SOCOM But Not Forgotten

SOCOM But Not Forgotten

Lamenting the last days of one of gaming's finest military shooters.

Read Full Article

Its rather unfortunate that SOCOM never really took off in the new generation. Other than Halo it seemed like it was the other big console shooter at the time.

Never played them, but I have always had a respect for that series. I never had a PS2 until way late in the cycle and the bad word of mouth on the PS3 games kept me away as well.

er mer gerd...

Remeniscing my favorite shooter of all time in an article? bah.

I truly wish there was a PC port of this, i'd play it for days on end. By far the most advanced and best third person shooter for it's time, i can't tell you how much i enjoyed that tense strategy in those games. Still remember getting the game early and staying in the top 100 leaderboard for the first week, was very stressful XD

Desert Glory and vigilance are still two of my favorite maps to this day, even though desert glory usually ended up being a "who shot first" battle in the jail cell.

Also, team sniper matches on vigilance was the shit, took true aim to really hook someone with a headshot in socom II

Nice to see a surprisingly heartwrenching retrospective on old glories.

Sadly, Xbox Live killed a whole slew of online-enabled games like SOCOM as well as No One Lives Forver, which I was huge in at the time.

This is what I miss in modern gaming.
It just isn't the same without the community, the brotherhood.

Makes you wonder what's going to happen to games now. Damn-near all of them use online connectivity in some way. For quite a few it's the way to play them. What happens when those servers go down? Well that game is crippled and whatever experience the developer intended is now lost forever.

I wish consoles had a way to let the community run the games like on the PC. Maybe then we'd still be able to hop on Halo 2 or SOCOM.

*sigh*

You still get that sense of community in the pc era. theres a free to play game called hawken that ive fallen in love with. Its the first time that ive been allowed to do things like join a clan and get to know everybody. High skill and learning curves that keep you and your better teammates up and trying harder. Its a fps where you pilot a mech in multiplayer enviroments and its free to play so if it sounds like your thing check it out. And also Im gwynbleidd7263 of the blacksteelbrotherhood and we are always recruiting(as of this post anyway)

Really great article. I played a lot of damn SOCOM II. Still have my official socom headset from SOCOM I. Right in the feels. This is a beautiful tribute to the greatest shooter I've ever played.

Made me nostalgia hard. Crossroads was my favorite map but there was so many good ones. This was the first online game I ever played and I still have memories of shooting people up.

No IWs aloud and you better not use that nube tube.

Shit Zipper is no more? Why wasn't that reported more? ): No MAG 2?..... Fuck man...

TheSapphireKnight:
Its rather unfortunate that SOCOM never really took off in the new generation. Other than Halo it seemed like it was the other big console shooter at the time.

Never played them, but I have always had a respect for that series. I never had a PS2 until way late in the cycle and the bad word of mouth on the PS3 games kept me away as well.

Having played pretty much all the prior SOCOM games, the bad word of mouth kept even ME from playing the PS3 ones. Nobody in their right mind would blame you.

This feature really made me smile. It was a surprisingly sweet send-off to a game that is obviously close to the author's heart. I could name one or two games I feel similar about

However, this also illustrates my negative opinion about all the metrics tracking this generation has. As it says in the feature, today's multiplayer games are about killstreaks and levels, instead of community. All the old shooters, like SOCOM II, never had the RPG elements games like CoD or Battlefield have today. While these elements were an interesting addition to the multiplayer shooter formula, I believe they are the main reason (alongside the increasing popularity of online shooters among the general, unwashed public) that online shooters have seen this transition from playing the game for the pure enjoyment of the gameplay and community, to playing the game for the main purpose of leveling up and beating all the other players.

It's the same reason I don't like the idea of Achievements very much. They are a cool idea, but they make everything about completionism, instead of just enjoying the game for the sake of the game.

Anyway, great feature!

thatsthespirit:
SOCOM But Not Forgotten

Lamenting the last days of one of gaming's finest military shooters.

Read Full Article

Thank you so much for writing this article, it just brought back so many fantastic gaming memories for me. Socom 2 was the first shooter I ever played online, and all these years later I still have friends from that game that I keep in contact with, such was the sense of community that game built.

So much about the game I'd forgotten though, like the voting thing. I remember, more than once, accidentally kicking our last living player due to too many people voting at once. And being on the receiving end of that aswell.

I feel sorry for anyone growing up in the CoD era. No community, no teamwork, you might as well just be shooting at bots. Socom was truly something else, and I'm sad to see it go.

Zachary Amaranth:

TheSapphireKnight:

Having played pretty much all the prior SOCOM games, the bad word of mouth kept even ME from playing the PS3 ones. Nobody in their right mind would blame you.

did you ever play the ps3 ones? the first one was god awful, you couldn't sell that to your local game store for more than a couple bucks, and the newer one switched up the camera angle and was drawing too much from other shooters, didn't have the "socom" feel to it (played extensively in the multiplayer beta thing, didn't get the game though)

gmaverick019:
did you ever play the ps3 ones? the first one was god awful, you couldn't sell that to your local game store for more than a couple bucks, and the newer one switched up the camera angle and was drawing too much from other shooters, didn't have the "socom" feel to it (played extensively in the multiplayer beta thing, didn't get the game though)

Was the first one confrontation? The one that had a few of the classic maps thrown in to try and bring in the nostalgia crowd?

