Reel Physics: The Avengers - Helicarrier

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Well despite being able to barely follow alot of the the math presented this is still a fun show to watch.

The expression you are looking for is "et cetera" so please, for the love of everything holy, stop saying "exetera". It's "etc", not "ect". Huuuuuuuge pet peeve!

Is there where I suggest questions for future episodes? If not, forgive me. Here goes: Is it possible for Batman to have ejected from "The Bat" and cleared the blast radius of the bomb after seeing him in the bat still carrying the bomb with 5 seconds left on the timer? The big reveal was that he had fixed the auto-pilot, but he'd have had to ejected and accelerated to a sufficient enough speed to clear the bombs 6 mile (correct me if I'm wrong on that) blast radius in less than 5 seconds. He would have had to nearly instantly gotten up to speeds in excess of 1.2 miles per second, right? Assuming he ejected with with no less than 5 seconds left? Wouldn't the G-Forces crush him?

rhizhim:

Anakinnnn:

4.) Don't forget, to add insult to injury, this thing stayed aloft with only three nacelles working throughout a good portion of the movie without any real danger of it falling or even pitching to one side. So really you have to work back from redundancy here and consider this thing needing enough thrust to work off of TWO of these nacelles if you want to go by aircraft safety standards. Most likely even then it would almost have to be one rear and one front and then separate them one to each side to stay aloft.

Also, I am only willing to argue about any of this if your post is longer than mine. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for all of your feedback. This week was insane and it's nice to know people are watching us and also are passionate about the topics we cover. It seems you guys are just like us!

Thanks for watching and supporting the show!

Jason Dean and Colby Dane
REEL PHYSICS

it wasnt ment to insult (any of the things your calculated or presented).

throughout the marvel history the helicarrier always went critical and on collision course with anything whatsoever whenever one narcelle "misfunctioned". its was just another stupid plot device to bring in more tension in the story.

but at the same time it made any reasonable person in the world question the existence of a massive, easily to shoot down flying target, which effectiveness was barely shown in some comics and moreso in the avengers movie.

in other words, the S.H.I.E.L.D. organisation spend a lot of money for Awesome, but Impractical

and people trying to defend it by saying its made of some sort of alloy with vibranium, which is not only super light and can absorb massive amount of forces but is also pretty rare.

or it has also an allow of adamantium which is even heavier than steel.

which still makes that S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier pretty much useless since even when all the narcelles went offline simultaneously, the carrier would experience critical damadge/total loss if it were to hit the ground no matter of what bullshit, all forces absorbing almost infinite durability alloy it would be made of.
and that without even thinking with how much g force everyone on the carrier would be crushed horribly on impact.

in short: your episode was nice as always. my complain was just another example of "comics are weird".

also the more people discuss (and perhaps complain) about an episode, the more they care for your show. so thats a good thing?

and to "We already lose people with how far out our calculations are and we don't want to complicate the show any further.", well thats something people have to deal with it if they are trying to calculate something that doesnt even exist and is made out of made up materials.

No No NO! You have it ALL WRONG! It's made of pure Handwavium. ;)

LadyRhian:

rhizhim:

snip

No No NO! You have it ALL WRONG! It's made of pure Handwavium. ;)

handwavium? mother of god! Eureka!

those crafty dungeon masters.

Let's not forget about the scene where they lose two of their engines and still manage to stay aloft despite that. Makes it seem even more ridiculous.

Anakinnnn:
-Snipped for brevity-

Since you're here, did you at any point look into how much it would cost? That would be pretty interesting in itself.
But then again, the show's not called reel economics.

kickassfrog:

Anakinnnn:
-Snipped for brevity-

Since you're here, did you at any point look into how much it would cost? That would be pretty interesting in itself.
But then again, the show's not called reel economics.

We never got into costs and really haven't done it before but that's an interesting idea. The price of materials changes dramatically all the time and it would be hard to figure it out except for the moment we estimate it... especially labor. The math involved is fairly timeless... but the costs associated with it would vary so widely that it would date our episodes if someone went back and watched them a couple of years from now. ;)

It's something to keep in mind and if it is interesting enough, we may try to throw that bit of trivia in.

Thanks for watching and supporting the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

tdylan:
Is there where I suggest questions for future episodes? If not, forgive me. Here goes: Is it possible for Batman to have ejected from "The Bat" and cleared the blast radius of the bomb after seeing him in the bat still carrying the bomb with 5 seconds left on the timer? The big reveal was that he had fixed the auto-pilot, but he'd have had to ejected and accelerated to a sufficient enough speed to clear the bombs 6 mile (correct me if I'm wrong on that) blast radius in less than 5 seconds. He would have had to nearly instantly gotten up to speeds in excess of 1.2 miles per second, right? Assuming he ejected with with no less than 5 seconds left? Wouldn't the G-Forces crush him?

And dropping into the ocean doesn't really do all that much in the way of averting a blast, according to somewhere on TVTropes (Not linked to save YOUR time).

Also, does anyone know where the radiation spike was supposed to be coming from? I thought it was a fusion device, and if hydrogen was radioactive we'd be seriously screwed. Not to mention the fact that it would literally appear as a drop in the ocean from satellite imagery.

rhizhim:
i really never got the hype about the carrier.

that thing goes to shit if even one of the 4 turbines has a malfunction.

It was still flying with 3 wasn't it?

theultimateend:

rhizhim:

yes, flying towards the ground.

rhizhim:

theultimateend:

rhizhim:

yes, flying towards the ground.

Beats me, been a while since I saw the movie.

Seeing as this is the marvel universe with marvel physics, I didn't find any problems with the carrier other than its obvious weaknesses.

They should have adapted some shield technology to make it impervious to kinetic and energy attacks.

kickassfrog:

tdylan:

And dropping into the ocean doesn't really do all that much in the way of averting a blast, according to somewhere on TVTropes (Not linked to save YOUR time).

Also, does anyone know where the radiation spike was supposed to be coming from? I thought it was a fusion device, and if hydrogen was radioactive we'd be seriously screwed. Not to mention the fact that it would literally appear as a drop in the ocean from satellite imagery.

He probably ejected the second catwoman et. al couldn't see him anymore. That way he could live out Alfred's dream. I imagine he was considerably further away (and that the autopilot worked).

The rotors exist only for air stability and effective attitude adjustment.

The carrier uses advanced anti-gravity technology combining studies of the Tessaract and stolen artifacts from multiple extraterrestrial sources. Power is derived from antimatter reactors. Simply: the carrier is immune to gravity due to the gravity defying tech. The rotors help adjust attitude and altitude.

Aaaaaannnnddddd... I just pulled that out of my ass. It's a comic book. Iron Man already defies most laws of physics and we're worried about the helicarrier? Awesome-sauce.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here