Top 5 Friday: Top 5 First Person Shooters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

You had me at Half Life, but then lost me forever when you specified Half Life 2.

If I have learned something of this, it is that people miss "Top 5 with Lisa Foiles". Because she was, you know, funny.

Conner42:

Grouchy Imp:
Yeah, like every 'top five' list everywhere this show is entire subjective and heavily based on personal taste. Little point and no value in these kind of things. Unimpressed by both this and the last episode, so count me out as far as this new 'contribution' is concerned.

When talking about how good a game is, of course it's going to be subjective. I might have had a sort of blood burst when he mentioned Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3, but it wasn't because I thought he was wrong, I just disagree really strongly about how good those games are.

Also, you can still learn from other people's subjective thoughts, they can bring up good points and give you a new look on things.

True, but these kinds of lists pop up in the gaming discussion forums all the time. I just think it's a little bit pointless to post up a vid announcing for example the 'top 5 RPGs' when a casual look at the first couple of pages in the GD forums will throw up multiple threads on exactly the same subject.

Whilst I think this weeks Top 5 was much better than last time I kind of agree with these guys:

Kurt Cristal:
Meh, if you're going to do a Top 5, it needs to be a zany top 5, Lisa Foiles style. This is just boring an uninspired.

Valagetti:
Welp, glad to see Lisa Foiles has made a comeback as three geeky guys. And really sick of these lists appearing everywhere. I mean top 5 FPS's how vague can you get, its a hole entire genre, how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)? I dunno I just prefer something more insightful, than just someones opinion and why it is their opinion, based on their own aquired tastes. Jesus Christ that doesn't make any sense!

I sort of feel like the show needs to decide between whether it wants to be zany or in-depth. So far I don't think this video series is for me but it can't hurt the Escapist to have variety to appeal to more people so lets be nice. Sometimes we do take our games too seriously.

Also:

PunkRex:
No Timesplitters or Bioshock... *lights torch* HERESY, SNUFF IT OUT!!!

I wholeheartedly agree.

ShirowShirow:
Mmm. Mostly modern military stuff.

Did you and I just watch the same video? The one I just watched only had two military shooters and one of those was not "modern".

My personal 5 FPS of all times just has to include the following:

- Half Life 1: most people tend to forget just how revolutionary that game was.

- Stalker: immersive gameplay at its best

- Star Wars Jedi Knight 1: although a bit unfair since it also has RPG elements, had some of the best level design I've ever seen and some of the most furious firefights.

- Call of Duty 1: Stalingrad forever... Russian Campaign, Pavlov building. Also the Kar98... Nuf' said.

Top spot - No One Lives Forever 2: also probably the best game ever made.

The only problem with nostalgic titles such as these is that anyone who NOW plays them for the first time will think "wtf?!". Poor sods...

Honestly I didn't mind this top 5 at all and you know why?.

Because it was subjective and I'm fine with him having his say unlike the rest of you on here who spout the same games and the same crap over and over and even then if he isn't calling your favourite game then it somehow amounts to heresy and loses all credibility which I think is just plain disgusting and utterly childish.

Seriously give the guy a fucking chance and stop whining and bitching over it and just grow up for once and let the man have his say without kicking him off the site.

Valagetti:

Carnagath:

Valagetti:
how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)?

Every time someone religiously tries to memefy some of Yahtzee's worst and most pointless attempts at humor, which probably took him about 5 seconds to come up with while he was taking a shit, I feel like stabbing a puppy. Granted, you may be 9 years old (at least I hope you are), but it still makes me mad. Stop this right now, and save a puppy.

Really dude? You are calling me the child here and here you fuck'n are criticising me on a joke someone else did? No just fuck'n no, you cannot get away with this shit, going to a thread and calling people out on their minor bullshit? Yes that was a lame joke I did, because it was supposed to be lame and yes I understand I ripped off a lame joke and that in itself makes it even more lame. And just wow out of all of the things I said, you choose that specific thing as your focus of criticising? What about the shit thats vaguely coherent at the end, please I beg you to judge that, instead me ripping off a lame joke? And you know whats even more sad, ME for enabling you, so instead I suggest you and your fuck'n criticising pants go off somewhere else because this is a place of intellectual discussion... +1 lame ripped off joke.

To be fair you didn't really need to say that lame joke just like how many of you say this top 5 guy doesn't deserve to be on the Escapist.

Most of the time intellectual discussion does on here is about how crap something is and how it can be improved through personal opinion and subjective views rather than accepting something and maybe then giving an unbiased way to improve something.

That and this forum tosses around enough insults to fuel a world war let alone lacking proper intellectual discussion because most that goes on here is always "PC is superior!, consoles are crap and for casual plebs!".

