Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Sterling walks through Gearbox's walkthrough of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Watch Video

Yeah, I feel sorry for anyone that pre-ordered this, especially if they've based their pre-order on demos such as this.

They've just been completely bullshitted to by Gearbox, and it makes me sad, because they were seen (Duke Nukem Forever aside) as one of the better developers in the business.

So, basically... False advertising? Isn't that against the law in the US of A?

This was possibly my most hotly anticipated game of the year, and they somehow found a way to gloriously fuck it up. It's amazing that they somehow managed to surprise everyone with how shit a product this ended up being.

Jesus. I thought people were blowing how bad the game was out of proportion by comparing it to Duke Nukem, but Christ if this true Gearbox really dropped the ball.

I love the series too. I am sure it will survive one crappy game and whoever tries to make an aliens game in the future will have this demo as a solid foundation.

Damn... I had never actually seen that demo before and seeing it now after all the bad press the game's gotten just makes me feel sad. The demo looks f'ing amazing, like how a proper Aliens game should be. Instead we get Call of Duty in space with one of the most clever and terrifying fictional alien species being reduced to cannon fodder kamikaze idiots.

OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?

WOW. Ok, let me break this down:
Extra video on a Wednesday
No Intro or theatrics
No Ironic self-referential smarmyness
No swearing, calm blow-by-blow break down

Analasys: Jim is seriously disappointed.
And listening to him, he seems to have evey right to be.

So the whole problem here is that practically none of the game play elements appear in the final game correct? Maybe if they had spent some more time on the game instead of this demo, which may be completely pre-rendered, it would have been at least a little better.....

Arnoxthe1:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?

I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

OK moving on. Isn't pulling crap like this illegal ?

Huh....Kinda like the original Ghost Recon Future Soldier Demo back in 2010...Final product was a complete let down..."We want to bring you the battlefield of the future with a hologram around your gun, a toy robot, and a cloaking gadget that works by magic."

I hadn't seen that demo until now, I can't believe a dev could possibly screw up so badly when they had such a promising prototype. At least other companies are just deceptive in the sense that they show you the best bits, or that they show you a good bit that isn't representative of the final product but at least is actually in the game (i.e brutal legend demo).

Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit. Seeing how it COULD have been is just salt in the wound.

Yokillernick:

Arnoxthe1:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?

I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

If the multiplayer was anywhere near the AVP from 1999 I would buy it only for that, fuck single player. But alas, consoles have fucked up fpses for all eternity.

I havent tried anything but coop yet, but I guess its shit. Like the rest of the game.

This is the second video I've seen comparing the final game to the demo. Man this all is going to reflect badly on those involved. I really do hope we get an honest explanation as to why this was. I want to hear what really happened and why this was all done.

Knowing the industry pundants we'll just get a canned apology with no explanation at all. I sincerely wish the industry would be honest and transparent with us all and stop insulting our intelligence with fabrications like this.

tzimize:
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit. Seeing how it COULD have been is just salt in the wound.

There have been reports of people getting refund in some way or another. Either by real money or just cash for your Steam Wallet. Might be worth a try?

I was exited about this game. Thankfully I didn't preorder it.

A:CL "Hey demo! Have you ever been mistaken for an actual Aliens game?"
Demo "No, Have you?"

where the hell can i download that demo in the first place(pc)?

You can find an a/b comparison of certain scenes between the "Demo" they've shown and the actual game here, just showing the "Demo" and talking doesn't exactly have the same effect as comparing the two directly:

Arnoxthe1:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?

Just get Natural Selection 2 or AvP (2010) instead.

Makes me wonder if this demo was made by Gearbox itself....perhaps unlike the vast majority of the actual game, since they were busy with Borderlands 2.

Yokillernick:

Arnoxthe1:
OK...

lol It was a figure of speech. And I'm not the one who got conned 'cause I didn't buy it. Halo 4 remains the only game to date that I have preordered or bought right on launch day. People should consider being more stingy when it comes to new games. But that wasn't the whole point anyway. The point is, we've confirmed the campaign to be crap. I'm just trying to see if there's some lasting value still in the game in the form of multiplayer. AvP2 had some of the best multiplayer I've seen even if the Predator was terribly unbalanced.

DVS BSTrD:
A:CL "Hey demo! Have you ever been mistaken for an actual Aliens game?"
Demo "No, Have you?"

"You just too bad ass, DVS BSTrD."

Arnoxthe1:
OK...

From what I've seen, the multiplayer is basically considered passable. Not great, not bad, but passable. It is, however, full of missing animations and low-res textures, just like the rest of the game. And it is NOT worth $60

Honestly, this is one of my biggest gaming disappointments. I remember when GI did a cover story on this like 5 years ago, and I've been waiting and hoping for it to come out ever since. I watched the demo and the trailers, and I plunked down my money for my preorder, and then LUCKILY saw the bad reviews rolling in Tuesday morning.

In the vain hope of some kind of miracle patch that fixes stuff, or some promise from Gearbox that something went horribly wrong during cert/manufacturing and that it would be fixed forthwith, I decided to give them a few days before totally cancelling my pre-order and getting a refund. As of yet though, that hasn't happened.

Their last official tweet (as of this post) was "We'll have special Borderlands 2 SHiFT codes (from Moxxi, no less) tomorrow to celebrate Loverpalooza -- stay tuned!" I think that pretty sums it all up here...A:CM sucks because GearBox abandoned it to work on Borderlands 2, and then rushed it out the door because they counted on Aliens fans to just lap it up before the word of mouth completely killed it. Show what they think of their customers I guess...