I remember buying it because HOLY SHIT A NEW SOCOM GAME!! but it really just wasn't the same. Damned nostalgia, blinding my decision making skills...

WaysideMaze:

gmaverick019:

Was the first one confrontation? The one that had a few of the classic maps thrown in to try and bring in the nostalgia crowd?

I remember buying it because HOLY SHIT A NEW SOCOM GAME!! but it really just wasn't the same. Damned nostalgia, blinding my decision making skills...

yepp, a few classic maps for "LOOK! NOSTALGIA!" and the gameplay to follow with was shite, thankfully i was late to the part with getting a ps3 so confrontation was like 15 bucks when i bought it.

Fell into the same nostalgia hole, and as we both learned it was clearly not the game(s) we loved and remembered.

I know how you feel man. Reading that article reminded me of Halo 2 and how much fun I had in that. Even Halo 3 to some extent. Back when you could get on and most of the people were friendly and pleasant to talk to. I fondly remember doing all kinds of custom games with people I had only met the game before (demolition Derby at coag was the best). Now though I don't even bother plugging my mic in unless I'm in a party with a guy I've been friends with on Xbox Live for years now. Especially since everyone who talks is some homophobic, racist, hate monger.

Sure there were people like that in Halo 2 and especially Halo 3 but there were a lot of nice people to make up for it at least. Oh well I guess there's not much one can do about it now.

I remember playing socom 3 back in the day I had so much fun with that game. I also had a headset for that game.

I think Socom 3 and Tony Hawks Underground were the two games I played the most on the ps2 online.

100% agreed. Sad day.

Ugh, that article hit me hard. SOCOM got me into online console gaming. I still remember playing on Abandoned back in SOCOM I (by far the best iteration of the map).

Hell, I still remember the first time someone came into the game with their GameShark cheats loaded up and murdered everyone with a rapid-fire 50-cal sniper rifle on full auto while hopping around up in the sky. Of course, that was fixed for SOCOM II.

Crossroads, Desert Glory, Frostfire, they were all amazing. The games also had some pretty great clan support after a while, and don't even get me started on the lobby system. Need to warm up for a clan match? Hop into a "shotgun" room and run around no-scoping people with sniper rifles. Those were the most intense battles ever... I didn't get a PS3 because of how expensive it was, but I was always tempted to buy one just to get the newest SOCOM games. That is, until a friend who I'd played all of the PS2 games with told me how badly the first PS3 SOCOM game had been butchered. But still, I'll remember the good times, like getting the VIPs out on Fox Hunt or, conversely, simply waiting on the giant mountain in the middle of the map for the other team to bring them out into the open.

*wistful sigh*

Wow I had completely forgotten about my old socom games, should dig them out for a run in the campaign someday. Ah memories :-)

I know that feeling when the game community isn't the same as it was on "better days"

This happened to me on WoW couple of times with few guilds. I mean it was my best time in WoW when I was on those guilds, but then they died or something else and after that I didn't find guilds like them so I stopped playing it.

Other game was BF3 when I randomly applyed to some platoon and the people in it were great, but again it died and the game wasn't the same without those people playing together. Oh this sadness it brings when I look back to those "better days".

I have a feeling that five or six years from now I'm going to be feeling the same way about DayZ.

I've formed many a camaraderie through that game.

This kind of society still survives in PC Gaming if you can make the hurdle, Arma 2 and its baby DayZ are especially good for community in the same style.

Khravv:
This is what I miss in modern gaming.
It just isn't the same without the community, the brotherhood.

The larger the group of people involved, the more the cockheads shine through for some god awful reason.

Ghost Recon takes up the mantle to a degree. It's not a perfect replacement, but I've found that people work together and good tactics are rewarded as well as communication and organizing your abilities to better help your team. It's far more tactical than Battlefield.

This article reminds me a lot of the golden days of Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos Theory MP. I made actual friendships on xbox live from that, that persist years later. That hasn't happened since.

That was the game that taught me to sneak. Sneaking used to be so much more fun than it is now. I almost got to the point where I just play the Hitman stuff like a shooter.

Thank you for such a warm, heart-felt article about a game I myself have put so much time into. I too remember the near-instant deaths on Fish Hook, when it felt like the sky was falling from dozens of grenades being thrown by the terrorist team. Yeah, I was terrible, but I got the SOCRACK feeling really quickly once I got online. In all my time on Zipper's 'real' SOCOM franchise, I've put around 10,000 hours into the four games. There are tons of forums online now dedicated to games, both past and present, of which I didn't really know existed when SOCOM was still popular. You're right that the community feeling has fallen off in recent years, due to a complete lack of those types of resources in-game. Hopefully we'll get a new SOCOM with the PS4, and if it's good, then that would be enough to make me want to buy it.

Cheers from America.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here