Unskippable: Orphen: Scion of Sorcery

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Orphen: Scion of Sorcery

Orphen may or may not be an actual orphan.

Watch Video

1995 called it wants its everything back.

Well, if you think about it, going into the water would be the right choice. The snakes are coming from the water, so they're not there, they're on the ship. Plus, even if there are snakes left in the water, they wouldn't expect for someone to be dumb enough to get off the ship, so it is the safest place to be. I like eating paint.

Do you mean "orphan" - a person who has lost his parents, or "often" - frequently?

Oh man, I love this game, simply because it is so awful.

You guys hit this one out of the park! I wish there was going to be a part two so much.

This is actually probably the most terrible cutscene I've ever seen

I actually played this. I hadn't watched it again for good reason. I've met Quinton Flynn (Orphen) and I wanted to ask him about it. I decided it would better not to, since he probably doesn't remember it either. I feel bad for Jennifer Hale too. From Spider-Man and Metal Gear to this...BLEH!

Peter Chordash:
You guys hit this one out of the park! I wish there was going to be a part two so much.

I laughed so much in this episode. I wish there was a part 2 too.
I won't say anything else, though, because I'd just repeat your jokes and laugh again.

MatParker116:
1995 called it wants its everything back.

No kidding. The tsundere girl at the end looked, sounded, and acted just like Asuka from Evangelion.

Hehe you guys sound like cranky PC gamers.

Now I can see why everyone used their PS2 as a DVD player instead of a gaming console when it launched.

My cousins had this game for their ps2. It look like a cool game back then

Strife2GFAQs:
I actually played this. I hadn't watched it again for good reason. I've met Quinton Flynn (Orphen) and I wanted to ask him about it. I decided it would better not to, since he probably doesn't remember it either. I feel bad for Jennifer Hale too. From Spider-Man and Metal Gear to this...BLEH!

wait that was Quinton Flynn??

::Spit take:: OMG, Sorcerous Stabber Orpehn. I love that old anime. I want the game where he meets Lina Inverse from Slayers. SSO was pretty meh with a baffling story, but Orphan Revenge was hilarious.

Wow...Couldn't be assed to find voice actors that wound at least a little bit like Cleo & Magic? Even though there's a cut from an episode right before it?

Heh, you want still scenes? Try the Blackjack OAVs. Gorgeous animation, when they're not focusing on a still painting for 5 minutes at a time.

Erm... ship. And the windows seem to already be open and the cause of the snakes... So I'm not sure what to do...

I've had it though with these snakes.

Wow that bring back memories (the 90's era anime).

Also how the heck did the main character jump out of his bed like that???

Ah, the PS2 launch lineup. How shitty you were.

Makes me glad that I didn't get one until 2005.

"Remember when all anime looked like this and we thought it was awesome?"

I remember the anime looking like that, but I do not remember thinking it was awesome.

*shudders*

I remember that game... In fact, it's still sitting on my shelf, as a reminder of past choices gone bad...

Wait a second, I don't think this game has any of the original cast.

Exbando:
Oh man, I love this game, simply because it is so awful.

Is the actual gameplay any better?

OT: Whenever I see anime like this, I like to think that momentum is a carefully hoarded resource, collected and squirelled away by the populace. They spend their meager rations carefully, hoping to both get enough food and be able to eat it before time takes it's toll. Occasionally, townsfolk pool what little they have and animate a musician or artist, hoping for a brief moment of happiness.

I remember playing this game as a kid. By the time I realized how shitty the game was, I figured I had to be almost done so I decided to tough it out. When you beat it you get a shitty ending and a message that if you want to get the better, true ending, you have to beat it with each character. NOPE! *snaps disc in half*

This was actually my very first PS2 game. Fortunately, my second one was Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.

Graham_LRR:

Graham, I challenge you to do the next video in nothing but that pirate voice from the beginning.

Graham_LRR:
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery

Watch Video

For the record... because you care so much and I know it, yes, Orphen is an orphan.

Well done guys! I almost forgot how non-animated Japanese animation could be. It's like your jokes just wrote themselves. My favorites were the pink-haired girl asking "What is this? Can I eat it?" and the gags about frame rates. Keep it up!
Next week: Assassin's Creed III, please?

...I bet the original Japanese voices were better. Or if they weren't, the English-speaking players couldn't tell. ;)

Or maybe it was just a crappy game. I wouldn't know, PS2 is outside my area of expertise.

"wait that was Quinton Flynn??"

Sure was. Thing with anime/game voice actors is you don't get paid for crap. You usually take what is given to you. The original Orphen anime was gone by Funimation/ADV (damn good dub by the way). This was just a terrible game all around. For every role like Axel, Reno, or Raiden, Flynn's probably got a million obscure things like this. At least when I met him, I made sure to reference the Human Torch instead. I kept yelling "Flame On," and it became a running gag all con weekend.

Final note: he's also a decent singer. If you meet him, he might peddle some songs he worked on. It's pretty good indie light rock stuff.

I actually went to see "Body Worlds". It's fun to see how you can blend art and science in such an intricate and meaningful way.

How the hell did Paul get away with that "Rules of the Road" comment?...

What if the guy not only has no parents, but also really like unprocessed metal? Than he'll be Orphen, orphan ore fan.

(I'm so sorry)

ewww, 4:3 is such an ugly aspect ratio.

They must've run into those shrieking eels from The Princess Bride.

canadamus_prime:
They must've run into those shrieking eels from The Princess Bride.

Not enough Wallace Shawn. That would have sold this cutscene.

The best part was how Orphen was catapulted from his bed when he heard their screams. Quality animation there folks.

Strife2GFAQs:
I feel bad for Jennifer Hale too. From Spider-Man and Metal Gear to this...BLEH!

Was she the voice actress for the girl at the end with the brother, the line-making, and the snakes? She sounds awfully familiar...

Okay, I'll admit it. I remember her from Totally Spies. I'm pretty sure that voice is the exact same as the voice of Mandy (another sassy whiner girl) from that show.

Ugh, this one hurt my eyes it looks so terrible...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here