Aliens: Colonial Marines Review - Game Over, Man

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Aliens: Colonial Marines Review - Game Over, Man

Your second trip to LV-426 isn't going to top the first.

Read Full Article

I'll be honest here. I'm an aliens fanboy.

Not just fan. Nononono. Fanboy. The moment aliens or even just colonial marines are involved I become like a ten year old child seeing a firetruck; I'm still going to think it's cool, even if it turned up to fight a massive fire at a bunny orphanage.

So, a kinda meh game, but I still think I'll enjoy it. Worth a try, in any case.

Called it?

I can't actually remember if I called it, but I bloody well should have.

Ah well, this was never going to be more than Steam sale fodder anyway.

EDIT: It's getting its arse comprehensively whooped on Metacritic. Even Jim, such a hardcore fan of all things Alien that he defended Alien 3, absolutely hated it.

Also, turns out I did call it, kind of.

Never really got why this game got so hyped up.

I watched some gameplay and it looked a bit generic to be honest. Not to mention the fact that Gearbox is known for releasing generic, uninspired games (read: Duke Nukem).

Duke Nukem Forever Syndrome. Was almost cancelled, if I'm not mistaken, four times. Five different developers have had their hands on it, with at least three at once this time last year. Hell, the actual staff from Duke Nukem Forever's development was probably working on this game. Its hard to tell if they just can't catch a break, or they're miserably incompetent.

I have a hunch that SEGA is trying to milk the game into essentially a $90 retail cost. They strung people along for three months with having details about Survivor mode being very vague, possibly deliberately, leaving the impression that it was a wave survival/horde mode. Its not. I bet the only reason they announced that it wasn't, which was only three days ago, might I add, is because it was leaked from a Wal-Mart pre-order voucher. When people would be inevitably disappointed to find that its not horde mode (and there are still people who will find that out the hard way), they would go "Hey, you want that? $15." I've read, I've counted now, eight times, that the game doesn't have a "real" ending, and every time, whoever is saying it thinks that a real ending is going to be sold as DLC. Guess what? SEGA announced that they'd be have story missions in future DLC as well.

To the fans of the Alien franchise out there, from a fan of the IP, let me say, you'll be fairly disappointed and just insulted by some of the plot. I've read most of it, and I have that the contributions that it makes to the Alien lore is probably worth borrowing from a friend, not even renting, because there are a lot of gaping plotholes.

Bugs, fixes and workarounds for PC version: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Aliens:_Colonial_Marines - including intro skipping, Steam failed to start and disable mouse smoothing.

Well, that's a little bit disappointing. Aw well, don't have that much cash at the moment anyway.

Can't say I'm surprised since everything I've seen of the game has looked mediocre at best.

By the sounds of it, Gearbox may have only made the multiplayer. Just a rumor though.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

amiran123:

I watched some gameplay and it looked a bit generic to be honest. Not to mention the fact that Gearbox is known for releasing generic, uninspired games (read: Duke Nukem).

Gearbox makes decent games most of the time, and they only worked on the multiplayer. TimeGate Studios did most of the campaign, and their record is... less than stellar (considering all they've ever done are F.E.A.R. spinoffs)

I know that it's an old theme, but what's up with the star rating?

The review is almost entirely made up of negatives (or could be good... buts), yet it's worth 3/5? That's (literally) not half bad, but the review says it's almost all bad. Needs more consistency!

As for the game, you no it's not good when there's no video review.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

amiran123:

Gearbox makes decent games most of the time, and they only worked on the multiplayer. TimeGate Studios did most of the campaign, and their record is... less than stellar (considering all they've ever done are F.E.A.R. spinoffs)

That really pisses me off to no end. Why would they outsource it? That's kinda stupid since most of what I've been hearing from them is how it's Canon and authentic it is. Despite this, I'm still picking it up (since I preordered the game) and will try to enjoy myself.

MortisLegio:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

amiran123:

That really pisses me off to no end. Why would they outsource it? That's kinda stupid since most of what I've been hearing from them is how it's Canon and authentic it is. Despite this, I'm still picking it up (since I preordered the game) and will try to enjoy myself.

Because of the four times the game was abandoned. New team had to cobble together enough working parts to try and make some profit on the game. Needless to say, that never ends well.

fix-the-spade:

The review is almost entirely made up of negatives (or could be good... buts), yet it's worth 3/5? That's (literally) not half bad, but the review says it's almost all bad. Needs more consistency!

I've noticed the only times a game gets a 1 is when the game is completely broken to the point of unplayability (Amy, Steel Battalion), and 2 goes to games that only marginally function and barely entertains. 3 seems to the baseline for games that work, but aren't very good.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

fix-the-spade:

I've noticed the only times a game gets a 1 is when the game is completely broken to the point of unplayability (Amy, Steel Battalion), and 2 goes to games that only marginally function and barely entertains. 3 seems to the baseline for games that work, but aren't very good.

Right. The game *functions* just fine. It's not broken by any stretch of the imagination. The mechanics that are in place, while antiquated, do work as intended. There are some good bits here as well, and at times you'll actually feel like you're playing the Aliens game you always wanted, but it doesn't last long. The multiplayer is great, the music is superb, and there are a few tiny details and nods for Aliens fans that I will not spoil.

