Reel Physics: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Pain in the Glass

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Pain in the Glass

This week we find out how many Julianne Moores can be held up by a single pane of glass.

Watch Video

Hey everyone, thanks for watching this week's episode. The movie is a bit more obscure than our recent superhero episodes but still just as interesting.
I look forward to your comments and feedback as always!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn:
Hey everyone, thanks for watching this week's episode. The movie is a bit more obscure than our recent superhero episodes but still just as interesting.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn, you post whore. I swear you sit all morning F5'ing the forums waiting to get first post.

Colby Dane.
RE-AL PHYSICS

ColbyDane:

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn, you post whore. I swear you sit all morning F5'ing the forums waiting to get first post.

Colby Dane.
RE-AL PHYSICS

I could instead just post "FIRST!" if you like.

Great episode! Any ideas on the properties of Vibranium, as demonstrated by the Captain America movie? And would the ripples in the water glass from the first Jurassic Park be possible? How much dinosaur had to impact the ground to make those ripples?

Hey there!
Good one!

Is there a way you could do the flying upside down thingy from the new "Flight" with Denzel Washington.
Ya. You know: That scene.
Is it possible to actually fly that way?
Is it possible to break the terminal fall with that move?
Is the move possible without destroying the plane?

All the info is available (as in which kind of aircraft) and the scene is in the trailer. So go get it :)

I already saw a future episode in the trailers for Fast 6 get this Vin's team stops a cargo plane from taking off by shooting harpoons into its wings and pulling it down with hybrid cars the Prius i think.

Ot: love your guys maths even though it confuses me at times.

LadyRhian:
Great episode! Any ideas on the properties of Vibranium, as demonstrated by the Captain America movie? And would the ripples in the water glass from the first Jurassic Park be possible? How much dinosaur had to impact the ground to make those ripples?

the production documentary for the first Jurassic park has the answer to that question, which is you would see ripples but not how its shown in the movie they would have come from one side or the other of the glass. to get the effect they had they hid a bass speaker under the glass and strummed a single low note on a guitar or base to get that effect.

my only question on this episode is does the software take into effect that the human body is relatively speaking soft and a inefficient energy transfer device thanks to all of our soft bits that cover our bones, you know flesh?

I think your calculations are off, did you remember to subtract the weight of her brain for thinking a cabinet door handle would support her? Then again it is Julianne Moore so it's not like it would have made much of a difference :P

thanatopsis112:
[quote="LadyRhian" post="6.400221.16534484"]

....my only question on this episode is does the software take into effect that the human body is relatively speaking soft and a inefficient energy transfer device thanks to all of our soft bits that cover our bones, you know flesh?

Short answer: no. Long answer: we used a human shaped polygon that would be absolute best case scenario for anyone unfortunate to find themselves on a pane of glass. The force of the deceleration is spread out evenly over this area. This gratuitous underestimation of point loading from head, shoulder, knees or toes more than offsets any energy absorbed by that flesh.

mmmm. Flesh. I think I just decided to have steak for lunch.

Colby Dane
REAL"ISH" PHYSICS

LadyRhian:
And would the ripples in the water glass from the first Jurassic Park be possible? How much dinosaur had to impact the ground to make those ripples?

I am also curious about this. Another good episode. Having broken a windshield before I'm hardly surprised.

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

So I'm not familiar with the movie and have only a vague estimation of the technology I'm asking about, but would it be possible that the pane was made of Gorilla Glass? Gorilla glass is the type of glass used as a coating for ipods and iphones... which apparently is much stronger and more scratch resistant than normal glass, but I've seen it fracture in similar ways to non-safety glass.

I suppose another question, out of pure curiosity to you guys, is whether or not it's actually possible to make Gorilla Glass at the thickness of normal glass, or whether that would be absurdly expensive?

The question I always found myself asking whenever I saw that scene was why was that glass even there?

