Top 5 Friday: Top 5 First Person Shooters

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Top 5 First Person Shooters

This week, Matt discusses the five first person shooters that define the genre.

Watch Video

Pretty solid list, the only thing I would have put in here was Painkiller: Black Edition. That game KICKED ASS!

But all in all a really good list.

Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3?

Whatever, I suppose...

Counter Strike is a bit of an acquired taste.

Half Life 2 is a decent choice I suppose.

But Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3?

Mmm. Mostly modern military stuff. Personally I say original DOOM, Serious Sam, Unreal all the way.

But you misused the word "Literally". This... This is unforgiveable.

Love the editing on this one - fluid flow through all. Made me want to play CS XD

No Goldeneye. No point.

Hrumph.

I'd take out Battlefield 3, and put in the first Modern Warfare but besides that, it's a decent enough list. And having Half Life 2 at number one should make people here happy anyway.

I miss Lisa Foiles

Filler, filler lengthen post lengthen post...
Snobby opinionated statement
Yay Modern Warfare wasn't on the list! Suck it you piece of shit franchise.

Yeah, like every 'top five' list everywhere this show is entire subjective and heavily based on personal taste. Little point and no value in these kind of things. Unimpressed by both this and the last episode, so count me out as far as this new 'contribution' is concerned.

Goldeneye doesn't hold up? Ok then, you tell me another game that lets duel wield fucking rocket launchers, laser guns, and lets me fool around with a watch laser!

I wanted some Bioshock somewhere on the list but I like most the games on the list.

Does TF2 generally not get recognized as being an FPS? Aside from Wolfenstein/Doom, I'd not really played any FPS games until I got the Orange Box and became hooked on TF2 (although it's since become a hat store instead of a game... but it was a fun, well-balanced game for those couple of years).

Meh, if you're going to do a Top 5, it needs to be a zany top 5, Lisa Foiles style. This is just boring an uninspired.

Welp, glad to see Lisa Foiles has made a comeback as three geeky guys. And really sick of these lists appearing everywhere. I mean top 5 FPS's how vague can you get, its a hole entire genre, how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)? I dunno I just prefer something more insightful, than just someones opinion and why it is their opinion, based on their own aquired tastes. Jesus Christ that doesn't make any sense!

Valagetti:
Welp, glad to see Lisa Foiles has made a comeback as three geeky guys. And really sick of these lists appearing everywhere. I mean top 5 FPS's how vague can you get, its a hole entire genre, how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)? I dunno I just prefer something more insightful, than just someones opinion and why it is their opinion, based on their own aquired tastes. Jesus Christ that doesn't make any sense!

Agreed. This was an insipid subject, even by "top 5" show standards. Nothing about the choices were particularly remarkable, and the games weren't even presented in an interesting way. If a video can't even hold my attention for just 5 minutes, there is a problem.

"Top 5 religious games"...now that would hold my attention, if only because it is a real challenge that it forces the presenters to do some serious research and persuasive writing (if only to find that Neverhood is number 1).

Far Cry 3 is the most least immersive, casual, boring, first person shooter I have ever played. It has button prompts everywhere, terrible AI (compared to Far Cry 2) and forced RPG elements to extend gameplay time. The only good thing it has going for it is the pretty visuals and the pretty good script. Goldeneye aged horribly.

Could have been a good list but you are missing good games like Serious Sam, TimeSplitters 2 and STALKER: Shadow Of Chernobyl. Lisa Foiles was only interesting because she bounced around in tight clothing, her Monkey Island video was the best one because of this.

Didnt anyone else found Battlefield 3 slugish? Like how Bad Company 1 felt slugish and then BC2 fixed it? Im hoping that it was because of the fact that it was a new engine and that BF4 fixes some of the issues.

Im sad that there is no Goldeneye-Perfect Dark-Timesplitters type of game in the list, and I do think that Call of Duty 4 also deserves a spot.