Just for once be the better man and brush it off and walk on or at the very least engage in intellectual talk.

What did he mean by "hoping there's a CS2"? Counter-strike GO is the third installment of the series...
Surely he didn't mean that he thought CS:GO was the first counter strike game...right?

Shadow-Phoenix:

Valagetti:

Carnagath:

Every time someone religiously tries to memefy some of Yahtzee's worst and most pointless attempts at humor, which probably took him about 5 seconds to come up with while he was taking a shit, I feel like stabbing a puppy. Granted, you may be 9 years old (at least I hope you are), but it still makes me mad. Stop this right now, and save a puppy.

Really dude? You are calling me the child here and here you fuck'n are criticising me on a joke someone else did? No just fuck'n no, you cannot get away with this shit, going to a thread and calling people out on their minor bullshit? Yes that was a lame joke I did, because it was supposed to be lame and yes I understand I ripped off a lame joke and that in itself makes it even more lame. And just wow out of all of the things I said, you choose that specific thing as your focus of criticising? What about the shit thats vaguely coherent at the end, please I beg you to judge that, instead me ripping off a lame joke? And you know whats even more sad, ME for enabling you, so instead I suggest you and your fuck'n criticising pants go off somewhere else because this is a place of intellectual discussion... +1 lame ripped off joke.

To be fair you didn't really need to say that lame joke just like how many of you say this top 5 guy doesn't deserve to be on the Escapist.

Most of the time intellectual discussion does on here is about how crap something is and how it can be improved through personal opinion and subjective views rather than accepting something and maybe then giving an unbiased way to improve something.

That and this forum tosses around enough insults to fuel a world war let alone lacking proper intellectual discussion because most that goes on here is always "PC is superior!, consoles are crap and for casual plebs!".

Just for once be the better man and brush it off and walk on or at the very least engage in intellectual talk.

The whole idea of my rage enfueled bender was to keep the thread ON TOPIC, its enough of Youtube comments being off topic.

Scorpid:

Shadow-Phoenix:
Honestly I didn't mind this top 5 at all and you know why?.

Because it was subjective and I'm fine with him having his say unlike the rest of you on here who spout the same games and the same crap over and over and even then if he isn't calling your favourite game then it somehow amounts to heresy and loses all credibility which I think is just plain disgusting and utterly childish.

Seriously give the guy a fucking chance and stop whining and bitching over it and just grow up for once and let the man have his say without kicking him off the site.

I don't give one shit that this dudes Favorite 5 FPS's of all time doesn't mention games I liked and played. It's how badly he establishes credibility of his arguments for each entry, to the point that we're forced to conclude he's got no idea what 5 FPS games defined the FPS genre are and to community like the Escapist where games are a passion that's a slap in the face. He's a featured content creator that has no idea what he's talking about and his list reflects that. Also I don't really care about many peoples top 5 favorite anything's and if I knew this video was just this doofus telling us that, I wouldn't of cared at all (and wouldn't of watched it) but it was labeled top 5 FPS's that defined the genre and he puts down FarCry3 and Battlefield 3...

Even if you did care nothing's changed.

His top 5 haven't done a thing at all but enable you to use the get mad card.

You know I could easily take all the mockery that's being spouted right now as utterly childish and want to punch everyone right now to pipe them down but you know I took it with a grain of salt and don't need to feel like smashing sense.

Yes I know exactly what you mean and talk about but that does not warrant spouting utter nonsense.

Unless of course you're willing to have the Escapist hire you and then you appear on the screen and do a better job or face complete mockery yourself.

And besides you yourself and everyone else here let alone me know what was defined anyway so really you knew the answer all along.

Maybe some staff can clear this up for me, is this being posted elsewhere as well or had it moved here exclusively?

If it's being posted in multiple places and isn't unique to the escapist now then whatever, it probably works for its current audience.

If, however, it has moved here, and is only being posted here I have some constructive criticism.

1. Last week we were assumed to know the cast, we don't. That is silly.
Perhaps an introduction to the series would be good rather than just jumping in at what feels like the middle of a season.

2. Know your audience. I don't know exactly how many posts have called you out on it but a) Misusing literally, and b) Claiming that FPS is the most played genre (What about MOBA's and MMORPG's? LoL is the most played game on the planet. It is not an FPS.).

I think making more carefully worded statements might go down a little better. Especially when semi-praising one of the genres which is less popular recently among snooty videogame elitists (which is the general demographic of this website, whether we acknowledge it or not.)

I really think a few episodes which are formatted differently (to allow us as an audience to know who you are and why we shoudl care) would go down well.

Shadow-Phoenix:
Yes I know exactly what you mean and talk about but that does not warrant spouting utter nonsense.

Unless of course you're willing to have the Escapist hire you and then you appear on the screen and do a better job or face complete mockery yourself.

