Escapist Podcast: 080: Aliens: Colonial Marines And The Best Kind of Water

Pages 1 2 NEXT

080: Aliens: Colonial Marines And The Best Kind of Water

This week on the podcast, we discuss the Colonial Marines debacle (and how we think it might have happened) along with singer Chubby Checker's unusual lawsuit. We also talk about our favorite kind of tap water (yes, really), and what the future might hold for the used game market.

Watch Video

better late then never!

Thanks for the podcat, PodCatters!

1) I know who chubby chucked is.
2) this is the second podcat to mention chubby checker. You guys wanted us to insert Chubby in the twist of movies.

No idea who this chubby guy is.

I will now continue to listen to the podcast.

1) I know who Chubby Checker is
2) I agree with the whole colonial marine, i didn't know Gearbox did Duke Nukem (This has put down Gearbox in my opinion), and the anger at Colonial marine is likely from the people who pay attention to gaming news and who makes and produces games.

I don't know who chubby checker is.

Also "chubby" is slang for a semi erect penis. Subtle but vitally important difference.

Janelle had far too much fun saying penis this penis...I mean podcast.

Also, I have no idea who Chubby Checker is.

Yay! Podcat! Also, I love the new logo.

And yes, I do know who Chubby checker is.

1) I have absolutely NO IDEA who Chubby Checker is.

2) Yay Ampersand-Chan!

The backwards-compatibility issue is one that I, as a (mostly) PC gamer, have dealt with for a long time. As I understand it, when we're talking about PC (Windows) it's nominally limited by the processor architecture type to one generation previous - 64-bit and 32-bit are generally "standard" and backwards-compatible with software designed on a 16-bit architecture. The 16-bit cores can run software from the 8-bit era, etc. (Disclaimer: This is what I remember from when I was 14, I could potentially be talking out of my ass here) Some things, as I discovered in high school when trying to play and mod games from 2003, require tinkering, but in general this is sensible; these limitations stem from the nature of the hardware's advancement.

I don't know console hardware that well, so how processor architecture affects the issue here I couldn't tell you. But the idea that a PS3 can't play PS2 games strikes me as a PC gamer as patently absurd (which is part of why I bought a PS2 and a cheaper 360 instead of a PS3). If I stick with a Sony console I should be able to use games for an older Sony console because I am being loyal to the brand. I am continuing to patronize Sony, and a decent business should honor continuing patronage from customers by, in good faith, providing what I believe is a relatively simple function. Used games are a gray area, for understandable economic reasons, but backwards compatibility is not under that grey umbrella. We ABSOLUTELY should have it on consoles unless their is a fundamental architecture-related issue which prevents it.

Also, Janelle (Ampersand-Chan) said it best: "Bullshit."

My PS3 is "simulated" backwards compatible. It emulates the PS2 framework to run the older games. This works great for most of the games that I use that feature for but other games like GTA3+ and the Ratchet and Clank series, that have to render large 3D spaces, it lags to the point of unplayability. Pure emulation will be an even harder issue for this upcoming generation. When the PS3 was just released, I remember how Sony was advertizing how due to the unique way the PS3 was put together it was more secure. This was to appeal to developers who were worried about losses from piracy. The downside of this is that it was very difficult to develop for and as a result, devs turned to the competition because it was less of a hassle. If Sony looks at that stumbling block and makes their new console in a way that makes development easier for developers then backwards compatibility for PS3 games might be near impossible without basically having a PS3 inside the PS4.

Also, according to my programming teacher backwards compatibility is one of the largest pains in the ass to account for in programming. He mentioned a couple weeks ago that when we ask for backwards compatibility from a company, we truly don't realize the size of the request we're making.

I know who Chubby Checker is, and for reason his song, "The Twist", is catchy as hell.

Also, that whole discussion of the "Chubby App" was the best thing ever. :D

I knew of Chubby Checker before listening to the podcast.

Also, if you ever see a cereal commercial, the milk is actually glue.

When I saw "best tasting tap water" on the docket, I knew without even needing to listen to the podcat that New York would come up.

Seriously, y'all are missing out.

Edit: Also Paul's right, the first 20/60gb PS3s had full backwards compatibility because they had the PS2 CPU in there too. They tried software emulation on the first 80gb PS3s, but it didn't work very well. No idea whether it was hardware incompatibility or just lazy software dev.

To be fair, that was prolly part of the reason the PS3 at launch was like $600 (and still selling at a loss.) Iirc, pulling the Emotion chip out of the PS3 is part of what allowed them to cut the price to something more reasonable.

