Escape to the Movies: A Good Day to Die Hard

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

A Good Day to Die Hard

MovieBob can't quite remember what happens in Die Hard 5.

Watch Video

Chernobyl isn't Russian :P

I like bruce but I doubt I'll ever bother with this one. I respect that a guys gotta pay bills though. It also earns him the title of work-a-day actor which means he'll stay relevant longer than your average shooting/falling star.

MovieBob:
Take a wild guess...

It was the greatest movie of all time and you've felt empty ever since knowing you will never see a movie as good as it?

I kid, we all know it was shit...

On topic: But was Live Free and Die Hard as mind meltingly bad as the last one?

I herd this is worst than the last film, Die Hard 4. Check out Brad Jones review of the film. He reviewed it right after he saw it. Other than you take out John character this could been a whole other different movie.

piscian:

I was about to mention that as well. (^-^)

Interesting to note: MovieBob's two favorites were directed by John McTiernan. Who also did Predator and The Hunt For Red October.

So, you know. Maybe there's something to the guy, making him worth employing?
/except for those unfortunate legal troubles...

This movie must have gotten very little press, because I didn't realize it was even out this week, and I genuinely love the Die Hard movies. Granted, between this and Brad Jones' review... yeah... I think I'll wait for a rental.

At the end of Die Hard 5 I was aware that I had seen a movie's worth of stuff but it didn't feel like I watched a movie, if the movie were food I wold say it was only as filling as a small sandwich. My biggest complaint is that it feels like half the movie is missing, we have build up at the beginning and an ending but the stuff in between happens too fast to mean anything. None of the characters are developed as they should be and this is especially true of the villain.

Wow, I never thought about it, but I have seen every single one of those Bruce Willis movies. I really like him as an actor, even if his stuff is mostly niche at this point. I hope I remember more than you. But there are two ways you can experience life. Or, in this case, a movie. There is the experiencing self and the remembering self. Some things are only good in the experience, other things are only good in memory. Climbing Mt Everest, for example, is famous for being a shitty shitty experience, but a great great memory. Somethings make good experiences and memories, like going on a cruise with your family. Some things are good in experience and not so good in memory. I'm hoping this film makes it into the last category. On that note, the while I remember immensely enjoying Live Free or Die Hard, I couldn't tell you the order of events that happened in that movie. I'm hoping for a repeat of that.

Uh, Bob?

...Since when is "Unbreakable" an action movie?

Aw man! Hudson Hawk is the best!

"God, I miss Communisim.
The Red Threat, people were scared... the agency had some respect, and I got laid every night.
Snickers, brief him. "

:-)

Yeah, it does seem increasingly ridiculous that they're still pretending he's an everyman at this point...

The numbers at the end are what order you have seen the movies in, right?

Die Hard 6:
Same Shit, Different Die Hard

They should hire me to write the next one.
I've already started writing the script for the explosions.

This sucks, although really isn't surprising. I think my order matches up with Bob's.

Smokescreen:
Interesting to note: MovieBob's two favorites were directed by John McTiernan. Who also did Predator and The Hunt For Red October.

So, you know. Maybe there's something to the guy, making him worth employing?
/except for those unfortunate legal troubles...

There might also be something to hiring good directors that know action? Instead we get John Moore?

piscian:

You'd be amazed how many people forget that. Also, at one point, an irrelevant character calls it "Ukrainia". I expect better of anyone sent to Russia as a CIA agent.

Other than that, my main thought was, "and now you all get to die horrible tortured deaths of radiation poisoning," because of the explosions near supposed crates of Uranium at the end.

The movie reaches the point of self-parody because the son gets more hurt than the father, consistently.

This movie was soo bad, i donīt really get why John Mclane was in the movie and why did he insist that he was on a vacation? And there really is something weird about Bruce Willis face in this one, he really does look like Mr Magoo (as they stated in Half in the bag back with their Looper review).

