Jimquisition: Companies Exist To Make Money

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

I...very seriously take issue with games now having the least content for the most money in...ever. I remember paying $80 for Kirby's Superstar. Great game, but that was $80 ~15 years ago. Breath of Fire 1 & 2 were around $50 in mid-90s terms and LITERALLY half of their gameplay is grinding. LITERALLY. Hell, in 2's case maybe MORE than half. JRPGs in particular are infamous for padding their length with mandatory grinding. I understand games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, The Witcher, and hell I'll just say Alpha Protocol to a great extent. I'll admit: it's getting a little freaky. For instance: Leviathan DEFINITELY should have been in Mass Effect 3, there's NO QUESTION, especially with the amount of squad dialog, that that was a piece of content held back to bilk consumers out of money (or at best: held back to get the game out in a certain time frame). That is crappy, disingenuous, and worrisome.

Also: I've noticed a flaw of this series (a series I love, mind you) is that it tends to, somewhat ironically, marginalize downloadable games. I remember when a video brought up that Prototype 2 had sold absolute crap compared to what came before, it COMPLETELY ignored the fact that both Trials HD and Minecraft had SHATTERED records within a week of one another for download sales. I love that large companies with their AAA games are being held accountable, but I also love that I can get a game like Cthulhu Saves the World, a full-on JRPG (without all the grinding and with a few different play modes) for THREE DOLLARS on modern systems. A game that probably would've run $80 in this odd, bygone (fictional) golden age. I'm not saying we shouldn't hold companies accountable for what they do, I'm saying we NEED to let go of this notion that videogames used to be somehow more "pure." Cause they're more pure, and by that I mean egalitarian, now than they've EVER been.

That statment skips over some pretty important ground. Game companies exist not to make money (only the Treasury gets to do that) but to make a product (games) that customers hopefully like enough to buy them in sufficient quantities and at a sufficient price that the company makes a profit. This only happens (in an ideal world) if the product is good enough to deserve the customer's money. Therefore journalists, reviewers and customers have every right to be insulted and angry when a game company produces a piece of garbage and have the gall to ask us to pay for it when someone accross the street has a much better product.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here