Dead Space 3 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

braincore02:
Well I'm not whining or ranting, so I'm not sure why you mention it.

I am, however, pointing out that if people play into EA's game (I blame EA for these types of business practices more than any developer), then this will become business as usual, if it isn't already, which it arguably is. So now many EA titles are released with features intentionally removed so you can buy them later. If this were 6 or so years ago, they would've been included in the initial price.

So I voice my encouragement to everyone to avoid microtransacting. And again, kudos to anyone who just doesn't give EA money.

First of all, if EA dies, that is a bad thing. Second, is not supporting microtransactions worth killing a franchise that isn't that bad, if I were to listen to people here? If you don't mind me quoting Penny Arcade:

In practice, the microtransaction model isn't annoying. Sure, it's offered at the benches, but I was never tempted to bring in any extra support from outside the game, and I also never felt like I was missing out due to that decision. It was easy to ignore the prompts to download for-pay content. You may not like the system that allows you to pay to become more powerful, but if you don't like it, don't use it. I saw little evidence to support the idea that the game was tuned to require the use of outside funds.

You are willing to kill a quality franchise for that? Something hardly intrusive or annoying? Seriously?

I want to hate this game with every fiber of my being for what EA has done

But...it just looks too good....

As good as it looks, I'm going to wait for the price to come down a fair bit. I would love to run out and get the game now, but in addition to being a bit short on money I've also been liking EA less and less as the years go on (which is surprising to say, since I've harbored a deep-seated resentment of the company ever since they dissolved Westwood), and even more in the past few years. The less money they get from me the better, so maybe when it's dropped to $30 I'll pick it up.

Still, thanks for the review. I was wondering if it would be decent or not, and it appears as though it's pretty good.

deathbydeath:

First of all, if EA dies, that is a bad thing. Second, is not supporting microtransactions worth killing a franchise that isn't that bad, if I were to listen to people here? If you don't mind me quoting Penny Arcade:

In practice, the microtransaction model isn't annoying. Sure, it's offered at the benches, but I was never tempted to bring in any extra support from outside the game, and I also never felt like I was missing out due to that decision. It was easy to ignore the prompts to download for-pay content. You may not like the system that allows you to pay to become more powerful, but if you don't like it, don't use it. I saw little evidence to support the idea that the game was tuned to require the use of outside funds.

You are willing to kill a quality franchise for that? Something hardly intrusive or annoying? Seriously?

I disagree. EA's death would be quite good in my opinion. It would teach the industry that excessive greed and creating products with increasingly lesser value is not a valid business model. These are entertainment products. When we no longer have money to spend on them, they will go, and consequently, when we no longer see value in them, they will go.

In the meantime, if EA died, the most valuable developers and IP's would be auctioned off to quite willing buyers, and the industry would equalize. Gamers would survive, and actually thrive as a result. There are FAR worse changes in life you might have to deal with than a swapping of developers between publisher hands. Even if the IP's don't survive, good game ideas will survive in new games.

But most likely, talented developers would be purchased by publishers that, for a while (being realistic about it), might understand the lesson of excessive greed expressed by EA's failure. If you ask me, EA's death would be *QUITE* good for gamers.

Unfortunately the corporate charter of quarterly profit at any cost will ultimately lead them to the same state we have now, but equalizing the progress towards corporate greed is never a bad thing if you ask me, no matter how fleeting. The more permanent, the better.

If you think EA's death would be bad, you probably do not fully understand the relationship between publishers and developers.

To a large extent, publishers are a made-up need. They would not exist without talented developers. Publishing is to developer as banker is to industry, they are the upper class to the starving artist, the gallery to the aspiring, the money that enables the passionate to make a little coin, etc... I don't fault them for wanting a return on their investment, but traditionally, they ALWAYS go too far, yet they would have nothing to offer without the artist suckling at their... uh nm.

If you think developers get their fair share, sure, the top-execs of the developer might, that's why they play ball, but the underlings who actually make the game and who CARE about the game are just like you and me... maybe well off (by current standards), but certainly not retiring early, probably not getting paid out by social security when they're old, and what they'd like to see YOU get as an end product is not what you're going to get ever again, if EA's current business methods prove more profitable than those that give us good value for our money.

