The Big Picture: Tooned Out

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Right Hook:
Kid telling the hot cat-lady to get the hell out of his room? Alpha as fuck.

No, no, no
I figured Harry out
He is gay
That would totally explain his behavior

o.0

No mention of Double Dragon? really? that one was WORSE the Dark Stalkers or Street Fighter by miles.

also

Power Team eh? I remember that not being bad .... but then, I was rather young >.>

Good Lord, there actually was an american Darkstalkers show?, I remember watching a few episodes of the anime and it was pretty awesome, but this... this... I don't even...

And what a teaser you got there Bob, I can't wait for next week :D

The US Street Fighter cartoon was universally despised? I dunno, I watched it when I was in the 12-14 range and enjoyed it for what it was. Maybe I need to watch it again. There were some hammy moments, of course, but Street Fighter itself is hammy.

Kind of surprised Bob didn't bring up Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, but that's one I kind of enjoyed too. Except for the whole, Nightwolf stays in and takes care of the computers, thing.

So many bad cartoons...

Need... good cartoons...

Kuomon:
Is it the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? Or is that considered good?

No, he already had an episode on it.

Besides, it isn't a VIDEO game.

Chessrook44:

Mojo:
This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.

WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.

There have been 4 in North America to date.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: Based around Sonic 2 With Sonic and Tails and was largely slapstick and silly. Take Looney Toons but replace Bugs Bunny with Sonic.

Sonic the Hedgehog (aka Sonic SatAM): Much more serious and deals with the Freedom Fighters and Robotnik (yes, robotnik, this is pre Sonic Adventure) actually being a threat.

Sonic Underground: Along the darker vein of Sonic SatAM but Sonic and his two siblings (names Sonya and Manik) who are the future rulers of Mobius and separated at birth due to a prophetic vision of doom. Reunited, they search for their mother (the overthrown queen) to remove Robotnik from power and restore the world. Apart from Sonic and Robotnik, there's nothing linking the series to the game.

Sonic X: A translated anime that is more tightly tied to the modern games. No Mobius, the characters (at least the anthro ones and Eggman) all mesh to either the games or the comics and the story relates to if not directly copies from the modern sonic titles.

Personally, I like all of them. Granted AoStH is far and away different from SatAM, but they weren't meant to be the same story anyways. The only common theme in all of them was Sonic and Friends vs. Robotnik and each had their own way with dealing with it.

Dang it MovieBob, you're making me remember all those shows! While most of them where around before I was old enough to watch them, I do remember that Darkstalkers cartoon very well: holy hell was it bad! I also remember Sonic as well, but I mostly watched The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM and Underground I never saw). TAoSH was cheesy, but I enjoyed it as a kid, same with the The Super Mario Super Show as well. Can't wait to hear next week's episode, Power Hour gonna get roasted!

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
Holy hell those are scary.

As soon as Bob started playing the Felicia clips, I was yelling NO! YOU DO NOT REACT THAT WAY to the kid.

Oh and one last thing....

you clever bastard

Company's in the 90's were so stupid. I mean EA today might be greedy but they at least know who they're marketing to and how to get their interests. These company's just wasted their marketing potential with these go no where spin off cartoons shoved off on C rate cartoon producers JEEZ! One day there will be video games movie/cartoon era like the 90's were to comic book cartoons and 2000's have been for comic book movies, where studio's and their IP company's realize that they need to actually put alot of effort into their spin off material if they want it to grow their IP's profile and NOT damage it.

blackrave:

Right Hook:

No, no, no
I figured Harry out
He is gay

Maybe his dad went through a terrible divorce and he learnt to stay away from women

Didn't Like Sonic X,i thought it sucked, i really couldn't tolerate Chris because like SatAM was fondly remembered for it's Human characters (Snively and Eggman don't count). X wasn't inspired by the comics in anyway but SatAM did influence the comic (which is technically the second series after the mini)

ivc392:
The straight-to-video Super Mario movie will for ever haunt my dreams... along with the Zelda TV show.

