Dead Space 3 Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dead Space 3 Review

Dead Space 3 may not be scary, but it's still a damn good time.

Read Full Article

I've played the demo, i bored me to hell. I'm not going to bite.

Why do I get the nagging feeling that accusations of selling out will ensue?

Well, there's nothing wrong with a sci-fi action game. Maybe I'll get it...used of course.

I played most the first (haven't tried the second or prequel yet), and it wasn't scary at all, so the whole "going more action and less scary" is fine with me. Need to get around to trying DS2.

Well it's good to hear they didn't become 2013's Resident Evil 6. Still it's a pretty big draw back for me that you're not getting the full story unless you're dragging someone else with you. I guess I'll wait til it's cheap and then pick up a copy for me and my buddy.

Does the story end on a cliffhanger? I always liked how Dead Space 1 and 2 both told complete stories. If they never made sequels to either of them you still had a sense of closure.

erttheking:

let's get it out of the way ^_^

OP:ESCAPIST HOW MUCH DID EA PAY YOU TO SELL OUT, how can you support the micro transactions when they are everything bad about the industry,you say it's not a horror game but still give it a good review?

You have become an EA drone, who compromise your dignity for a quick buck you DISGUST ME T_T.

I liked the Demo more than i expected, but at the same time i feel like i'm still burned by Assassins Creed 3...wich was a well made game overall and not short on new features, but still felt weaker for changing up too much or sometimes too little compared to thier well made predecessors.

Also you can only take so much of something before it loses it's effect (in this case creeping through dark corridors while Necromorphs jump out of ventilation shafts), and while i don't mind the more action-based focus THAT much, it's still having to deal with some weak new features (The short encounters with human enemies in the Demo was kinda awful) and a less thrilling atmosphere (almost unavoidably) that makes this one a hard sell.

(Surprisingly, it would've been easier for me if it had actual split-screen CoOp)

I know I can't be the only one who found the opening mission to DS3 WAY scarier than the heavy handed introduction of the necromorphs in the Original game.

Susan Arendt:
Probably more handy with a gun than he should be

After two whole games, he'd better know how to shot straight Susan!

erttheking:

What are you talking about? Bioware didn't make this game!

I liked this review... Also really glad to hear the creep-factor's still there. Then again I'm one of those who didn't find the first game that scary but, I love the look, feel and atmosphere of these games so, happy to hear that's still intact.
This goes right on my maybe-list!
Because I'm horribly horribly broke and haven't been able to buy newer console games for a while. That list's getting long. But this get's to sneak in around the top.

Is that the N7 DLC armour being used in the video review?

I'm so torn about this title!
I loved the original Dead Space but then Dead Space 2 felt so unnecessary, even with all the character and world development.

The most recent trailer got me interested because of Isaac's character arc seemingly coming to a close but even then...dropping 40 on it seems excessive.

Susan Arendt:
-snip-

Did you play any of the missions in Co-op?

The day I buy an EA product will be a cold day in hell indeed.

I feel like the first few minutes of this need to be shared:

tmande2nd:

Wow, the internet continues to amaze me. I could actually feel the self-righteous pretentiousness emanating from my computer, congratulations.

Honestly, this game had no business focusing on co op. It's lost sight of what it originally wanted to be in trying to be mass market.

Pass.

erttheking:

I really hope we don't devolve into a discussion like that. I thought it was a fair review. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the co-op and micro transaction aspects, but I am still looking forward to the game. I broadly saw Susan's review as "It is what it is- and that's not bad." It doesn't look like micro transactions buffet you in the face every five minutes like say... Fable 3 did. (I will never forgive that game for making me dislike the sound of John Cleese's voice. That should not have happened.) I would say that the co-op aspect was addressed in the review relatively evenhandedly. The co-op missions are not game halting; you just miss out on some lore and items if you can't play them. The final issue that people will have is that game isn't scary at all, isn't scary enough, not the right kind of scary. Who says survival horror has to be a Silent Hillesque trip down repressed memory lane culminating in the soul shattering revelation of the depravities of man? Yeah, that is a kind of horror. I think you paint yourself into a corner when you so narrowly define a genre. H.P. Lovecraft pioneered another kind of horror: the unknown and the unknowable. The concept of the Other and the crushing feeling of dread lurking deep in the subconscious and an back drop of an uncaring and dangerous universe featured heavily into his work. He wouldn't fit neatly into the "survival horror genre" but would you doubt his ability to terrify? What we determine as "scary" is subjective and if anything, those who appreciate it regularly are slowly inured to its effect; it simple doesn't affect them any more. Me, I will probably be scared pantsless by Dead Space 3

The bottom line is that I can see how a reviewer, taking all the flaws into account found the game as it is to be a good game. It shows that it's good at what it does. It may not do what you want it to, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good game.

pass for me.