That's why I sigh whenever I hear a developer get blamed for what clearly seems to benefit the publisher at the gamer's expense.

As long as you can't distinguish the difference and motivations between publisher and developer the developers are 50% likely to be blamed for the publisher's A-hole decisions.

If you think not supporting microtransactions may equal the killing of a franchise, you may be of the business mind to be an EA executive... or you may just need to hear an opposing, yet reasonable, point of view.

Don't be a fool...

Go ahead, buy Dead Space 3, but I implore you, don't support microtransactions.

Susan Arendt:

mohit9206:
so now i know that this game does not have a very engaging story and its more fun to play co-op.
so since a good story is very important to me and also since i will be playing this game all by myself, is this game still recommended for me ? or does it bring it down since i wont be playing co-op ?

Where did you get that the story isn't engaging? I love the story of Dead Space. You will, however, miss out on parts of the story (Carver's parts, specifically) if you can't do the co-op missions, and I think that sucks. I enjoy the lore of Dead Space so much I want access to all of it - text logs, audio logs, stuff written on the wall in blood, everything. But you will still very much enjoy it if you play the entire thing solo. There are plenty of side missions to do by yourself, and they each add a great deal of flavor to the overall story.

How important is the stuff you miss out on if you can't play co-op [No gaming friends/no xbox live] does it leave plot holes or ruin the story for the single player person?

knight steel:

IKWerewolf:

knight steel:

let's get it out of the way ^_^

OP:ESCAPIST HOW MUCH DID EA PAY YOU TO SELL OUT, how can you support the micro transactions when they are everything bad about the industry,you say it's not a horror game but still give it a good review?

You have become an EA drone, who compromise your dignity for a quick buck you DISGUST ME T_T.

Love the sarcasm, beauty!!!

OK I expected this to be a lot worse... a lot of people did actually attack EA for microtransactions (including myself) and due to EA's actions recently, believe that microtransactions were going to be that far in your face that it would be the ONLY way to win (pay to win NOT A GOOD IDEA).

I'm glad to hear (after Jimquisition's IP talk on Dead Space) that they will not be (completely) ruining Dead Space

Sarcasm?...........Yes sarcasm.....I was defiantly using sarcasm......I was not serious.....at all.

I'll be honest I was ready to drop IGN from my youTube subscription if they didn't make comment in the review condemning microtransactions (I'm being serious). Maybe I was being over zealous... but because of past records of EA, I believed that someone with higher levels needs to take a stand. In this case I can accept that microtransactions are not as bigger problems in this case and the developers should not suffer for this; but that doesn't get EA off the hook.

IKWerewolf:

knight steel:

IKWerewolf:

OK I expected this to be a lot worse... a lot of people did actually attack EA for microtransactions (including myself) and due to EA's actions recently, believe that microtransactions were going to be that far in your face that it would be the ONLY way to win (pay to win NOT A GOOD IDEA).

I'm glad to hear (after Jimquisition's IP talk on Dead Space) that they will not be (completely) ruining Dead Space

Sarcasm?...........Yes sarcasm.....I was defiantly using sarcasm......I was not serious.....at all.

I'll be honest I was ready to drop IGN from my youTube subscription if they didn't make comment in the review condemning microtransactions (I'm being serious). Maybe I was being over zealous... but because of past records of EA, I believed that someone with higher levels needs to take a stand. In this case I can accept that microtransactions are not as bigger problems in this case and the developers should not suffer for this; but that doesn't get EA off the hook.

Yay some one who agrees with my thought exactly I feel so validated ^_^
Put it here bro:image

braincore02:
Holy Hell this is long. I'm impressed.

Here's a secret: If EA went bankrupt, had it's assets liquidated, it's IPs auctioned off, and its corpse strung up on a wall, that wouldn't change a damn thing. Other publishers would be reminded of their own mortality; they would be reminded how fallible and vulnerable they are to the biting winds that are the average fuckstupid* consumers that buy their products. They wouldn't "wake up", they would hide in their bunkers like there's no tomorrow. They would minimize risk and maximize profit as much as possible, continuing to pour more money into larger products with baffling inefficiency, churning up a new product every year until consumers barely recognize their beloved franchises.