Well excUUUUUUUUse me, Princess

So, Harry "Grimoree", huh? That wouldn't be anything like Harry "Grimwhar", would it? As in, a book of spells?

Some of you may have spotted the common thread among all those horrible 80s cartoons. The bane of animated television for the era: DiC.

Apparently they made enough money doing this scholck to keep getting hired to do stuff, but the only one I can recall (other than G.I. Joe) that didn't amount to crap on a crap cracker was The Real Ghostbusters. And that may only be because the other Ghostbusters cartoon was done by the one studio with cheaper animation than theirs: Filmation.

Aside from old standbys like Heathcliff and Inspector Gadget, DiC is responsible for all the Mario and Sonic stuff, Captain N, the Bill and Ted cartoon, the New Kids cartoon, the Hulk Hogan cartoon, the Karate Kid cartoon, the list goes on.

"DiC: At Least We're Not Filmation"

What shocks me most is that in the Darkstalkers segment, according to the few glimpses we get here, Morrigan Aensland is a BAD guy.

Last time I checked, Morrigan was one of the protagonists, right? I mean, I am not that into the Darkstalkers mythos, and I know she's a succubus and all, but I thought that she was one of the GOOD guys, if not THE good guy.

Of course, I might be entirely wrong on this...

I remember loving the Kwirk game as a kid. :)

I've been looking for that game to have on my Game Boy again for years...

At first I didn't know what Power Team was, then I looked it up. Wow I actually remember watching that show on TV once... once.

-puts on riot gear-

Get ready... a storm is coming.

You're got Felicia.. in your bed... and you want her to leave!?

blackrave:

Right Hook:

No, no, no
I figured Harry out
He is gay

I don't know, I think even a gay 13yr old would try and hit that.

actually if any character in Darkstalkers defines the series it would be Morrigan due to her importance to the mythology. Heck, her and Demitri are pretty much Ken and Ryu

i usually never comment until after finishing the video. but god! make it stop!

Funny, my Mum finds strange catgirls in my room all the time.......

Looking back, Captain N was terrible. Absolutely terrible. But I LOVED it as a kid. I didn't even have a Nintendo and Iwanted to play the Captain N game.

I'm surprised that didn't make it into NintendoLand yet.

Edit:
Also my initial thought wasn't a video game - but that show where Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson and Wayne Gretsky formed a super-team together.

I had fun watching Darkstalkers. But then again Felicia was my first and only waifu I ever had.

I didn't know about any of these shows except for TMNT.The games I knew of, the tv shows, no.

Ukomba:
Captain N had a really really good premise, but terrible execution. Even so, I remember loving it when I was 5. I loved The Legend Zelda and Super Mario TV shows too.

I completely agree, it is a really good premise (I mean even today wreck-it Ralph did pretty good with a similar world)

You might want to give the comic a look
http://cnn.captainn.net/com_issueguide.html

It was somebody at Nintendo watching the cartoon and then going "we can do this better"
I mostly read it because Samus Aran replaced Belmont as "the big guy", and did her a lot more justice that expected.
Actually they did a lot of characters better than the cartoon.

A new interpretation would be a great idea.
As I mentioned Wreck-it Ralph showed that this kind of world can sell, heck, Super Smash Brothers Brawl already have an established "Nintendo world" where crossovers are possible.
How hard would it be to insert a Captain N into that.

blackrave:

Right Hook:

No, no, no
I figured Harry out
He is gay

Not so sure, look at the other clip with them sitting at the table talking.
She's taller than him and yet he's looking down most of the time he's talking to her.
He's not looking at her eyes, that's for sure.

Chessrook44:

Mojo:
This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.

WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.

There were THREE Sonics series that I know of:
Sonic the Hedgehog (Better known as SatAM) which was the good one,

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog which was the so bad it should have been nuked from orbit, and

Sonic Underground which wasn't as bad as Adventures but didn't get to the good level of SatAM either.