With all that said this Top 5 could have chosen a better topic to talk about, there are so many Top 5 or even Top 10 FPS lists that this doesnt became all that interesting to watch

So you go from inspiring classic to modern shooter because of the graphics back to inspiring classic. What ever. I hope this isn't the real top 5 because it's pretty boring. Play some Metroid Prime dammit!

Edit: I do believe Half-Life 2 does deserve a place on a the top 5 list though.

Half Life 2. What a surprise...

Well I guess no matter how overrated I think it is, there will always be tons of people who call it the greatest thing ever.

Far Cry 3 seemed like an odd choice too. I mean it was good but not THAT good Neither was Battlefield 3.

I probably would have put the original Halo at number 5 and also put Bioshock at number 1.

Goldeneye would also make the list for me.

Eh, I would've swapped out Far Cry 3 and BF3 for Doom and Bioshock. Besides that this episode had a decent enough list.

Well this wasn't entirely bad, just boring.

For me, I sorta liked the subject of the last video because of how specific the topic was. Topics about a specific game could lead to diverse and varied list themes.

That is what I liked about Lisa Foiles' Top five lists. The Majority of topics were topics that weren't regularly covered by top# lists. She also had an entertaining personality and went way more in depth about why it was her choice and rarely sounded like she was aping someone else' reasoning made hundreds of times before.

Top 5 first person shooters? I mean really, who else guessed that he would put Battlefield/Far cry 3 before the video started. So plain and regular.

My list:

5. Modern warfare 1. I despise what the series has become, but at the time that was a really fun game, and one of the first modern shooters to really hold up.
4. Quake (series). This hurts me a little bit, as I was a unreal tournament man myself. But I cannot deny that this series is the one which started it all, had the bigger impact, and the bigger following.
3. Bioshock. I don't need to explain this one, do I?
2. Battlefield (series). Being a huge fan of the series I have countless hours invested into this game. The game made somekind of innovative progression with each installment, and every game in the series is to this day still hilariously fun to play. There just isn't any other game out there with the "battlefield" moments. Where else can you crash your jeep onto a tank, skyrocket into the air to hit a low helicopter, with a jet landing on top of you soon after for good measure?
1. Source (everything). Yes, I know this is a complete cop-out, but this list wouldn't be very fun if it was correct. It would instead look like this: Left for Dead, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike and Half life 2. Valve just knows how to do their shit.

Honorable mentions goes out to Borderlands for being absolutely kickass, and Goldeneye 64 because everyone loves it for some unknown reason (ok, its a little bit fun I guess..fine, a lot of fun!).

Halo disqualified for its horrendously bad community.

No Timesplitters or Bioshock... *lights torch* HERESY, SNUFF IT OUT!!!

Not a bad list, and I suppose I should be happy that the geniuses at Valve took first place. But surely TF2 and Painkiller should feature. I loved Goldeneye in its day, but the controls stop it deserving a spot on a top five list.

For the most part, I can agree with everything on the list. I also agree with Goldeneye. As much as I loved the game, it's not all that special beyond being a great amount of fun and legitimizing FPS games on consoles. You can go on and on about how it was so much fun, but objectively it really didn't do much. Before anyone says it, no, Goldeneye wasn't the first FPS to use weapon reloading mechanics. It was Marathon in '94.

Honestly, hard to find a list of top 10 fps's or whatever without HL2. It was groundbreaking back in '04 but it didn't age well. Personally not agree´ng with the list but it's personal taste so.

My top 5 would be this:
Painkiller
Serious Sam
Killzone
Borderlands 1 and 2
Metro 2033

Um... Where is Lisa Foyles?

I like the new series from smosh, its a good list. Kinda disagree with Battlefield 3 though, it is the weakest in the Battlefield series.

Battlefield 3? I know it LOOKS good, but did you even play 1942?

Also Half-life 2 is not great. Even when I played it in '04, I found it dull and limiting.