Here's another option: show publishers how it's done. Steal their customers with better products that were cheaper to make. The technology to lower the cost to make games is out there, and it's the goddamn answer. By showing the game makers with the money how to make profitable games without money, they'll start to copy you. Pumping more money into a dev team isn't the answer, and that's whats killing the major players in the industry. None of us want them to go the way of Atari, we just want them to do things right.

Disclaimer: I am not necessarily naming or calling anybody out as fuckstupid. In my experience, I have conversed with people who told me without a trace of irony that they would be fine with annual insubstantive sequels to a favorite franchise until it was burnt out and killed. I will call people who share that mindset fuckstupid without regret or repentance. Again, this may or may not apply to people on this site, but that has not been my experience.

braincore02:

deathbydeath:

I disagree. EA's death would be quite good in my opinion. It would teach the industry that excessive greed and creating products with increasingly lesser value is not a valid business model. These are entertainment products. When we no longer have money to spend on them, they will go, and consequently, when we no longer see value in them, they will go.

In the meantime, if EA died, the most valuable developers and IP's would be auctioned off to quite willing buyers, and the industry would equalize. Gamers would survive, and actually thrive as a result. There are FAR worse changes in life you might have to deal with than a swapping of developers between publisher hands. Even if the IP's don't survive, good game ideas will survive in new games.

But most likely, talented developers would be purchased by publishers that, for a while (being realistic about it), might understand the lesson of excessive greed expressed by EA's failure. If you ask me, EA's death would be *QUITE* good for gamers.

Unfortunately the corporate charter of quarterly profit at any cost will ultimately lead them to the same state we have now, but equalizing the progress towards corporate greed is never a bad thing if you ask me, no matter how fleeting. The more permanent, the better.

If you think EA's death would be bad, you probably do not fully understand the relationship between publishers and developers.

To a large extent, publishers are a made-up need. They would not exist without talented developers. Publishing is to developer as banker is to industry, they are the upper class to the starving artist, the gallery to the aspiring, the money that enables the passionate to make a little coin, etc... I don't fault them for wanting a return on their investment, but traditionally, they ALWAYS go too far, yet they would have nothing to offer without the artist suckling at their... uh nm.

If you think developers get their fair share, sure, the top-execs of the developer might, that's why they play ball, but the underlings who actually make the game and who CARE about the game are just like you and me... maybe well off (by current standards), but certainly not retiring early, probably not getting paid out by social security when they're old, and what they'd like to see YOU get as an end product is not what you're going to get ever again, if EA's current business methods prove more profitable than those that give us good value for our money.

That's why I sigh whenever I hear a developer get blamed for what clearly seems to benefit the publisher at the gamer's expense.

As long as you can't distinguish the difference and motivations between publisher and developer the developers are 50% likely to be blamed for the publisher's A-hole decisions.

If you think not supporting microtransactions may equal the killing of a franchise, you may be of the business mind to be an EA executive... or you may just need to hear an opposing, yet reasonable, point of view.

Don't be a fool...

Go ahead, buy Dead Space 3, but I implore you, don't support microtransactions.

I can't argue that EA needs a wake up call, the biggest problem with EA is its acquisition method and cannibalising off developers to create its super developer. If EA was to collapse, how would they split this comapny? The titles would be sold off like they would with THQ but what would they do with the team?

The answer is never good. Those developers that are still in good form with liscenses will be bought out but the liscences may be auctioned separately if they are being held by EA.

As for the super developers splitting them would save the company but would be a moral blow as it would split up friends and colleagues. There are very few publishers with the power to buy the WHOLE development arm of EA and if they tried the result would be redundancies to cut it down to a sellable level.

I would love to see EA to be humbled... but its only going to happen if there is an alternate solution and major investors jump ship to them.

knight steel:

Susan Arendt:

mohit9206:
so now i know that this game does not have a very engaging story and its more fun to play co-op.
so since a good story is very important to me and also since i will be playing this game all by myself, is this game still recommended for me ? or does it bring it down since i wont be playing co-op ?

