Miracle of Sound: The Best I Can (The Walking Dead)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Best I Can (The Walking Dead)

The darkest road ahead you're gonna have to face it, cause I can't always be there.

Watch Video

I... I think 'The New Black Gold' just got replaced as my favourite Miracle of Sound song.

Maybe I'm biased because of how good the game was, but damn.

"Keep that hair short, Clem."

*sniff*

Zhukov:
I... I think 'The New Black Gold' just got replaced as my favourite Miracle of Sound song.

Maybe I'm biased because of how good the game was, but damn.

"Keep that hair short, Clem."

*sniff*

Same here. I'll admit, I was slightly worried when I found out he was doing a song for TWD, as I had a doubt that he could match the emotion of the game. But I shouldn't have worried at all.

Bravo, Gav.

I... It's nothing. I just have something in my eye okay!

Seriously though, that was sublime, your best in a long while. Also, are you planning on doing any more MOS: Encore features, or are you done with those now? I haven't seen one in a long time.

EDIT: I have now listened to this for what must now be about the 15th time, and the feels just won't stop.

What? I just have something in my eye, and the other one is really sad about it.

Seriously though, that was beautiful. A great song for a great game.

:'(

That was beautiful.

I'm scared for season 2 of Walking Dead. Scared it'll break me even more.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Also, are you planning on doing any more MOS: Encore features, or are you done with those now? I haven't seen one in a long time.

I was wondering the same thing.

Anyway, the song's good, but I don't seem to be feeling the same way about it as everyone else here. Guessing that's due to the fact that I haven't played the game(s).

I don't care though, 'cause it's a new MoS song on my birthday! *does happy dance*

Lee may be the protagonist, but he ain't the real hero.

NinjaDeathSlap:
I... It's nothing. I just have something in my eye okay!

I got something in my other eye,
*snif*
And there's something in my heart.

I think I have a new favorite song ever. Of all time.
That was superb, Gav.

That was beautiful. At first it almost seemed to low for you, (as in key, not morals) but that gave a nice vulnerability to your voice that made it more heartfelt. Really nice.

That was a damn good song Gav. I usually am of the opinion that your better stuff tends to only come from action games, but that was a standout track.

Plus, as a pianist, I'm a sucker for moody piano lines.

Yet more brilliance from Gav. Funny thing, though, I caught this on Youtube first. :P

.. Ahhhh~ the way you played that song out.

It brought me back memories, tons of memories ... I got a tad sadder then I expected, had to wipe my eye.
This would be the song I would want to play, to reflect on The Walking Dead so I can never forget what has unfolded.

But that one part ... .. .
"Cause I can't always be there..."

.. .. .. :'(

.. .. Hit me good, right there in the feels.
And this song also made me think of Kenny as my bro.................... i'm so sorry Kenny.....
Now tears shed..

I would have thought Justin would have used this scene

Well, another song that was knocked out of the park. I can really feel the emotions just flowing out of this song. The instruments and your voice just just really contains something in this song. I mean you can always tell when you really care about the song, but this is just on a whole different level.

you just made me cry and I never even played the walking dead. you did a excellent job making this song felt very emotional. in fact you did so good; that would have to say it is the best song you made so far.

also do you plan on putting city of night on the escapist because i'm sure there are people who only look on the escapist for your music and it would be a shame for them to miss a good song.

I've listened to this song like 30 times now, and I can't think of anything to say about other than "Dem Feels" :(

I think this would incredibly well as an acoustic cover as well.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Also, are you planning on doing any more MOS: Encore features, or are you done with those now? I haven't seen one in a long time.

This too. I really enjoyed reading this to see MoS tear unreasonable critics a new one hear about the processes and Ideas that goes into making his songs. XD

I never got as emotional during the game as I did during this song. Very well done.

Despite having never played The Walking Dead, I've seen a very good playthrough of it on Youtube. At the end of it I cried. I think that I've, um, gotten over the ending I guess, so this didn't make me cry, but...

Holy crap. That was so touching and heartstring wrenching. Great job!

This sums up the whole feeling of me game for me, the feeling inevitability that you won't be able to fix everything and are just waiting till you can't carry on.