€A
no horror
first game was already boring and this looks boring as well

Brotastic bulletfest? Cool phrase. What if they replaced Isaac with the guys from Army of 2? Sounds rad to me.

deathbydeath:

tmande2nd:

Wow, the internet continues to amaze me. I could actually feel the self-righteous pretentiousness emanating from my computer, congratulations.

You know, I don't feel comfortable supporting EA either. So lay off.

About Isaac's proficiency with guns - at first I thought the same thing many people are saying - "after so many encounters with necromorphs he better know how to use a gun", or something along the line. But when you think, if he only used tools all the time, how could he have learned to use guns? So he either got some training before going to find this marker doomsday machine(don't know much about the story and premise of the third game yet) or he just practiced with the pulse rifle that was available to him the first two games and we can just assume that other firearms operate in a similar manner.

How long is the game? The latest Jimquisition mentioned something about Dead Space 2 being 8 hours. I think I almost fell out of my chair when I heard that.

It's kinda strange because I feel like what you reviewed about the game doesn't really amount to the recommendation for the game. I really only got three positives:

>creepy
>robust crafting system
>satisfying story

I believe the crafting system is well done, especially since you just informed me its tied to micro-transactions. I guess it's creepy but I feel like I'd have to really put myself in the game, turn out the lights, and make it creepy myself. Like try to be scared every time they swarm me, which sounds like alot. Plus you recommended getting a buddy off handedly, even though I feel like that would definitely dampen the experience.

I don't know, from what I see and hear it seems like you might be talking about a more polished, and loved but still run-of-the-mill corridor shorter. Like you're talking around it.
I think I'll just try and pick up Dead Space 1 sometime. Even if the story is satisfying, I figure the first one would help the experience.

Yes, after 2 games i would find it strange, if not worrying, if Issac didnt show some improvement at aiming a gun/power tool.

Other reviews ive seen so far also indicate that the microtransactions are wholly optional too, might pick this up after all then.

V3rtig0:
About Isaac's proficiency with guns - at first I thought the same thing many people are saying - "after so many encounters with necromorphs he better know how to use a gun", or something along the line. But when you think, if he only used tools all the time, how could he have learned to use guns? So he either got some training before going to find this marker doomsday machine(don't know much about the story and premise of the third game yet) or he just practiced with the pulse rifle that was available to him the first two games and we can just assume that other firearms operate in a similar manner.

Well, technically, you're still using engineering equipment...but *gosh*, they suuuuuure do end up feeling awfully a lot like normal guns. It's very wink-and-a-nod, a thinly-veiled excuse for Isaac to be wielding shotguns and grenade launchers. It takes away some of what I really enjoyed about him as a character originally, but it doesn't harm the game.

UsefulPlayer 1:
How long is the game? The latest Jimquisition mentioned something about Dead Space 2 being 8 hours. I think I almost fell out of my chair when I heard that.

It depends on a) if you do the optional missions or not, and b) how OCD you are about searching every nook and cranny. I'd say the entire game clocks in at around...oh, 20 hours or so, assuming you don't just race to the finish.

I am disappointed to see that the EA hate trolls have already taken over the voting score on Metacritic. I played and hated the new DmC, but I would not have given it a 3 or a 4 by any means. I find that incredibly disrespectful to the people who worked hard on the game. Judge the game for the game, don't just say "EA ruined the series." without even playing it. If you don't want to buy because it doesn't look good to you, that's fair.

I pre-ordered it and am waiting for it to get here. The reviews for it are about what I expected. I'm still looking forward to it and playing it on co-op with my husband.

A lot of people have a different idea of what 'horror' means to them. To me, horror is dealing with a grotesque monster/entity in a situation where your chances of survival are fairly slim. I like the panic inducing segments in Dead Space, 'cause that fits in pretty well with what horror means to me. Dead Space 3 does not seem all that different, since to me, horror doesn't necessarily have to be scary.

If we wanna talk about pure fright-factor, the scariest game series I have ever played is the Fatal Frame series. Those games scared the hell out of me, whereas Silent Hill intrigued me and just drew me in further while creeping me out the whole time.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this game. I just need to finish Dead Space 2 first. It got surprisingly hard to find a used copy. =/

You can replay chapters to grind for weapon parts?
Yeah because that doesn't break immersion and game flow in any way.
Incidentally, that also means no revisiting old locations so each "chapter" feels entirely like a level in a video game instead of a part of a world you traverse and bye bye resource management because dead space never was about that or anything.
Compare resident evil 4 to 5 to see what I mean. Am I wrong?

And then there are also side missions?
Yeah I suppose you can farm those then since you can replay chapters.
Can you play straight through the game ignoring all that or will your weapon be so comically weak that you can't survive late encounters?
You were kinda vaguely beating around the bush that it takes a long while to get a good weapon but never said what that actually means.

Why would people not want to, as you put it "spend half their time breaking open boxes or replaying completed chapters just to collect more loot" so they make use of those awesome micro transactions?
You kinda put it like it's a chore but never go into why.