Where did you get that the story isn't engaging? I love the story of Dead Space. You will, however, miss out on parts of the story (Carver's parts, specifically) if you can't do the co-op missions, and I think that sucks. I enjoy the lore of Dead Space so much I want access to all of it - text logs, audio logs, stuff written on the wall in blood, everything. But you will still very much enjoy it if you play the entire thing solo. There are plenty of side missions to do by yourself, and they each add a great deal of flavor to the overall story.

How important is the stuff you miss out on if you can't play co-op [No gaming friends/no xbox live] does it leave plot holes or ruin the story for the single player person?

It's supplemental. The main story will remain perfectly intact. They're like the other side missions - there to add flavor and background, but not necessary.

knight steel:

IKWerewolf:

knight steel:

let's get it out of the way ^_^

OP:ESCAPIST HOW MUCH DID EA PAY YOU TO SELL OUT, how can you support the micro transactions when they are everything bad about the industry,you say it's not a horror game but still give it a good review?

You have become an EA drone, who compromise your dignity for a quick buck you DISGUST ME T_T.

Well, if I disgust you, then I highly encourage you to find a website more in line with your personal tastes.

Susan Arendt:

knight steel:

IKWerewolf:

Well, if I disgust you, then I highly encourage you to find a website more in line with your personal tastes.

You don't disgust me I like you ^_^
I was joking around I thought the ...... would show that if I was serious I would of simply said "I was not using sarcasm".

Susan Arendt:

knight steel:

IKWerewolf:

I"m Really sorry if I offended you that was not my intention, It would be great if we could be friends, please forgive me Your a great reviewer!

No review so far has tackled the subject of spending real money in-game. Why is that? Is it a non-issue after all?

Tedious rock climbing sequences

Haha, someone's an MST3K fan.

deathbydeath:

Here's a secret: etc

Well I'll agree to disagree. I would be just fine if EA were to go belly up. I did note that your proposed option (steal their customers) also involves customers spending our money elsewhere, ie, not giving EA money. Isn't that what started this all in the first place?

In any case, I don't see EA going away anytime soon. The least we can do right now is resist their microtransaction business model.

Milanezi:
No review so far has tackled the subject of spending real money in-game. Why is that? Is it a non-issue after all?

It's basically a non-issue. It's on a sub-menu in the work benches that is not obtrusive at all. While it does net you pre-built guns and some suits, as far as I can tell it's stuff you could make in-game with the right materials, and suits seem to be purely cosmetic, at least from what I can tell from the suits given by the limited edition and the N7 suit. They are a shortcut for people who want to have some of the guns without having to wait to scavenge materials over possibly multiple playthroughs.

This is my impression anyway from a few hours of play.

Saw the QuickTime event in the video. That alone, regardless of the rest of the game, is enough to put me off of it.

Not scary? What's become of the world? Horrible otherworldly beasts flying at you trying to kill you, and it's not scary. Huh.

Maybe what really needs to be said is that most (>90%) of our games are scary games involving killing, monsters and zombies and that we've become desensitized to it all.

V3rtig0:
About Isaac's proficiency with guns - at first I thought the same thing many people are saying - "after so many encounters with necromorphs he better know how to use a gun", or something along the line. But when you think, if he only used tools all the time, how could he have learned to use guns? So he either got some training before going to find this marker doomsday machine(don't know much about the story and premise of the third game yet) or he just practiced with the pulse rifle that was available to him the first two games and we can just assume that other firearms operate in a similar manner.

to be fair, the tools had a lot of gun vibe all over them.

the plasma cutter from the first game doesn't look like a tool that you would use to perform any kind of repairs on a space station/ship.