Really, I think they should just release a backwards compatible and a non-backwards compatible model. I dunno if the extra investment in engineering costs would be worth it though since, as that study y'all mentioned said, it's a feature most people request but don't use. So it's hard to tell if people will buy it... maybe they would "just in case," or maybe they wouldn't because they'd only want it if it's "free." (Obv it'd be part of the purchase price, but consumers don't really make that connection for standard features.)

A:CM: I can't believe that any amount of chopping and changing or lack of communication could cause anyone to think the AI, plot and many other features were good. No matter what each person's vision was, they did not aim to make a terrible game. As suggested I think it was a case of things weren't getting done so they pushed it out the door so at least some people would buy it. The resulting bait-and-switch is unfortunate for those who saw the game demo.

Used games and etc.: Any reduction in functionality, use, rights, anything to do with a game that eventuates from changing from a single purchase, unlimited use model needs to be compensated for in price. If games that were previously bought once suddenly adopt subscription models, if games that used to be resellable become user-locked, if content that was previously included becomes segregated, the price needs to reflect that. And I'm not sure how much other people value being able to play a game whenever you want, or being able to recoup some of the costs once it is used, but the reduction would have to be dramatic for me to consider buying in.

And Chubby Checker has done more damage to his brand by suing H-P than they did themselves, because now people actually know who he is and the connection is being made obvious. That's Somebody's Law, whoever said they didn't want pictures taken of their house or something. I had no idea beforehand and even if I had heard about the app, which is also getting publicity, I wouldn't have made the connection because I didn't know who the bastard was.

EDIT: Oh look, 1234 posts.

Nice to hear some reasonable discussion about the entirety of the used game sales debate. It's not something I commonly run across (especially in my experience on this site). It's a mess and definitely is a very broken model that everyone is locked inot but yet benefits very few. I wouldn't say that I would applaud either Sony or MS if they went the no games route (I buy the occasional used game and I do sell played games as well), but that's what it might take to curb the parasitic practice that is the GameStop business model.

And honestly, while I do know who Chubby Checker is, I have actually almost never heard the term chubby used to describe a penis. I mean, I've heard the term but it's far and away one of the least common ones I've ever come across. If someone mentioned a "Chubby Checker" app to me, my first thought on it's use would absolutely not be anything to do with the size of male anatomy.

21:45 It absolutely IS false advertising, what wasn't mentioned in this video was they said "you will do these sequences" (like the sentry gun in the tunnel) and they said they had AI that would use the environment to it's advantage, neither was delivered, they said it was gameplay that would be in the full game, and it wasn't, "WIP" doesn't cover that, unless they went out of their way to say they were removing sequences they promised, which they didn't.

penis, penis, penis, aliens, water, used games, penis
[podcat in nutshell :D ]

I have the exact same tech-problem... I like to see myself as a living embodiment of Murphy's Law when it comes to technology.
If I am near it, it will find a way to break.
Weirdly, things that *aren't* supposed to work, tends to work when I'm around... it's weird.

Anyway... I could go on a long rant for how used games, and being able to lend games to friends and so on has been a big part in how I actually get to play stuff but, I'd need more coffee and it'd all just come across as long and rambly. Much like that sentence that I don't feel like editing.

Great podcast though and, I'm really happy I was too broke to get ACM on launch. At first I was bummed about it because I'd been looking forward to it... then your stream happened, as well as the reviews. Then I wasn't bummed anymore! Yay!

You guys lie too us every podcat. "We read all the emails and respond too them either on the cat or in email responses." I have sent you three starting with the Podcat for The Dark Knight Rises. Yet to receive a single reply. Not that I would expect it if you didn't literally say that at the end of every podcat.

Matthewmagic:
You guys lie too us every podcat. "We read all the emails and respond too them either on the cat or in email responses." I have sent you three starting with the Podcat for The Dark Knight Rises. Yet to receive a single reply. Not that I would expect it if you didn't literally say that at the end of every podcat.

They say they read them and respond to some via email. I have sent them a good 20+ emails, 5 of which they responded too on air and the rest are unanswered or were similar to other question. Also the podcat for the dark knight rises is like year old now. They aren't going to add more too it.

Matthewmagic:

We read every single email, but it's true we don't respond to every one. I'm sorry that we haven't responded to any of your emails, but it's usually just up to the individual editors to decide whether they have a response or not. I'll look through our list and see if I can answer your questions or comment in some way.

Greg

Greg Tito:
*snip*

Actually this is my own fault. Somehow I can listen too everyone of these and still miss hear the end but hey, talent. I was only trying to poke fun anyways like I said I really didn't think you could I just thought you guys always said you did.

