The Big Picture: Tooned Out

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Tooned Out

Watch to find out just how much television has perverted videogames.

Watch Video

Is it the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? Or is that considered good?

okay What the hell is with that kids voice? he looks like a teenager and is given a hot catgirl but my 6 year old son has a deeper voice than him...

The straight-to-video Super Mario movie will for ever haunt my dreams... along with the Zelda TV show.

Kuomon:

He mentioned that one in an Escape to the Movies once, and the approach was nowhere near as negative as some of the shows he just mentioned.

It's funny that, if you turned pretty much any one of those into an anime, it probably would have been better, because the WTF line is way lower than in the US.

For the record, the Zelda TV show RULED. My money would have been the OTHER sonic TV show, but maybe not...

Oh, God...

Gear up, boys. We're going down to the Power team on this one...

Oh god it is power team. I remember that cartoon...

Kuomon:

No...not D&D.

I know what it is...so for those who don't, I can tell you in a spoiler tag, but I'll wait until someone actually WANTS me to tell. I actually saw that cartoon, and wondered why several things were done WRONG with the games used.

rayen020:
okay What the hell is with that kids voice? he looks like a teenager and is given a hot catgirl but my 6 year old son has a deeper voice than him...

That's the 80's for you. People say anime is weird but they never pull creepy stuff like that... they pull other kinds of creepy stuff

I'd guess

This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.

This video makes me want to call my parents and apologize for the hours upon hours I spent watching this dreck.

I remember Darkstaklers, and then I remeber why I didn't get into the show. That kid was an idiot.

Mojo:
This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.

WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.

Sometimes I'm glad I missed the nineties. Oh I there, just completely oblivious.

I've just realised how retro Mummies Alive! actually is.

And if its is the power team (quick check on youtube) oh god! what is this mess

I liked the Pole Position cartoon. Of course, I was 7 at the time. Let's just say it doesn't hold up.

And sorry, Captain N was terrible. I actually preferred some of Nintendo's third-party franchises to most of its first-party ones, and I hated that whiny, self-important brat taking a crap on Megaman and Simon Belmont every Saturday morning. Even Megaman's shittiest weapons had more intrinsic value than Kevin.

Kuomon:

It's mixed. It was a lot better than most cartoons of its era. But it had some problems. Read to near the end of this former writer's blog post to learn about how The Complainer is Always Wrong.

I think it's going to be the infamous Zelda cartoon.

No Bob, for the love of GOD DON'T DO IT!

Oh yeah, I remember the Basketball Playing Tire Sword Jacket Tomatoes! That was my favorite as a kid.

I'm guessing it's either the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon or the Dragon's Lair cartoon.

This episode reminds me that there's going to be a new Pac-Man TV series coming out soon... So far, it doesn't look that impressive. At all. :/

Also, CR! of Familiar Faces did an entire episode on Pole Position, check it out:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/15709-ep014

He even did Battletoads, check it!

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/28718-episode-44-battletoads-part-2

Oh, and I know what Bob's talking about. He mentioned it in a previous episode, and, once again, CR!'s done a bit on it... with whatever footage he could actually find from the show:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/13302-ff05

Tenmar:
Oh god it is power team. I remember that cartoon...

I'm a little surprised someone else knows what this is, but I know I shouldn't be.

Maybe I should be surprised how many people DON'T know it, but that depends on the age demographic of the site. I mean, the show premiered in the way early 90s, so it may be before some members' time.

Holy hell those are scary.

As soon as Bob started playing the Felicia clips, I was yelling NO! YOU DO NOT REACT THAT WAY to the kid.

Oh and one last thing....

Chessrook44:

Mojo:

WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.

Oh, never knew there were two (or more). I only ever saw one. A after a quick Google search I'm pretty sure it was Sonic Underground.

EDIT:

Yes, that's the one!

Well, i cant imagine anything being worse than the Nintendo anime adaptations.

Of things that never made it outside of Japan at least...

I'm actually going to defend the Darkstalkers cartoon. I mean it was urban fantasy series with a kid who was a mythology geek and yes Potter was published but not quite superbig yet.

They did a great job with the set up. had some nice mix of episodes, character arcs and included bits that got me into asian culture.

think of it as a goofier Mighty Max where we weren't as stuck with the Capbearer.