This guy is a doofus. He REALLY wanted to put CoD and every CoD predecessor and successor on that entire list.

You can't have a top5 FPS list without DOOM. It's like having a top 5 comedians of all time and not putting down Richard Pryor it's stupid and anyone that doesn't include Doom or Pryor should be ignored as such.

I could not disagree with this list anymore I think.

Phuctifyno:
No Goldeneye. No point.

Hrumph.

Goldeneye doesn't stand up very well - especially with the N64 controller being the three-pronged made-for-squids thing it is. But I'm inclined to agree; at the least Perfect Dark should've made its way onto the list. Honestly, if I was making a list of most influential first-person shooters of all time (not quality-wise, just influence on the genre), it'd be DOOM, Goldeneye, Halo, and Call of Duty 4. I can't decide of Unreal of Battlefield 2 would get a 5th place (Unreal Tournament 3 set the standard for years, but the influence wore out as console shooters gained legitimacy... Battlefield 2's impact kind of continues to this day).

0takuMetalhead:
Honestly, hard to find a list of top 10 fps's or whatever without HL2. It was groundbreaking back in '04 but it didn't age well. Personally not agree´ng with the list but it's personal taste so.

My top 5 would be this:
Painkiller
Serious Sam
Killzone
Borderlands 1 and 2
Metro 2033

No it isn't. For him it's about credibility or it should be. If you measure games by personal enjoyment then that opens this list up to absolutely ANYTHING because why we enjoy something doesn't need to translate to quality/influence. By your standard I could put Daikatana or SIN on this because they were games that me and my dad played together and those were times I enjoyed more then alot of games that should come before those two. Were they at all influential to the direction of FPS's no but they were times I enjoyed, see the problem?

Also no one that knows video game FPS's fills their top 5 list with Counter Strike, Farcry 3 AND certainly not Battlefield 3! If he wanted to put Counter Strike or Battlefield on top 5 multiplayer FPS shooter of all time fine whatever, but it isn't. Here are some things that ANY game journalist worth his salt would put before Battlefield 3

Halo
Bioshock
System Shock
Battlefield 1942 (or Vietnam)
Doom
Duke Nukem 3d
Wolfenstein
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty 1-3 (or Modern Warfare)
STALKER
Painkiller
Metro 2033
Brothers in Arms
Rainbow Six
EDIT: Deus Ex!
etc. (I'm forgetting more then a few)

top 5 lists should always be measured by how much it changed the field of related topic or refined it, not by your own personal bullshit enjoyment. Sure they can be controversial and you don't have to agree but putting Battlefield 3 on a Top 5 FPS of all time list is just ass ignorant and disrespectful of the history of video games. This guy clearly shouldn't be featured on the escapist because he's way out of his depth.

This was boring, not researched, and just not presented well. He focuses too much on the graphics, which are important; but not what defines a game, also there are a few grammatical errors. You have a week to make a well thought out video, do research, don't just be the people who are handed a topic, turn on a camera, and blab what comes to your mind; you guys come from YouTube, but that is no excuse; you must put more effort into it.

ALSO: SmoshGames, as an user on the escapist; become active in the community, 2 posts; REALLY, and those two posts are your videos, pathetic.

jamesbrown:
This was boring, not researched, and just not presented well. He focuses too much on the graphics, which are important; but not what defines a game, also there are a few grammatical errors. You have a week to make a well thought out video, do research, don't just be the people who are handed a topic, turn on a camera, and blab what comes to your mind; you guys come from YouTube, but that is no excuse; you must put more effort into it. Also Escapist, why are you hosting content you don't own; the copyright was from Alloy Digital.

ALSO: SmoshGames, as an user on the escapist; become active in the community, 2 posts; REALLY, and those two posts are your videos, pathetic.

Let's hope the escapist isn't paying them a penny for this shit content because if they are, they're not getting their moneys worth... of a penny.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here