This podcast makes me wonder, is Greg the only Escapist staffer not to live with another Escapist staffer...or ex-staffer?

I did not know who chubby checker was. I did love the Chubbycat, very funny.

Surely if the majority goes into the alien game thinking "I am going to get to play the game just like the demo woo" even if they know it won't be the same, but will play something similar to that, they are false advertising.

Little Duck:

Surely if the majority goes into the alien game thinking "I am going to get to play the game just like the demo woo" even if they know it won't be the same, but will play something similar to that, they are false advertising.

Sir, you need your own badge for those sigils.

OT: I wanted to count how many times Janelle said 'penis'. I was laughing too much to keep count.
Which is unfortunate as I'm sitting in a train looking like a psycho. :P

And I still have no idea who Chubby Checker is! Other than an embarrassing app.

There's got to be a magic number, or point, at which a game has been in development for X amount of time beyond which it is guaranteed to suck. I'm suggesting 5 years, maximum.

Ideas for stand-alone for future Podcats: Tape, Candy, Tap water.

Chrono212:

Little Duck:

Not gonna lie. I am still really surprised this has you know been featured and stuff. I feel really honoured by all this.

Chrono212:
There's got to be a magic number, or point, at which a game has been in development for X amount of time beyond which it is guaranteed to suck. I'm suggesting 5 years, maximum.

Dragon Age 1, Morrowind, Fallout 3, FF12, Half Life 2, Starcraft 2, TF2, Shenmue, and RE4 all took 5+ years to develop. I don't think it's so much about the amount of delay as the reason for it, though obviously if graphics advance too far, that's an issue. Ambition often ends up having a time cost. Personally I'm a huge fan of releasing things "when it's done", though I understand that not all studios have the financial and/or publisher support for that kind of approach.

Tisiphone1:

Chrono212:

Dragon Age 1, Morrowind, Fallout 3, FF12, Half Life 2, Starcraft 2, TF2, Shenmue, and RE4 all took 5+ years to develop. I don't think it's so much about the amount of delay as the reason for it, though obviously if graphics advance too far, that's an issue. Ambition often ends up having a time cost. Personally I'm a huge fan of releasing things "when it's done", though I understand that not all studios have the financial and/or publisher support for that kind of approach.

Damn. My half assed theory has been ruined. Ruined!

Some of those titles were scrapped and then launched in name only. But that's only in Fallout 3's case. Otherwise I whole heartedly agree with "when it's done", but only if it is achievable.

All I know about Chubby Checker is what I gleaned from the podcast way back where you guys discussed what the big twists to movies (Sixth Sense, Planet of the Apes, Crying Game, etc) would be like if instead of the punchline, it was just Chubby Checker doing the Twist. That was SUCH a good podcast.

....aww....now I just remembered how much I miss Steve being on these. :(

I have that same super power when it comes to cars and motorcycles.. if something can break it will >.<

"Chubby" is a descriptive word of "Fat" and "unproprtionate" in slang. i got no idea win what universe would anyone associate word "chubby" with a penis, unless they are trying to say that the guys penis is overweight. So naming app to check penis size "chubby checker" makes no sense to begin with. Not that this "Chubby checker" guy (which apparently is his nickname and not real name anyway) is any trademark to begin with. But we have to remember that americas trademark law is beyond ridiculous, where you are allowed to trademark such things as "round corners", so i guess this is a court worth dispute. and while i think the whole situation is silly, i am angry at HP for their bad design traps that i sadly got into so i have no love for them anyway.

travel tips: if you don't want anyone to sit next to you

If you think someone is going to sit next to you, smile at them and pat the seat next to you, I can garantee they wont sit next to you.

Little Duck:

Chrono212:

Little Duck:

Not gonna lie. I am still really surprised this has you know been featured and stuff. I feel really honoured by all this.

Janelle house of chubby checking
that would be one hell of a sigil.

What, 'penis' is a dirty word now? It's an anatomical term, no different from 'liver', or 'pancreas'...

And I didn't know who or what Chubby Checker is. Maybe it's an US thing or something?

I have no idea who Chubby Checker is, but then again I'm Norwegian.

Lieju:

And I didn't know who or what Chubby Checker is. Maybe it's an US thing or something?

No, but Chubby Checker, the artist, just hasn't been relevant before this for a few decades, since he was pretty much a one-hit-wonder in the 60's. And hasn't been actually-relevant since.
So don't feel too bad for not knowing who he is :p.
I just know because I got the question in Trivial Pursuit enough times to remember.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here