Iīm pretty surprised that Bob had anything nice to say about the first car chase in this movie, i thought that was one of the first edited and messy actionscenes i had seen in ages. Itīs just plain dreadful and confusing.

Yeah, the overkill with the helicopter is pretty obvious from the trailers. I guess we shouldn't have gotten our hopes up...

*puts on sunglasses*

... in Hind sight

Tom Soltis:
I herd this is worst than the last film, Die Hard 4. Check out Brad Jones review of the film. He reviewed it right after he saw it. Other than you take out John character this could been a whole other different movie.

I've been hearing the same thing, that it was largely dialed in, much like the other movies being done by guys like Stallone and Arnie. On top of that is that these guys are getting old, and that really shows a lot of the time. Not to mention that in SOME cases it's a matter where the actors in question were famous largely for doing science fiction action movies with an intrigueing premise behind them, and this is just generic "modern action" that's built around shooting people rather than having that fit into a scenario where it kind of makes sense.

That said, I think people tend to also overlook the actual high points of these movies. The premise of the Die Hard movie BEFORE this one was banal (the whole "Fire Sale" thing, based on implausible hacking), but for all it's flaws it managed to bring with it a few decent people in support. The fight scene between Bruce Willis and Maggie Q for example is fairly well known, and pretty classic, being a pretty awesome moment. While she did a lot of other stuff, that and being able to hold up a quick victim role/fight scene in "Operation End Game" contributed to her landing her own TV series as the new Nikita which is on it's third season and gives her plenty of oppertunities to show off her abillity with choreography (even if she does use a number of stunt doubles, the passing years did have an effect).

I rather like the joke when Bruce Willis appeared on the TV show Mad About You where he was making a new movie entitled "Die, Already." Apparently, that's a fitting moniker for the franchise at this point.

I was sort of hoping for a Beautiful Creatures review, simply because the Twilight reviews were sort of entertaining. Everyone and their dog knows that any new Die Hard sequel is going to be total crap.

The first I'd even heard of a new die hard movie was like... two weeks ago... and till today, I had forgotten about it.

Dear Movie Bob,

I've seen every one of those movies, save for Expendables 2 (first was an abortion, didn't wants to see a 2nd abortion of the same baby).
~
~
~
~
~
******SPOILERS!************:
To what happened during A Good Day to Die Hard: Kid McClain kills someone undercover, via Russian mob hit, to get close to known Russian bad-guy during trial to bust him out. Older McClain just went to Russia to get his son out of prison because he thought he was in trouble (didn't get memo it was CIA cover). Russian bad-guy was supposedly old partner to now-Russian political big shot, possibly running for Russian leader(not sure, confused on Russian politics), and is going to court to 'speak out' about him. Politics guy tries to kill Russian bad-guy in courthouse, but young McClain gets him out, older McClain gets in the way,...queue car chase. After chasing bad guys wreck car, good guys go to "safe house", where another CIA op and young McClain tell him deal is a file for bad-guy out of Russia (and daughter, now). Safe house compromised, explosions, shooting, escape, run to hotel under construction, to meet daughter and get key. Meet daughter of bad-guy, find that she's double crossing them (anyone with a brain saw this coming and figured she was the chick in the mask at the court house). More shooting, killing with a knife-gun (cool, by the way), and cowboy-boot bad guy escapes to queue the helicopter scene where it shoots building and McClains jump out of the window into a construction garbage shoot. Boring talk scene between McClains about childhood, giving up, give some plot information on file (which was about partnership between original Russian bad guy and politic guy in how they were stealing nuclear material from Chernobol and caused the meltdown). They head to Chernobol, bad guys already there and opening vault; political guy calls cowboy-boot guy and tells him to kill the daughter and father when they get file. Vault opens, find out it was filled with weapons grade plutonium, no file, and daughter double-crosses the people she was working with to then find that she was working for her father the whole time (a double-cross double-cross, with reverse criss cross twist...with me so far?). Apparently the whole thing about the file was a ruse to use the political guy to help the original Russian bad-guy escape with billions of euros worth of weapons grade plutonium; queue a hired masseuse strangling political guy. McClains show up, kill some guards, trap Russian bad-guy in vault as daughter comes back. Now there's a gun fight, a grenade explosion with gas leak for extra explosiony goodness, and for some random reason the father escapes to the roof...of all places. Young McClain chases to roof to have shootout there, old McClain jumps into the back of a moving helicopter to try to kill daughter there. Drives truck, chained to the helicopter, out of the back of it to make it spin everywhere while more shooting happens. Young McClain throws father off of roof, where he predictably lands into the tail of the helicopter and becomes a minced-meat pie. Daughter yells "Bastards! ... This is for papa" and flies helicopter into building to try to kill McClains. They jump into pool below and survive. Ending is them hugging with daughter-McClain at airport in US of A.

