The Big Picture: Tooned Out

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I know of the exact show Movie Bob is hinting too.
I am not saying its name, I wouldn't do that to Bob.

No Bob your wrong, my eight year old self is telling me that the Pole Position cartoon was awesome... and also you smell of poo (*sigh* me from the past)

Even though I've played various incarnations of the Pole Position game I even remember the cartoon I had never realised that they where in the same franchise.

I liked Sonic Underground...

Oh god -- I had no idea most of these existed. Kind of bummed that I missed the Darkstalkers cartoon -- I was busy writing my own fan fiction after I played a few times at my local arcade. Of course, most of these were probably airing Saturday morning, where I would have to fight both my sisters for the TV, until I got my first paper route HOLY SHIT I'M OLD.

darksakul:

Oh god a second time -- I did watch this one -- teeth-grinding in frustration -- I remember a sentient tomato that I wanted to beat with a golf club every time he spoke?

darksakul:
I am not saying its name, I wouldn't do that to Bob.

The interesting thing is there was a completely separate Bigfoot cartoon from the same animation company that made G.I. Joe and Transformers.

*looks up Power Team* I just have to assume this never aired in Canada, because I have NEVER heard of this show before. Not even a LITTLE. And TV RAISED me!

Bayushi_Kouya:

Oh god a second time -- I did watch this one -- teeth-grinding in frustration -- I remember a sentient tomato that I wanted to beat with a golf club every time he spoke?

I see you know what show I am speaking off. +1 for getting the reference, and another +9 for having been traumatized as a child with awful cartoons. Even He-man and the Masters of the Universe was not as bad, as at least with HE-man with the bad writing and el-cheapo animation had its good points.

Holy cow, they made a Tireappleswordvestbasketball cartoon!? That was my favorite game on the Buttonbuttoncartrigebuttonswiremorebuttons console.

I used to watch Sonic Underground all the time as a kid and honestly don't mind it today I really it's a matter of taste but I have to say that Darkstalkers kid is an idiot.

*looks up at the other posts* God blarging dammit...I try for a dramatic reveal and planned to use a spoiler so the surprise isn't ruined, and look what happens!

This...is gonna be interesting, that's for sure.

CAPTCHA: back to basics

I very highly doubt that as there is NOTHING basic about Power Team.

Kuomon:
Is it the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? Or is that considered good?

That's what I was thinking.

No Mention of the Mortal Kombat Cartoon bob? Or are you saving that for something else?

1: I'd argue that Morrigan is more the face of the Dark Stalkers franchise than Felecia.

2: The Night Warriors anime based off Dark Stalkers wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, to be sure, but it wasn't too bad.

3: Ummmm yeah, you wake up to find a voluptuous cat-girl who (at least in the game) has no clothes but rather conveniently placed bands of fur and your first instinct is "GTFO OF MY ROOM!"? Can't say i agree with that one kid. :P

Also, seemed like his voice was a lot younger than the way his character was drawn. Like a 9 year old's voice in a 15 year old's body.

As for that cartoon based off the racing game...yeah, Bob had my reaction spot-on before the clip was even done playing: "God damn, that's a LOT of 80's right there for you."

I actually remember watching that Darkstalkers cartoon WAY back when I was 5-6 years old. I remember I really liked the design of everything. I don't think I ever even connected that it was from those games though.

Gildedtongue:
Oh, God...

Gear up, boys. We're going down to the Power team on this one...

I remember when they showed up in captain snes, and I just assumed it was a joke.

I have to say, I kinda dug the pole position carton as a kid. not as much as Jayce, transformers and turtles, but...

Wait they made a child friendly darkstalker cartoon? That's like making a child friendly shin megami tensei game o wait they already did that um it's like making a child friendly highlander cartoon what do you mean they also did that? What's next a Rambo cartoon ?o wait that also exists....did television producers have any shame In the 80 and 90?

Also that kid reaction isn't that weird asexuality does exists I'm about 15 and I'm about as interested in girls as a 5 year old.

Jetsetneo:
No Mention of the Mortal Kombat Cartoon bob? Or are you saving that for something else?

Goddamit, not only I had to remember that darkstalkers awfulness, now I get Goreless Kombat flashbacks.