I mean, why would the guys who made that trailer just bolt a full-length sheet of glass on the inside of the cabin? And on the other side of a frikkin' door, at that? I know I'm not a car manufacturer, or an engineer, but that just seems like a pretty random design choice to me (outside of "the film needs this to be here")

What kind of FEA software were you using? Did you do any optimization on the meshing, or just run a quick 1-pass analysis? Not that I'm doubting your work there, just curious.

As bad as it is, the only thing that kept sticking out was the word "chick, which just made me cringe every time it was said. Maybe it's just a non-American thing though? Just something about that word...

Besides that, nice episode and I'll admit it would of made the film more interesting if they stuck to real physics and she went through. Well, more boring as there likely wouldn't of been dinosaurs in the first place...Huh...

ColbyDane:
Short answer: no. Long answer: we used a human shaped polygon that would be absolute best case scenario for anyone unfortunate to find themselves on a pane of glass. The force of the deceleration is spread out evenly over this area. This gratuitous underestimation of point loading from head, shoulder, knees or toes more than offsets any energy absorbed by that flesh.

I'm willing to give a bit of leeway to this cause it looked to me like she hit mostly with her torso, rather than the bonier parts of the body. However, not enough leeway to make up for the fact that your calculations put the force at nearly ten times the strength of reasonably-thick glass. :)

If the glass held up to her fall though, while cracking, she did the absolute wrong thing by increasing the point force by moving up onto her hands and knees. This aspect of the scene did make sense to me.

The movie is worth watching though; if nothing else, Pete Postlethwaite is in it.

Riobux:
As bad as it is, the only thing that kept sticking out was the word "chick, which just made me cringe every time it was said. Maybe it's just a non-American thing though? Just something about that word...

No, that made me cringe a bit as well. I think they were going for a joke playing off of the phrase "the chick from The Forgotten", but I think that would have played better if they'd used the full phrase every time -- for instance: "So our chick-from-The-Forgotten's velocity is about twenty miles per hour..."

Great video, always suspected that the likely outcome was for her to fly straight through the window, didn't realise how absolute the answer would be, though.

I'd love to see a video about the final scene of the original Italian Job from 1969, where a bus full of the gold and robbers is leaning over the edge of a cliff. I've always wondered whether or not the gold would be heavy enough to just drop them straight down that sucker.

Woo FEA!! My engineering course would've been far more interesting if i had to calculate stuff like Jurassic Park!

Wait, what if the glass is actually transparent aluminum? A 1-inch thick sheet of transparent aluminum, measuring 60' x 10', is capable of withstanding the pressure of 18,000 cubic feet of water...

Joking aside, what if it's plexiglass instead of regular glass? Does plexiglass even shatter that way?

If you don't mind being morbid, how about that scene in Fargo where Steve Buscemi is fed into a woodchipper? Would the blades be strong enough to liquefy him into a constant stream of blood?

Or the explosive decompression scene in License to Kill where the villain stuffs a lackey into a compression chamber, cranks the valve to maximum, and chops a pipe with an axe.

Or, to pick on Michael Bay some more, in Armageddon, how fast would the space station have to rotate to get what appears to be 1G gravity?

Damien Black:

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

So I'm not familiar with the movie and have only a vague estimation of the technology I'm asking about, but would it be possible that the pane was made of Gorilla Glass? Gorilla glass is the type of glass used as a coating for ipods and iphones... which apparently is much stronger and more scratch resistant than normal glass, but I've seen it fracture in similar ways to non-safety glass.

I suppose another question, out of pure curiosity to you guys, is whether or not it's actually possible to make Gorilla Glass at the thickness of normal glass, or whether that would be absurdly expensive?

you know what, you might be up to something.

to be fair, it didnt come out when the movie did, but it really can behave like the glass in the trailer.

here are the specs:
http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/sites/all/files/Gorilla%20Glass%203_PI%20Sheet%20010713.pdf

I really dig this episode. The idea of chick froce and such was brilliant :) Also I liked the added small photos with text as they gave the scene some character :)
I got lost with the non-metric system few times when you were talking and it's usually in the most interesting moment - like how much does 20mm of glass that size would weight? I don't have a clue, cause you didn't put the metric for that. Is it harder to put those small brackets when you're both on the green screen?

