Assassin's Creed IV: Shameless Speculation Edition

Pages PREV 1 2

Therumancer:

Not true, the entire thing revolves around the concept of Genetic Memory. Basically the genes of all these people have to wind up within Desmond, and also to the degree where he becomes a singular entity from where these memories can be minded, as well as with enough genetic lineage where he can remember their skills. It's not a case of "we do not know", we do know by the central concept of the game, the rest is just justification for fans to argue that they would get a game tied to the main series where they happen to live.

GonvilleBromhead's already done the more mathematical answer so I'll keep it simple. Think about how many streams make up you; you are the joining of two (hopefully) distinct genetic lines, with each of your parents being the same. By the time you reach you're great-grandparents (3 generations, ~70 years back) you've got 8 distinct lines that make up you.

Now obviously there's a lot of localised inbreeding - by that I mean people in one location (say 16th century Rome) would most likely marry and have kids with someone else in that area rather than travel half way around the world, causing your family tree to cross somewhere along the line. However the Assassins are prolific movers, Ezio moves all around Italy and sends his assassins all over Europe while Altair led a group of assassins to Mongolia, so there is plenty of leeway for allowing Assassins (and specifically the first civilization DNA) to move all around the world in thousands of years of history.

There's plenty of room for a 'new' ancestor to appear as there's still 200 years of immigration to the US from all over the world (Chinese during the building of the transcontinental railway, Irish during the potato famine, Jewish during WW2, etc.) that it's possible to bring any genetic link to Desmond.

If you take great grandparents then that's 8 genetic lines that could be completely unique with no crossover whatsoever and if you want more it's not that hard to hand wave a relationship (after all who's to say Altair isn't Connor's ancestor?)

They have to be crazy not to go with French Revolution. It's a perfect setting for an AC game.

BurnedOutMyEyes:
Probably something trite and cliché.

Really? Ubisoft is the only company that does this stuff. And they do it well. There's nothing cliché about their choices of settings. I think the job they're doing is incredible. Their present time stuff sucks, but the historic backdrop's been amazing so far. Even AC3. I didn't like it much the first time I played it, but second time around I find myself loving it.

It would be better if we thought of this 2013 release game as being Assassin's Creed 3: [Insert sub-title here]. This is because the French Revoution setting fits so well. Actual Assassin's Creed 4, which I don't think we'll see definitely until next-gen, will likely move on to an entirely new setting, time period and playable character.

I'd agree Gerishnakov. I can very well see an Assassins Creed 3: One Word Trite Subtitle being French Revolution. The time period and general gameplay would fit in well for such a direction.

Just need a good reason to send Connor over to France, really.

Robert Rath:
Assassin's Creed IV: Shameless Speculation Edition

Where and when will the next Assassin's Creed be set?

Read Full Article

I would play the hell out of all of those. Not so much the pirate one, but the others are great ideas.
Ubisoft take note.

I'd totally play a game where you dispatch venomous serpents to murder your enemies

gotcha covered, bro

I'd love to just forego all the past-memory bullshit, and finish the series.
My prediction for how this all ends: Juno's release prevented jack shit, and now instead of desmond becoming venerated as god, she's ruling as an actual one. Final game revolves around a new character (probably desmond's son, due to some contrived illogical bullshit) having to stab all Juno's human servants/collaborators before stabbing Juno herself.

then we find out its all been a flash forward and desmond's still in the original Animus on the first day, or find out this whole time we've been playing as the ancestor of desmond in a new future-society where everything is perfect

GonvilleBromhead:
Just need a good reason to send Connor over to France, really.

Bitches?

I mean, screed is a series that will never say "oh and i guess they got married or knocked someone up", no, it has always said "AND THEN HE COPULATED, ALLOWING THE TIMELINE TO CONTINUE"

maybe Connor hears about those French ladies of commercial affection and decides time to catch a ride to paris

I think Assassin's Creed is due a break. Ubi should give it some years before making another...as it is it's quite stale now.

