Reel Physics: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Pain in the Glass

Pages PREV 1 2

Anakinnnn:
We took a chance on this thinking it might be humorous to throw out phrases like "the chick from the Forgotten" and "chick energy" and keep that tone going through the episode because it personally amused us. More intelligent people than us (You were right, Susan!) warned us ahead of time to maybe re-shoot the episode and cut all of that out but we decided to test the waters and see what the reaction would be, if nothing else but for our own social experiment.

It's never used in a derogatory manner or to be hurtful or disrespectful... and as far as I have always been concerned it was a term of endearment towards female friends the same as you might refer to your male friends as bro, dude, or man... though I suppose based on your social climate and how you were raised, it could come across wrong.

No offense was intended of course.

I don't imagine that any offense was intended, but I'm only 3 minutes into the episode and I had to pause to make this comment. Personally, I found it demeaning to the actor and a tad sexist. I'm glad that someone mentioned it to you before you put the video up.

Anakinnnn:
We took a chance on this thinking it might be humorous to throw out phrases like "the chick from the Forgotten" and "chick energy" and keep that tone going through the episode because it personally amused us. More intelligent people than us (You were right, Susan!) warned us ahead of time to maybe re-shoot the episode and cut all of that out but we decided to test the waters and see what the reaction would be, if nothing else but for our own social experiment.

It's never used in a derogatory manner or to be hurtful or disrespectful... and as far as I have always been concerned it was a term of endearment towards female friends the same as you might refer to your male friends as bro, dude, or man... though I suppose based on your social climate and how you were raised, it could come across wrong.

Thanks for supporting the show!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Meh, I must be from one of those areas where it not seen as bad. Can call my aunt a 'crazy chick' and no one bats an eye. Here it is used much like bro or dude. It's simply a slang term. However I do agree with the other poster that it would have been funnier to have the full 'chick from that movie' line used each time.

And I also agree that adding the pictures in was a good step as well. "No Right Answer" does this as well and it makes it a more relaxed atmosphere.

No matter how much people complain and no matter how much you personally don't find it funny. Never stop including the terrible puns. The worse the better.

LadyRhian:
Great episode! Any ideas on the properties of Vibranium, as demonstrated by the Captain America movie?

I'd like to see them analyse this.

Seriously, you could probably take the apparent force of the explosion and working backwords use it to figure out how much force is in Mjolnir.

Speaking of chicks falling through shit, I wouldn't mind them doing a test on the scene in Underworld where Selene uses her handguns to make a whole in the floor and proceeds to succeed creating a perfect circular hole.

Kmadden2004:
The question I always found myself asking whenever I saw that scene was why was that glass even there?

I mean, why would the guys who made that trailer just bolt a full-length sheet of glass on the inside of the cabin? And on the other side of a frikkin' door, at that? I know I'm not a car manufacturer, or an engineer, but that just seems like a pretty random design choice to me (outside of "the film needs this to be here")

The movie basically ignores the whole buildup of the vehicles, but from my dim memory of the book, the door thing that falls off is some sort of armor for the window you can open/close, or part of a fancy electrocution defense system. That scenes also not in the book though, and probably wouldn't work, cause they do use super-thick bulletproof glass on everything in the book (They were a lot better prepared in it)

The chick? "Chick energy"? Really??

Way to alienate a whole lot of your audience. I'm done with this show.

I think the glass was supposed to be a giant back window that they could open in case it was safe, in order to let sunlight in. It still seems rather dangerous to have a window of that size, but imaginable - and it probably would be some very thick glass.

RE: Avengers

The Avengers is just a nightmare of Reel Physics, albeit a fun movie. For starters, shouldn't Tony Stark have been turned into jelly from all those impacts and sudden acceleration/deceleration? The suit won't protect him from momentum, not unless it has crazy cushioning that greatly slows down the application of force on him.

I'd love to see you guys address Iron Man, though, and particularly whether he could survive being batted around. Thor gets a pass because he's a nigh-magical superhuman. Vibranium might as well be magical, since you can't even lift up a shield that absorbs infinitely high amounts of momentum.

awesome episode! also, keep the outtakes in... just love them :D

Anakinnnn:
It's never used in a derogatory manner or to be hurtful or disrespectful... and as far as I have always been concerned it was a term of endearment towards female friends the same as you might refer to your male friends as bro, dude, or man...

