have helped solidify the idea that Carver was an unreliable source of assistance, plot development, narration, what have you.

Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

There was supposed to be a text update to head off the "well it wasn't scary anyways" people at the pass. Unfortunately it wasn't ready in time. Here's a rough version.

Isaac's fondness for impromptu line dancing has been a fixture of the Dead Space series since its inception, but the feature (and it really is a feature) really only comes into its own with the addition of a partner/witness in Dead Space 3. Upon realizing they can effectively dance enemies to death, players are almost supernaturally compelled to do so at every opportunity. Forget that Phil Collins knock-off, this should be the tune for the game's launch trailer.

A lot of fans have been making a stink about the co-op mode, apparently out of fear that it'll destroy the series' already tenuous horror elements. Personally, I'm not so sure. I generally make it a rule not to denigrate a game for optional features (with a few exceptions which I'll go into later), which is why you don't see me grousing about Kinect support, people asking for an easy mode in Dark Souls, multiplayer in [previously single player game of choice] or Mass Effect 3's experiments with simplifying previously mandatory game elements. It strikes me as kind of silly, kind of like complaining about a game having subtitles.

I do, of course, make an exception for optional features that inform the game's basic design. I've got no problem with the concept of an in-game auction house, real money or otherwise, but the action house in Diablo 3 was ruinous. It was quite clear the game's loot mechanics, integral though they were to the gameplay's appeal, were designed with a supposedly "optional" feature in mind. And that, boys and girls, is bullshit.

Back to horror in Dead Space 3: Personally, I'm looking forward to playing through the game in co-op. Yes, it might negate the game's tension somewhat, but that only matters if you thought the series was "scary" in the first place. I don't think it is. Dead Space 2 is, in my opinion, the best third person shooter to date (though I do have a soft spot for the purity of Shadows of the Damned), and it's my favourite game of this generation, but is it a good "horror game?" No. Not at all. Like a lot of modern games, it wears the trappings of horror as a mask and uses the visual shorthand of the genre to spice up what would otherwise be a bland sci-fi universe. In essence, complaining that co-op will ruin the horror atmosphere of Dead Space is like arguing co-op undermined the expert story-telling of Double Dragon.

I am, however, very worried about the clunky cover shooting and the appalling, money grabbing, soul-sucking, cash-squeezing microtransactions. Again, I have no particular gripe with microtransactions. I generally don't use them, but they're a nice alternative to the straight-up $60 model. I don't even mind them in full-priced games, if some people want to pay to get ahead in single-player then that their prerogative, but then it becomes a matter of trust. You have to trust that the developer can implement microtransactions without tweaking the main game to make those microtransactions more appealing.

And, if I'm honest, I wouldn't trust EA to not fuck my dead grandmother for pennies.

If it were split-screen co-op I may actually play it.

Though I negate "terror" myself by being a resource whore, and viewing all enemies as glorified treasure chests. Also playing through the first two now, because damn it they're both on my shelves, and I'm seriously just amused at most of the enemies. Mowing them down with my big handgun thing > > wonder if they taste good....

Grey Carter:

And, if I'm honest, I wouldn't trust EA to not fuck my dead grandmother for pennies.

Poetry right there. Magnifcent.

I still think it's dumb not to include split-scren co-op, which for me is the best kind of co-op.

But then I guess EA's plan is to shift 2.5 million copies and then hope those 2.5 million can nag a friend into buying it to play with them.

knight steel:
Why am I reminded of this song when I read this comic:

I don't know, but that song sounds like this one:

Dead Space is basically a franchise that is basically a happy mistake in terms of its evolution.

Basically the main disappointment from consumers is that Dead Space was marketed as a horror game and from the first one you essentially got that. A game that was like Fatal Frame. You had combat that drew the line between being mobile and being heavy enough where each room often had some problem to fix. You had a silent protagonist where a good deal of the horror came form being reflected onto you from all the other characters dying around you just to find out you were just as insane as they were.

Dead Space 2 and from there on basically went full on narrative mode. Movies, shorts, cell phone games, all of them basically took the time to try and establish some crazy narrative to ensure that there would be something to do in Dead space 2. So while Dead Space 2 could of been just another dead space Visceral Games had their grubby little writing department hands on the franchise and made something that honestly is very bland in terms of writing. You went from the silent protagonist to the average joe who can't keep his freaking mouth shut which is one reason the game isn't scary anymore. Not once during Dead Space 2 did Issac or any of the characters really demonstrate fear with maybe one outburst from Ellie at the start ready to murder Issac. So Dead Space 2 basically ended up as an action game like Resident Evil 4 and hey, nothing too wrong with that people did like Resident Evil 4.