Riobux:

UNHchabo:
No, that made me cringe a bit as well. I think they were going for a joke playing off of the phrase "the chick from The Forgotten", but I think that would have played better if they'd used the full phrase every time -- for instance: "So our chick-from-The-Forgotten's velocity is about twenty miles per hour..."

We took a chance on this thinking it might be humorous to throw out phrases like "the chick from the Forgotten" and "chick energy" and keep that tone going through the episode because it personally amused us. More intelligent people than us (You were right, Susan!) warned us ahead of time to maybe re-shoot the episode and cut all of that out but we decided to test the waters and see what the reaction would be, if nothing else but for our own social experiment.

It's never used in a derogatory manner or to be hurtful or disrespectful... and as far as I have always been concerned it was a term of endearment towards female friends the same as you might refer to your male friends as bro, dude, or man... though I suppose based on your social climate and how you were raised, it could come across wrong.

No offense was intended of course.

Thanks for supporting the show!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Wolcik:
I really dig this episode. The idea of chick froce and such was brilliant :) Also I liked the added small photos with text as they gave the scene some character :)
I got lost with the non-metric system few times when you were talking and it's usually in the most interesting moment - like how much does 20mm of glass that size would weight? I don't have a clue, cause you didn't put the metric for that. Is it harder to put those small brackets when you're both on the green screen?

We try to cover both units of measurement when we can, but at some point it becomes overbearing to the audience to constantly convert everything on the screen for everyone so we just try to highlight the most important parts in both metric and imperial to make sure everyone can follow along.

If/When the show becomes popular enough for an added companion column here at the Escapist every week, then we will be able to present our work in more detail with full conversions across the board as well as reference links and variable values input into the equations.

Google allows you to type a value and a measurement type and immediately spit out the conversion if that helps. It takes only the time to type it in your search bar for quick reference.

If you like the show, be sure to share it out and turn your friends on to it so we can get enough of a following and the support required to expand the show even further. Thanks for watching and taking the time to leave feedback!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

DVS BSTrD:
I think your calculations are off, did you remember to subtract the weight of her brain for thinking a cabinet door handle would support her? Then again it is Julianne Moore so it's not like it would have made much of a difference :P

You do not talk **** about me Julie!

Kmadden2004:
The question I always found myself asking whenever I saw that scene was why was that glass even there?

My guess it's for better dinosaur observation, but yeah, the other windows in the trailer had bars, the end window had a door that easily fell off for protection.

When I saw this episode on the homepage I thought you would be addressing the electric fence scene from the original JP - whether or not a human could survive 10,000 volts coursing through their bodies, and the subsequent fall to the ground.

Anakinnnn:
We took a chance on this thinking it might be humorous to throw out phrases like "the chick from the Forgotten" and "chick energy" and keep that tone going through the episode because it personally amused us. More intelligent people than us (You were right, Susan!) warned us ahead of time to maybe re-shoot the episode and cut all of that out but we decided to test the waters and see what the reaction would be, if nothing else but for our own social experiment.

It's never used in a derogatory manner or to be hurtful or disrespectful... and as far as I have always been concerned it was a term of endearment towards female friends the same as you might refer to your male friends as bro, dude, or man... though I suppose based on your social climate and how you were raised, it could come across wrong.

No offense was intended of course.

It didn't sound like there was any malice involved; like I said, I think playing each instance of "chick" as a joke would have gone over much better. You had several instances that out-of-context sound like they were being played straight -- for instance "...since our chick has to slow herself down..."

Good episode otherwise though; keep up the good work!

And now I know not to fall onto glass panes. Thanks for that!