SiskoBlue:
I'd go with French Revolution for reason Robert points out, plus the fact that the French Revolution is at least widely known. Personally I'd prefer the Russian revolution. Great architecture, great characters (Rasputin!) and has all the themes. However, I know the media-tie-in comics they made already covered this period.

I hope it's not another American setting. Frankly, I found the grandising of American history a bit annoying. It's important as the birth of a nation but wasn't that big a deal to other nations at the time, it was just a colonial insurrection.

One place they won't go but I'd love if they did would be Victorian age India. You have Afghan tribes to the north, the taking of Raj palaces, Russia vying for control. The British colonial suppression.

The reason they won't go there though is the same reason they won't go to China. The history is not widely known, and it's clear from Assassin's Creed 3 outselling all the others is that pandering to the history people kind of know already sells better than obscure times.

It would be weird if they did a World War. I'm not sure how that would even work with their themes and game mechanics, even ignoring the whole "guns" issue.

'grandizing', they didn't grandize anything. They took a setting with several myths about Freemason involvement and turned it boring. Even the possible Assassin-Templar alliance or the fact that the Assassins could be the bad guys themselves(Ezio blows up an entire city to cover his escape in Revelations, Desmond's father uses a suspicious tone referring to both organizations in the intro to 3 and the intro shows the Templars and Assassins aren't too different at all), the game had several interesting things it could do and it didn't do any of it.

I really agree with the India setting with the 1857 rebellion and the Great game you mentioned. The Great Game could be interesting because it was almost exactly the same Afghan tribes that are fighting today and the conflict was very similar to both the modern war and 1980s Russian-Afghan war. The problem with this, however, would be that now the developers would really have to prove that "This game was developed by a multicultural team" because the the culture is very different from Western culture.

Oh God, India would be bloody brilliant. Plenty of interesting things to choose from - the Sikh Wars, one of the Afghan Wars, North West Frontier Skirmishing, Burma, and of course the Mutiny. Alas, I do not think they will do that - I just don't think there are enough well known names for the average person. You or I may know Elphinstone, Outram, Dost Mohammed and the Napiers...but I'm not sure many people (who do not share my love of British Colonial Military History - qv my handle!) do.

The need for reasonably widely recognised personages is why I'm still leaning on French Revolution for Assassins Creed III Part II. I know pretty much sod all about the period, but names like Robespierre and Marie Antoinette resonate with me. Similarly, for Assassins Creed IV, Victorian London has plenty of similarly recognisable names - Gladstone and Disraeli, the Duke of Wellington, Brunel, Darwin and Dickens, which I feel Ubisoft can trade on.

I forgot to add: Ass Creed V - Russian Revolution. Ass Creed VI - Prohibition Chigaco

Karma168:

Therumancer:

Not true, the entire thing revolves around the concept of Genetic Memory. Basically the genes of all these people have to wind up within Desmond, and also to the degree where he becomes a singular entity from where these memories can be minded, as well as with enough genetic lineage where he can remember their skills. It's not a case of "we do not know", we do know by the central concept of the game, the rest is just justification for fans to argue that they would get a game tied to the main series where they happen to live.

GonvilleBromhead's already done the more mathematical answer so I'll keep it simple. Think about how many streams make up you; you are the joining of two (hopefully) distinct genetic lines, with each of your parents being the same. By the time you reach you're great-grandparents (3 generations, ~70 years back) you've got 8 distinct lines that make up you.

Now obviously there's a lot of localised inbreeding - by that I mean people in one location (say 16th century Rome) would most likely marry and have kids with someone else in that area rather than travel half way around the world, causing your family tree to cross somewhere along the line. However the Assassins are prolific movers, Ezio moves all around Italy and sends his assassins all over Europe while Altair led a group of assassins to Mongolia, so there is plenty of leeway for allowing Assassins (and specifically the first civilization DNA) to move all around the world in thousands of years of history.