However, the graphical issues, the non-existant plot, and the seemingly wanton slaughtering of Aliens canon brings it down quite a bit.

You run around locations on LV-426 after Aliens?

Ok, the derelict spaceship could have been way, way away for all we know, but otherwise everywhere else on the planet they went to...um...no.

Aliens is kinda like Star Wars now. There are only a handful of good installments for the franchise (Alien, Aliens) and the rest is crap.

This is disappointing. I love Aliens and had high hopes for this game.

And my post makes this kind of confusing, what.

Ummm.....I'm actually enjoying it so far. Could have been better but don't think it is deserving the bashing it's getting. Not disapointed in my pre order and having fun playing co-op. Have owned every Aliens game since my Amstrad 464 days. Would have preferd Ai like in the original AVP 1 and 2 but it's not as good. Am I the only one who's enjoying it or what?

3 Stars? Huh, this is the most positive review I've seen so far. Everyone else is setting fire to the thing. I'm disappointed myself, I was hoping this would be a great game, but I guess not.

well, never had a huge interest to play it. 6-8 hours long is not worth my money. and from the sound of it, its mainly shooting aliens down.
so i will give it a pass and wait till its really cheap to get and when i have nothing better to play.

DoctorObviously:
Aliens is kinda like Star Wars now. There are only a handful of good installments for the franchise (Alien, Aliens) and the rest is crap.

Blunderboy:

I don't know what's weirder... the identical avatars (short of one being a gif) or that the younger account has 3 times the posts...

This whole post section is messing with my head...

Furioso:
3 Stars? Huh, this is the most positive review I've seen so far. Everyone else is setting fire to the thing. I'm disappointed myself, I was hoping this would be a great game, but I guess not.

Prepare to be amazed... http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

MikeWehner:

Furioso:

Prepare to be amazed... http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

I actually did see that, there's always one of these reviews floating around for every bad game, but I'm pretty sure this guy has been payed off or something, since he calls it a "loving homage" while everyone else is saying it decimates the Aliens continuity

NameIsRobertPaulson:

DoctorObviously:

Blunderboy:

I don't know what's weirder... the identical avatars (short of one being a gif) or that the younger account has 3 times the posts...

This whole post section is messing with my head...

I have three times as much to say. :P
It is a bit freaky. ;)

Such a shame. I wasn't expecting the game to be great or anything; if it were just decent I'd probably be playing it now. I'm not saying I'll never play it, but I don't think it's worth the price of admission right now

Regardless of the bombing reviews (they never usually ever sway my view or opinion) I'm still going to grab this on Thursday and give it a go.

Besides I like AVP 2010 even though their multiplayer felt shoddy and the marines campaign felt it could have done with more weapons.

Furioso:

Actually, there's a four-star review here but they do seem to be few and far between. Still - the Escapist star ratings system is fairly clear - three stars is appropriate for a game that's fun in places but flawed without being actually technically broken.

and how are the womyn? are there womyn? i asked because-well alien without women feels very strange for me i think..
i dont have any money for mediocre-shootes, far cry3 is waiting for me

Flatfrog:

Furioso:

Actually, there's a four-star review here but they do seem to be few and far between. Still - the Escapist star ratings system is fairly clear - three stars is appropriate for a game that's fun in places but flawed without being actually technically broken.

Fair enough, from what I've seen most people are saying that it is broken, for example

That's supposed to be an enemy soldier... Of course, that type of thing might not have been what this reviewer experienced.

spookydom:
Ummm.....I'm actually enjoying it so far. Could have been better but don't think it is deserving the bashing it's getting. Not disapointed in my pre order and having fun playing co-op. Have owned every Aliens game since my Amstrad 464 days. Would have preferd Ai like in the original AVP 1 and 2 but it's not as good. Am I the only one who's enjoying it or what?

i used to love that aliens exploration game on the amstrad. creepy as all hell too

I guess I'll wait till the $5 steam deal for some coop with a friend. Its a shame, but as an alien franchise fan, I'm used to disappointment.

wombat_of_war:

spookydom:

i used to love that aliens exploration game on the amstrad. creepy as all hell too

http://youtu.be/L4qd-9CvnlU

Ha Ha! Just had to Y-Tube that bad boy. Just hearing the music again gave me a little chill:)

There's a saying I learned: "Someone pick up the phone, because I fucking called it."

I kind of expected it, there are things that we expect from movie based games and then there's what the developer wants to do. They are two different things and it disappoints me. Aliens will always be a good movie to me, but as a game I always pass on them.

Furioso:

I actually did see that, there's always one of these reviews floating around for every bad game, but I'm pretty sure this guy has been payed off or something, since he calls it a "loving homage" while everyone else is saying it decimates the Aliens continuity

Oh wow.

I actually pre-ordered this when I woke up this morning. Mostly out of boredom, I figured it would be an average game with flaws. Seems its just a flawed game. Meh.

It's getting slammed from everyone, one of the worst Metacritic averages for any "popular" game I've ever seen.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here