Calling people "dude," "bro" or "man" is already super-annoying and borderline offensive. I'd be pretty pissed off if a guy called me one of those terms. It's objectifying. Use my name! I am not defined by my genitals.

But there's a key difference there - it's men calling other men that name. It crosses the line more when it's men referring to women that way. And those words for men don't exactly have the negative connotations that "chick" does. "Chick" is often used to objectify women, like "let's go to the bar and pick up some chicks." It's not usually a term women use to refer to each other.

"Chick" is much closer in its connotations to "bitch" than "dude." And yes, some females refer to each other as "bitch" - but those are horrible people, females who have absorbed misogyny and use it against other women. Possibly even worse than males who refer to each other as "bro."

The other problem is that it's infantilizing. A chick is a newly-born bird, a tiny thing that can't fend for itself. By contrast, all the masculine terms you mention pay homage to how powerful the man is - it's welcoming them into a club of manhood. You're one of the guys, you're a bro, you have a swinging penis - you're not some helpless baby bird.

Anakinnnn:

ColbyDane:

Anakinnnn:
Hey everyone, thanks for watching this week's episode. The movie is a bit more obscure than our recent superhero episodes but still just as interesting.
I look forward to your comments and feedback as always!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn, you post whore. I swear you sit all morning F5'ing the forums waiting to get first post.

Colby Dane.
RE-AL PHYSICS

I could instead just post "FIRST!" if you like.

I don't think that you guys are immune to the Low Content rule...

'Chick' didn't bother me too much, but it did feel... off. So I guess you have your water test :) (It's the internet - I'm reminded of HSBC adverts where they point out that the okay-hand-signal is offensive in... I think it was Brazil)

Anyway, onto the physics. And I really have only one question: Why-oh-why did you use the woman's velocity to calculate her energy? What was wrong with the gravitational potential energy? m.g.h: she has a height of 4 metres, Earth gravity is 9.81 metres per second squared, and her mass is... whatever you assumed Julianne Moore's mass to be. Much quicker than using the fall distance to calculate the velocity to then calculate the kinetic energy after those 4 metres...

Valagetti:
Speaking of chicks falling through shit, I wouldn't mind them doing a test on the scene in Underworld where Selene uses her handguns to make a whole in the floor and proceeds to succeed creating a perfect circular hole.

Was tested by Mythbusters.

Aardvaarkman:
Calling people "dude," "bro" or "man" is already super-annoying and borderline offensive. I'd be pretty pissed off if a guy called me one of those terms. It's objectifying. Use my name! I am not defined by my genitals.

Aardvaarkman, babe, there are just not that many gender-neutral dismissive or cordial terms out there, and being dismissive of a bad movie character is hardly a crime, no matter the gender. You needlessly make people feel bad with your tantrum.

Aardvaarkman:
The other problem is that it's infantilizing. A chick is a newly-born bird, a tiny thing that can't fend for itself.

"Chick" is from Spanish "chica", which simply means "girl".

Also, just for laughs:

guy
"fellow," 1847, originally American English; earlier (1836) "grotesquely or poorly dressed person," originally (1806) "effigy of Guy Fawkes," leader of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up British king and Parliament (Nov. 5, 1605), paraded through the streets by children on the anniversary of the conspiracy. The male proper name is from French, related to Italian Guido.

Now that is a cool glass simulator program, did it actually let you set the dissipation distance?

anyhoo, busted.. very very busted in fact we have a large red splat on the floor with large pieces of non-safety glass poking out of it ( ouch )

also, i was surprised by the shift towards 'chick' when her name is readily available it seems jarring but it didn't bother me at all i guess females might have a problem with it

cool episode, but it begs the question.. what Is the hair-speed velocity of an unladen t-rex fur-ball?

You know what might be fun? To do a video on Blade where he uses a whippy knife thing to behead vampires. See if you can actually decapitate someone with a wire!

Aardvaarkman:

Anakinnnn:
It's never used in a derogatory manner or to be hurtful or disrespectful... and as far as I have always been concerned it was a term of endearment towards female friends the same as you might refer to your male friends as bro, dude, or man...

But there's a key difference there - it's men calling other men that name. It crosses the line more when it's men referring to women that way. And those words for men don't exactly have the negative connotations that "chick" does. "Chick" is often used to objectify women, like "let's go to the bar and pick up some chicks." It's not usually a term women use to refer to each other.

"Chick" is much closer in its connotations to "bitch" than "dude." And yes, some females refer to each other as "bitch" - but those are horrible people, females who have absorbed misogyny and use it against other women. Possibly even worse than males who refer to each other as "bro."

The other problem is that it's infantilizing. A chick is a newly-born bird, a tiny thing that can't fend for itself. By contrast, all the masculine terms you mention pay homage to how powerful the man is - it's welcoming them into a club of manhood. You're one of the guys, you're a bro, you have a swinging penis - you're not some helpless baby bird.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. There's nothing derogatory about any of those words-- they are all simple english slang. The fact that you take offense to them does not mean that everyone else in society does. And as someone else pointed out, chick is no where near calling a woman a bitch (though even that word anymore is more of a form of endearment).

Double post. Sorry.

I like how you went and calculate what would have made this stunt possible, i.e. what would turn it from Reel to Real.
20mm of glass is what it would take, now we know. Impractical at best, but for all of us non-sciency guys gives us a better perspective.

Aardvaarkman:
It's not usually a term women use to refer to each other.

Women use the term all the time around here. No one sees it as objectifying. I've even seen women here use it to describe themselves "I'm one cool chick".

I guess it's just regional differences.

Another entertaining episode. Keep em coming. I'm enjoying this show much more than I thought I would.

Meander112:

Anakinnnn:

I don't imagine that any offense was intended, but I'm only 3 minutes into the episode and I had to pause to make this comment. Personally, I found it demeaning to the actor and a tad sexist. I'm glad that someone mentioned it to you before you put the video up.

This. The video is still playing and I'm here typing this.

I think if this had been something from Piranha 3DD where buxom blondes are devoured left and right, that is, if the character were treated as "chick" already, I'd maybe be fine with it, but Julianne Moore, an incredibly respected actress and ostensibly one of the protagonists of the movie... nope, she's not "the chick" by any definition, and they ran with the joke to a really uncomfortable extent.

It's as if they tested something with Hannibal Lecter and they kept referring to him as "the old git" all the time.

Also, in what *universe* is The Lost World an "obscure" movie? It's one of the top 100 highest grossing movies of all time, it was directed by Steven Spielberg and it was the direct sequel to a film that defined a generation. It wasn't a good movie, but it certainly was popular.

Don Reba:

"Chick" is from Spanish "chica", which simply means "girl".

Not necessarily. It could be the diminutive form of "bird" which is what the British used as slang for women. Are you sure of that etymology? I find it hard to believe that its common usage is mostly derived from the Spanish, as it has been used in distinctly non-Spanish cultures for so long.

Either way, it's still rather insulting, as they are referring to a grown woman, not a girl. Plenty of women don't like being called "girls."

Jacco:
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. There's nothing derogatory about any of those words-- they are all simple english slang. The fact that you take offense to them does not mean that everyone else in society does.

Who are you to declare that there's nothing derogatory about those words? The fact is they are often used derogatorily. Just because "everyone else" doesn't have a problem with them does not prove that there aren't derogatory uses of them. There are plenty of words that a majority of people have historically been OK with using, but we now find to be objectionable. And it's hardly as if I'm the only one in society who finds this usage disturbing - other posters here have had similar reactions.

It's also not just the word itself. Context matters. Using "chick" once or twice in a funny joke might be OK. It's the way that they repeatedly use the term that is most bothering. They don't ever refer to her in any other way. It feels like every other sentence has "chick" in it. Even if the word didn't have any negative connotations, the constant repetition is really weird.

The other issue with context is that they don;t seem to be using it in a self-depracating manner. Using words like "chick," "slut" or "bitch" can be genuinely funny if it's said by a talented comedian playing the character of an ignorant "dude" - but here it just comes off as mean, because they don't appear to be making fun of themselves for using such stupid words, they seem to be using it seriously.

And as someone else pointed out, chick is no where near calling a woman a bitch (though even that word anymore is more of a form of endearment).

What does "though even that word anymore is more" mean? That sentence doesn't make sense.

Riobux:
As bad as it is, the only thing that kept sticking out was the word "chick, which just made me cringe every time it was said. Maybe it's just a non-American thing though? Just something about that word...

No, I cringed a bit as well.

I understood the joke behind their use of it, it just felt...out of place in their dialog. A bit too forced, perhaps.

Still, another good episode guys. Keep it up!

tdylan:
When I saw this episode on the homepage I thought you would be addressing the electric fence scene from the original JP - whether or not a human could survive 10,000 volts coursing through their bodies, and the subsequent fall to the ground.

Ten thousands volts won't do much unless the amperage is high enough. Though, a very low amperage jolt wouldn't have sent him flying like that. (nor would a high-voltage jolt, for that matter)

DVS BSTrD:
I think your calculations are off, did you remember to subtract the weight of her brain for thinking a cabinet door handle would support her? Then again it is Julianne Moore so it's not like it would have made much of a difference :P

i think you're massively underestimating the strength of two machine bolts!

two 4mm machine screws are plenty strong to hold your weight unless you'r seriously obese and
that's what you'll find on a metal fridge / storage locker 9 times out of 10 that's definitely the most
plausible part of the scene imo

if you want maths, assuming a 12.9 grade 3.1mm id machine bolt at industry standards is 174k lb/in^2
you end up with ( very roughly ) 2000lb, 900kg or pick your preferred unit of poison and you have two
of those! connected by a handy dandy flexible sheet of metal that will act as a nice spring

we could assume it's old or cracked, but it's likely to hold unless you have a poor quality bolt

common grades are 120,000 psi do the math of you want but it's still over 1 ton combined

worst case scenario is a weaker grade of bolt, and all the force being applied as shock in sheer
generally you use 50%-60% depending on the application and installation
i really don't know how to calculate the force applied by a bolt head to a sheet of metal
but i know from experience that the sheet gives before the bolt if it's much thinner than the head
and the head sheers off otherwise

so absolute worst case scenario is you only have 500kg of tensile strength
that's plenty to hold a skinny actor all day, even after several g's of acceleration

( and frankly that handle looks quite large, it could be attached by more than two bolts of even larger size )

so,
just fyi
grab a fridge if you're falling!

The Lugz:

DVS BSTrD:
I think your calculations are off, did you remember to subtract the weight of her brain for thinking a cabinet door handle would support her? Then again it is Julianne Moore so it's not like it would have made much of a difference :P

i think you're massively underestimating the strength of two machine bolts!

two 4mm machine screws are plenty strong to hold your weight unless you'r seriously obese and
that's what you'll find on a metal fridge / storage locker 9 times out of 10 that's definitely the most
plausible part of the scene imo

if you want maths, assuming a 12.9 grade 3.1mm id machine bolt at industry standards is 174k lb/in^2
you end up with ( very roughly ) 2000lb, 900kg or pick your preferred unit of poison and you have two
of those! connected by a handy dandy flexible sheet of metal that will act as a nice spring

we could assume it's old or cracked, but it's likely to hold unless you have a poor quality bolt

common grades are 120,000 psi do the math of you want but it's still over 1 ton combined

worst case scenario is a weaker grade of bolt, and all the force being applied as shock in sheer
generally you use 50%-60% depending on the application and installation
i really don't know how to calculate the force applied by a bolt head to a sheet of metal
but i know from experience that the sheet gives before the bolt if it's much thinner than the head
and the head sheers off otherwise

so absolute worst case scenario is you only have 500kg of tensile strength
that's plenty to hold a skinny actor all day, even after several g's of acceleration

( and frankly that handle looks quite large, it could be attached by more than two bolts of even larger size )

so,
just fyi
grab a fridge if you're falling!

And you seem to have massively overestimated the ability of said door to remain closed while you're hanging from it.
And they covered the fridge last week! :P

Shouldn't you have called it "pane in the glass"? Double the pun, double the fun.

DVS BSTrD:
And you seem to have massively overestimated the ability of said door to remain closed while you're hanging from it.
And they covered the fridge last week! :P

it may or may not open, depends on the fridge it's completely plausible either way
but that wasn't the original comment, the point is structurally there's nothing wrong
with holding onto a fridge and the scene makes total sense there
i cant imagine why anyone would be partuicularly air headed for holding onto one
the 'sarah' character simply failed to hold on well enough

Ok, you work out that the glass would have broken, but you didn't do why the glass started to crack after she landed on it

-M

Anakinnnn:

ColbyDane:

Anakinnnn:
Hey everyone, thanks for watching this week's episode. The movie is a bit more obscure than our recent superhero episodes but still just as interesting.
I look forward to your comments and feedback as always!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn, you post whore. I swear you sit all morning F5'ing the forums waiting to get first post.

Colby Dane.
RE-AL PHYSICS

Is it possible to be banned from the comments on your own show?

Out of interest, is there a reason you didn't just figure the change in gravitational potential as she fell (Change in energy= mass*g*change in altitude)? You already had an estimate for the distance she fell, and you had to have taken a stab at the mass, so why not swap out 2 or 3 equations for just 1?

Love this show. Love every episode. But you said 'chick' waaaaayyy too much, it got seriously irritating in the first 3 minutes. Maybe you could vary it up next time with other words? Dame, broad, girl, etc. Also, you could have mentioned Children of Men, Hannibal,maybe others for Julianne Moore. You're usually more creative with your references.

Also, I think it would be funny to hear Jason say 'shorty' in a non-ironic tone.

***EDIT: Ugh, Aardvark, STOP TALKING.

***I can see that other people noticed 'chick' as well, and some are just going too far. The only problem I had was that they ONLY used ***'chick' and that got really boring. Just like only mentioning The Forgotten.

***I mainly use 'chick' and 'dude' even while talking to the person I'm describing, and its just like saying 'human' or 'living creature'.

Ohlookit'sMatty:
Ok, you work out that the glass would have broken, but you didn't do why the glass started to crack after she landed on it

-M

I assume it's because the weight shifted from being dispersed across a large area, to concentrated on her hands and knees.

Susan Arendt:

Anakinnnn:

Actually, we ban people for that. :)

I was actually going to say it'd be funny to post that due to the fact it's something they'd get in trouble for. XD

Good episode. A similar scene to this that might work is the scene where (spoilers):

Mind you, that's just me trying to figure out something to add to the post to make it not just me trying to get Jason in trouble.

I love the fact that when the door she's hanging on to opens, a ton of stuff falls out with her. You can see it falling in the slow-mo when it flips open and she slips off the handle. In the next part, where's she's in free-fall, no stuff in the air and none of it lands on the glass with her.

The real magic trick isn't the glass. It's the disappearing party cups!

American Fox:
***I mainly use 'chick' and 'dude' even while talking to the person I'm describing, and its just like saying 'human' or 'living creature'.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would you refer to a person you are talking to as 'human' or 'living creature' rather than by their name? That doesn't seem very respectful.

It also doesn't sound very believable. Do you seriously refer to your coworkers as "chick" or "dude"? You're in a meeting, and your manager expresses disappointment about sales not meeting expectations, and you say "It's OK, chick, we expect sales to be better next quarter"?

American Fox:
***EDIT: Ugh, Aardvark, STOP TALKING.

Is this how you usually deal with people who have differing opinions? Telling them to shut up?

Anakinnnn:

Thanks for supporting the show!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

I found it entertaining, people just tend to be oversensitive about some subjects around the escapist, they are generally safe to ignore. :P

The chick? "Chick energy"? Really??

Way to alienate a whole lot of your audience. I'm done with this show.

As demonstrated!

Loved the show, cant wait for the next one!

PS I too am interested in the water ripples from the dinosaur steps in the first movie!

Well, I had thought to use your clip in teaching my physics for engineers class - we're covering work and energy right now. However, I think your script would be pretty off-putting to my female students. Phrases like "a chick's velocity", "women are a mystery to begin with, but analyzing the forces they impart on a surface.." It's more of a "physics-boys-club" mentality. I have to fight those stereotypes enough as it is. It's a shame - I would have liked to have used it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here