So opinion Brilliant!

I have even yet to play the games (thanks, uni) and this still hit me right in the tear ducts :( Absolutely amazing work, Gav. This one is going straight to the MoS masterpieces collection.

Was it me projecting or did you sound a bit chocked up at around 2:27? Either way your voice-work in this is incredibly heartfelt and genuine. Hats off, good sir.

I liked the song. I still prefer City of Night though...

*goes back to reading Biotechnology textbook*

Eric the Orange:
I would have thought Justin would have used this scene

Yeah, Gav and I discussed how much spoiling we did or didn't want to have in there.

That... that was just terrifyingly haunting. I just experienced the entire 5 episodes worth of emotion all again in one song. I can't emphasise how beautiful that was, Gav. Thank you so much for bringing this to our world.

The last scene, of Clem handing Lee the hammer, while the line "The darkest road ahead you're gonna have to face it, cause I can't always be there..." made me think that the lyric might be from Clem's POV as much as it is meant to be from Lee's.

After all, what exactly is the darkest road?

MrFlipFlops:
I have even yet to play the games (thanks, uni) and this still hit me right in the tear ducts :( Absolutely amazing work, Gav. This one is going straight to the MoS masterpieces collection.

Was it me projecting or did you sound a bit chocked up at around 2:27? Either way your voice-work in this is incredibly heartfelt and genuine. Hats off, good sir.

I'm more shocked he was able to sing it at all without bawling :O

I loved every second of TWD. It is a rare gem not just in gaming but narrative story telling in general, even the show has lost a bit of bite in the shadow of my time with Clem and Lee.

Great song, punched straight in to them feelings.I especialy love the lyrics, that last line without the: "for now ill do the best i can" , that made the water thingys start comming. And i advise people who didnt checkout his yt channel, to do so, becouse the city of night song is fenomenal,and the refrences to the cyberpunk pen and paper game were a really nice touch.

It didn't actually make me cry, like some others here... It was good though, mostly reminded me of the ending. I'd love to see a sequel of the game, with an older Clementine as main character.

Dammit Gav! I don't have any feels, but you got me right in them anyway!

Damn these onions...

Good job Gavin, you really did a good job capturing the emotional aspect of the game :D

All dem feels!

Really good song! Not exactly crying, but dammit I did get a bit choked up. I have a sudden need to reach beyond the screen and hug Clementine (then again, who doesn't?).

My favorite lines are probably:

And I can see your smile is withered-I just love that shot of Clementine that goes with it.

And I can take your hand and guide you-For some reason I'm suddenly reminded of times where Clementine would hold Lee's hand.

Honorable mention: It's better not to care-Though I think this may have to do with that shot of Molly and the face she makes.

I like the first half more than the second half (not for any particular reason though), but its still a very good song, so great job!

Fuck. Seriously. Fuck.

The only criticism that I have is that the last chorus has a bit of empty space that some simple guitar or even more strings could fill, but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

Probably the best of your music as far as being a companion to the game.

EDIT: After listening to it all day, I can confirm that this song is masterpiece and possibly my favorite since Sovngarde Song.

I'm not gonna cry...I'm not gonna cry...I'm not gonna cry...

(Please note that I don't mean any disrespect in this next comment):

A lot of the songs that you do seem to...for lack of a better description, scratch the surface layer of the game and leaves it at that. They sound great and they look great but they never really (for me) make me remember what it was like playing the game. They don't fully capture the game.

THAT....that was just perfection. Maybe it's easier to do with a game like The Walking Dead but you seemed to have turned your talents up to 11 for that one.

Irridium:
:'(

That was beautiful.

I'm scared for season 2 of Walking Dead. Scared it'll break me even more.

I am looking forward to it. EA's early marketing material in the 80's contained the phrase "Can a computer make you cry?" Now, over 30 years later we are seeing interactive material which can truly do just that (Not from EA though!). The Walking Dead and Thomas Was Alone are widening the range of emotions that can be conveyed via interactive media and proving that games can become as much of an art form as TV shows, Movies, stage performances and books and I am happy that it is finally happening.

OT: Manly tears were shed. Brilliant work! I can't wait to hear what you have up your sleeve for next month!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here