There's plenty of room for a 'new' ancestor to appear as there's still 200 years of immigration to the US from all over the world (Chinese during the building of the transcontinental railway, Irish during the potato famine, Jewish during WW2, etc.) that it's possible to bring any genetic link to Desmond.

If you take great grandparents then that's 8 genetic lines that could be completely unique with no crossover whatsoever and if you want more it's not that hard to hand wave a relationship (after all who's to say Altair isn't Connor's ancestor?)

I'll respond here instead of writing two responses saying pretty much the same thing, and your talking about the other person in the conversation to begin with.

The thing is that not everyone in this lineage could potentially be an Assasin, since we already have a good idea about what was being done and where in comparison to this plotline, and who is relevent based on what has been being mined. As a result with the way they moved things forward you can pretty much omit anyone up until Connor and the previous generations out of hand. The way the data was being mined conceptually, if there was say a relevent ancestor from say The Mind Dynasty in there or whatever, we would have already heard about it before now. It would make no sense to start inserting such people, which is why adventures set in the same universe are possible as spin offs, but not in the same timeline.

Likewise with modern lifespans we don't have as much time for diversity either, since the odds of there being unknown relatives with modern record keeping as we move forward are unlikely, and your going to see more and more generations know each other as they overlap. For example a grandfather, father, and son today can cover a good portion of the 200 years that we have to deal with. We also know that any way it goes the last couple generations are by definition going to have to be "white" to produced someone that looks like Desmond. While you could have people of other ethnicites in there if you put them in during the 1800s, or very early 1900s it's increasingly unlikely they would have been an unknown factor up until this point. Remember we're also limited by the aspect of the game where we're dealing with a hugely powerful secret society as well, while it makes sense they might need genetic memory to go back centuries, it's less likely they would need to do such things for generations that recent when good old fashioned research (and just having men on the ground and their own records) could have covered it. Indeed chances are that's exactly how they found out about Desmond and to use him to fill in the ancient stuff to begin with, already knowing the more recent bits. The further up we get the less likely they would need to say start pursueing genetic memory from the 1930s or whatever.

In short I stand by there being a VERY limited time frame. Though I get that we're not going to agree on this, time, and Ubisoft will tell, we will see what happens.

I will also say in closing that the raised point about Desmond "dying" is kind of irrelvent, we've seen that cliffhanger before in this series. I think it's largely a matter of them running out of ideas on how to end with a bang.

I'll also say that while I don't mind spin offs, I am hoping that they end the series, AND the spin offs before too long while the series is still on a high note. I could see maybe one more game, and one more spin off being right for the series. As much as people love it, I'd rather see it end on a relatively high note, and be tied up, than dragged on for another 10-15 years until they start dropping the ball constantly and dying with a whimper.

The way I see it, it's proven there is a market for the historical sandbox action game. Truthfully while I wouldn't be opposed to spin offs set in ancient china or whatever, I'd think it would just be better to create stand alone games for that, rather than trying to justify how it all ties into this mythology. Truthfully I'd probably prefer it without the whole "genetic memory" gimmick and just play someone doing whatever in that time period. Of course to be honest a lot of this is probably just me angling to get something more similar to "Jade Empire" or "Shenmue" both "series" which seemed to die prematurely. :)

Man, the French Revolution would be so much better than the American War of Independence. For the reasons you stated and others. Why the hell did Ubi decide to go back to a country that's had thousands of games set in it, aren't they fucking French? Maybe they were trying to avoid accusations of favouritism, or they thought two storylines based around centuries-old European cities wouldn't be enough variation for the franchise...

8-Bit_Jack:

then we find out its all been a flash forward and desmond's still in the original Animus on the first day, or find out this whole time we've been playing as the ancestor of desmond in a new future-society where everything is perfect

yes

yes

this is absolutely correct

Assassins in Egypt totally work, just read "Pyramids" by Terry Pratchett for proof!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here