I am glad that I didn't watch Battletoads. Dark Queen didn't deserve that.

The real question in my mind is; if after making a dozen video game cartoons that don't last more than a half dozen episodes because they're bad why did they keep doing it? It is the very definition of insanity. Either nobody stopped to ask 'Is it good?' or the answer was 'It's for kids, and they're too dumb to notice if it isn't, despite overwhelming evidence to the contary.'

But then again for better or worse the genre died. Video game animu and Robot Chicken sketches parodying video games don't count. Or webcomics. Or... Hm, now that I think about it I think the genre kinda mutated instead of dying.

I remember watching the Pac Man cartoon once. Adding in pellets to the cartoon was very awkward.

Urgh, so many bad TV shows. I had to turn the volume off for Pole Position.

ivc392:
The straight-to-video Super Mario movie will for ever haunt my dreams... along with the Zelda TV show.

Straight-to-video movie? When did that happen?

Fordo:
For the record, the Zelda TV show RULED. My money would have been the OTHER sonic TV show, but maybe not...

I hope your not talking about SATAM, that cartoon was the hedgehogs bollocks!

Damn you JonTron for introducing me to Bubsy...

I recommend watching the Retsupurae riff on the Darkstalkers pilot.

I also just watched the first episode of Power Team...

Dear god...

Oh good lordy. The Power Team was godawful, although I will admit that the animated portion of Video Power was probably the least awful part of the show. Even as an kid I could tell that "Johnny Arcade" wasn't human, he was grown in a lab as an as attempt to weaponize "extreme attitude."

I won't step on Mr. Bob's toes any further but yeah I look forward to the next show.

I actually remember watching Saturday Supercade as a kid, usually while eating my Donky Kong cereal (It was basically Cap'n Crunch) and the shows weren't terrible for their time. Only in retrospect do Mario and Donky Kong come off as completely off character but it's somewhat forgivable since the NES was still a few years away from release in the states and Mario hadn't begin to build up any kind of mythos yet.

I also recall rather enjoying the Kangaroo, Pitfall and Space Ace segments. To be fair though old age has clouded the specifics of any of those cartoons from my memory.

First Pole Position was awesome when i was under 10 and i still like the opening.

Second WHY DIDN'T WE GET THE DARKSTALKERS CARTOON IN THE UK! I would have watched it even if I would have had to have the sound on mute.

What about Sonic Sat AM?

The power team was not that bad, and video power was amazing if cheesy.

The Mortal Kombat cartoon and the Double Dragon are the worst video game cartoons, IMO. Especially the Double Dragon one with its blatant toyetic content and a episode that says NO to drugs. Mortal Kombat is funny because all characters are in their mid-life crisis and are absolute assholes quoting Jax: "Funny, coming from a loser who got her partner killed."

"My Mom gets mad when she finds strange catgirls in my room."
I freakin lost it.

I never heard of the Darkstalkers cartoon, but there's a pretty good OVA anime series out there as well.

Oh my god Bob, what have you wrought!? I could have gone my entire life without having to see that DarkStalkers cartoon. I mean that kid....Oh my god that kid! *random hot cat girl in his room....tells her to get out* What? What?! WHAT?!

Wait I have to ask because of the basketball... Shaq Fu? Movie Bob if this is the case, for the love of gawd tell me (privately) so I can gloat just a little next week.

Sonic SatAM was great, at a larger portion of game based anime is awesome :)

Ho-ly shit, I completely forgot Darkstalkers was a thing, and it was a thing that I tried watching.

It made zero sense and I remember that kid being incredibly annoying.

I kinda wish that wasn't brought back to my attention. :/

themilo504:
Wait they made a child friendly darkstalker cartoon? That's like making a child friendly shin megami tensei game o wait they already did that um it's like making a child friendly highlander cartoon what do you mean they also did that? What's next a Rambo cartoon ?o wait that also exists....did television producers have any shame In the 80 and 90?

They made a cartoon out of Toxic Avenger... Toxic Avenger!! That has to be one of the less child-friendly properties of the 80s.

Hah. Now I actually want to check out the Darkstalkers cartoon.

And next week is the Power Team. Celestia help us all.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here