You're going to go the "I'd like to see you do better," route? Seriously? Because not having your own web show where you do a better job presenting the content your criticizing means someone can't have an opinion on how well or how poorly someone else did it?

Give me a break.

Second, simply hand waving someone's argument as utter nonsense rather than refuting it is one of the weakest forms of rebuttal imaginable.

I'd comment on the rest of your post, but honestly, much of it was pretty much incomprehensible. Particularly your apparently taking criticism of someone elses video personally, and your last sentence which literally makes no sense.

Now if you'd like to defend this guys list, feel free. But how about addressing some of the criticism instead of basically just saying "it's his list lol, he can do what he wants." I don't think anyone would refute that he can do what he wants, but I do think a lot of people would like to see some more worth while discourse being created by the content creators on the Escapist.

Vivi22:
snip

Then quoting me was a massive waste of time along with shoving words in my mouth.

I never said anyone couldn't offer some criticism but instead if you're going to offer some at least be adult about it rather than devolving into calling the show "shit", "he's got no fucking clue" because in the end that really does nothing to help him in any way shape or form but insult.

I'd also like to note that quoting me again would result in another waste of time because I already know what's mostly been commented on this thread isn't 100% valid criticism.

Unless of course you're one of those people that like to endlessly argue to get the last word because I'm pretty much done on this thread.

Half-Life 2 is a solid game, but it's also *easily* the second most over-rated game in history behind Call of Duty 4. It's narrative was well-told through the gameplay, and the gravity gun was fun the first time around. Apart from that, though? The gameplay itself was boring, 90's FPS-affair that had already started to go obsolete by the time Half-Life 2 rolled around (and I'm sorry, fellow PC-gamers, but I NEVER found that kind of gameplay fun in the least), the story was pretty weak (though well-suited to a game), and the atmosphere of the game just never resonated with me in the way a lot of other games have.

As for my list? In no particular order:

- Portal (if we're counting this as an FPS): easily one of the most well-designed games of all time, and a blast to play through. This is one game that actually deserves the massive amount of praise it gets.

- Team Fortress 2: TF2 has been nerfed a bit because of some of the new weapons, but it remains another one of the most well-designed games ever made, and is probably the best multiplayer shooter of all time. The visual style and atmosphere are striking, the mechanics are incredibly well balanced, and (with the obvious exception of 2Fort) the map design is superb.

- Halo: Combat Evolved: the more recent installments have muddied up the franchise a bit (though I still enjoy them), but the original was a game with incredibly deep gameplay given how simple it was. The art style was imaginative, the story was engaging and nicely self-contained while containing a fair amount of back-story (think A New Hope), and it was the first time anyone made an FPS that worked as well with a controller as it did with a mouse and keyboard.

- Mirror's Edge: Another one I'm not sure you'd count as an FPS, Mirror's Edge featured a functional but mediocre story and fun but sometimes temperamental gameplay. So why did I like it so much? Because I've never played another game with such incredible atmosphere. For how short the game is (you can easily beat it in 2-3 hours if you run all the way through it), I've gotten an insane amount of replay out of it by slowing down and soaking in all the different the environments. Mirror's Edge is actually a contender for my favorite game of all time just for this reason.

- Far Cry 3: Admittedly, it might just be because I'm still addicted to post-game at the moment, but Far Cry 3 is a ton of fun. It takes everything that was fun about Far Cry 2 (which I also had a blast with) and ramps it up to 11. My only gripe was the fact that once you clear out the islands, there's very little to do, but I discovered a simple hex-edit mod which restored the islands to their pirate-infested state. That said, the fact that cleared outposts stay cleared does give a nice sense of progress that you never got in Far Cry 2, and for that I put Far Cry 3 on the list.

Honorable mentions that would probably be included in a top ten list:

- The Brothers in Arms franchise
- Half-Life 2: SMOD and all it's runty children
- Garry's Mod (just because it's so damn versatile)
- Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2
- NeoTokyo (a HL2 mod that was popular for about two months but remains one of the best mutliplayer games of all time).

Shadow-Phoenix:

Vivi22:
snip

Then quoting me was a massive waste of time along with shoving words in my mouth.

I never said anyone couldn't offer some criticism but instead if you're going to offer some at least be adult about it rather than devolving into calling the show "shit", "he's got no fucking clue" because in the end that really does nothing to help him in any way shape or form but insult.

I'd also like to note that quoting me again would result in another waste of time because I already know what's mostly been commented on this thread isn't 100% valid criticism.

Unless of course you're one of those people that like to endlessly argue to get the last word because I'm pretty much done on this thread.