All I see you using in that video are shotgun mc generic and assault rifle as in every third person shooter ever.
Is this what it comes down to if you don't grind?
Because that is not dead space at all, "tactical dismemberment, conventional weaponry isn't that good" and all.
Not like that surprises me in the slightest by now.

Guess I'll have to wait for a second opinion.
This review wasn't helpful.

erttheking:

I politely refuse. I was mostly irritated at the lack of specificity to why he/you would prefer not to. If it too mainstream? You don't like the IPs they own? Did the CEO kill your family? All of these are equally valid under the details both of you provided, which is unhealthy.

loa:
You can replay chapters to grind for weapon parts?
Yeah because that doesn't break immersion and game flow in any way.
Incidentally, that also means no revisiting old locations so each "chapter" feels entirely like a level in a video game instead of a part of a world you traverse.
Bye bye resource management because dead space never was about that or anything.
Compare resident evil 4 to 5 to see what I mean. Am I wrong?

And then there are also side missions?
Yeah I suppose you can farm those then since you can replay chapters.
Can you play straight through the game ignoring all that or will your weapon be so comically weak that you can't survive late encounters?
You were kinda vaguely beating around the bush that it takes a long while to get a good weapon but never said what that actually means.

All I see you using in that video are shotgun mc generic and assault rifle as in every third person shooter ever.
Is this what it comes down to if you don't grind?
Because that is not dead space at all, "tactical dismemberment, conventional weaponry isn't that good" and all.
Not like that surprises me in the slightest by now.

Guess I'll have to wait for a second opinion.
This review wasn't helpful.

Sounds less like the review wasn't helpful and more like you wanted them to say Dead Space 3 sucks.

Rabid Chipmunk:
Sounds less like the review wasn't helpful and more like you wanted them to say Dead Space 3 sucks.

Now that would be a terrible review. The why is what matters.

deathbydeath:

erttheking:

I politely refuse. I was mostly irritated at the lack of specificity to why he/you would prefer not to. If it too mainstream? You don't like the IPs they own? Did the CEO kill your family? All of these are equally valid under the details both of you provided, which is unhealthy.

Ugh. Did you really just pull the "did the CEO kill your family" card? I did that once and in hindsight I realize that it was a dick move.

I don't like what they did to a franchise that I loved. Is that enough for you?

Rabid Chipmunk:

It's like DmC all over again. They'll cherry pick the reviews that mention things they want to be mentioned and ignore the tidal wave of good reviews.

Susan Arendt:

"If you go into dead space 3 hoping it'll be scary, you'll probably come away disappointed." "It may not be a horror game anymore."

Why is it pretending to be a horror game if it's just about tense shooting? Why does it put scary masks on all the dudes you have to shoot and put spooky voice logs everywhere? If it's not 'supposed' to be a horror game, why is it wearing the skin of one? If you're making a game that's about tense, careful shooting, why not set it so that you're shooting something that's clearly non-horror related (such as ninjas or pirates or whatever) instead of what are quite obviously meant to be cosmic horrors from beyond the stars? Unless you've set out to make a horror game and failed miserably in the process. Disappointing. Very disappointing. No 5 million sales for you, EA.

erttheking:
Ugh. Did you really just pull the "did the CEO kill your family" card? I did that once and in hindsight I realize that it was a dick move.

Really? Interesting. I just used it as hyperbole in covering a spectrum of strawman arguments.

My question was rhetorical, too. I was just saying "be more specific, otherwise you sound like a douchecanoe".

deathbydeath:

erttheking:

Really? Interesting. I just used it as hyperbole in covering a spectrum of strawman arguments.

My question was rhetorical, too. I was just saying "be more specific, otherwise you sound like a douchecanoe".

I don't see why I have to give a specific reason every time when I say "I don't like supporting a company."

WaitWHAT:

Susan Arendt:

"If you go into dead space 3 hoping it'll be scary, you'll probably come away disappointed." "It may not be a horror game anymore."

Why is it pretending to be a horror game if it's just about tense shooting? Why does it put scary masks on all the dudes you have to shoot and put spooky voice logs everywhere? If it's not 'supposed' to be a horror game, why is it wearing the skin of another one? If you're making a game that's about tense, careful shooting, why not set it so that you're shooting something that's clearly non-horror related (such as ninjas or pirates or whatever) instead of cosmic horrors from beyond the stars? Unless you've set out to make a horror game and failed miserably in the process. Disappointing. Very disappointing. No 5 million sales for you, EA.

Well, it's not scary, but is creepy. I differentiate between the two things, but others may not. I consider "scary" to be something more immediate and active - it makes you want to shut the game off out of fear. Creepy, on the other hand, I consider to be more uncomfortable. Creepiness is more subtle than scariness, at least the way I classify types of horror.

But I do have to agree with you on one point - I very much doubt this game will sell 5 million copies. Which is a shame, because it really is quite good.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here