Overall, not a "BAD" movie, but still not as good as the last two.

rickynumber24:

piscian:

You'd be amazed how many people forget that. Also, at one point, an irrelevant character calls it "Ukrainia". I expect better of anyone sent to Russia as a CIA agent.

Please! The C.I.A. Chief of Forward Operating Base Chapman couldn't even be bothered to have an informant searched before bringing her entire staff to debrief him personally

Die Hard 5, Die so hard... that he didn't... again...

Oh, I watched the one with Jet-Lee in, and I thought it was so pitiful (making Jet looking like the honorable good guy who's ass kicking the stupid cops around)I skipped all the die hard that came after that...

So the third act of Die Hard 5 rips off the second act of Metal Gear Solid?

It would have been awesome if, in the second fight against the HIND, a blonde-mulleted Cam Clarke showed up and screamed, "EAT THIS!" For that, I would have paid nine bucks.

DVS BSTrD:
Yeah, the overkill with the helicopter is pretty obvious from the trailers. I guess we shouldn't have gotten our hopes up...

*puts on sunglasses*

... in Hind sight

Nice.

OT:
I'm one of those people who thought even the last one with the "MWAHAHAHAHA NO 401K FOR YOU!" bad guy was great, but even I have to agree with Bob on this.
This new one so utterly forgettable and uninteresting.

And for the record, I definitely agree with Bob's ranking. One's the best, but three is damn good.

Right Bob... Bruce Willis was "kinna out of shape" in Die Hard 1... riiiiight O_0

I kind of get the feeling that Hollywood doesn't know how to do Action anymore... im still upset that 'Taken 2' sucked so hard.

Do people remember the broken glass scene in the first die hard? Where the bad guys realise JM is bare footed so they shoot out all the windows covering the floor with broken glass so he's trapped or has to run across the room slicing his feet to ribbons, which he does and in the next scene you see a floor covered in blood and John McClain in agony pulling glass out of his feet while smoking. And now we have him thrown from a helicopter through a glass window, fall through more glass celings and only get a graze.

MovieBob:
A Good Day to Die Hard

MovieBob can't quite remember what happens in Die Hard 5.

Watch Video

If I saw that, I could have saved myself 6 minutes of my life...

Hudson Hawk! One of the best Bruce Willis movies of all time!
I think I saw all of those movies, except for The Whole Ten Yards that was not launched in Brazil and The Expendables 2, because I didn't want to spend ~10USD in that.

Coming Summer 2015...

Autumn Hills Retirement Community faces its toughest challenge yet.

A senile NYPD detective who single handedly saved the world five times.

SHUT UP AND DIE HARD, ALREADY

Zero Serenity:
The numbers at the end are what order you have seen the movies in, right?

Nah they'll be the order of Die Hard films, best to worst. It is the only true order; any other is wrong - and I've not even seen 5!

DVS BSTrD:

*puts on sunglasses*

... in Hind sight

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook