No Right Answer: Best Disney Villain Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3

MortisLegio:

JaredXE:
Frollo from Hunchback. Attempted rape of Esmerelda, attempted burning of Esmerelda, genocide, burning of Paris.....yeah, this guy beats Scar's ass.

On the otherhand, you guys forgot to mention that because Scar was king, ALL the females had to....submit.... to him, including Simba's mom and Nala. There was a lot of implied raping going on.

Agreed. He also is one of the very few Disney villains that doesn't see himself as evil but rather as a force for good. That and he does have the best villain song ever.

Yeah, I'm throwing in another vote for Frollo. Not only is that song freaking awesome, but it's truly amazing how much Disney got away with when translating that particular character into a movie that's supposed to be kid-friendly. While they did make him a little more despicable than he was in Hugo's novel, it's amazing how well they were able to portray the "religious convictions vs. earthly lusts" conflict without explicitly saying it. It's one of those things that you may not catch as a kid, but when you're older you think "Wow... that's actually pretty messed up." Oh, and let's not forget his death scene. It's the traditional Disney villain death (falling from a high place) with a twist; you basically see him falling straight into Hell. Yes, Hell.

Also, Tony Jay. Just... Tony Jay.

I don't think that Jafar is the best Disney villain. But he's definitely the sleaziest. The first thing he does after taking over is put Jasmine in a bikini.
Also, this episode makes me want to have a discussion for Best Disney Sidekick, definitely a trickier subject.

Funny story to all you Frollo supporters...

When we were originally discussing the choices for this episode, I was firmly in the Frollo Is Best Villain camp, but after a few moments decided (quite wrongly I should add), that too many people would be angry that Scar wasn't mentioned, and thus, I went with my second choice. It turns out that the opposite is true, though I'd assume a handful of people would have been angry about Scar's absence as well.

Basically, take heart Frollovians. I am on your side...just not enough to side with the ultimate evil.

But man, could you imagine if Disney made a movie where Frollo tries to kill a bunch of Disney characters and rides Scar around the battlefield? I'd watch that.

I find Maleficent to be the scariest...like a biblical "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" level of evil. She gave me nightmares as a child (and *gasp* it didn't damage my psyche as a kid).

The implied rape from Scar is tons worse than Jafar, though not something a kid would ever understand. Quite frankly, the allegories always take liberties with logistics, I mean, nobody ever minded that Nala was Simba's half-sister.

Shan Yu in Mulan was the leader of the Mongol horde, the epitome of mean badass mofo. He was a caricature, sure, but so was Jafar. I see this has been argued already, so let's put these two aside.

Still, if we are going with pure malice and opportunity for devastation, the only one who can hold a candle to Frollo (who is my pick for best villain), is Rourke (James Garner's character) from Atlantis.

Just as much genocide and murder going on there, though not as evil/slimy as Frollo. Frollo is worse b/c rape and racism, whereas Rourke's evil is a cold, calculated, almost corporate evil.

If by "best" we mean most charismatic, gotta go with Hades, and Keith David's Facilier a close second.

Chris Pranger:

But man, could you imagine if Disney made a movie where Frollo tries to kill a bunch of Disney characters and rides Scar around the battlefield? I'd watch that.

This is so much win! You are my hero sir!!!

Shere Khan is without equal. Scar (as best as Jeremy Irons might try) just comes across as a cheap knock-off.
Shere Khan (voiced by George Sanders) possesses that delightful mixture of charm and malice that few can match. Its like Hans Gruber via Eton and the Oxford, followed by a extended period in the diplomatic corp.

Scar wants to include the oppressed minority hyenas, that makes him racially tolerant, that negates whatever Hitler points he got from having hyenas goose-step.
The Shadowman is by far the best.

shieldheart204:
I just noticed that there is no better villain than a Disney Villain. What other villains (outside Disney) deserve to be among these fine specimens of pure evil?

Sympathetic villains, of course.

Nox and Quilby from Wakfu
Mr. Freeze as re-imagined by Batman: The Animated Series
Johann Liebert from Monster
etc.

Also, Doctor Doom. Just... Doom.

Frollo was by far the worst Disney villain to date. Second is Ratigan from TGMD (I say the acronym of the title). And Maleficent wasn't bad because she couldn't come to a wedding: she was the mistress of all evil and it was a BABY SHOWER she wasn't invited to. You guys REALLY freaking messed up on this list. I think you truly half-assed this one. By the way I'll let you slide on Mulan even though the "Huns" leader mass murdered and other unspoken badness in the film.

Ratigan (Vincent Price... also Goodbye so Soon) and Doctor Facillier (Friends on the other side)

I'll nominate Radcliffe, the closest Pochahontas had to a villain. At least as I remember him from when I was a kid.

I do love that song. It terrified me as a kid. Pretty much my themesong when I play grand strategy games now, though.

What I love about Radcliffe is that he isn't ridiculously evil, or very evil at all, really. He's ruthless and greedy, and that is why he acts like he does, not because he is an evil being. He's just an exploitative dick, and I rather like villains like that.

It's rather frightening to see how Radcliffe uses the men's wish to save their mate to his own ends by whipping up hatred towards the "others". That is how real evil works and is perpetrated.

(Of course, my opinion on Radcliffe had been much worse if they hadn't gotten that fantastic voice actor. The rest of the Swedish dubbing in that film is horrid, but at least they got Mr. Pimp up there right)

I've not watched much classic Disney since I was a kid, but I vaguely remember Jafar being menacing about as magic brooms, so it's got to be Scar.

Out of the choices on the table I'd say Scar. But my favourite Disney villain is easily Hades.

The best villain is always the one who ACTUALLY thinks he is the good guy all along: Frollo
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TautologicalTemplar

Chris Pranger:
Funny story to all you Frollo supporters...

When we were originally discussing the choices for this episode, I was firmly in the Frollo Is Best Villain camp, but after a few moments decided (quite wrongly I should add), that too many people would be angry that Scar wasn't mentioned, and thus, I went with my second choice. It turns out that the opposite is true, though I'd assume a handful of people would have been angry about Scar's absence as well.

Basically, take heart Frollovians. I am on your side...just not enough to side with the ultimate evil.

You could have made a tournament to decide who is the best villain.

One video for each "battle" all the way to the best of the best.

Choosing just 2 people out of many, just for 1 video, isnt going to be enough for some people.

So far, they didnt mention:
Doctor Facillie from Princess and The Frog
The Horned King from Black Cauldron
Ratigan from The Mouse Detective
Shere Khan from Jungle Book

Barciad:
Shere Khan is without equal. Scar (as best as Jeremy Irons might try) just comes across as a cheap knock-off.
Shere Khan (voiced by George Sanders) possesses that delightful mixture of charm and malice that few can match. Its like Hans Gruber via Eton and the Oxford, followed by a extended period in the diplomatic corp.

Thank you! The guy is definitely in competition to be the king of Disney Villians. He's a man-eating tiger that has literally the entire jungle scared of him. A pack of wolves can't protect Mowgli from him. A black panther and a bear can't hope to defeat Khan, not even with the help of a few vultures. The tiger's got the entirety of the jungle under his paw, he eats humans for breakfast, and the only thing that stops him from killing Mowgli is a lucky lightning strike. He doesn't need a pack of hyenas to conquer the land, all he needs is a smooth voice and the ability to kill whoever he wants whenever he wants.

Apollo45:

Barciad:

Thank you! The guy is definitely in competition to be the king of Disney Villians. He's a man-eating tiger that has literally the entire jungle scared of him. A pack of wolves can't protect Mowgli from him. A black panther and a bear can't hope to defeat Khan, not even with the help of a few vultures. The tiger's got the entirety of the jungle under his paw, he eats humans for breakfast, and the only thing that stops him from killing Mowgli is a lucky lightning strike. He doesn't need a pack of hyenas to conquer the land, all he needs is a smooth voice and the ability to kill whoever he wants whenever he wants.