I am baffled that this seems to have a somewhat good PC port. I heard DS and DS2 weren't all that great in that regard and Visceral themself stated that they will do a streight up console port. And now it tursn out it the port hasn't its Framerate locked at 30FPS, has high resulution textures and a ton of options.
According to Total Biscuit you can even change the FOV (via config file, but at least you can), wich is kinda rare in third person games.
It just boggles my mind, that they anounced a barebones PC port and then made a good one. I just don't get why they would do that. This just seems like PR-insanity to me.
Seriously, kudos to Visceral on that port. It really seems to be reasonably good. And the game itself doesn't look to shaby either (if you judge it as an action title). I might even buy this a few months down the line. I only hope I can get it without Origin, pref. DRM free (a man can dream) until then. With the hassle I regulary have with Steam and this load of junk that is Games for Windows Live I just don't want to hassle with yet another set of DRM Software.
Also: I'm still not too keen on the Microtransactions.

I watched the Game Grumps video on the demo, before playing the demo. It kind of ruined any shock the game could have. lol But boy was it fun.

"Ooooh, that dead body there is sure dead. I better just walk towards i--Die!! (unloads clip)"

xD Then the Crab/thinga-majig Necromorph attacked and when I beat it, I was yelling at it to get back here and calling it a coward.

Later I was screaming: "stasis the drill!" Ah, good times. The times when you fight other humans made me think I was playing a regular third person shooter, rather then a Dead Space game. Well, until the Necromorphs show up.

Blood Brain Barrier:
Not scary? What's become of the world? Horrible otherworldly beasts flying at you trying to kill you, and it's not scary. Huh.

Maybe what really needs to be said is that most (>90%) of our games are scary games involving killing, monsters and zombies and that we've become desensitized to it all.

I don't think it's that.

Fear needs build, it needs atmosphere and it needs to be handled right.

A monster in real life like this would frighten a lot of people, no matter the surrounding. Except, the problem is these are games, and are brains can tell fiction from reality, so when we have no build up, our mind easily spots these as fake and doesn't give in to being scared as it would've if it was seeing them in the right mood, the atmosphere, your mind itself being taken in and playing tricks on you.

It's why the monsters from that one really popular survival horror game look funny when seen out of context, but when you first seem them in the game with the build up, it can scare the hell out of you.

Asuka Soryu:

Blood Brain Barrier:

I don't think it's that.

Fear needs build, it needs atmosphere and it needs to be handled right.

A monster in real life like this would frighten a lot of people, no matter the surrounding. Except, the problem is these are games, and are brains can tell fiction from reality, so when we have no build up, our mind easily spots these as fake and doesn't give in to being scared as it would've if it was seeing them in the right mood, the atmosphere, your mind itself being taken in and playing tricks on you.

It's why the monsters from that one really popular survival horror game look funny when seen out of context, but when you first seem them in the game with the build up, it can scare the hell out of you.

I just wonder if that says more about us than it does about games.

As for fear, if we were really scared by scary games, and i emphasise REALLY scared, we wouldn't play them at all. Not in a million years. Anyone who has experienced fear in its strongest incarnation will testify to this statement.

Comic Sans:

Milanezi:

It's basically a non-issue. It's on a sub-menu in the work benches that is not obtrusive at all. While it does net you pre-built guns and some suits, as far as I can tell it's stuff you could make in-game with the right materials, and suits seem to be purely cosmetic, at least from what I can tell from the suits given by the limited edition and the N7 suit. They are a shortcut for people who want to have some of the guns without having to wait to scavenge materials over possibly multiple playthroughs.

This is my impression anyway from a few hours of play.

Thanks for the info. It's actually the sort of thing I might do then ahaha, buying avery powerful weapon just to make things easier hahaha

schwitz:
Saw the QuickTime event in the video. That alone, regardless of the rest of the game, is enough to put me off of it.

Are you kidding me? These random quick time events that may occur like once every hour or so of pure gameplay have been in the series since Dead Space 1.
So you never played the other two games, and you swoop in by this thread and say you're not gonna play this one either, because it features a totally random quick time event.
Good thing I can enjoy 99% of the rest of the game, plus the 1% of random quick time events.

Blood Brain Barrier:

That, and tearing off their limbs whilst armed with a flamethrower chainsaw is a kind of catharsis thats less, "frenzied violent fight for survival" and more, "GET YOU SOME!"