Dead Space 3 is basically and hopefully the culmination of it all because compared to how much hype Dead space 2 got with all the movies, shorts and games Visceral is basically saying they got nothing left in this horse. You really can't call Dead Space 3 a horror game at all because there is a difference between FINDING something disturbing and actually being disturbed in the moment. If Ardent's review is taken to be true is all the "horror" is in side quests then it loses all meaning because it means you aren't stumbling upon said horror but accepting said horror to come. It would be like having Jason coming to my house with some papers of consent to kill me and my friends and family. Not really scary when I can treat Jason like a mormon and say "thanks, but no thanks" and close the door.(also someone HAS to make a youtube skit of that)

But overall Dead Space is a happy mistake of evolution that basically had the two genres that most people really do like. Horror and action.

Fluxlunanos:

knight steel:
Why am I reminded of this song when I read this comic:

Dude, I seriously used to hum that while stomping on Necromorphs back in the first two. Also of note, the comic got that bit from the song wrong- its actually "I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Hold on". (Goodness knows I have heard me mum sing it enough...).

Yay some one else who just Like me Yay ^_^

redknightalex:
Now what would be interesting is, if in co-op mode, you were capable of becoming separated from your partner and run around the levels trying to find them again. Might make things a tad more interesting and bring back that sense of isolation.

Nothing like losing what you took for granted.

I don't know if that can happen in DS3, but that was Chapter 3 of Jake and Sherry's Campaign in Resident Evil 6. You spend half the level trying to stealth through the enemy HQ, occasionally helping each other remotely until you finally meet up again.

Grey Carter:

I am, however, very worried about the clunky cover shooting and the appalling, money grabbing, soul-sucking, cash-squeezing microtransactions. Again, I have no particular gripe with microtransactions. I generally don't use them, but they're a nice alternative to the straight-up $60 model. I don't even mind them in full-priced games, if some people want to pay to get ahead in single-player then that their prerogative, but then it becomes a matter of trust. You have to trust that the developer can implement microtransactions without tweaking the main game to make those microtransactions more appealing.

Without using the microtransactions at all, I pretty much maxed out my RIG halfway through the game (Even that useless stuff, like air), and weapons were finished long before that point as well. You can also find 'Ration Seals', which allow you to purchase the resource DLC with ingame currency.

Knoopdog:
From the look of things, it sounds like they missed a golden opportunity to pull a twist in the co-op. My original idea was that co-op wouldn't have significantly affected gameplay or mission structure in exchange for pulling a Fight Club-esque reveal, that Carver was a hallucination all along. That, or he was some sort of embodiment of Issac's psychosis. A drop-in, drop-out mechanic would have helped solidify the idea that Carver was an unreliable source of assistance, plot development, narration, what have you.

Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

That was the original theory for the 'Red Issac'. That he was a Marker-induced hallucination, and it was all just Issac going berserk on everything.

well, in my book, Zero times two is still zero.
So, if hey want, they can say "a billion times as much terror as Dead Space 1" - it will still be just an Action Shooter to me, no terror to be found.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
While I agree that that damn song is now stuck in my head, but how in the hell did you manage to hear it before now?

Rednex is the best thing to ever come out of Sweden. Every UN member state has laws requiring its citizens to listen to "Cotton Eye Joe" twice a month...

Didn't you know?

Oh, OT. Ummmmmm... OT... That sure looks like some fun co-op, I guess. Not that I would know.

I'm only partly interested in Dead Space 3. I liked the last two.. but I'm not sure if it's worth a buy. Be that as it may, I'm an addict, and I'm still willing to buy & play.

The problem is..... well I don't have any friends who'd play Dead Space, so.. not really worth it if a large chunk of the game is co-op oriented. Do I even *want* to play a Dead Space that has co-op? Eh.

The bottom attachment to Erin's gun either helps cook pizzas while you fire your gun or it captures Pokemon. It must be one or the other, no other answer is acceptable.

Renegade-pizza:

NightHawk21:
Also didn't know helghast were in the game now.

Damn, Why do the space Nazi's hate the space zombies? It makes no sense!!

Because the space zombies are members of the inferior races and must be purged once more! Also they might be communist... or gay... or non-germans.... wow the Nazis don't like anybody, do they?

Grahav:
Be it books, games, movies or real life the fear is weakened if you are with someone.

Always this! In horror games such as this, there is little to no fear when a friend is with you, but also you run the risk of ruining friendships ANYTIME you play a Co op game

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here