The Battletoads cartoon DID have one fun idea that I liked. In order to do all the exaggerated transformations the characters did in the video game (change their head into a battering ram while running, turning their foot into a giant boot, etc.) they had to hype themselves up by making outrageous boasts: http://youtu.be/GlRMunEPAYg?t=12m28s

It just seems like a fun thing I could see a lot of kids doing - I know I would have.

As a side-note, I totally understand Bob's sentiment with Felicia. I mean, I don't think I would try anything if I was his age, but being annoyed would be the FURTHEST thing from my mind.

I still think the concept for Captain N was a good one, and the execution wasn't that bad on all levels.. but even back then I hated what they did with some of the characters.

Speaking as someone who who went out with a furry, if she dresses like a cat she is (likely) kinky as fuck.

That kid was an idiot.

Okay.

I clicked on your video prepared to do battle, Bob. I thought "He's going to trash the Darkstalkers series?! I'll stop him with He might notice one of several disapproving forum posts! That show was awesome."

I had no idea that the US had made its own, despicable counterpart to the anime.

And I'm not about to thank you for filling me in. That was hideous.

RJ 17:
1: I'd argue that Morrigan is more the face of the Dark Stalkers franchise than Felecia.

2: The Night Warriors anime based off Dark Stalkers wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, to be sure, but it wasn't too bad.

3: Ummmm yeah, you wake up to find a voluptuous cat-girl who (at least in the game) has no clothes but rather conveniently placed bands of fur and your first instinct is "GTFO OF MY ROOM!"? Can't say i agree with that one kid. :P

1. I think Felicia isn't the face of Darkstalkers, but two or 3 other body parts (giggedy).
3. If we're talking 1/2 cat, 1/2 girl, my biggest concern at that moment isn't "AAUUUUGHH!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY ROOM?!" but if her downstairs part are compatible with my own.

That toad at 3:24 turned his forearm into a drill. Holy crap, he's got Spiral Power!

Bob the kid clearly hasn't hit puberty. Just listen to his voice, it sounds like a high pitched 8 year old.

Seriously how can anyone stand listening to that kid?

Darth_Payn:

RJ 17:
1: I'd argue that Morrigan is more the face of the Dark Stalkers franchise than Felecia.

2: The Night Warriors anime based off Dark Stalkers wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, to be sure, but it wasn't too bad.

3: Ummmm yeah, you wake up to find a voluptuous cat-girl who (at least in the game) has no clothes but rather conveniently placed bands of fur and your first instinct is "GTFO OF MY ROOM!"? Can't say i agree with that one kid. :P

1. I think Felicia isn't the face of Darkstalkers, but two or 3 other body parts (giggedy).
3. If we're talking 1/2 cat, 1/2 girl, my biggest concern at that moment isn't "AAUUUUGHH!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY ROOM?!" but if her downstairs part are compatible with my own.

1. I will give her this, she DOES have the....ahem...."bounciest" fighting stance in the series....
3. She was created in Japan, of course they are. :P

Not even gonna lie...watched half of the awful 80s cartoon's and all of the 90s. Even the shows I knew were crap still got watched...like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. It filled in a spot nicely between Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles...

The Gentleman:

Kuomon:
Is it the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? Or is that considered good?

He mentioned that one in an Escape to the Movies once, and the approach was nowhere near as negative as some of the shows he just mentioned.

It's funny that, if you turned pretty much any one of those into an anime, it probably would have been better, because the WTF line is way lower than in the US.

If they turned any of those shows into anime the main character's sack would have te to drop and every female within a 600 mi radius would have a bustline the extended a good 5inches.

Don't look at me like that, you were thinking it too.

I constently feel left out from late 80's early 90's video game nostogia, this time I'm kind of glad I was born in 1990 and missed some of this stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here