Anakinnnn:
We try to cover both units of measurement when we can, but at some point it becomes overbearing to the audience to constantly convert everything on the screen for everyone so we just try to highlight the most important parts in both metric and imperial to make sure everyone can follow along.

If/When the show becomes popular enough for an added companion column here at the Escapist every week, then we will be able to present our work in more detail with full conversions across the board as well as reference links and variable values input into the equations.

Google allows you to type a value and a measurement type and immediately spit out the conversion if that helps. It takes only the time to type it in your search bar for quick reference.

If you like the show, be sure to share it out and turn your friends on to it so we can get enough of a following and the support required to expand the show even further. Thanks for watching and taking the time to leave feedback!

How about just using imperial units and have subtitles in metric? Or, alternatively, have two jolly engineers with French accents dub the show using all metric and add this as an option.

Surely it was superawesome special anti-Velociraptor glass?!
No, wait... those can employ glass cutters, since them gals are just that smart.

What about some sort of acryllic plastic stuff?
Bulletproof windows are panes of glass with special plastic mesh after all.

By the way, sometimes I get the feeling that the audience believes that WE believe our jokes are funny... but we actually hate ourselves for the things that come out of our mouths and laugh at the absurdity of how unfunny the stuff really is! It's like we are amused ironically. LOL

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

they used it just for. . . SUSPENSE!!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

So, in an attempt to avoid vehicles (because what gamer likes vehicle sections anyway?): in The Abyss, during the drag sequence Bud gets his hand caught in the pneumatic door to a bulkhead and his wedding ring keeps the door open long enough for help to arrive. This seems highly improbable but it is worth asking.

It might be worth noting that in the book by Michael Crichton, it is the camper van's windshield that Dr Harding slams into and then lies on. This a) explains the presence of a large, un-barred pane of glass at the vehicle's end, and b) probably makes it more realistic that the glass withstands her impact.

You only calculated for plain glass (which I agree wouldn't have been used) and tempered safety glass -- the kind that crumbles to small bits not big enough to severly cut you. There is however a third type of glass not mentioned yet: laminated safety glass, consisting of two layers of glass with a layer of transparent sticky plastic stuff inbetween them. This has been used for windshields for a looong time now -- it was introduced in the 1960s, and I haven't seen a tempered windshield in anything made after 1990 yet.

Laminated glass will crack much like the glass in the movie scene does -- the only difference is that it won't shatter completely, being held together by the sticky plastic stuff. So once there are too many cracks, the pane of laminated glass would begin to bend, to sag, and eventually would slip out of its rubber and fall.

Now, that's not what happens in the movie. But I think it might conceivably be what happens in the book. Laminated glass would be the obvious thing to use for a vehicle that might be attacked by animals ... it is not easy to get through it even after it has begun to crack. Tempered glass OTOH would be a really stupid thing to use. Dino bangs it hard enough with a pointy bit of its body, BOOM crinkle crinkle, no more window.

And I hereby claim (from 100% gut feeling) that with laminated safety glass, that scene works.

So it comes down to the movie guys not reading the novel, or not thinking, or not researching, or whatever. Maybe it's also the ambiguousness of the word "trailer" at work here: in the novel, both vehicles -- the motorized one, which you call "the bus", and the one pulled by it -- are referred to as "trailers", so someone not familiar with that usage might easily be confused into thinking that the pulled vehicle -- the trailer in that other sense of that word -- is meant to go over the cliff first. Hence the addition of the "dinosaur-proof armored bus door defeated by gravity" and the "dinosaur sneeze guard", which both are hilarious descriptions of things that indeed make no sense whatsoever.

All this doesn't make JP2 a better movie ... but it does make The Lost World a better novel, so I thought it's worth mentioning anyway.

Still: Great episode! Thank you.

Sincerely: Ermel.

Anakinnnn:

ColbyDane:

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Colby Dane.
RE-AL PHYSICS

I could instead just post "FIRST!" if you like.

Actually, we ban people for that. :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or