I think Visceral missed a golden opportunity to really amp the creep factor with the enemies; now was the golden opportunity to wheel out the the giant centipede made of human torsos, the zombified pregnant ladies with weaponized fetuses, and whatever the hell that giant bear-shaped...thing that appeared in Dead Space: Downfall was.

Microtransactions are pretty lame. I'm okay with "special DLC" that adds little extras like the suits and what not. It's a bit cheap to see but acceptable. However, the resource microtransactions and the like.. not okay with that.

Basically, unless you're running an MMO and have massive overhead costs and a huge ongoing development team. Then you really shouldn't be considering MT's. It's not like EA needs to scrape enough cash together to release annual expansions for Dead Space 3, or that they have to pay a ton of money to refresh the license rights to their IP, like Turbine has to do with Lord of the Rings Online.

To me Dead Space never really was a horrorgame. It's an action-game with some horror elements. I haven't played DS3 yet but i always liked Dead Space 2 more than it's predecessor. I mean, yeah, they toned down the horror elements but these didn't work too well to begin with. And while i would have appreciated if they tried to improve them i didn't miss them in DS2. That's why the game as a whole seemed much more focused to me. It was a perfectly decent, dark and gritty SciFi shooter with a pretty nice atmosphere.

Assassin Xaero:
I played most the first (haven't tried the second or prequel yet), and it wasn't scary at all, so the whole "going more action and less scary" is fine with me. Need to get around to trying DS2.

Dead space 2 was very good, and has a lot of parts that will put you at the edge of your seat, whether or not you scare easily.

I can guarantee that anyone who has played it has been nervous at some point during their first play through.

V3rtig0:
About Isaac's proficiency with guns - at first I thought the same thing many people are saying - "after so many encounters with necromorphs he better know how to use a gun", or something along the line. But when you think, if he only used tools all the time, how could he have learned to use guns? So he either got some training before going to find this marker doomsday machine(don't know much about the story and premise of the third game yet) or he just practiced with the pulse rifle that was available to him the first two games and we can just assume that other firearms operate in a similar manner.

It doesn't take a genius to operate a weapon, especially at close quarters like is often the case.

The Dead Space games have been widely lauded for their immersive HUD design, which has changed little in three games. Instead of information being displayed in a regular HUD, Isaac Clarke can open a 3D HUD that exists within the game world, not outside of it. This was a much-talked about feature before and after the release of the original Dead Space. It was one more step forward on the road to Immersion. Well done Visceral. Let's all have a beer.

So it seems strange to me, Susan, that you would hand-wave the inclusion of "unobtrusive" micro-transactions within that HUD. Very strange indeed.

NLS:

schwitz:

Are you kidding me? These random quick time events that may occur like once every hour or so of pure gameplay have been in the series since Dead Space 1.
So you never played the other two games, and you swoop in by this thread and say you're not gonna play this one either, because it features a totally random quick time event.
Good thing I can enjoy 99% of the rest of the game, plus the 1% of random quick time events.

So, after reading my comment, you immediately assume that I simply swooped in on this discussion and that I have played neither game before. Both of which are wrong. Look, I have a lot of respect for the series and 1 & 2 where great games, the one thing I despise in ALL games, is QuickTime events.

I play PC and console and no matter the platform, I still feel they break the mood by making you mash or quickly press a button at a moments notice.

Now, back to my comment; I am aware of the QuickTime events in the first two, I just didn't enjoy them and wish that they were removed as a game-play mechanic. I don't expect anyone to share or agree with this opinion, but it is my own and I am entitled to it.

jovack22:

V3rtig0:

It doesn't take a genius to operate a weapon, especially at close quarters like is often the case.

No, it doesn't take a genius to OPERATE a weapon, but it does take some practice to operate it at the proficiency Isaac does. I've only fired a real gun once, and I'm pretty sure I would be able to operate handguns, but I don't think I'd be able to reload weapons as fast and seemingly easily as he does. As I said, we can assume he had some weapons training (wasn't it mentioned in one of the text diaries that Isaac was in the military briefly?). I hope my point is clear, but arguing about video game logic is quite pointless.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here