I know its not in the feel of the original videogame series but.. c'mon a series that has transgender you attacks and this much fanservice isn't being humiliated by including a kid perspective character. Especially as, get this, he wasn't in every episode and really was just a perspective person. Plus I prefer this felicia who's a little saucy and witty but apologies nothing with the clueless bimbo of canon. Also morrigan was appropriately a scheming bitch, even with the ugly bat stretch pants.

Gildedtongue:
Oh, God...

Gear up, boys. We're going down to the Power team on this one...

There are other who know about this show, I thought I destroyed them all, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Wait? Pole Postion was based on a video game? (I don't remember that show but my bro did).

Also gee thanks, I didn't really needed to know the non main stream videogame based cartoon shows, it make them look appealing!

Also, woah woah woah! Even if that US Felicia is like a censoured version to the original Felicia we know, was that kid gay or a anti furry (or just not into cat girls)? (I did knew about that cartoon but I never bother to look it up to see how bad it was.)

The only reason I even heard of the darkstalkers cartoon before now was because Retuspurae did a mst3k-style riff of the pilot episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTEelxz3N-o

Fun fact: after the battletoad series bombed, the group behind it went on to due Adventures of sonic the hedgehog, and made even "less" sense.

Next week time for the power team(aka the acclaim captain N)

Kuomon:

The Dungeons & Dragons cartoon isn't based on a video game, so no. Also, that cartoon had too many positive aspect to really call bad. I had watched some of it recently, so I can't call it good with a straight face. Maybe if it was not dumbed down so much, it would work.

I guess Bob find the Pac-man and Dragon's Lair cartoons to be not that bad. Whatever. I find them wince-inducing because I wasted a good deal of my life watching that crap.

A good video game cartoon was Earthworm Jim. I guess Earthworm Jim has since fallen from grace as a property because of a few crappy games and some unfortunate comments by the creator, the nature of which I forget but don't care enough to look up. But the show had an anarchic sense of humor that elevated it into something actually entertaining while shilling the games and toy lines.

That's kind of the thing about all these shows from the 80's and later. They wouldn't exist if the law had not been changed. For you young'uns, there used to be laws on what could and could not be in children's programming, including what could and could not be advertized. I'm no lawyer, but under this law, childrens' shows based on products such as toy lines or video games would have been illegal. So in the 70's, we had all kinds of innovative cartoons with fresh, new characters. I'm not sure how Super Friends got around this. As I said, I'm not a lawyer. But in the early 80's these laws were repealed or relaxed and suddenly animators were making shows based on popular toy lines. He-Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe, etc. I'm sure it was the same for video games.

Just think how many of these old shows that you all grew up with if these laws remained in place. No G.I. Joe. No Transformers. No Thundercats (probably). The mind boggles as it became obvious that shows from the mid-to-late 80's were formulated the same as toy lines. I remember one show called Spiral Zone that probably had a toy line, but I never saw it (for the opposite, see: Voltron II) but it was obviously designed to shill toys. The good guys and bad guys had a smallish, collectable group of characters and a couple monsters thrown in. I just find it interesting how this formula is at once transparent yet somehow compelling. For me, at least.

Kid telling the hot cat-lady to get the hell out of his room? Alpha as fuck.

Just to say I liked a lot Pole Position when I was a kid and never knew it was an "adaptation" of the videogame. I think they did a hell of a job with the material they had.

Captain N had a really really good premise, but terrible execution. Even so, I remember loving it when I was 5. I loved The Legend Zelda and Super Mario TV shows too.

I'd love to see a Captain N re-boot. Not that I think they could get Simon or Megaman for it.

Annoying Pit -> Modern Pit
Frog Megaman -> (Kirby, Didi Kong, or a Pokemon)
Fem Simon -> Fox or Samus
Anoying Princess -> Princess Rosalina
Game Boy -> Rob

Brain in the Jar Mother Brain -> Giygas
Eggplant Wizard -> Eggplant Wizard
King Hippo -> Wario
Doctor Wily -> Super Metroid Monster Mother Brain

Add a modern Zelda and Mario Cartoon to cross over with and you're golden. I'd love a Metroid tv show too, but then you'd loose those characters.

I may have to brush up on my retro gaming history, because 'SwordBallTomatoTyreVest' means nothing to me...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here