Ok all the hate makes a bit more sense now. I pre-orderd the game and have literally just finnished the single player. I enjoyed it a lot, however I knew full well it wasn't the game it could have been. During the build up before release I had not watched any demos, game play,advertisements becasue I didn't want any spoliers. I have owned every Aliens game one every platform to the best of my knowledge since the Amstrad 464 days so I was going to buy it anyway. Couldn't belive all the negativity and disapointment the game was getting yesterday. If I had seen this demo at any point before purchasing and compared it to what I just played through I think I would have been extremely pissed off to put it mildly.

rhizhim:

As far as i know, this wasn't actually a playable demo, more of a "Let's show you guys ten minutes of *cough* actual *Cough* gameplay."
From the look of the actual game, most of this demo might have been pre-rendered.

rhizhim:

It's a press demo, to be shown on press events to show off the game. It's not freely available.

Ronack:
So, basically... False advertising? Isn't that against the law in the US of A?

Unfortunately, "false advertising" is easier and easier to get away with because we've become a culture of corporate lapdogs who will either insist they don't mind being lied to or berate others for expecting honesty in media.

The latter's a tricky point, because we've always had the soft lies in media. Nowadays, we're getting some pretty major ones. bait and switch, marketing claims not even close to true, and demos that claim to represent the game but do not.

I'm fine with demos which are demos for the sake of demos, for the record. It's when you say that such a demo is from the game, or represents it when it doesn't. That's the problem.

no proof but it reeks of someone seeing the final game going "oh shit we cant let people see this before release it will kill sales" a team told to go all out making that demo just to give a fale impression of actual gameplay to boost initial preorder and day one sales before reviews and word of mouth killed purchases.

my thoughts are with you guys who purchased it. i loved the movie and the games since the amstrad have rocked but yeah ill skip this

I had no expectations for Gearbox and Randy Pitchford to deliver. None at all.

This demo....just release that alone and I'd be satisfied, seriously. This demo is fucking perfect. How did they fuck up the demo?!

Doctor Proctor:

Arnoxthe1:
OK...

From what I've seen, the multiplayer is basically considered passable. Not great, not bad, but passable. It is, however, full of missing animations and low-res textures, just like the rest of the game. And it is NOT worth $60

Honestly, this is one of my biggest gaming disappointments. I remember when GI did a cover story on this like 5 years ago, and I've been waiting and hoping for it to come out ever since. I watched the demo and the trailers, and I plunked down my money for my preorder, and then LUCKILY saw the bad reviews rolling in Tuesday morning.

In the vain hope of some kind of miracle patch that fixes stuff, or some promise from Gearbox that something went horribly wrong during cert/manufacturing and that it would be fixed forthwith, I decided to give them a few days before totally cancelling my pre-order and getting a refund. As of yet though, that hasn't happened.

Their last official tweet (as of this post) was "We'll have special Borderlands 2 SHiFT codes (from Moxxi, no less) tomorrow to celebrate Loverpalooza -- stay tuned!" I think that pretty sums it all up here...A:CM sucks because GearBox abandoned it to work on Borderlands 2, and then rushed it out the door because they counted on Aliens fans to just lap it up before the word of mouth completely killed it. Show what they think of their customers I guess...

I was lucky somewhat. I pre-ordered it and such and unfortunately had the balls to try it myself. I SOMEHOW got my 60$ back, though for in-store credit, I managed to fixiate that money into a Bioshock: Infinite Pre-order. At least then I KNOW it'll be worth my 60$

I'll start right off the bat by saying I don't know when this demo was made, but surely a game that has been in development for seven years will have some content cut from it that was at some point meant to be included? Fair enough if this demo is six months old then there is no excuse for it, but if this demo is older than that and is showing a sequence that was going to be in the game but then got cut after the demo was made, well, is it that bad?

Incidentally Jim, Facehuggers only twitch if it's love at first sight. Maybe this one just didn't feel your vibe. :)

Wow this is really damning and I honestly can't think of an explanation other than a deliberate attempt at deception.

Could this be a legal matter? This seems like straight up false advertising.

SirDerick:

rhizhim:

As far as i know, this wasn't actually a playable demo, more of a "Let's show you guys ten minutes of *cough* actual *Cough* gameplay."
From the look of the actual game, most of this demo might have been pre-rendered.

ah, i was wondering why so many people played it and where to download it.
and was about to slam consoles with their outdated and restricting hardware (they really need a new generation, badly)

but it turns out its just another pre rendered thing that was labeled as actual gameplay just like duke nukem forever.

this is duke nukem forever all over again. they did it again! they learned nothing at all. even if they didnt develope it, you dont release an unfinished game.

also interstellar marines is on steam greenlight.
you can even play a demo of that game.

I just... I really don't have words. I did not realize that this shit as bad as it... was. I mean I was getting the jist of it from the reviews but, good god.

When was the last time this big of a disappointment happened for the gaming industry? Like... Driver 3 maybe? Or is there something else non-Aliens related I'm forgetting?

I seriously hope Gearbox is in some deep shit for this, they were probably one of the few remaining companies I felt weren't completely fucking up but with this... I seriously hope there's something that went terribly wrong and that this wasn't just the outcome of laziness.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here