Trailers: Neverwinter - Mount Hotenow Trailer

Neverwinter - Mount Hotenow Trailer

If the lava wasn't keeping you away just remember that the mountain is full of evil baddies.

Watch Video

After two good trailers they come up with the worst, worst, WORST voiceover in the history of the universe.

Pretty generic MMORPG fare for the rest.

The voice over sounded like she was trying to put on 'generic female high-priest' accent. It made me not care about Neverwinter perhaps being incinerate for eternity.
She has a power. Perhaps she can be utilised for voice-overs promoting unhealthy things just so people do the opposite.

Lol! Cryptic is known for it's painfully bad cinematics and voicework, it shocks me to see how they continue this trend even when they rest of their game is generally solid.... If you think this is bad, you have seen nothing... and I mean that. STO cinematics cause almost physical pain, the arrival cinematic for "New Romulus" intro cinematic should be sent to US Army Intelligence to replace waterboarding... and it actually gets progressively worse from there. This is their brandy new "state of the art" zone too, I won't even discuss their older STO cinematics, my brain tries hard to black them out... CO is bad too, I wonder how many people left just watching the intro for the Tutorial or after listening to Defender shout "YOU MUST SHUT DOWN ALL THOSE BEACONS" like a dozen times in the space of 30 seconds even as your shutting them down.

I was actually kind of surprised that they released the good trailers, this is more par for the course.

To be fair though Neverwinter is probably their cinematically best game... but understand the competition.

This is coming from a Cryptic fan (Hero Of The North, Lifetimer for CO and STO, much money spent beyond that), I appreciate a lot of their concepts and gameplay usually, but when it comes to their storytelling and cinematics... eegad.... I keep coming back for the things I like in these games, but after years I have long sense come to the conclusion that Cryptic will never, ever make good cinematics. Their entire company has like ONE good voice actor (the guy who does Obisek for STO, and I believe also voices Ironclad for CO).

Well .. the voice acting was so mediocre it didn't even register to me. It was just background noise.

I was too busy looking for old school D&D things that would mean something to an old timer like me.

Fire Giants? Are you freakin kidding me? In almost 20 yrs of DMing I've only had one legitimate party capable of taking on even one fire giant. But hey this is MMO land. Where everyone is a precious snowflake that has an edge like diamond and the strength of steel. And can cast magic out the whatsit and everyone in the party has a +5 Holy Avenger two-handed sword, and THAC0 3.

Fuck I hate mummorpergers. D&D for the kids who can't stand being in the same room as anyone else.

uzo:
Well .. the voice acting was so mediocre it didn't even register to me. It was just background noise.

I was too busy looking for old school D&D things that would mean something to an old timer like me.

Fire Giants? Are you freakin kidding me? In almost 20 yrs of DMing I've only had one legitimate party capable of taking on even one fire giant. But hey this is MMO land. Where everyone is a precious snowflake that has an edge like diamond and the strength of steel. And can cast magic out the whatsit and everyone in the party has a +5 Holy Avenger two-handed sword, and THAC0 3.

Fuck I hate mummorpergers. D&D for the kids who can't stand being in the same room as anyone else.

Oh, come on. Is this clearly cartoonish and watered-down for mass consumption by the mmorpg crowd? Yes, clearly, and distastefully. However, attacking it for its choice of enemies in fire giants is kind of silly. I can't speak to 2nd edition, but Fire Giants are CR 10 in 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, and Pathfinder... that's a pretty attainable level by almost every long-term party I've run and played in across 3 iterations of D&D. Hell, I've ran and played epic level groups, though admittedly none of those started at 1st and proceeded past 20th.

There are so many other reasons one could attack both this game and this trailer as fundamentally missing the point of the D&D experience, why bash its selection of enemies?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here