DITTO!!!

I am thoroughly in the same camp as both of you in recognizing Shere Khan as one of THE best Disney villains. In fact he was my first choice--without hesitation--until the others mentioned Frollo.

Frollo...

Yeah Chris, you dropped the ball there. Yup.

Yep, Jafar tries to molest the princess

But if you watch the musical version of TLK, Nala actually runs away from the pridelands cos Scar tried to rape her. And he has a total mental breakdown too.

TheDoctor455:
No, the leader of the Huns in Mulan is the best villain. Hell, all of the huns in there are awesome.

In retrospect, they survived an avalanche to be beat by Mulan and three men in drag wielding only fruit.

Mikejames:

TheDoctor455:
No, the leader of the Huns in Mulan is the best villain. Hell, all of the huns in there are awesome.

In retrospect, they survived an avalanche to be beat by Mulan and three men in drag wielding only fruit.

Yes. But if you were a soldier, would you really expect that to happen?

What plausible reason would you have to expect that aside from an unbelievable amount of paranoia.

TheDoctor455:

What plausible reason would you have to expect that aside from an unbelievable amount of paranoia.

Violent invaders take over the palace and bar the gates. They are soon approached by several giggling women.

Seems legit.

Mikejames:

TheDoctor455:

Violent invaders take over the palace and bar the gates. They are soon approached by several giggling women.

Seems legit.

Yes, but I highly doubt that the what... 5 guys that had survived the avalanche would've had time to do a full sweep of the entire palace by that point.

TheDoctor455:
Yes, but I highly doubt that the what... 5 guys that had survived the avalanche would've had time to do a full sweep of the entire palace by that point.

I suppose five guys taking dominion over a city's capital building should be enough merit in itself, even if it only lasted about ten minutes..
But hey, kudos to Shan Yu for respecting a woman as a worthwhile opponent.

Fraud, defamation, blackmail, murder, bribery, attempted infanticide, sexual harassment, political corruption, using the local authorities like private thugs....

Great episode. When it started I was all like "Yeah, this one goes to Scar, no question." and then, "Oh, that's a good point about Jafar...oh yeah that's a good point about Scar...oh wait, that's another good point about Jafar...but yeah, that's a good point about Scar....aaargh which one is the best villain, I don't know anymore!!!"

okay nobodies going to read this and its proabley been said already but i don't care. Maleficent is the all time greatest disney villian. you pass her off because she gets pissed that nobody invited her to a party but come on this bitch was just using that as an excuse to fuck with people. this is a woman that waits until the happiest day in the land to take a shit all over everyone by cursing a fucking baby. and what was the curse? I'm gonna wait until your at your most beautiful and desireable, the moment when your just blossoming into a women and then your gonna DIE!!! That is evil.

And thats even before you look at the womans power. she controls an army of monsters. lives in a castle where its always night and always storming, shes a sorceress, and oh yeah, she can turn into a fucking dragon!!! you could write a meme just about that. "I'm a dragon, your argument is invalid". oh did i also mention that she's in leuage with the devil? go back and watch the movie, just before she turns into a dragon she says "face me and all the powers of hell" she has demonic poweres. this is the only time that hell is mentioned in a disney animated movie to my knowledge. that ups the stakes.

And she wins!!! she beats all the plots and plans schemed up to stop the curse. the curse happens. the only reason movie didn't end with GAME OVER, was because of the combined powers of the that worlds three greatest light magic wielders and the greatest swords man the kingdom could throw at her. Say what you will about prince phillip, he takes on an army, then cuts through a literal maze of thorns and beats a dragon. that is a bad ass swordsman.

I truely enjoy the preformance of Scar and Jafar is a pretty evil guy but Maleficent owns the role of villian. all it takes is crack from her staff on the floor and i still get goosebumps.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here