But dude I didn't stop at "His show is shit and this guy is a doofus" if I did then that would be fair and I'd agree but you're avoiding the fact I did explain why I said that and so far the clear majority of people that have commented have not been happy about this show. Also I'm not mad... I'm a guy sitting at work with 15 minutes to spare here and there and with much bigger things to be pissed off about then the featured content creators of the Escapist.

Scorpid:

Shadow-Phoenix:

Vivi22:
snip

But dude I didn't stop at "His show is shit and this guy is a doofus" if I did then that would be fair and I'd agree but you're avoiding the fact I did explain why I said that and so far the clear majority of people that have commented have not been happy about this show. Also I'm not mad... I'm a guy sitting at work with 15 minutes to spare here and there and with much bigger things to be pissed off about then the featured content creators of the Escapist.

I know what you explained before on the first page but again you didn't need to resort to shit and "paying him a penny" because really that just comes off as crude and not even worth giving a chance.

Are we really going to go at this all day?.

I feel like I really need to try FarCry 3. Having not played the first two, would I be missing out to jump in at the third installment?

Also, that shirt design is awesome, I want to know where he got it.

Tilted_Logic:
I feel like I really need to try FarCry 3. Having not played the first two, would I be missing out to jump in at the third installment?

Also, that shirt design is awesome, I want to know where he got it.

The three games are not connected in any way, shape, or form. You can play the third one with no worry.

Ummmm i feel everyone on the escapist should be given their own video segment.Like all of us.I want mine to be "Here's my generic opinion on Generic stuff".Oh wait!

That's already what this awful segment and the god damn awful jimquisition does.

tippy2k2:

Tilted_Logic:

The three games are not connected in any way, shape, or form. You can play the third one with no worry.

Goldeneye 64 really doesn't hold up very well today, but it's still fun going through the single player. Even if the graphics are blocky by today's standards. Plus the music rocks!

SoMuchSpace:
Ummmm i feel everyone on the escapist should be given their own video segment.Like all of us.I want mine to be "Here's my generic opinion on Generic stuff".Oh wait!

That's already what this awful segment and the god damn awful jimquisition does.

I'm curious, what makes the Jimquisition "god damn awful?"

OT: I, uh... don't really have to much to say. It was an alright video I suppose, but nothing worth deliberating on.

Tilted_Logic:

You're fine, the FarCry games are about as disconnected as you can get while sill feeling like part of the same franchise (especially the first one from the second two). Apparently they take place in the same universe, but you'd never know it from just playing the games. Basically the only thing they have in common are free-roaming environments (though the first one wasn't *completely* free-roaming), an emphasis on stealth tactics (especially the first and third ones), and hang gliders. Hang gliders everywhere.

StBishop:
Maybe some staff can clear this up for me, is this being posted elsewhere as well or had it moved here exclusively?

If it's being posted in multiple places and isn't unique to the escapist now then whatever, it probably works for its current audience.

If, however, it has moved here, and is only being posted here I have some constructive criticism.

1. Last week we were assumed to know the cast, we don't. That is silly.
Perhaps an introduction to the series would be good rather than just jumping in at what feels like the middle of a season.

2. Know your audience. I don't know exactly how many posts have called you out on it but a) Misusing literally, and b) Claiming that FPS is the most played genre (What about MOBA's and MMORPG's? LoL is the most played game on the planet. It is not an FPS.).

I think making more carefully worded statements might go down a little better. Especially when semi-praising one of the genres which is less popular recently among snooty videogame elitists (which is the general demographic of this website, whether we acknowledge it or not.)

I really think a few episodes which are formatted differently (to allow us as an audience to know who you are and why we shoudl care) would go down well.

This is created for Smosh Games' audience on YouTube, and then also published here.

Gonna have to second a number of other people on this comment board: How is CoD4:MW not on this list? Amazing game and is responsible to the huge amount of players who continue to buy the game yearly. Not a single CoD game has measured up since (my opinion) and it was amazingly easy to use and play. Get rid of all the stupid killstreaks and give me back UAV, Airstrike, and Helicopter.

Also: Either grow the beard or shave it off. You look like a rapist with that creepy pseudo-haired look you've got going. Really not impressed with this addition to Escapist Videos...

No Metroid Prime? RAGE!!!

Unreal Tournament 2004 is hands down my favorite. Borderlands is the only runner-up to it. (Though Quake 3 and its Team Arena) were awesome.

That guy didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about.

Susan Arendt:

This is created for Smosh Games' audience on YouTube, and then also published here.

That makes perfect sense. I knew it was a smosh product (feature?) I just wasn't sure if this was it's sole home now. Being a duplicate post makes perfect sense.

They're probably better off sticking with what they do, keeping their current fans happy and possibly picking a few up here too; rather than trying to retool a currently working formula in the hopes of appealing to this site's demographic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here